Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

fadam posted:

The more I use the Ion gun the more unimpressed with it I am. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a shift toward getting rid of exhausting anti-tank stuff in the future.

I'm sure the Ewok expansion will have all the anti AT-ST equipment you'll ever need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Welp is there anything weird about this plastic that disagrees with Simple Green?

After a lovely batch of Army Painter primer made this speed paint job a wreck a ton of stormtroopers I want to start from scratch.

I'm pretty pleased with my Vader at least.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Alternative angle of Han Solno found on BoW, taken at Adepticon.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Ugleb posted:

Looks better from this angle, maybe? I'm sure it will help to see multiple versions of it painted to see if it is the model or how it was painted that seems to have created some negativity.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Ugleb posted:

Oof, that schnoz. What a dog.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
That's not a great sculpt. Maybe it's the 'thin ure paints!' level paint job, or maybe it's the sculpt.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Did Han ever wear a coat like that in the OT? All I can see is Malcolm Reynolds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

OptimusWang posted:

Did Han ever wear a coat like that in the OT? All I can see is Malcolm Reynolds.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Still can't figure out why the paintjobs on the characters have been so poo poo in their promo photos

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think that's what was throwing me off on the coat. The house painter didn't even try to do a camo pattern to match the promo and movie art.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

shoplifter posted:

Still can't figure out why the paintjobs on the characters have been so poo poo in their promo photos

Seriously, I know 3 people personally I could commission to do something at least twice as good, would probably paint the whole line so far for a grand.

Maybe they're trying a new tack of not making the painted specimens look too good so people feel better about their efforts? :v:

That Han is just a miserable likeness in the sculpt though. Mythbusters proved you CAN polish a turd, but it takes a great deal of effort.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I can't ever imagine GW letting something out the door looking like that

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that's what was throwing me off on the coat. The house painter didn't even try to do a camo pattern to match the promo and movie art.

That and nobody thinks about his neckbeard trench coat, just the short black one or the shirt + vest.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I have already resigned myself to the fact that I will buy some of these models whether or not I end up playing the game (must have doofy rebel space helmet dudes). Fantasy Flight can do one thing that will get me to buy all the way in, and probably buy extra kits... That thing is Ewoks. I will buy the gently caress out of some ewoks and even put in the time to covert them to be all the other positions in the army. Gonna get me some Ewoks driving AT-RTs, gonna make me a Ewok Skywalker. It will be great... if it happens.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

After playing a few 800pt games I kind of appreciate how small the game is compared to WMH or 40k. The only bummer is that if they release more cool vehicles (are there any tanks in Star Wars?) you probably won't be able to run a lot of them at the same time.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I imagine the recommended game size will be nudged upwards over time, like they did with Armada.

I look forward to Ewok Skywalker.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ugleb posted:

Man that pose is super awkward. If I got one I would probably cut it at the wait and try to rotate it a bit or something.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

fadam posted:

are there any tanks in Star Wars?

Mostly seen in the prequel era. They're prevalent.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
The space crystal hauler tank from rogue one is absolutely gonna be in by like, wave 4 at most.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Ugleb posted:

Honestly, that looks like a kitbash using the rebel squad leader. The first Luke we saw was horrid, but the release version is much much better. It doesn't come out till Q3 so I hope we are not seeing the final product.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Played my first proper game tonight, 800 points Empire vs Rebels. The bidding/veto system for battlefield conditions and mission objective was cool. I took max speeder bikes which was great for the "get into the other guy's end zone across the full length of the table" scrum we ended up with. It took Vader some time to get to midfield but once he did a timely use of Implacible followed by Master of Evil made his presence felt. Beat a walker to death, choked out the last surviving sergeant from a trooper squad, and killed Luke with a thrown saber. :black101:

I like their take on something akin to bolt actions order dice bag but with a little less variance.

Ended up being a tie as he was able to get one squad of infantry and his airspeeder over, to my 2 squads of bikes.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
800 points just seems like too few to really make the orders system shine.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Welp is there anything weird about this plastic that disagrees with Simple Green?

After a lovely batch of Army Painter primer made this speed paint job a wreck a ton of stormtroopers I want to start from scratch.

I'm pretty pleased with my Vader at least.

This never got answered but the guy at my FLGS said simple green would not melt the plastic, so you should be fine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cool. I bent and ordered a ridiculously expensive thing of GW primer to make sure the job gets done right this time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ok Rebel boys, what sort of lists are you guys running now? Here's what I'm going to take to my league tomorrow night:

Luke
-Reflexes
-Push

6x Troopers with extra guy and Z6.
2x AT-RT with Laser Cannon.

I haven't had a chance to play with the laser cannon yet, but I'm hoping it's good against the AT-ST.

I think that load out on Luke is basically going to be what I always take. Reflexes is obviously amazing, and I've always been very impressed with Push in every game I've taken it.

I haven't had a chance to play with six full squads yet, but I think it is going to be quite strong. Just having more cheap bodies to hold objectives and tie up enemy units in combat seems good.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Ok Rebel boys, what sort of lists are you guys running now? Here's what I'm going to take to my league tomorrow night:

Luke
-Reflexes
-Push

6x Troopers with extra guy and Z6.
2x AT-RT with Laser Cannon.

