Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Serf posted:

wouldn't urban far cry just be like dying light but without zombies

Also A lot more guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Hows the AI in this one? Does bumpng it up to hard make the fights worthwhile as most footage I've seen has a lot of the enemies running around more than returning fire.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Earwicker posted:

wasn't that supposed to suck? tbf i never played it just remembering the general consensus from back when it came out
I enjoyed it but plenty of people had valid problems with it. But i don't think one of those problems was that it was an urban environment.

I cited that as a way an urban far cry might look

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that makes sense. I also think something like The Saboteur could be a good model (absent the silly black and white gimmick)

Dying Light was great but imo a big part of that game is ammo/weapon scarcity and navigating via parkour, for me it was often a much slower game than FarCry style stuff but maybe thats just how I played it

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Serf posted:

Would only really work if you get the movement options that Dying Light had and decent level design. Between the grappling hook (which lets face it was a non swinging spider man webshot), paktor, and climb able ledges everywhere was what made running around in Dying Light fun.

Serf
May 5, 2011

BexGu posted:

Would only really work if you get the movement options that Dying Light had and decent level design. Between the grappling hook (which lets face it was a non swinging spider man webshot), paktor, and climb able ledges everywhere was what made running around in Dying Light fun.

agreed. if you were to go with a 1930s-ish setting to explain why you aren't constantly getting swarmed by cops while fighting gangsters or whatever it would own

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I mean they did have a game set in 10000 BC before this

lol

I suppose I meant 'period setting', like the western setting that was rumoured a while ago.

moist turtleneck posted:

There's a Vietnam DLC

:o

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I know we had long talks about cultist diversity, but 90% of the Bible crazies I’ve shot in the first 2 hours have been stringy haired white dudes, and I’ll be honest - some solid stress relief after the last couple of years.

Also luv my pup, he’s an extremely good boy.

Edit: Game also has really nice explosions. Debris game on point when you blow up shrines.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

drat the writing is bad and it's gone into infinite loads necessitating a reset trying to go shopping twice (uplay integration with those silver bars loving up?) but everything else is a goddamn blast. And fishing! Finally a western game that jams an out of place and fun fishing minigame in.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

dropkicking chuds to own the libs

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Hurk is the best. For some reason he’s the only companion who ever revived me, and he basically does it no matter what. His only issue is blowing up the animals I’m trying to kill, but he makes up for it by just devastating everyone. I just park him in the middle of the road while I go do stuff and he just wrecks every passing truck. <3 <3

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Shadski posted:

Hows the AI in this one? Does bumpng it up to hard make the fights worthwhile as most footage I've seen has a lot of the enemies running around more than returning fire.

AI, from what I have read in reviews and watched on streams, is pretty mediocre at best. NPC's that do some crazy things (Which can be bad and good - With good defined as pure hilarity.) And enemy AI is about on par with the other AI systems of previous Far Cry's.

Note of warning if no one knows this, but it looks like when you are NOT the host of a coop game, your progression isn't saved. I was under the impression you would be able to have your progression come with you after you join a buddy. If so, hopefully they can patch this soon.

Gamefly shipped mine out so I will either have it for PS Pro today or tomorrow. I am excited to see what this looks like on my 65" OLED in 4k/HDR - game looks gorgeous. I also hear the sound is fairly top notch.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Utnayan posted:

Note of warning if no one knows this, but it looks like when you are NOT the host of a coop game, your progression isn't saved. I was under the impression you would be able to have your progression come with you after you join a buddy. If so, hopefully they can patch this soon.
This seems to be a purposeful game design choice

Orv
May 4, 2011

BexGu posted:

Have you clambered around much? They just straight up jacked the movement system/animations from Dying Light and shoved it into this game. It's kinda nuts.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Morter posted:

This seems to be a purposeful game design choice

That's a real bummer. What would be the reasoning?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It was like that in FC4 as well. You should still keep your character progression, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You keep individual progression, skills, guns, certain kinds of PoI loot (though as the joiner you don't get the silver bars from outpost safes so go back for those on your own) you just don't get story/mission progression when you go 'home'.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Le Saboteur posted:

I felt the opposite on Normal difficulty the auto aim had me hitting everyone so easy by just tapping the left trigger so I turned it off to see how that felt.

