Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's medicated food and it looks like my male cat is the one that makes the big pee balls. I was concerned at first that he was in the litter box for awhile but he's just peeing for a very long time. Them eating less food is fine by me since female cat could use to lose weight and that food is heckin expensive. I figured things were fine, but changes in cat behavior makes me worried especially considering I've had to send my cat to the vet twice over a blocked urinary tract gets me overreacting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Good on ya. Thanks for stopping by.

It's pretty rare that we get to "cat.exe is working as intended". It's a relief.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You all should vote for Gypsy and Harley in the Very Best Cat thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374&pagenumber=6&perpage=40

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The one on the left is cute though a bit on the long haired side for my tastes. The one on the right is just ugly I'm afraid, only an owner (or mother) could love that face.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Ratzap posted:

The one on the right is just ugly I'm afraid, only an owner (or mother) could love that face.

I hope this is sarcasm cause it's as wrong as possible.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I look forward to watching this show on Netflix.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ILL Machina posted:

Actually lol'd at the notion a cat can be ugly

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all cats are beautiful

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Our kitty's surgery was successful and he's recovering well. He's minus an ear, but he still a beautiful cat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why’d you have to barf on the bed, man?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ILL Machina posted:

nah, that cat is ugly.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe
Not a huge fan of the smooshed faces, but nowhere near ugly...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

paperwind posted:

Our kitty's surgery was successful and he's recovering well. He's minus an ear, but he still a beautiful cat.

Cats take this kind of thing in stride I think. My girlfriend's family's cat had to get an eye removed due to a tumor last year and it didn't seem to bug him at all.

Gonna be a cute little one-eared boy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

paperwind posted:

I'm glad it went well and he is going to be just fine once the fur grows back!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I hope to never be in another cone situation for my cats again, I felt so bad through the whole thing. It's better than having to take them back to re-suture the wounds but so much food/poop gets stuck to those things :smith:

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

CloFan posted:

You all should vote for Gypsy and Harley in the Very Best Cat thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851374&pagenumber=6&perpage=40

The cat on the right hates you all, especially the people calling her ugly.

The people that like her? She hates you too, just not as much.

Why?

Because she is a cat.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hello Pet Goons, I recently found a cat on my porch. It was curled up under my daughters little picnic table and was whimpering. He seemed scared at first but once I got him some food he warmed up to us. He seems very shaky and scared and I’m starting to think he was abandoned because he tries to come in the house and loves to rub up against us. I made him a makeshift bed outdoors with a sideways tub and am going to cut a whole and add a roof to it as soon as I can.

I guess I’m looking for advice about keeping him outdoors, I can’t let him in the house because a very close friend of mine is deathly allergic and won’t be able to come over anymore. I would prefer not to call animal control because I know they do horrible things to them. My sister and my mom mentioned taking him but only as an outdoor cat also. I read the OP about how unsafe it is outside but inside isn’t really an option and me and my wife are not pet people but I have compassion for animals and want him to be ok.

I’ve been feeding him tuna and a cup of dry cat food for meals and only giving him water. Please help this goon and his ignorance towards pets.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Rad Valtar posted:

I’ve been feeding him tuna and a cup of dry cat food for meals and only giving him water. Please help this goon and his ignorance towards pets.

Drive that poor kitty to a rescue shelter soon--it's safer for kitty and maybe there's a loving home just waiting for them.

Where do you live? Maybe a PI goon can point you to a good rescue.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Pixelante posted:

Drive that poor kitty to a rescue shelter soon--it's safer for kitty and maybe there's a loving home just waiting for them.

Where do you live? Maybe a PI goon can point you to a good rescue.

I live right in the middle of Michigan and would love a recommendation because I’ve heard too many horrible stories to just drop it off somewhere. He really is a sweet cat that just wants attention. We have been going out and playing with him everyday and he even jumped in our car when we tried to leave so I think he’s just lonely.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

I live right in the middle of Michigan and would love a recommendation because I’ve heard too many horrible stories to just drop it off somewhere. He really is a sweet cat that just wants attention. We have been going out and playing with him everyday and he even jumped in our car when we tried to leave so I think he’s just lonely.

