Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Looks like the society is percolating Necrosia v 2.0 :350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

You fill the thing at the bottom with science and heat it up and the hydraulic pressure forces it to go up through the twisty parts, right?

Hydraulics are a little sciency, but pneumatics are a bit more sciency and if you can use something even more exotic that's ideal, like say plasma or neutrinos.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Leperflesh posted:

Hydraulics are a little sciency, but pneumatics are a bit more sciency and if you can use something even more exotic that's ideal, like say plasma or neutrinos.

Neutrinos? We're not making a salad, this is war! :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Don't forget the tesla coils. Can't have a mad scientist's lair without some giant tesla coils for aesthetic.

And if the warrior caste would've forbidden it as a wasteful expenditure of resources, that's all the more reason to include them as a symbolic act of rebellion! :pseudo:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

PoptartsNinja posted:

I can't do a cave science base map without some silly cave science base poo poo.

I was at laboratory this morning. I did a science.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 27, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

Neutrinos? We're not making a salad, this is war! :v:

Ninja Turtles don't like salad

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So, if lowtax dies and the forum implodes does this thread have an exit plan?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Olothreutes posted:

Wait, what?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

It definitely explains the existence of the Shadow Hawk.

This is really late, but after scuttling around in a Shadow Hawk for like six (contiguous) hours in the Grinder at Adepticon, I have a new appreciation for it. It's not supposed to be fighting heavies and assaults, or even appropriately armed other Mediums. It's designed to run into a Wasp or Stinger in a dark alley and gently caress 'em up, and then do so to three or four more in succession.

I managed to score five kills against lighter or slower opposition, and it wasn't even that difficult. Eye-opening experience.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Wait, what?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Technowolf posted:

Wait, what?

Lowtax literally broke his neck.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
That link doesn't talk about his life at all, I'm confused. It does look like he's getting funding though!

And I hope the Society is setting all that science to a particular project before they osmosis it!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

vorebane posted:

That link doesn't talk about his life at all, I'm confused. It does look like he's getting funding though!

It was in earlier threads, and on his twitter (which is now banned :rip: ). Apparently the cartilage in his neck (cervical vertebrae 4-7) is either seriously degraded or just gone. This is a pretty common way to get paralyzed, so getting it addressed is pretty important and they basically have to put a bunch of metal in your neck to keep things from crushing your spinal cord. Apparently his deductible is $7,000, and according to a thread in C-SPAM he owes the IRS something like $100,000 (take that with a grain of salt the size of the McKenna, it's from C-SPAM). So he probably won't die, but things do not look great.

E: Also there was another announcement that is now gone, so that link is now extra confusing.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 27, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean you see people joke sometimes about Lowtax having the boneitis but he has the boneitis

And it's horrifying

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do you get to owe the irs 100k? How do taxes even work in America? Did his accountant just gently caress him in the rear end?

Anyway I like this forum and is there anything we as a very long popular thread can do together to raise some money for him and still do something fun? Avatar raffle?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Affi posted:

How do you get to owe the irs 100k? How do taxes even work in America? Did his accountant just gently caress him in the rear end?

Anyway I like this forum and is there anything we as a very long popular thread can do together to raise some money for him and still do something fun? Avatar raffle?

Total conjecture, but probably many years of not paying taxes on forums income or something like that, along with lots of penalties for not paying said taxes. It's possible that he didn't have an accountant at all and was just doing it himself.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Affi posted:

Well, you just don't pay them anything for many years in a row. When they eventually catch up with you, poof!

If you're from a civilized country, it's a surprise because you probably have a tax agency that does all the paperwork for you and either just automatically debits you or sends you a single bill. But here in the US, the tax prep and accountant lobby has made sure that that's not possible, so everyone has to figure out their taxes on their own, or pay someone to do it. We're lucky you can even file online.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gwaihir posted:

Well, you just don't pay them anything for many years in a row. When they eventually catch up with you, poof!