What the effect of changing the difficulty, anyway?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is the spawn rate tied to difficulty level or something?

It's on the edge of obnoxious how I can't drive 50 feet without something happening.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ogdred Weary posted:

What the effect of changing the difficulty, anyway?

So far the game only says incoming damage is what changes.

Orv posted:

Have you clambered around much? They just straight up jacked the movement system/animations from Dying Light and shoved it into this game. It's kinda nuts.

Whaaat? It seems identical to FC4. What's different/resending Dying Light to you?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as long as I can still run and then slide while shooting an arrow into someone's face I'm good. I loving hate any first/third person shooter without a "running slide" which is part of why I thought Wildlands sucked so much (MGSV gets a pass because it not only had tactical rolling but also a tactical jumping dive)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

Whaaat? It seems identical to FC4. What's different/resending Dying Light to you?

You can do the Dying Light Mario jump, like jump land jump immediately to kind of skate forward and fly further, the clambering animation is the exact same as the Dying Light one (granted I think that might just be the same across both games because how many ways is there to animate that), the jump feels exactly the same to me. Honestly it's most likely that FC 3 & 4 already felt like Dying Light and I just only have such a vivid mental connection because I just started replaying Dying Light.

E: And because they've served up a lot more Dying Light style jumping puzzles this time around, like the Dumpster Diving prepper stash.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 27, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stayed up for the game to unlock at 11pm, then pretty much played until 12:30am.

It's more of the same which is cool. I love Far Cry because it's always Die Hard on an island, or a mountain, or in a forest. Gun play is good, sound design seems to be a step up from the previous games.

I like that you start with the ability to pull people off ledges and through windows.

Looks loving rad in 4k HDR. When the fog lifted off Dutch's island the whole river started to reflect the sunlight. I'm loving how open it is (compared to previous games).

I'm eager to get home and play some more. I'm a huge FC fan, have been since the first game. Loved 2-4. Each one has been an improvement.

Ignore the reviews, if you liked 4, you'll love 5. Ubi games usually go on sale pretty quickly (digitally) so if you're on the fence just wait two months or so.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Earwicker posted:

wasn't that supposed to suck? tbf i never played it just remembering the general consensus from back when it came out

at launch yeah. but they patched the ever loving gently caress out of it and its actually pretty decent now. also the dlc stuff is good too.

its very far cry like though not as mechanically sound. if you can find it cheap, buy it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Beastie posted:

Stayed up for the game to unlock at 11pm, then pretty much played until 12:30am.

It's more of the same which is cool. I love Far Cry because it's always Die Hard on an island, or a mountain, or in a forest. Gun play is good, sound design seems to be a step up from the previous games.

I like that you start with the ability to pull people off ledges and through windows.

Looks loving rad in 4k HDR. When the fog lifted off Dutch's island the whole river started to reflect the sunlight. I'm loving how open it is (compared to previous games).

I'm eager to get home and play some more. I'm a huge FC fan, have been since the first game. Loved 2-4. Each one has been an improvement.

Ignore the reviews, if you liked 4, you'll love 5. Ubi games usually go on sale pretty quickly (digitally) so if you're on the fence just wait two months or so.

B-but Polygon says it is a terrible game and I should feel deep shame for enjoying it?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Game owns but I die all the time lol. Also boomer fucks up stealthy approaches because he randomly attacks cultists :(

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I played for 15 minutes this morning and it's pretty fun. It's more of the same so it's funny that writers are getting mad that they named the game Far Cry 5 like it was supposed to be a deep introspective look at current events

I assume these people also got mad at the new Star Wars being like the old Star Wars?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm having a blast but I had to replay that mortar bit 4 times because:

• Merle got downed right by the helicopter so I had to jump out and save him while being ambushed by 4 guys with shotguns
  • some weird bug where after I got into the helicopter I died instantly so I had to replay the whole thing

I have a few freezes and animations not working, but I'm hoping they'll get patched soon.

