Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like Quentin's really only less of a dick now because he's finally living out his dream of being the leader of a heroic quest. If he was dealing with Fillory politics like Elliot and Margo or just trying to better some random people's (elves) lives like Julia he'd still be a whiny dick.

Although its possible that his long life with Elliot chilled him out. The fact that they happened together makes it hard to figure where to draw the line between the two things. Either way he was a massive dick in the first two seasons because he had a massive inferiority complex, especially as it relates to Julia. Now he's finally at some kind of satisfied peace so he's chilling out.

I think Q was always just a social outcast, along with his diagnosed mental illness(es) just always felt like an outsider. Getting into BB's was his catharsis. Julia was always the cool kid and now that Q has something she doesn't that's why he was a dick to her. But I think everyone is learning they need each other to make it, so the dickishness has died down.

Nihonniboku posted:

I hope now that the quest to restore magic is winding down, they start to deal with their memories of their parallel life together, and possible lingering feelings they might have for each other. What's really unique about their relationship is that it kind of throws out the old trope of the gay character falling for the straight character. Who knows who initiated their threesome back in season one, but it was Quentin who initiated the hookup this season. And in the book, there is a brief moment where Quentin walks in on Eliot with another male student at Brakebills, and he feels jealous that Eliot never gave him that kind of attention.

I think I'm just running under the assumption that everyone is pansexual at this point. I feel like this show doesn't make a big deal about non-hetero intimacy and I think that's what I like about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aexo posted:

I think Q was always just a social outcast, along with his diagnosed mental illness(es) just always felt like an outsider. Getting into BB's was his catharsis. Julia was always the cool kid and now that Q has something she doesn't that's why he was a dick to her. But I think everyone is learning they need each other to make it, so the dickishness has died down.

I'm trying to keep a fair mind about him. Like I really do think he stayed a dick way past the point he was "accepted" with the cool kids of Elliot and Margo and his treatment of Julia passed that point and was about how he had always felt inferior/jealous/unrequited about Julia. And that his turn around is tied to him literally finally becoming the hero of his very own Fillory book like he always dreamed and not any kind of personal growth or anything.

But that doesn't mean that he can't just be changing for the better regardless of how it happened. And maybe all this stuff, including the Mosiac life, is getting him there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aexo posted:

I think I'm just running under the assumption that everyone is pansexual at this point. I feel like this show doesn't make a big deal about non-hetero intimacy and I think that's what I like about it.

Oh, I know. I was using "straight" and "gay" loosely.

Would having sex with magical creatures like werewolves be included under the umbrella of pansexuality?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Would having sex with magical creatures like werewolves be included under the umbrella of pansexuality?

Only if there's a satyr involved. :v:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

WrightOfWay posted:

I wonder if Kady was a member of the main group in timeline 23? She's the only main cast member that was unaccounted for in this episode.

i have a theory on how that went down

we know in tl 40 penny and kady hit it off after their first class together. presumably if julia had gotten into breakbills she would've been in that too. hypothesis: in most other timelines, it's julia penny ends up with after that class

we also know that in tl 23 henry fogg didn't try to take martin on head to head after the physical kids summoned him in the same we he tried in tl 40, what with him still being alive + having his eyes when we meet him in tl 23.

we also know that in tl 40 Kady tries to battle magic the beast in that initial encounter. hypothesis: without fogg intervening as directly as he did in tl 40, kady usually dies at that juncture when the beast responds viscerally to her battle magic.

final hypothesis: in tl 23 kady was some girl who went to the physical kids' parties to steal stuff for Marina sometimes, but was never even peripherally part of the core crew

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 27, 2018

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Dick Josh kept talking about "the quickening" is that a reference to the Highlander movies? The tagline in those movies is "there can be only one" or something similar. Does this mean there can be only one Josh? Is he destined to be killed over and over if they keep crossing timelines? Or does it mean that only one timeline succeeds?

Nihonniboku posted:

Obviously!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would buy a Magicians soundtrack if it had their version of Under Pressure on it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

I would buy a Magicians soundtrack if it had their version of Under Pressure on it.

Their version has basically been stuck in my head since the episode aired, and the shot of Margo and Eliot looking out the port window is now my cover photo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nihonniboku posted:

Their version has basically been stuck in my head since the episode aired, and the shot of Margo and Eliot looking out the port window is now my cover photo.

