Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

FMguru posted:

johnny fireball with an actual good point

this may be more true for microsoft but perhaps google as well, but i think there’s a pattern.

1. Our brand sucks. Spin up a new brand and make it cool so we can be cool again. Eg. Xbox.

2. Our other brand is succeeding, let’s merge it into our parent brand to create a clear ecosystem and umbrella effect.

3. Go directly to 1.

Usually phase 2 logically comes with corporate fuckery as they try leverage their brand for other business objectives now that it’s under a shared roof.

Perhaps it’s that Google did this to some extent and Pixel is the new make-us-cool-again spinoff. Or maybe I’m talking bullshit out of my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

There’s a lot more people in our funnel that we can frustrate and seduce to become subscribers. Once we do that, trust me, all that noise will be gone, and articles people write about that noise will be gone.

google's cunning plan to annoy the piss out of people to make them buy things

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

why would you even tell anyone about this scheme!?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He obviously is so retarded he thinks that not only is it a good idea but is proud of it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so basically kids are going to be listening to many more ads

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

More ads means more ad revenue so either way goog wins

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gmail keeps asking me if I want to open links in chrome, despite having deselected “ask me which app to use each time.”. gently caress you google

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Silver Alicorn posted:

gmail keeps asking me if I want to open links in chrome, despite having deselected “ask me which app to use each time.”. gently caress you google

this was driving me absolutely batshit craaaaazy lately - it's not just you - the toggle to don't ask me next time flat out does not work

however there is a setting for it that does work

hamburger menu > way on the bottom "Settings" > microscopic font size "Google app settings" > untoggle the options in there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Silver Alicorn posted:

fyoogle

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

i haven't logged into actual gmail in forever.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Sniep posted:

this was driving me absolutely batshit craaaaazy lately - it's not just you - the toggle to don't ask me next time flat out does not work

hamburger menu > way on the bottom "Settings" > microscopic font size "Google app settings" > untoggle the options in there

I swear I changed that setting a couple weeks ago. maybe it reverts with each update

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can someone create an app that changes "no thanks" buttons to "no gently caress you you piece of poo poo gently caress off"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
long form: google is being sued for fostering exactly the kind of cesspit of a work environment you'd expect from the place that kept james damore employed for five years

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the stage is being set for damore's return as a consultant on how best to cultivate their best (read: wasp) workers while keeping the others quiet and complacent, since they're troublemakers who file lawsuits at the drop of a hat (read: after years of institutional discrimination)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

A mailing list Damore created for discussion of his memo, “pc-harmful-discuss,” remains active and unmoderated. Recently, the list was used to solicit funds for Damore’s lawsuit, a source said.

and I thought our dept's yammer group for superhero movies was bad

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/26/17157444/acer-chromebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced

chomeos tablet

chablet

tome

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sniep posted:

thanks for this and gently caress google

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stymie posted:

the stage is being set for damore's return as a consultant on how best to cultivate their best (read: wasp) workers while keeping the others quiet and complacent, since they're troublemakers who file lawsuits at the drop of a hat (read: after years of institutional discrimination)

he has no skillset & the only reason to hire him would be to stir poo poo. I really doubt google wants to do that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
swift death to those who quote stymie

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don’t quote stymie idiots

efb

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

he has no skillset & the only reason to hire him would be to stir poo poo. I really doubt google wants to do that

yeah if they even wanted to hire him there'd already be a clone onsite to use

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah theres zero chance google doesnt already have a million little damores floating around, they dont need the genuine article

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the idea that google needs outside help help overrepresenting the interests of white male useful idiots is laughable

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I dearly hope Google doesn't settle, because every one of those firing cases are gonna be beautiful

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The Management posted:

don’t quote stymie idiots

efb

bears repeating, loudly and often

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

bears repeating, loudly and often

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

bear’s tits, loudly and often

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
was it fishmech who predicted alsup's ruling would be 100% overturned on appeal cuz that just happened. apis copyrightable yaaaay.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

was it fishmech who predicted alsup's ruling would be 100% overturned on appeal cuz that just happened. apis copyrightable yaaaay.

shitballs. google clearly stole jaba but this doesn’t help anyone.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
you wouldn't download an api

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

good loving job, google

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol it is much worse than that. the ruling is written in a way that basically means fair use does not exist when a for profit entity is remotely involved.

loving CAFC is in love with the idea that all things should be covered by intellectual property laws in some form.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Hey here's a hot take, get ready: are you aware that they also fired him?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

homercles posted:

lol do u think he'd have been fired if he dialed back his horrific behavior just a little and didnt release his lunatic manifesto? nope.he'd be there right now

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

homercles posted:

he'll be back soon enough, just be patient

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

lol do u think he'd have been fired if he dialed back his horrific behavior just a little and didnt release his lunatic manifesto? nope.he'd be there right now

yes, terrible people get to retain their jobs if they shut up about their terrible opinions and stay under the hr radar

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Last Chance posted:

The behaviour wasn't even the issue, if it hadn't attracted media attention he'd still be there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

yes, terrible people get to retain their jobs if they shut up about their terrible opinions and stay under the hr radar

yeah, and the point is damore mostly didn't, which is why he got shoved in a disused lavatory to maintain god knows what until the memo blew up in the news

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

yeah, and the point is damore mostly didn't, which is why he got shoved in a disused lavatory to maintain god knows what until the memo blew up in the news

nah, that would just be because he wasn't performing particularly well

there are surely people at google much higher up the promotion path just as awful and loud about being so, but smart enough to not go full HERE IS MY MANIFESTO EVERYONE LOOK AT IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stymie posted:

he'll be back soon enough, just be patient

lol no

• Locked thread