Granted, I haven't had much experience playing at a full 800 points, but the Z6 seems not great to me. Without an offensive surge, most of those dice are just whiffing--you've got an expected 1-2 hits on all 6. It's not terrible, and if you really want a 6-man squad, that's the way to go. I just wonder about shifting the points around to try affording another AT-RT (or a 7th rebel squad for the comedy option)?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'd think about swapping some Z-6s for Ion guns. All the Imperial heavy weapons have Impact, and they'll be looking for your AT-RTs. If those die off quick, you're going to have trouble dealing with an AT-ST.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wedge in an airspeeder is worth tryna work in IMO.

I have found in practice at least in the first game the compulsory speeder move is a benefit far more often than a drawback.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
The ion guns being exhausted after use is really annoying since you have to use the recover action in place of something else to ready it, but they still seem more useful than the Z-6 which just produces a lot of whiffs most of the time. The AT-ST seems annoying to deal with in general since it takes a lot of effort to bring down.

Anybody mess with a lot of grenades yet? Both types might be more useful than I originally thought.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

imperialparadox posted:

Anybody mess with a lot of grenades yet? Both types might be more useful than I originally thought.

Range 1 really seems like it would limit their utility, but this is based on one game that was deployed as the Long March.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
I think the ion gun getting exhausted keeps it from being op against vehicles. If you've got 6 trooper squads I don't see how you do the have at least a couple. With the right positioning even 1 ion token is a whole wasted atst turn

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I haven't played much yet either, but I was thinking the concussion grenades would be useful against cover, especially against Imperial speeders with their inherent cover 1. (In my last match the Imperial player had two squads of speeders in my back line harassing my infantry, they were annoying to deal with).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does someone have the odds of each dice face for all 5 dice? I think I know what they are but I want to make a cheat sheet thing to tape onto my box before heading to league night tonight and I don't have my stuff with me.

imperialparadox posted:

I haven't played much yet either, but I was thinking the concussion grenades would be useful against cover, especially against Imperial speeders with their inherent cover 1. (In my last match the Imperial player had two squads of speeders in my back line harassing my infantry, they were annoying to deal with).

It just seems like getting within range 1 to kill a unit behind cover is a good way to lose that unit on their response. Considering how strapped we are for points options, spending points on the chaingun to get volume of fire seems like a better investment imo.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The odds for all the dice are pretty straight forward.

Offensive dice all are 1/8 chance for crit, and 1/8 chance for a surge. Assuming you just want to know damage, and not anything more complicated, here you go.

White Offense (no surge to hit): 2/8 = 1/4
White Offense (surge to hit): 3/8
Black Offense (no surge to hit): 4/8 = 1/2
Black Offense (surge to hit): 5/8
Red Offense (no surge to hit): 6/8 = 3/4
Red Offense (surge to hit): 7/8

Notice the progression there. Defense dice are the same thing with 6 sides.

White Defense (no surge to dodge): 1/6
White Defense (surge to dodge): 2/6 = 1/3
Black Defense (no surge to dodge): 3/6 = 1/2
Black Defense (surge to dodge): 4/6 = 2/3

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Man, it is insane how much better Luke is than Vader. Like, even if they cost the same I would probably lean Luke just for how good his gun is. I play Luke like a Warmachine caster and just keep him hanging back getting safe value from his gun until I can commit him late game to clear an objective or something.

I've also adjusted my anti AT-ST strategy to just ignoring it.

Until they add more stuff I think the list I'm going to work with is:

Luke /w Reflexes and Push
6x Rebel Infantry + Trooper + Scopes
3x Rotary AT-RTs, two of them with long range comms.

You get a 3 point bid, tons of resilient scoring bodies, and some decently consistent shooting.

fadam fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 30, 2018

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Finally got my first game in yesterday and so far am very pleased. We did the three victory point locations along the center line; I won 6-3 with Luke, 6 Rebel Squads and 2 AT-RTs against Darth, 3 Squads, 2 Bike Squads and an AT-ST. It took us several hours as we kept referring back to the rule book, but I also struggled to quickly make decisions about activations and actions. Ultimately these things made the game more interesting than 40k, FoW, WM/H games I've played in the past so still satisfying, but I guess I need to work on that.
other thoughts:
Troops are good. I definitely feel like having so many helped. Wasn't sure I liked the movement rules for them at first, but now that I've tried it, it's great.
The limited arc on vehicles, particularly the AT-ST, made them feel less strong on the table than on paper. I did end up getting Luke in it's back and cutting it down but ignoring it feels like real option, too.
Agreed on Luke being great, I thought he seemed weaker on paper but was superb in practice. I also think Luke doesn't really 'need' any upgrades where Sabre Throw and probably Battle Reflexes are both mandatory for Darth. Honestly Sabre Throw should just have been built right into his card.
I'm not sure how to run bikes, but charging them in like knights errant is probably not it. I had blast grenades on all 6 squads.
Definitely looking forward to more troop types, really crossing my fingers they don't go any heavier with the vehicles than they already have.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm assembling my At-ST now, the best price I found was here.

The thing is a real beast!

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was really impressed with the AT-ST kit. It's loving huge and everything was very clean and more or less snap-fit while still being really poseable. Only thing you've really got to secure is the big loose ball joint for the head. Some of the troopers have been a little more messy and needed some thorough cleaning and gap filling at arm sockets, but overall these are good models. Nice and chunky and fun to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Has anyone had issues with mould release?

And I have no idea how I got an AT-ST for £28.50 including shipping. They must have entered the wrong price.