Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
you know what's nice? Having headlights that turn on when you turn the switch!

Turns out the stalk/switch assembly was faulty and the new part arrived today. You really don't realise how much you take working headlights for granted! That'll have to be it for birthday treats this year because I spent close to 11 hours at work by myself.

At least there was a new Roadkill when I got home. They've built what looks like a hillbilly 037 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

Nothing. You should have bought it sight unseen, then taken an uber over so you have to drive it home.

Honestly that's probably what's going to happen today.

Worst case scenario it becomes a hornet car next season.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't miss FB. I haven't had it for a few years now. The only thing you really miss out on are pictures of your friends kids. :v: I never talked to 90%+ of my "friends" on there anyway. I hear it's a good way to sell poo poo vs. craigslist and car forums now, which is about all I'd be interested in using it for.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm giving serious thought to burning the current group, aside from people that I know are part of AI. Then making one of the mandatory request to join questions "what's your forums username". Then doing a search on their post history before approving them, to make sure they're actually on SA.

But... I'm not the only admin in the group, and that might be going a bit too 1984 (even though the group was kinda thrown into my lap at one point - I was the only admin at one point).

There's entirely too many people in there vs how many active posters we have in here, it's very loving obvious a large chunk of the members aren't in AI (or on SA at all).. The random joins are almost nil now that it's a secret group, but still :tinfoil: I've had join questions in there for awhile, but people still blindly approve the requests. :sigh:

gently caress facebook. Start some new forums. Hosting can't be that expensive these days. Charge like 5 bucks or 10 bucks to join. Any overage after the monthly bill is due, put it to a charity in the name of the forums themselves.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Previa_fun posted:

on the other hand I noped out after someone was calling folks' workplaces and poo poo.

gently caress that.

Me too. I'm considering getting rid of it completely.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

bolind posted:

Does one need the other user's e-mail address if one wants to buy him/her platinum?

Buy it, PM me the code and the user, and I'll get it set up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I decided to delete it after I realized that I was just using it as an RSS feed for like 4 news outlets and a few lifestyle blogs, instead of as a social network

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

I decided to delete it after I realized that I was just using it as an RSS feed for like 4 news outlets and a few lifestyle blogs, instead of as a social network

What I'm wrestling with is that I do use it as a social network, but pretty much just with messenger, not any of the other features.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Larrymer posted:

The only thing you really miss out on are pictures of your friends kids. :v:
Thats funny, for some people it was a reason to leave. :v:

epic bird guy posted:

What I'm wrestling with is that I do use it as a social network, but pretty much just with messenger, not any of the other features.
You can disable your facebook page entirely and choose to only keep messenger, which is what I did.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cage posted:

Thats funny, for some people it was a reason to leave. :v:

:thejoke:

Miss out, not miss.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've had join questions in there for awhile, but people still blindly approve the requests. :sigh:

You approved me, so :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Larrymer posted:

:thejoke:

Miss out, not miss.
Gotcha. Didn't know you well enough to tell if you serious or not. Lotta parents in this forum.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

E: The pictures in this post are the earliest pictures of both of my dogs that I have. Murray was 8 weeks, Weaver was approx 10 months and literally about to go into heat when she got spayed about a week after she showed up at the farm.

Are your dogs named after Ghostbusters actors?

iwentdoodie posted:

Our newest dog is timid like that with men. I taught her to shake today, and that's when I really noticed. I have to move my hand in a VERY certain way, or she cowers and piddles. It's loving sad, and if I could meet the oval office that owned her I'd like to see how loving much beating it would take until his rear end does the same.

How the gently caress do you beat a helpless rear end dog? Especially since they dumped her when she was a year loving old? She's the sweetest goddamn dog, just hyper....because she's a loving working dog who needs to be busy.

We had a dog once that had obviously been abused by a man. She was timid around me initially, and pretty much always around other males. Did my best to help her not be afraid of men.
She had a habit of sitting on you foot, presumable so she'd know when you moved.

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is making me miss my dogs hard right now because I'm working and they're at my folks' place since I kinda want to avoid using the kennel for entire shiftblocks until I absolutely have to start doing it. I need a new job as much for myself as for my dogs.

The dupont rotation I work doesn't just gently caress up my life, it fucks up their's too. We don't have a routine set time for walks because I am literally gone for 13 hours when I'm working and then changing over in between shift blocks. No daily routine for a dog is, well, just as bad as it is for a human. What sane person is walking their dogs at 3am one day and 4pm two days later and then 4am for the next four?

This is why I'm willing to commute up to 2.5-3 hours each way in my attempt to find a job with a normal work week. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening, at least it'll be routine and at least I'll have weekends to let them go hog wild on the property the shop's on until my parents sell it.

Why do businesses implement shifts like that in the face of every bit of research that says you get unhappy, unproductive workers?

slothrop posted:

you know what's nice? Having headlights that turn on when you turn the switch!

