Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congratulations on killing the economy by stifling free enterprise, commie.

You're god drat right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Our sites aren't allowed alcohol so everyone goes to the pub on Friday 4pm and the team leads expense it as team building.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Our office hours are officially 9-6 so 5pm is game here.

8:30 am meetings can gently caress right off though, that's only 15 minutes after I get up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We have an open bar every Friday from 5-8. Only beer and wine these days, used to be hard liquor too. Booze is free but you're expected to donate like $5-$10 (or more, or less, no one checks) to the charity of the month. There's a lovely pub literally in the building so people typically migrate there after an hour or so.

It's pretty great. We also occasionally do shots for birthdays, promotions, and departures but that's more rare these days. Still got a bottle of Johnny Walker Island Green I'm going to break open tomorrow, our (only) network guy is moving to Vancouver since his wife got a job there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I block out 5:30 to 9:30PM on my calendar as busy every day. We have west coast offices and occasionally I'll get asked to attend a late PST meeting, but I just block the time out and haven't had a problem in a long time. There is the occasional exception, but the 4PM PST meeting requests pretty much stopped. That's my time with the kids. I"ll attend whatever they want after they go to bed if they feel like a late meeting.

If I ever become the boss, I'll push for no meetings on Mondays or Fridays, and only between the hours of 9-12 and 1-3. If a non manager is spending more than 10 hours a week in meetings, there's a problem.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Place I worked at only did lunch meetings because they catered it. Everyone was a tech so that was the best time to interrupt everyone rather than screwing with us while we were working.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had to hear a sermon every time I did an expense report that had alcohol on it at my last job. That's when I started just turning in the summary check.

I also managed to tag along on some swag dinners with the higher ups. You know, the kind with $3000 liquor bills and all. I figure those fucks owe it to me if I'm being sent down to Mexico by myself for weeks at a time at age 25.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What company doesn't give food to their contractors but gives food to their full timers? Like are the contractors suppose to sit there and watch everyone else eat? IDGI.

Microsoft is notorious for this. It's like a loving caste system, and the contractors are Untouchables.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

My previous company had rather lax policies regarding that, don't go over your individual daily budget and you can expense a reasonable amount of drinks. "Reasonable" not being defined or quantified in any meaningful way. So one colleague would expense dinners for everyone. Next colleague would expense a fuckton of drinks and a bowl of peanuts as 2nd dinner while still being within budget.
It was an otherwise miserable company to work for but I spent almost 2 years traveling around Asia eating Wagyu beef and tomahawk steaks left and right accompanied by a "reasonable" amount of alcohol.

My last job had a similar "be reasonable" policy (no restrictions, policy not documented anywhere because basically no one traveled, I made a point to check up on it), and after spending two weeks on the road I had to have a sit-down meeting with a VP because one of the receipts I turned on had two beers on the itemized receipt. She wanted me to pay back the company an amount I felt was "appropriate" because getting expensed for alcohol was not allowed. At that point I had worked three weeks straight of 12-hour days to almost singlehandedly cut over half a dozen locations to a new network following a merger, and instead of any thanks or congratulatory messages, I got "you violated a policy that doesn't exist and should be ashamed of yourself, pay us back $12".

Yeah it still makes me mad.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The lesson I was taught was 'never turn in an itemized receipt'.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just pay the sum you feel is appropriate: Nothing

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Previous company let you expense freely. Until one time the IT crew ordered a lot of expensive drinks. The company did not look kindly on that. Since then, there's been a €20 limit on dinner expenses per person.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Place I work closes up shop at 6pm.

I already work 9-6, but then they (3 times a year) want to have a company meeting starting at around 7pm "if you can make it". I showed for the first one because hey, probation period but I have 0 intention of going to any more. If you want me to go to work and then only start driving home 11 hours later without paying me past my scheduled time, you can gently caress off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our company is closed on Good Friday. That's not too bad.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Microsoft is notorious for this. It's like a loving caste system, and the contractors are Untouchables.

Most of the large tech companies do this as well. There was a stink made a few years back in CA about contractors being statutory employees because they were being treated like employees, getting lunch and attending holiday parties and the like. So now they are excluded lest someone sue.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Nike doesn't let their contractors use the on campus gym. "Culture of sport"

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Our office has no set hours really.. Some people are in by 6AM, some come in at 7, 7:30, 8, etc.. And then leave at random times anywhere between 4 and 5:30pm. Last one out has to close up the building.

On Fridays we have what is called the "4:46 club" in which everyone piles into the conference room to drink a few. It starts shortly after 4pm.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

tortilla_chip posted:

Nike doesn't let their contractors use the on campus gym. "Culture of sport"

Previous company did this as well. I was not a fan of that. Current company has no in house gym sadly

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Peachfart posted:

The lesson I was taught was 'never turn in an itemized receipt'.

Truth.

We have an individual set of guidelines when it comes to our travel and expense policy, and it's pretty generous, but if there are 2 or more employees the meal gets reclassified as a "business meal" and there is no limit or guidelines at all. We don't get crazy or abusive, but we don't shy away from spending either. It's nice while it lasts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If we don't turn in an itemized receipt, we don't get reimbursed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I get good friday and easter monday for stats :smug:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Only Easter Monday for me. Got to work on Good Friday.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What does Stat mean in that context anyway? My Canadian boss refers to them, but I always thought I was mishearing through his accent. Is it slang for state holiday, or is there something else to it?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What does Stat mean in that context anyway? My Canadian boss refers to them, but I always thought I was mishearing through his accent. Is it slang for state holiday, or is there something else to it?

