Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

The Iron Rose posted:

the weapons are really really satisftying to use in the little I played last night. Shotguns practically roar in your hands, it's a lot of fun. Dragon's Breath rounds are crazy awesome and crazy fun, but I've no idea how to get more of them.

the opening helicopter scene was just hosed in a real good way

There's a skill that unlocks the incendiary rounds for purchase in shops, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I unlocked a hunter camo that says 'what the buck' goty

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first walk into the cult compound oozed menace, at least, and that dude bringing down the helicopter by mulching himself in the propellor sold that these dudes are hardcore into protecting Joseph. I mean, eeeesh.

It wasnt as good as the Vaas stuffsure, but IIRC that was kind of a happy accident. They werent planning on him being such a central figure to the game but Mandos performance was so good they upped his role substantially. I think the real failing of Joseph as a villain isnt the writing as much as the acting. Mando and Baker sold their roles so well.

The intro plays a lot better if you have headphones on. The ambience of the compound surrounds you really well and the wailing and gnashing of the followers as you're leading Joseph out with the soundtrack mixed in is quite tense.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
God the gunplay is good. It's way sneakier and tactical than Wildlands is and Far Cry has never really had any pretensions about actually being a tactical game.

The AI is fun go up against, they will try and rescue their downed friends so you can

oops and i just tried to drive-by a moose on a 4-wheeler and it did not go well. This game is great, the story and writing aren't that bad, and it's a friggin' action FPS who cares about story beyond it providing impetus for gunfights and crazy setpieces

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 27, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bonobos posted:

So assuming I have both a ps4 pro and Xbox one x, which version is the one to get for the better performance / experience?

Also, does this have any local coop? Id like to play with my wife also but it google is telling me no, though some peeps in this thread seem to be doing just that.

Xbox One X is by far more powerful than the 4 pro. I haven't seen if Digital Foundry put up a comparison but so far Pro runs some adaptive resolution while the X has native 4k and better framerates.

Co-op is online only. Halo and COD games are the only fps' I can think of off the top of my head that have splitscreen.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Everyone's raving about bears and shotguns and fires but I've just been fishing for the past hour. Fishing is fun.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Hey, how many people should we send to service a high-risk arrest against a heavily armed militant religious group that's already had incidents with local police? Four guys? Yeah, four guys seems fine."

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Bonobos posted:

So assuming I have both a ps4 pro and Xbox one x, which version is the one to get for the better performance / experience?

Also, does this have any local coop? Id like to play with my wife also but it google is telling me no, though some peeps in this thread seem to be doing just that.

No local coop via split screen. Not sure about LAN coop. In my case, my wife is frequently out of town for work/school so she has a PS4 at her apartment and we play games together online when she's there and not at home.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I got drugged and baptized by the cult. Didn't expect that

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tumble posted:

The AI is fun go up against, they will try and rescue their downed friends so you can

I was so glad that came back, it was one of my favorite parts of 2. I actually didnt use the .50 caliber sniper because the SVDs lower damage meant better gutshot potential.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Wel0, finally got unlocked and played some - didn't help that Ubi originally linked the UK preload/unlock schedule, which was different than the Yanqui Imperialist version.

Running midrange graphics, looks pretty good except that is the *ugliest* loving hair I've seen in a game recently - it appears to be sculpted poo poo, for the most part. :barf: FOV seems... off, somehow, but I'm just coming off a Fallout 4 binge, so that may be part of it.

Got to watch a lone cultist scream a warning about a cougar before getting mauled, at which point kitteh started looking at me and I started arrow-to-face. Also saw (from across a river) a cultist being chased by a cougar or wolf, which was being chased by a bear, which was being chased and shot at by another cultist. :getin:

Now, I just need to find a store, get more weapon slots unlocked and figure out why the Ubi Club thinks that I played 0 hours/minutes, even though it properly registers that I started 4 hours before I quit, and also that I still don't own the game (when trying to acess the free AR skin reward).

Does the "loot" flash for containers/plants/corpses only kick in at shorter ranges? With no minimap, it feels like I have to be right on top of stuff before getting any indication that I can interact with things.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Also: no knife? Then what the gently caress was that giant deerstabbin' Buck folder that Dutch whips out, Ubi? Looks like something useful for more than just random hobo murders, hmm? :ese:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Why do enemy bodies disappear when I liberate an outpost?

I want to loot them. :argh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Now I know what you're thinking, I'm not going to have you climbing towers all over the county for me" Well Ubi, I guess you learned your lesson.

Game is good so far? It feels different from past Far Crys and its hard to say why. It's just a general sense, I guess.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Is this game CPU-heavy? Realizing my CPU is five years old, trying to think of how i should adjust settings to get the most out of my knifeless romp through middle America

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Magpulse is pretty good, just don't use it on anyone important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVfUti_FiM
(no audio because I'm an idiot)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

1stGear posted:

"Hey, how many people should we send to service a high-risk arrest against a heavily armed militant religious group that's already had incidents with local police? Four guys? Yeah, four guys seems fine."

yeah I haven't gotten too far into the game but the fundamental conclusion I drew from that intro was that the senior marshal is an arrogant idiot who has zero qualms about abandoning people to their death

of course you need quite a bit of suspension of disbelief for the scenario to even remotely work in the first place and they do create a menacing tone, but like no part of the way it starts actually makes sense

e:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Also: no knife? Then what the gently caress was that giant deerstabbin' Buck folder that Dutch whips out, Ubi? Looks like something useful for more than just random hobo murders, hmm? :ese:
you're a cop, cops don't knife people

indiscriminately setting people on fire though...