If you're from a civilized country, it's a surprise because you probably have a tax agency that does all the paperwork for you and either just automatically debits you or sends you a single bill. But here in the US, the tax prep and accountant lobby has made sure that that's not possible, so everyone has to figure out their taxes on their own, or pay someone to do it. We're lucky you can even file online.

Yeah. I just logged on skatteverket.se and checked my declaration and that it seemed ok and submitted it :(

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
If only this were a feudal society, so that we could pay taxes by raising and maintaining a force of BattleMechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

Not really, no. I'd probably be really sad about it in a blog post on my badly-drawn webcomic.

Worse case scenario, I'd try to continue on Patreon until/unless I found another venue.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not really, no. I'd probably be really sad about it in a blog post on my badly-drawn webcomic.

Worse case scenario, I'd try to continue on Patreon until/unless I found another venue.

You'd probably be able to use the BattleTech forums in the Fan Fiction section at last resort. Or Tumblr, or a blog type site with comments enabled.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Discord server with turn updates as links to a WordPress?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Discord server with turn updates as links to a WordPress?

Kinda surprised PTN doesn't have one already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The back taxes thing was in 2015 and it's paid off. Lowtax is definitely broke, though, and the site runs at a loss, and he likely has other debts, and piles of medical debts are not gonna help any, nor is being incapacitated for months after his surgery.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He should become a mercenary giant robot warrior. :thunk:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Since this thread seems related, there are some half serious discussions about making a replacement forum for the CYOA threads that live in TGR, assuming that SA does indeed die. This is probably close enough to count, and if anyone here has experience as a web UX dev you should come talk too. We have a pair of backend guys but neither of them want to touch the javascript poop.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about the LP zone?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm still getting the map and sprites squared away. I'm going to do everything in my power to have things ready to go tomorrow but I have a lot of spritework still to go. Had to make a few custom ones we're probably never going to see again.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 28, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know I'm in this next scenario and would love to get started soon, but I think I speak for everyone when I say - take your time, and in particular, stop working immediately when your wrist starts to hurt. If we have to wait a few more days that's fine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I just want some opfor teaser stats!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Leperflesh posted:

. . . take your time, and in particular, stop working immediately when your wrist starts to hurt.

Absolutely, please don't hurt yourself.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

I just want some opfor teaser stats!

What if I just let you compare the unit cards? Here's Aeaea's, including the two Osteons that didn't get used.

Here's Rabbit Warren's

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh god, they're all Missingnos! Those Society bastards.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So hologram bullshit or are you just not finished with it yet?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Way too much work was put into the designs of those mesh sprites for them not to be something deliberate, and you can see clearly demarcated silhouettes too.

I should remind people that Clan Society is one of the two factions that never actually lost the ability to produce true Null Sig Systems and Chameleon LPL optical camo. They were just never allowed to put any of it into use in the official toumans because the warriors held such technology in disdain.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

Way too much work was put into the designs of those mesh sprites for them not to be something deliberate, and you can see clearly demarcated silhouettes too.

Just a pixel blur filter and an edge detect filter to hide what the sprites are. No need to disguise the player sprites, since they've been seen already.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just a pixel blur filter and an edge detect filter to hide what the sprites are. No need to disguise the player sprites, since they've been seen already.

Shows how much I know, I assumed you whipped up some grids and drew the shiny effects by hand

Which is what I would've done

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I might have, but my fingers are aching enough already. Good news is, I'm mostly done. I just have to figure out what to do for the last few map greebles. And then clearly mark all the light/heavy woods, building hexes, etc.

poo poo, I have more to do than I thought.

Emergency Teaser!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I can see at least a Turkina Z in the disguised spriting, so looks like we will see the outright highest stock BV mech in the game in action here~

Also yeaaaa baby 8/12 UAC-20 hovers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

I can see at least a Turkina Z in the disguised spriting, so looks like we will see the outright highest stock BV mech in the game in action here~

Also yeaaaa baby 8/12 UAC-20 hovers

:unsmigghh:

• Locked thread