(Stat)utory holiday.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Our rule is that you should feel free to expense a handful of drinks with dinner, but if you're gonna go to the bar and pound six tequilas in thirty minutes, maybe you're responsible for that one

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yup, as said, statutory.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SEKCobra posted:

Just pay the sum you feel is appropriate: Nothing

The end of the meeting was the VP saying she would talk to my boss, and then an hour later me going on two weeks vacation (after working 21 days straight). No one ever said anything else to me about it and I never paid anything back. Pretty much soured my relationship with that VP though, and was the first of several incidents that led me to leaving that job. 5 months later and they still haven't refilled my position. Hope that $12 in beer was worth it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sirotan posted:

The end of the meeting was the VP saying she would talk to my boss, and then an hour later me going on two weeks vacation (after working 21 days straight). No one ever said anything else to me about it and I never paid anything back. Pretty much soured my relationship with that VP though, and was the first of several incidents that led me to leaving that job. 5 months later and they still haven't refilled my position. Hope that $12 in beer was worth it.

Unless they're aware that their behaviour is what made you leave, from their point of view you were the one unreasonable. I mean, the way they see it is this: the company policy says to not do X and you did. Who's to blame here? All that other details (working 21 days straight, etc.) are just noise.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Are you guys also getting April fools mails from recruiters?

I’m getting amazing offer for 25k gbp without relocation for IT Response Engineer. It was automagically matched by their big data machine learning algorithms.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

skipdogg posted:

We have an individual set of guidelines when it comes to our travel and expense policy, and it's pretty generous, but if there are 2 or more employees the meal gets reclassified as a "business meal" and there is no limit or guidelines at all. We don't get crazy or abusive, but we don't shy away from spending either. It's nice while it lasts.

When traveling for work, we can expense up to $75/day for meals. So in practice this means everyone eats the cheapest poo poo possible for breakfast and lunch. Then we pool all our money for a baller dinner someplace nice, with room for several drinks apiece. We did this to great effect in Vegas last year.

Vulture Culture posted:

Our rule is that you should feel free to expense a handful of drinks with dinner, but if you're gonna go to the bar and pound six tequilas in thirty minutes, maybe you're responsible for that one

Also this. My boss (and his boss) are very cool about approving basically anything that isn't flagrantly abusive. Don't turn in an itemized receipt for 10 beers and nothing else, and you're totally fine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Protip about LinkedIn messages that took me far too long to realise: you can just ignore the fuckers. Used to reply to them all and nicely tell them to go away. Not sure why.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

That first one amuses me because growing up my friend's dad used to play wolfenstein at work and he had a hotkey, nicknamed the boss key, he'd hit it and it would bring up a pie chart or some poo poo so it looked like he was working.
A lot of older games had boss keys. Some were seriously trying to make it look like you were working, other were more as a joke.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So my request to go to Defcon got shot down simply because it is in 'Vegas, lol'. CCC is still on the table at least. :unsmith:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volguus posted:

Unless they're aware that their behaviour is what made you leave, from their point of view you were the one unreasonable. I mean, the way they see it is this: the company policy says to not do X and you did. Who's to blame here? All that other details (working 21 days straight, etc.) are just noise.

Lrn2read. Sirotan said there was no written policy, and specifically asked after it before leaving.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Speaking of beer, we have a restaurant in our office building that serves beer and every Thursday/Friday I see people having a one with their lunch and I'm jealous because my company explicitly forbids drinking during office hours.
I'm not getting paid for my lunch hour so by definition it's not company time and I'll have a beer for lunch if I want to.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip about LinkedIn messages that took me far too long to realise: you can just ignore the fuckers. Used to reply to them all and nicely tell them to go away. Not sure why.

The same dude from a staffing agency in a state I moved out of 5 years ago still sends me job offerings every single month. I've never once responded to him.

The way I see it is they work in sales. If he has a job I'm finally interested in, he's probably not going to pass up a potential sale just because I ignored his emails all this time :v:

I don't regularly read this thread but man, I can't even order a beer on lunch at my job. Occasionally the company will do after-hour functions which typically has an open bar at least.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Volguus posted:

There was no company policy, and I guess I don't really give a poo poo if they think I was the unreasonable one or not. At the time the VP talked to me like I was a child, and my spineless boss who approved everything before it hit the VP's desk could not/would not back me up. If they had approached it like "Hey sirotan, we know you probably got some conflicting information, and this policy is not actually documented anywhere, but just so you know we don't allow alcohol purchases on the company tab. Just don't do it again, ok?", instead of "We have rule followers on this team, and they think you broke the rules. We need you to pay back the amount of money you spent on alcohol for the course of this trip. No, I'm not going to give you a figure, you need to pick what you think is appropriate". Hell, I probably would have given them their drat $12 just to be done with it, if she'd actually followed through.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is it even worth a VP's time to lecture a subordinate over $12?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I guess I don't mind a polite "please don't do that again", but don't ask for the money back, that's just petty.