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 27, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love that my first on my own kill was with a tree branch which is like the club I used in far cry primal :cool:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

LGD posted:

yeah I haven't gotten too far into the game but the fundamental conclusion I drew from that intro was that the senior marshal is an arrogant idiot who has zero qualms about abandoning people to their death

I only played far enough last night to get to the place where you pick your appearance, but yeah, that marshal did do some stupid things like discharging his pistol into the air.

Though what else was he to do? Last time a group of armed marshals went to serve a warrant like this, we got ruby ridge. Going in with just a few local cops was as safe a move as any.

But who cares about doing a tactical breakdown and analyzing escalation of force? Cultists be cultists and killing them is best.

Also interesting, I still have Outlast 2 on my wishlist and it just went on sale...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Stuck on my first real mission... how the hell do you create snacks for peaches the cougar? There's nothing on the weapon/utility wheel. Did I make a mistake by going there first?

Orv
May 4, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Stuck on my first real mission... how the hell do you create snacks for peaches the cougar? There's nothing on the weapon/utility wheel. Did I make a mistake by going there first?

The explosives/throwables boxes have multiple items in them. On PC you mouse over and scroll wheel, then right-click hold to craft. Bait is in, 7?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Orv posted:

The explosives/throwables boxes have multiple items in them. On PC you mouse over and scroll wheel, then right-click hold to craft. Bait is in, 7?

Ah thanks, I noticed that but didn't expect it to be coupled with the throwing knife and smoke grenade.

Bonobos posted:

The answer to this is almost always the X. Only exception is some Japanese games where they don't give a poo poo about xbox. e.g. Monster Hunter

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I got this via Steam. What a loving shitshow/mistake. Doesn't autoinstall UPlay. Then, after doing so manually, it whines about EasyAnticheat (or whatever) not being installed.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
So how does the aiming feel in the console versions? Someone earlier talked about there being some kind of weird acceleration.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Joakim Brecht posted:

So how does the aiming feel in the console versions? Someone earlier talked about there being some kind of weird acceleration.

Aim assist is on by default, it makes aiming really easy which feels good but I turned it off for more of a challenge.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Coop kicks rear end. I wish there was a way to share the world progress but my buddy and I are planning on helping each other out through the whole campaign. He flies the helicopter around and I parachute/wingsuit out of it and gently caress dudes up

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Oh, almost forgot - rescued and recruited a dude, went to gently caress up a shrine, and when I put an arrow into the last cultist's eye socket, my pay-pal yells out "YEAH, GET SKULL-hosed!" :black101:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The companions are genuinely the best part of this game and my only complaint is that I think I have to reassign them from the roster menu to the G button every time they die

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Stuck at work so I haven't gotten to play yet.

Are there any vehicles to ambush like the tea trucks in 4? I've always enjoyed sitting in ambush and taking out the trucks with explosives or other tactics.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So my hope for this is "Don't give me plot, I don't care about plot. I already know everything I need know about these assholes, just give me enough ammo to send these fucks to oblivion and let me do my work. Any plot greater than the preamble to "Bad Dudes" is unwelcome and I don't need it."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Joakim Brecht posted:

I am really not enjoying combat at all. It does not feel good, and I've liked every far cry except 2.

Also not really digging the location after an hour. As a British Columbian it's too similar to what I see outside.

And having to choose between a bow OR an assault rifle sucks.

Really hope it picks up...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that shovels are just spears with the club swing animation there's something very satisfying about cleaning a dudes face with a far thrown shovel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Removing the XP-for-action system was a great move. Now you don't feel like you're loving up if you ever go loud because you lose out on all that sneaking/headshot XP.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I am really not enjoying combat at all. It does not feel good, and I've liked every far cry except 2.

Also not really digging the location after an hour. As a British Columbian it's too similar to what I see outside.

And having to choose between a bow OR an assault rifle sucks.

Really hope it picks up...

Wait until you have 7 or 8 points and you can unlock the skill that let's you carry an extra weapon.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I love how effective my hired help has been at stealth killing outer guards as I approach a compound, really makes them valuable.

black.lion posted:

Is this game CPU-heavy? Realizing my CPU is five years old, trying to think of how i should adjust settings to get the most out of my knifeless romp through middle America

I have an i7-3770 system which I built in 2012, but running a 1060 6gb. At 2160x1080 with everything on high the performance test showed a low of 55 and a high of 65 fps, in game it works smoothly and beautifully. Only thing I've noticed is some small object pop in while flying.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 27, 2018

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Man, after playing Siege and Wildlands, it's really noticeable when games don't have a decent ballistics system to let you shoot through like you should be able to, like wood fences and thin metal walls and stuff

It's a little thing but it's kinda missing from this game imo

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
God drat I cannot find any deer to roadkill in the northern area for the side mission.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

Man, after playing Siege and Wildlands, it's really noticeable when games don't have a decent ballistics system to let you shoot through like you should be able to, like wood fences and thin metal walls and stuff

It's a little thing but it's kinda missing from this game imo

Farcry has had poo poo ballistics since 2, I believe. It's amazing how much they've hosed this up since the first game, where weapon spread was one of the most important factors you had to deal with.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Farcry has had poo poo ballistics since 2, I believe. It's amazing how much they've hosed this up since the first game, where weapon spread was one of the most important factors you had to deal with.

I just want to wallbang :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I like having Nick just circling around above you while you dick about, and if anyone so much as looks at you funny he swoops down to murder them.

I also like the way if you pick up a weapon in the wild you own it at the shops, and silenced shotguns. They dont suffer any range or damage penalties, its great.

Im not sure who the lieutenants are though, I have to kill one to unlock a fourth weapon slot.

e: I am very dumb.

Cultural Marxist fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 27, 2018