Otherwise, the game is good. Just don't go near the roads.

Edit: After playing Primal for the past few weeks I'm so glad they added the ability for animal companions to swim.

Orv
May 4, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

Game owns but I die all the time lol. Also boomer fucks up stealthy approaches because he randomly attacks cultists :(

Ironically by creating they first useful AI companions (ie they can actually kill things) in video games, they are totally useless because they have absolutely no self-control.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't understand Polygon and Giant Bomb anymore, it's like they fell completely in love with their own memes and vanishingly small amounts of internet celebrity and spend all their time compounding that rather than providing funny or insightful content. And this all rapidly happened like, within the last year.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

WMain00 posted:

B-but Polygon says it is a terrible game and I should feel deep shame for enjoying it?

Just don't plz

exquisite tea posted:

And this all rapidly happened like, within the last year.

Jeff lost about half his soul and about 80% of his sense of humor the day Ryan died.

I still love the guy, but he's not who he once was. Giantbomb in general were becoming more cynical for quite a while until the split into Giantbomb East where Vinny was able to inject his personality into what is essentially a new brand of Giantbomb which is great.

Giantbomb West in general feels like they try too hard these days not to piss any of the hardcore easily outraged crowd off and in general that means being kind of cynical which is fine for a certain age group but as an older guy, I just prefer the light-hearted nature of Giantbomb East. I don't have the time anymore to get angry about my toys.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 27, 2018

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Orv posted:

You keep individual progression, skills, guns, certain kinds of PoI loot (though as the joiner you don't get the silver bars from outpost safes so go back for those on your own) you just don't get story/mission progression when you go 'home'.

Ah, ok. As long as you keep the loot its all good in my mind then.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Orv posted:

Ironically by creating they first useful AI companions (ie they can actually kill things) in video games, they are totally useless because they have absolutely no self-control.

Meh, I've found human companions can be stealthy. I was with one guy who took cover a lot and when I commanded him to attack a guy he ran in yelling "IMMA gently caress HIM UP" :black101:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

WMain00 posted:

The Seed family is definitely less interesting than Pagan Min or the crazy dude from 3. But let's be real here I play the game because it's a Rambo simulator, not for it's insightful commentary on society.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

exquisite tea posted:

I don't understand Polygon and Giant Bomb anymore, it's like they fell completely in love with their own memes and vanishingly small amounts of internet celebrity and spend all their time compounding that rather than providing funny or insightful content. And this all rapidly happened like, within the last year.

It helps if you just listen to MBMBAM and GiantBomb west crew and ignore the fact that GBEast and Polygon exist if you want the good content.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Beastie posted:

The Seed family is definitely less interesting than Pagan Min or the crazy dude from 3. But let's be real here I play the game because it's a Rambo simulator, not for it's insightful commentary on society.

I'm still mad that they didn't make a lovely Far Cry 3 Movie with the actor that played Vaas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEBOOoERvTk

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Don't worry, there are still plenty of places that will uncritically slap up an 8.5+ if you need validation for your purchases.

I hope going forward they do more with the Far Cry arcade idea - it seems like a lot of really cool poo poo could come out of those tools, especially when they're willing to spread assets around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beastie posted:

It’d be pretty much impossible to top Pagan Min or Vaas, so I’m glad they just settled at “pretty strong villain”, and plus, he has a manbun. That’s all the reason I need to hunt him down right there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone here happen to have an i5-4670K and can tell me if it's possible to achieve a stable 60 fps on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm only about a few hours in but the villains seem a lot less interesting as Vaas or Pagan Min whom I loved. Those voice actors brought so much personality to their characters and the whole crazy cult family members deal seems pretty dull and by the book so far unless it gets really nuts later. Also, why are the long rear end cut scenes not skip able?

Boomer is still the best boy though. And I never knew turkeys could get that big.