Turns out the stalk/switch assembly was faulty and the new part arrived today. You really don't realise how much you take working headlights for granted! That'll have to be it for birthday treats this year because I spent close to 11 hours at work by myself.

At least there was a new Roadkill when I got home. They've built what looks like a hillbilly 037 :v:

Too bad I'll never see it since they left YouTube.
I'll probably create an account at MT just to watch Roadkill, as long as it continues to be free. I'm a leech.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cage posted:

Gotcha. Didn't know you well enough to tell if you serious or not. Lotta parents in this forum.

That's fair.

Even being a parent I recognize nobody gives a poo poo about my kid except relatives. She's not posted on any social media anywhere thus far. A few snapchats here and there but that's it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tide posted:

gently caress facebook. Start some new forums. Hosting can't be that expensive these days. Charge like 5 bucks or 10 bucks to join. Any overage after the monthly bill is due, put it to a charity in the name of the forums themselves.

I was thinking about it earlier, I'm sure there's someone ready to take over SA if Lowtax fails to keep it up, I'd be surprised if SA disappeared from the internet. Even if it did we could start out own forum, gently caress Facebook.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
What prompted all this discussion about the forums closing? lowtax being lowtax? I'm clearly not in the know.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Beverly Cleavage posted:

What prompted all this discussion about the forums closing? lowtax being lowtax? I'm clearly not in the know.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
left over extra thick spaghetti sauce makes a mean poor mans sloppy joe in a pinch

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was thinking about it earlier, I'm sure there's someone ready to take over SA if Lowtax fails to keep it up, I'd be surprised if SA disappeared from the internet. Even if it did we could start out own forum, gently caress Facebook.

also, these forums have gone downhill the last few years. people are too sensitive and most of the truly funny people left.

edit again: and if we do make our own forums, i want a cooking forum dedicated to only cheap, easy healthy meals for 2-3 people and creative ways to reuse leftovers in ways you may not have thought about before.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 27, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

On the plus side, it's now extremely unlikely that you'll turn up on her doorstep, sobbing and drunk and begging to be taken back.

Don't worry there will be no chance of that happening ha

And yes I have the video

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
My Facebook has about 15 people on it, all genuine friends and family.

If you don't treat friend count as a contest Facebook is fine. I don't add random strangers specifically to avoid the drama and bullshit.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I still love this forum enough that I'd pay $10 annually to stay on it, I wonder if that's something that would work for lowtax. Anyone else? Or would most of you just peace out?

In fact, I think that's what I'll donate. :10bux: for each year I've been here after the initial signup.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tide posted:

edit again: and if we do make our own forums, i want a cooking forum dedicated to only cheap, easy healthy meals for 2-3 people and creative ways to reuse leftovers in ways you may not have thought about before.

cause there arent like 100 blogs like that already?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How does Drivetribe work? Can we have discussion threads?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Another good use of Facebook... Find out my little sister is getting a divorce. Thanks for the phone call, sis!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This is probably the least toxic car community I've seen online besides hyper-dedicated forums that focus on obscure classic cars

Sure there's assholes, but I feel like it's mostly good natured assholism. Plus, that friction fights stagnation and the echochamber effect that most communities have

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got new tires last week and they've been making sounds like the sticker is still on each tire, but no sticker. People thought it may be adhesive, but it's been almost a week and it's still loud (and tied to wheel speed). I'm wondering if the valve stems could be doing it? I've never even heard of that before, but I can't figure what else it could be.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

cause there arent like 100 blogs like that already?

There's a blog about anything.

But I'd trust what you guys say over some other dweeb that says "This is easy and tasty and cheap!!" then rattles off 10 obscure spices and ingredients that no normal or sane person has.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

LloydDobler posted:

I still love this forum enough that I'd pay $10 annually to stay on it, I wonder if that's something that would work for lowtax. Anyone else? Or would most of you just peace out?

In fact, I think that's what I'll donate. :10bux: for each year I've been here after the initial signup.

Absolutely would and will.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

MomJeans420 posted:

I got new tires last week and they've been making sounds like the sticker is still on each tire, but no sticker. People thought it may be adhesive, but it's been almost a week and it's still loud (and tied to wheel speed). I'm wondering if the valve stems could be doing it? I've never even heard of that before, but I can't figure what else it could be.

Something stuck in the tread is my first thought, but I'll guess that you checked for that already. Maybe something really odd like a loose balance weight or something got inside the tire(s) when they were mounted?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It sounds like it's coming from more than one tire is the strange thing. If you remove the tires from the wheels, I'm assuming they'll have to be balanced again, right?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah I absolutely would pay more than that for a subscription annually type deal. Problem is Lowtax is allergic to money and management.