The Humane Society in Midland County is a no-kill shelter. https://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/Michigan/Humane-Society-of-Midland-County~9423/

There's also SOS Animal Rescue: http://sosanimalrescue.org/contact/

I grew up in Midland, so I know about those two, anyway.

Do your due diligence to make sure it's not a neighbor's cat coming over to mooch food and attention, though. They're known to do that and can put on very convincing acts. Maybe post some "Cat Found" posters in the area to see if anyone bites.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Deteriorata posted:

The Humane Society in Midland County is a no-kill shelter. https://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/Michigan/Humane-Society-of-Midland-County~9423/

There's also SOS Animal Rescue: http://sosanimalrescue.org/contact/

I grew up in Midland, so I know about those two, anyway.

Do your due diligence to make sure it's not a neighbor's cat coming over to mooch food and attention, though. They're known to do that and can put on very convincing acts. Maybe post some "Cat Found" posters in the area to see if anyone bites.

I’ll ask around the neighborhood but he has barely left our porch in two days and sits at the door meowing and scratching. Thank you for the links.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Also probably don't give him canned tuna. Stick to the dry if you have to, but that's people food.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Canned springwater tuna's fine as an occasional treat. Not a great idea as their entire diet.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah it's real salty and doesn't have cat nutrition stuff

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

IIRC there's a specific issue with tuna in particular leaching some essential vitamin if it forms too much of their diet.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Is it actually true that after a while allergic people get a tolerance for their one cat, but not all cats in general? Has anyone experienced this first hand?

I am mildly allergic and am considering getting a cat. I have been researching allergies and I keep seeing this line that people eventually get tolerant, but there are no citations and these are content factory websites where all this stuff is copy and pasted and I don't really trust the claim.

When I pet cats my hands eventually get red and from that point it's a bad idea if I touch my eyes and other parts of my skin. The allergy is not much worse than that.

My neighbours have outdoor cats and I've loved having them being around my patio, but they're leaving in a few months. This has made me consider getting a cat, but I am a bit allergic. I don't want to spend the next 10 years waking up with a stuffed up nose however. If I can have a reasonable expectation that I'd eventually become tolerant to the cat then I think I'll do it, but if not then I think it would be best if I remain catless.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Thanks for the advice about the Tuna ,I'll stick to dry for right now. I'm probably going to drive him to one of the local places Det posted because I am not equipped at this time to take care of him. It's hard because me and my daughter are becoming attached. Should I borrow a cage to put him in? He actually got right into my car yesterday when I tried to leave so I'm starting to think this cat was someone's cat that didn't want him anymore.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Is it actually true that after a while allergic people get a tolerance for their one cat, but not all cats in general? Has anyone experienced this first hand?

I am mildly allergic and am considering getting a cat. I have been researching allergies and I keep seeing this line that people eventually get tolerant, but there are no citations and these are content factory websites where all this stuff is copy and pasted and I don't really trust the claim.

When I pet cats my hands eventually get red and from that point it's a bad idea if I touch my eyes and other parts of my skin. The allergy is not much worse than that.

My neighbours have outdoor cats and I've loved having them being around my patio, but they're leaving in a few months. This has made me consider getting a cat, but I am a bit allergic. I don't want to spend the next 10 years waking up with a stuffed up nose however. If I can have a reasonable expectation that I'd eventually become tolerant to the cat then I think I'll do it, but if not then I think it would be best if I remain catless.

I’ve also heard that anecdotally but I’m not sure how true it is. If you have some spare dollars you could also try a non-allergenic cat breed like siberians or russian blues. Doesn’t work for everyone but you could visit the breeder and touch their cats to test.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

Yes and No. Eventually after being exposed a lot your body figures out that your cat’s dander not a real danger and your immune response lessens but your allergy to cats in general will lessen some. I have had a lot of cats over the years and there are still a few cats that set me off but it’s rare nowadays.

If you use allergy medications and bathe your cat once in a while or use Allerpet on them, you can reduce your response A LOT. Meds will help you become acclimated faster too, according to my allergy Dr.

