Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

BotL has successfully articulated the painfully obvious mundane point that the Empire was written broadly enough to stand for both everything and nothing. He'd proud of this because he's an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

No...the Star Wars canon is what works are and aren't part of the ongoing narrative.

Any ongoing narrative is purely a construction by the reader, including whether or not one story is a sequel or prequel to another. No authority can determine what fiction is "real" in relation to another.

Yaws posted:

BotL has successfully articulated the painfully obvious mundane point that the Empire was written broadly enough to stand for both everything and nothing. He'd proud of this because he's an idiot.

I feel no pride or any other emotion. They have been purged through flagellation.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 27, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Any ongoing narrative is purely a construction by the reader, including whether or not one story is a sequel or prequel to another. No authority can determine what fiction is "real" in relation to another.

The license holders absolutely can. That's literally the JOB of the Story Group.

Sure, you can make up your own head-canon as a reader...but that's not what officially counts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

The license holders absolutely can. That's literally the JOB of the Story Group.

Official interpretations of art are an authoritarian gesture. Fans are cretinous enough to want it because freedom terrifies them, even when applied to the continuity of space wizard books.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 27, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Official interpretations of art are an authoritarian gesture. Fans are cretinous enough to want it because freedom terrifies them, even when applied to the continuity of space wizard books.

Or fans want to enjoy an ongoing narrative?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Yaws posted:

If it's so obvious why's everyone jumping on the guy?
"You're wrong."
50 posts later
"You're right, but your point is painfully obvious."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Or fans want to enjoy an ongoing narrative?

Nobody enjoys canon or needs it to enjoy an ongoing narrative. It is a device to safeguard against the terrible freedom of interpretation.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Shanty posted:

If it's so obvious why's everyone jumping on the guy?
"You're wrong."
50 posts later
"You're right, but your point is painfully obvious."

It's almost like BotL has nothing new to say! Crazy innit?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Brother Entropy posted:

yuuuup

the first order isn't really meant to evoke anything real world, it's just evoking the previous galactic empire. it has some vague nazi trappings because the empire had some vague nazi trappings

it's this weird echo of an echo that ends up feeling more vacuous as a result

Ah, the First Order is Waluigi.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

wyoming posted:

Waluigi is far too charismatic and well spoken for that comparison.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

I feel no pride or any other emotion. They have been purged through flagellation.

:yeah:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

wyoming posted:

Purple and yellow is a pretty color combination, so they're on the right path...

Instead of the Wilhelm Scream, Waluigi's WAH is used instead?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nobody enjoys canon or needs it to enjoy an ongoing narrative. It is a device to safeguard against the terrible freedom of interpretation.

Actually, writers need it in order to be consistent from book to book or film to film, you loving dweeb.

Yes, you are free to pick and choose whatever idiot fantasies infect your syphilitic brain, but when working on an ongoing work intended to be told as a cohesive story, it is kind of loving important to know which version of events 'actually happened' for the purposes of the stories you are telling. In the case of Star Wars, there was a decades long expanded universe that had to ruled 'out of canon' with regards to the new films, because otherwise they don't loving make sense.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Caros posted:

Actually, writers need it in order to be consistent from book to book or film to film, you loving dweeb.

Yes, you are free to pick and choose whatever idiot fantasies infect your syphilitic brain, but when working on an ongoing work intended to be told as a cohesive story, it is kind of loving important to know which version of events 'actually happened' for the purposes of the stories you are telling. In the case of Star Wars, there was a decades long expanded universe that had to ruled 'out of canon' with regards to the new films, because otherwise they don't loving make sense.

lol ease up turbo it's just star wars

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Caros posted:

whatever idiot fantasies infect your syphilitic brain,
hey man speak for yourself...im normal

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

lol ease up turbo it's just star wars

I haven't a clue why people take Star Wars so seriously compared to all the other movies out there. It's Star Wars and superhero movies; people get so bent out of shape over them and it just doesn't make any sense.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't a clue why people take Star Wars so seriously compared to all the other movies out there. It's Star Wars and superhero movies; people get so bent out of shape over them and it just doesn't make any sense.