I donated some bucks last night because I love these dead old forums and feel legit bad for the tax man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where did Lowtax go wrong? Dude used to be really internet famous and was invited to speak at colleges and he fought Uwe Bowl and poo poo.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

MomJeans420 posted:

It sounds like it's coming from more than one tire is the strange thing. If you remove the tires from the wheels, I'm assuming they'll have to be balanced again, right?

Yeah, if you break it down and remount it needs re balanced. Maybe get it on a lift and spin each one and see if it's something not contact related. Only other ideas that presents atm is improperly torqued lugnuts or maybe a slightly warped disc? I dunno. It's been decades since I worked in a tire shop.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

Where did Lowtax go wrong? Dude used to be really internet famous and was invited to speak at colleges and he fought Uwe Bowl and poo poo.

He's steadfastly refused to do what everyone else did and now that everywhere else is poo poo garbage it's telling that something awful is still as good as it is. He still refuses to do a bunch of poo poo that would bring him money.
It isn't the forums that have strayed, it's the rest of the internet imho

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

iwentdoodie posted:

It can go both ways, though.

Personally we had a mini dachshund who lived to 18, and my in laws just had to put their German short hair pointer down last week and she was 14. Pure bred doesnt automatically mean health issues, it's a breeder issue usually.

Our other two dogs are both purebred, but both were also rescues and not a super common breed (Treeing Walker Coonhound.)

Also LA is awesome, losers.

Yeah, my buddy Max was a purebred miniature Schnauzer, he had a good 15 years before he got to the point where he couldn't get around anymore from arthritis and his mind started going so we had to put him down.

I'll probably get another Schnauzer eventually. I wish I had time and room to have a larger dog, but working the hours I work, keeping an active dog around here would be cruel.

KakerMix posted:

He's steadfastly refused to do what everyone else did and now that everywhere else is poo poo garbage it's telling that something awful is still as good as it is. He still refuses to do a bunch of poo poo that would bring him money.

Yeah, I have the impression (disclaimer: the mod star doesn't mean I know poo poo about the finances of this place) that the forums' monetary state is mostly the result of the overall slow death of ad-funded content as a result of the ad business getting so toxic that everyone blocks it and thus nobody pays dick for impressions anymore.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 27, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LloydDobler posted:

This is a good idea and I will hop on this bandwagon when I get home tonight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Since I am important (lol) and always busy (double lol) I set up an automatic thing through patreon. It's easy, comes out every month and is from a pool of money that isn't used for anything important besides official JDM parts. If/when Lowtax sets up an SA-only monthly thing I'll switch.

I truly can not overstate just how beneficial me having a Something Awful account has been, directly responsible for my livelyhood as it stands now and has afforded me all sorts of luxuries. I'd be sad if the forums ceased.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KakerMix posted:

I must admit to still being pleasantly surprised that this placed hasn't been monetised in any way.

and also that it hasn't shut down yet for those reasons.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LloydDobler posted:

Also if we're doing doggo chat, here's my daughter with her sweet puppy Daisy.

bolind posted:

No no no, your daughter is, like, four.
Seriously. Lookit that happy dog though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

I don't know about this. Forums participation as a whole is down. Most of the traditionally busy sites have suffered as a result of groups moving to facebook. It's easy to produce 'content'. Ad blockers hurt many sources of revenue for these forums as well as others. Forums used to be a place that you went to for very specific things. Now? There's a facebook group for it.

The other aspect is that a couple or three years ago (hell, maybe longer) this place got so toxic and so much of an echo chamber that Lowtax had to step in and remove moderators and put new ones in place that didn't automatically ban people for contrary to popular opinion posts. There was a good 6 months that if you weren't lock step with the hive mind, you caught a ban. You still can't make an off color joke in most subs without someone getting their panties in a twist and a moderator at least prob'ing you for a bit; AI being an exception. The whole somethingawful vs somethingserious (or somethingsensitive, I can't remember) hurt as well. Thing is, all forums end up leaning one way or the other. Whoever shouts the loudest usually runs off the opposition (and moderates because gotdang, they just want them to shut up.) The exception is probably reddit simply because there's something there for everyone and somehow they don't often intermix. Each retreats to their own echo chamber.

The thing about an echo chamber is it's hard to acknowledge you're on the side of one unless you have a decent amount of self awareness.

Surely, shortly, someone will come along and say "YOU'RE JUST MAD BRO CUZ YOU CAN'T SAY RACIST THING". That's not it at all. That said, I'll admit I probably have some what could be racist views colored (no pun intended) by experience, but I don't know if it's any different than my feelings of obese cottage cheese looking motherfuckers disgusting me to my core or worst, Notre Dame football fans. But we all have our biases.

And to be sure, people have just moved on. There's not been that 'thing' to bring people here.

That said, I can't imagine the hosting for this place is that expensive.

• Locked thread