Same. It's just fun and I've become such a softy that "love will conquer all" really speaks to me. And I love that they all actually sang their parts.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aexo posted:

Dick Josh kept talking about "the quickening" is that a reference to the Highlander movies? The tagline in those movies is "there can be only one" or something similar. Does this mean there can be only one Josh? Is he destined to be killed over and over if they keep crossing timelines? Or does it mean that only one timeline succeeds?

i figured it had to do with the lycanthropy, as in there'll come a time when his transformations stop being Teen Wolf and start being more like American Werewolf in London

but that's just a guess

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In 39/40 timelines Kady was waitlisted.

I sincerely hope that the quickening is a reoccurring issue with whatever poor sods that survived in the doomed timelines attempting to cross over and murdereplace thier other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Please refer to the hookup/murder chart.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I think we need a Josh recap at the beginning of every episode.

e: lmao "eat my rear end"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
We don't know what the siphon is, correct?

I'm guessing the Library wants it hooked up to the magic pipes to get an unlimited flow of magic power for all time to ensure that they never lose magic again.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
EAT MY rear end

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ha! Humbledrum!

Edit: gently caress! My DVR cut off right at the end there! What did Quentin say?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 29, 2018

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Ha! Humbledrum!

Edit: gently caress! My DVR cut off right at the end there! What did Quentin say?

Which was the last sentence you heard?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

crazypeltast52 posted:

Which was the last sentence you heard?

His father asking him what he named his son.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Nihonniboku posted:

His father asking him what he named his son.

Quentin named his son after his father. And that was it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

He said “I named him after you” and it may have made a small tear, from allergies, roll down your face. Or whatever, that is a guess.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like they're actually well prepared for whatever's behind the door turning magic back on considering they have magic in general turned off. Even if all the key mojo is used just opening it, they have full God-mode Julia, a god killing bullet, and a siphon that seems like it should be able to be attached to whatever comes out of it.

It's still guaranteed to all go sideways, but on paper it seems like the right call to go for it and hey they've come this far right? My blind pick for the crazy thing to happen at the end of the season is Kady getting straight up killed by whatever comes through the door while everyone else is able to get away, and then we get some kind of arc with her and Penny-40 in the underworld, maybe culminating with both of them being able to move on together somehow rather than Penny coming back to life, or taking over Penny 23's body.

I'm also glad I was right about how stuff went down with the faeries, it's just good sense all around and I love that Margot won the vote just because she didn't completely react disgusted when talking to a drunk bear about romance while the men were going crazy with posters and promises that wound up not mattering. I didn't expect a faerie eye to get thrown into the mix, that was a nice touch on top of the general eye restoration I figured would be coming. As much as the faerie queen was selling the idea of just waiting things out, after how much she emphasized that faeries going back on a deal was going to really gently caress over their whole power structure getting a proper alliance in place and full reproductive abilities with it is just good political strategy on her part, I totally bought that she was ready to sign on the dotted line there and giving Margot the enhanced eye was a real solid way to start off that new relationship on the right foot.

Also nice to see Frai wound up released by the Faeries to bum around Fillory, I was curious what had gone down with her after the secret of her true parentage was out. All things considered she kind of lucked out.

Now I want next season to have the Faerie queen and Margot putting out political fires and drama together and forming a fun mentor-mentee relationship after how much hate they had this season.

Overall lots of fun developments in this episode with a few minor bummers, but I just know we're going back into classic Magicians "This is so hosed up" territory in the finale and start of next season and it's gonna be glorious to see how they try to fix things when everyone has their superpowers back.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
moment i loved: Kady and Julia's little United Front when Penny suggested killing Reynard. It seems like they're making up!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lupus Rufus posted:

moment i loved: Kady and Julia's little United Front when Penny suggested killing Reynard. It seems like they're making up!

Julia really is the best. Stella Maeve's voice is so soothing when she's in god mode.
Penny 23 hasn't been a prick yet.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I had a lot of difficulty sleeping last night, and I spent much of the night thinking about the show.

I'm pretty sure Alice tricked Quentin into taking the siphon from her. She said she wanted to find an alternative way from having to steal Julia's powers, and I think she is doing that by doing some reverse psychology on Quentin. "Oh, Quentin, you musn't!"