Star Wars is real.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Caros posted:

This implies that they made sense beforehand.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Timby posted:

Ron Howard officially has the lone directing credit on Solo, while Lord and Miller are now credited as executive producers.

lmao. they better have gotten a massive payday for losing the credit

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Caros posted:

It's important to know what not-real events not-actually happened.

But more seriously, you're making the same basic mistake as jivjov by confusing "canon" with "continuity," and only accounting for narrative continuity.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 27, 2018

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao. they better have gotten a massive payday for losing the credit

They're still exec producers. This is a juicy bit of Hollywood gossip talking all about it. Disney, are you loving this up?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

But more seriously, you're making the same basic mistake as jivjov by confusing "canon" with "continuity," and only accounting for narrative continuity.

"The Canon" is the term the Star Wars franchise uses to refer to its continuity

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

J_RBG posted:

They're still exec producers. This is a juicy bit of Hollywood gossip talking all about it. Disney, are you loving this up?

'Exclusive insider' tacitly applauds every action multinational corporation take, how unusual.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

J_RBG posted:

The amount of takes being correlated to how good or bad the directors are is really funny. You won't hear anybody say that Kubrick was out of control and unprepared for doing a horror movie cause he did 500 takes of Scatman Crothers talking about telephatic powers to a child.

Don't gently caress with Disney, they will bury you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Pachebelus The Baroque?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

"The Canon" is the term the Star Wars franchise uses to refer to its continuity

Exactly, it's purely a marketing term.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's appropriately religious, really.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i could have sworn that "canon" as it relates to fiction started off as a joke term for continuity, and at some point it stopped being a joke

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Serf posted:

i could have sworn that "canon" as it relates to fiction started off as a joke term for continuity, and at some point it stopped being a joke

I have no doubt it did, but we're kind of beyond that point now, and it's the term used to refer to continuity in fiction.

Canon (fiction)

quote:

The use of the word "canon" originated in reference to a set of texts derives from Biblical canon, the set of books regarded as scripture, as contrasted with non-canonical Apocrypha. The term was first used by analogy in the context of fiction to refer to the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels, written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as contrasted with numerous Holmes adventures added later by other writers. This usage was afterwards extended to the writings of various other authors.

The term "canon" nowadays refers to all works of fiction within a franchise's fictional universe which are considered "to have actually happened" within the fictional universe they belong to.

Language evolves. You can think it's dumb, and you wouldn't really be wrong, but it is a thing, and arguing that it isn't a thing because it didn't used to be a thing is also dumb.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

“Trying to mimic Harrison Ford is really tough,” our source says. “Lucasfilm wanted something very specific: copying someone else. Alden’s not a bad actor — just not good enough.”

(...)

"[Of] course Phil and Chris’s fingerprints are all over the movie, given how much they put into it and the time they put into it"

“It’s exactly the same script. They’re filming exactly the same things. There’s nothing new,” says the actor, adding: “Lord and Miller] used whole sets. But Ron is just using parts from those sets. I guess they’re not shooting wide angle. Maybe to save money."

This is incredible. Too bad that Disney got rid of them "early", we could've have another Justice League trainwreck to make youtube comparison videos.

Instead we just going to get a tv movie with "not a bad actor" doing a bad harrison ford impression.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know what it says about me that I unironically find BotL's posts extremely entertaining but, well, here we are

There's just the perfect balance of "extremely wrong," "deliberately obtuse," and "actually kinda right this time" to be highly readable.

Yaws posted:

To jump off of this: I hope that Episode IX's creative team remembers that the Rebels/Resistance vs. Empire/First Order conflict works best as a backdrop for character-level drama because of that broadness. I think that's part of why Empire Strikes Back is so much better than Return of the Jedi. Its focus is on specific character conflicts and interactions with the Empire almost filling the role of the zombies in a decent zombie movie--an encroaching, destructive force beyond any one character's control that pushes the characters we actually give a poo poo about into conflict. Return of the Jedi spends so much time on this big, climactic battle between the Rebels and the Empire that the only part of it with any teeth is Luke and Vader in the last act.