Most people are more allergic to some cats than others so it could help to touch a few different cats at the shelter and see which one affects you less.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

I have a mild cat allergy and have lived with cats most of my life. The key for me seems to be how clean you keep your place. I hadn't had a cat around in several years, so when I brought her home from the shelter the first few weeks were pretty sneezy and eye itchy, but as long as I keep her spots relatively vacuumed and don't let her sleep on my pillows I'm okay. Counter this with when I visit my friends who do not clean the cat hair very often and my eyes swell up just walking in their house.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

Thanks for the advice about the Tuna ,I'll stick to dry for right now. I'm probably going to drive him to one of the local places Det posted because I am not equipped at this time to take care of him. It's hard because me and my daughter are becoming attached. Should I borrow a cage to put him in? He actually got right into my car yesterday when I tried to leave so I'm starting to think this cat was someone's cat that didn't want him anymore.

If you're going to be driving the cat somewhere, a carrier is a good idea. Keeps the cat from getting scared and clawing you or hiding under the brake pedal.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Rad Valtar posted:

Hello Pet Goons, I recently found a cat on my porch. It was curled up under my daughters little picnic table and was whimpering. He seemed scared at first but once I got him some food he warmed up to us. He seems very shaky and scared and I’m starting to think he was abandoned because he tries to come in the house and loves to rub up against us. I made him a makeshift bed outdoors with a sideways tub and am going to cut a whole and add a roof to it as soon as I can.

I guess I’m looking for advice about keeping him outdoors, I can’t let him in the house because a very close friend of mine is deathly allergic and won’t be able to come over anymore. I would prefer not to call animal control because I know they do horrible things to them. My sister and my mom mentioned taking him but only as an outdoor cat also. I read the OP about how unsafe it is outside but inside isn’t really an option and me and my wife are not pet people but I have compassion for animals and want him to be ok.

Get a new friend.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Zip tying two laundry baskets together is an okay one time use carrier if you've got those lying around. I wouldn't try to drive with a strange cat loose in the car, no matter how nice kitty may seem.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Put some towels or something else absorbent in whatever carrier you use. Some cats have a tendency to vomit or urinate when they are getting moved in a car.

For the allergy person - my wife is pretty allergic to our cats (and a lot of stuff in general) but can keep most symptoms at bay with a daily Zyrtec and a steroid nasal spray. We’ve had our cats for 5 years and I don’t think her allergies have improved at all, but if she goes away for a week and comes back she will definitely notice the allergies more. It also helps to take the allergy medication regularly (i.e. everyday at the same time even if you don’t have symptoms). It definitely gets worse if you don’t clean often. Get a good vacuum and use it at least once a week. Wash bed sheets regularly and anything else the cats tend to sleep on. It may be worth investing in a HEPA air filter for your bedroom and a whole house allergen filter for a furnace (with filters changed on both regularly).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
My wife's friend just had a cat who passed away so they are thinking about taking him in and if that doesn't work a neighbor who loves animals said they would take him. Both are great people so I'm happy that he is going to get a good home. I appreciate your guys help.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Femtosecond posted:

My allergies definitely got better after about two months of living with my cat. I take loratadine just about every day and am usually totally fine. I have good days and bad days now, whereas when I first adopted my first cat it was really bad days all the time. I'm more allergic to my boy cat than my girl cat - I've read this isn't uncommon, so maybe consider getting a female. With her, I can interact with her and be totally fine. With him, I still get sniffly and itchy eyes on bad days. It doesn't help that he's a drooly boy and I'm super allergic to his spit so if he, say, falls asleep on my arm, i'll get a little itchy spot on my arm for like an hour afterward where he rested his wet dang nose.

I'd consider investing in a really good air purifier. Like a really good one that actually moves air through a HEPA filter, not one of the stand up magic ion whatever junk. It can cost a chunk of money but a good one will really clear the air out in a room in a hurry. Vacuum and dust often, run that filter, and keep some good allergy meds around. It seems like a lot of extra effort but, keeping a pet is extra effort in general, and it's not really a big deal. I'd do it again.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Ratzap posted:

The one on the right is just ugly I'm afraid, only an owner (or mother) could love that face.

Gypsy doesn't care too much for your face, either...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Can we get one with her tongue out to put next to Einstein?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

slave to my cravings posted:

Put some towels or something else absorbent in whatever carrier you use. Some cats have a tendency to vomit or urinate when they are getting moved in a car.

Yeah, my mom's old man Sugi gets super carsick, we usually avoid giving him food for a little bit before a vet visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

paperwind posted:

What happened to Catte?