Also, I got to thinking about the ending of the second book and how it may affect the season finale (Major book spoilers): Even though there is no monster in the book, after they use the keys at the end of the world unlocking magic, Quentin is forced to leave Fillory forever, never to return. What else would Quentin23 be so afraid of. All Quentins are obsessed with Fillory, and Quentin 23 had his collection of Fillory artificats. What else would Quentin23 be so afraid of other than being forbidden from ever returning to Fillory. In the book it's because he already used his passport, a plotpoint never introduced in the show. But it could be due to the fact that they have 7 keys, but 8 people on the quest. They keep on stressing that there are 8 of them. Maybe it's not Quentin who can't go through, maybe it's Julia because she's becoming a god. Or Maybe Penny23 because he is in the wrong timeline.

But more reasoning why I think it's Quentin is because last season he spent some time with Umber inside Umber's newly created world. In the 3rd book, other than trying to bring Alice back to life, he spends much of the book learning how to create worlds of his own. Maybe that's where they'll go.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rocksicles posted:

Julia really is the best. Stella Maeve's voice is so soothing when she's in god mode.
Penny 23 hasn't been a prick yet.

I guess it's possible that he's real evil and just slowplaying it, that's always a plausible twist. I'd be game for an evil version of one of our protagonists to run around messing stuff up. He'd probably need some kind of hidden powers if he's kept that hidden while standing next to "I feel all emotions" Julia though.

I just now realized that the 23 version of Julia's dead friend hasn't been seen since fleeing into the 40 timeline, I like that she just peaced out since she wasn't part of the core group, and it'll be fun to see them go run her down in some random season 4 episode when they inevitably need an acquaintance for a favor, which has been the story of this quest but really the Magicians in general.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 29, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nihonniboku posted:

We don't know what the siphon is, correct?

I'm guessing the Library wants it hooked up to the magic pipes to get an unlimited flow of magic power for all time to ensure that they never lose magic again.
It seemed like it would divert all (human) magic to them to distribute as they saw fit. They could keep it all or hand it out to those they deemed trustworthy or useful.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Quentin, if only you knew someone with god-powers that is getting into the business of answering prayers and might be able to heal your father.

If only.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
They addressed that on the show though. Julia told him she can't do anything right now since he's perfectly healthy and once magic gets turned back on there's no way of knowing what will happen to Q's dad. Maybe she could bring him back from the dead but we don't know if she's that powerful.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mortanis posted:

Quentin, if only you knew someone with god-powers that is getting into the business of answering prayers and might be able to heal your father.

If only.

If only the writers had inserted a scene that directly addressed these points in the episode in such a way that the audience was informed AND tensions were built.

If.

Only.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

I really liked the interaction between Q and his dad, specifically that Q didn't go to ask his permission, but to tell him he was going to do it and he was sorry. Shows how much he's matured/progressed since the beginning, and how much he learned in his previously lived life (he's a father, it becomes a father to father discussion).

Also I really hope it's Q that heals his own father (which happened in the books right?).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mortanis posted:

If only.

There was like a whole scene in the episode where they talked about this.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mortanis posted:

If only.

lol

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well poo poo. Somehow I missed that or plain forgot about it. If only I'd been paying attention.

If only.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FOOTAGE NOT AVAILABLE

"you know it's weird that Jacked Up is bad but Jacked Off is great"

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Aexo posted:

Obviously!

When our Josh ask Dick Josh about the quickening, DJ says "nothing you need to worry about, just be glad you didn't bang a werewolf." So my guess would be that both Joshs got some form of Lycanthropy, DJ is just aware of it unlike our Josh.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Our Josh is also aware of having it, he just never told Dick Josh because Dick Josh is a dick.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

Our Josh is also aware of having it, he just never told Dick Josh because Dick Josh is a dick.

I ment our Josh doesn't know what the quickening is. He banged a werewolf but up until now, he didn't know of any side effects.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Atreiden posted:

I ment our Josh doesn't know what the quickening is. He banged a werewolf but up until now, he didn't know of any side effects.

Who was the were wolf or whatever in the dungeons at Brakebills in season 2?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

geeves posted:

That was Josh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

geeves posted:

I had totally forgotten that, but went back and found the episode. It's Josh as Error 404 says and he mentions he got a mild case of sexual transmitted lycanthropy.