I really hope that Episode IX doesn't make the same mistake, really. The First Order isn't any more interesting, detailed, or nuanced than the Empire and it's not going to become that in a single film, so the war is best used as background, not the focus of the story.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think they just should forego the obvious and have IX take place 10 years after VIII, in the same vein as I and II.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

J_RBG posted:

quote:

So, are the reshoots quantitatively making Solo a better movie? The actor says morale on the production improved by leaps and bounds with Howard’s arrival but points out it’s impossible to measure quality without seeing the final cut. He also points out that the financial underperformance of the last Star Wars installment — which fell $200 million short of analysts’ predictions, according to The Wall Street Journal — has incentivized the studio to make the Force strong with this one. “They have to make [Solo] good after The Last Jedi didn’t make as much money as expected,” he says. “If they want to keep making Star Wars movies, it has to be good.”

I knew it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
"The Last Jedi only made 1.3 billion so Solo better make more than that or we may not get any more Star Wars movies."

It's like they're holding Star Wars for ransom. They're saying hey fans, you don't get to be discerning and choose which Star Wars you want to see, you have to support every single turd be put out or else no more Star Wars. gently caress that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Speculation based on analysts expectations. That’s as good as fact I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A problem with the First Order is that it doesn't tell you what it is. The Empire is an empire. The Old Republic was a moribund republic. The Separatists were a secessionist movement. The First Order is what exactly? No character simply exposits a comprehensive explanation you can take at face value; you have to do your own reading.

We've had this discussion before. The First Order rose "from the ashes" of the Empire, characters talk about it as if it's a small remnant of the Empire, but it clearly has this massive base of support. Meanwhile the Rebellion is over, and the New Republic is somehow a different entity from the Resistance.

A long while back someone likened the New Republic to the Spanish Second Republic and the First Order to the Francoists, which makes the most sense to me. The New Republic is a weak provisional government that has to ally with a non-state resistance movement to fend off attacks from a radical counterrevolutionary movement, which is itself just a continuation of the Empire that came before.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Expert analysts expect Episode IX to make at least a zillion-quadrillion dollars.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

A problem with the First Order is that it doesn't tell you what it is. The Empire is an empire. The Old Republic was a moribund republic. The Separatists were a secessionist movement. The First Order is what exactly? No character simply exposits a comprehensive explanation you can take at face value; you have to do your own reading.
It's also in the name. It's an order that thinks of itself as "first," as in hearkening back to a previous time, and superior.

quote:

A long while back someone likened the New Republic to the Spanish Second Republic and the First Order to the Francoists, which makes the most sense to me. The New Republic is a weak provisional government that has to ally with a non-state resistance movement to fend off attacks from a radical counterrevolutionary movement, which is itself just a continuation of the Empire that came before.

This is already pretty obvious from material contained in The Force Awakens.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well there's a scene that's just Snoke having this explained to him, so how can you fault me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Harrow posted:

To jump off of this: I hope that Episode IX's creative team remembers that the Rebels/Resistance vs. Empire/First Order conflict works best as a backdrop for character-level drama because of that broadness. I think that's part of why Empire Strikes Back is so much better than Return of the Jedi. Its focus is on specific character conflicts and interactions with the Empire almost filling the role of the zombies in a decent zombie movie--an encroaching, destructive force beyond any one character's control that pushes the characters we actually give a poo poo about into conflict. Return of the Jedi spends so much time on this big, climactic battle between the Rebels and the Empire that the only part of it with any teeth is Luke and Vader in the last act.

I really hope that Episode IX doesn't make the same mistake, really. The First Order isn't any more interesting, detailed, or nuanced than the Empire and it's not going to become that in a single film, so the war is best used as background, not the focus of the story.
This is part of why I think TLJ is a lot better than TFA. TLJ's biggest flaw is that, like TFA, it doesn't do a good job of putting the Resistance/FO conflict into a larger context, but its plot is much less dependent on that and more centered around the personal drama of Luke, Rey, and Kylo (as well as the fleet and Canto Bight subplots, to varying degrees of success). Whereas the climax of TFA (at least the non-Kylo parts) rely entirely on caring about a larger conflict that the movie never feels a need to go into.