Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I would like to take you on a strange little trip that me and fellow goon Deakul have been engaging in, for the past 5 and a half hours in this Montana madness. I present you with:

The Ballad of Dan Stone

We met young Dan shortly after freeing some sort of car park from the clutches of Eden's Gate, and of the four fighters ready to be taken into the fight with us two lawmen, we knew he had something special about him.

And that something was a rocket-propelled grenade launcher.

At first, we thought, he was reserved and calculated. Our first mission was a car chase wherein we were in a vehicle the whole time, and Dan made conservative plinking bursts of his SMG-11 into an enemy hull, to little effect. Still, he was fun to have along for those few moments.

But then, when we went on foot, oh how things changed. Time after time, cultists in ATVs, pickups, and outright trucks would project their anger upon us, and Dan Stone was an absolute crackshot with that launcher, blasting time and time again at enemy vehicles.

Groups of enemies.

A lone wolf from 50 meters away.

No, not a lone wandering cultist. A lone prowling Canis Lupus.

Dan Stone would lob propelled grenades at just about anything we pointed him at.

Really.

Anything.

While I don't think it's a feature of this game, me and Deakul were worried that he started becoming unhinged. When he was just a rowdy youngster early on, he would repeatedly yell every few seconds about threats in an audible 'caps lock, bold, italics', often followed by a rocket that was not asked to be lobbed at the enemy. He would just open fire on random groups that spawned around us. Within the last couple of hours it was a frightening, and increasingly common occurrence, to hear "ISEEATHREAT!!!", followed by a rocket flying literally right by my head. As I was closing in on enemies--having a close-range preferred loadout--more than twice I was far enough that I didn't hear the launch, but instead the unannounced and sudden whoosh of an incoming rocket launcher that landed with a bead on my target.

While it sounds like I'm exaggerating, we were both literally yelling back at Dan whenever he started freaking out about some moving shadow in the trees and running for cover. In a crazy, high-octane warzone like this, we were begging for restraint. Whenever he raised his voice, we stopped what we were doing and actively had to babysit him. It was nonstop tension.

His rapid ordnance launching was his own undoing as we were ambushed by several trucks worth of enemies, including a couple of flamers. While he never hurt himself with his blasts, flying debris from an exploded vehicle caught him in the gut. While he would be back in 8 minutes, we gave him a viking funeral.

He was--and is--an amazing generic fighter. He was quick to revive us, take on wildlife (he loving gibbed a dog), and keep us both on our toes because about 45% of the time he yelled "LETS DO THIS!!!", a ruinous explosion would usually follow.

:911:

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

no. its more "why can't i shoot trumpists and skull gently caress their piss god?" bullshit. because they bought into the early key art. loving morons. ubisoft isnt loving machine games or some smaller studio type thing which can pull poo poo like that. anyway gently caress em.

BexGu posted:

Pretty sure Jonestown had a poo poo ton of weapons since right before the cult poisoning they killed 5 people (including a US Congressman).

not really, they maybe had like 20 guns and that was for jones "red guard". they could only get a couple ak's and some lovely shotguns.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2018

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no. its more "why can't i shoot trumpists and skull gently caress their piss god?" bullshit. because they bought into the early key art. loving morons. ubisoft isnt loving machine games or some smaller studio type thing which can pull poo poo like that. anyway gently caress em.

It's not, but don't stop now

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I had one soldier lady just blast away at cultists that hadn’t spotted us (we were driving up behind them I think) and after she killed them she’d scream at the top of her voice “ONE LESS PSYCHOPATH IN THE VALLEY!!!”

And I’d be driving along thinking “Ok actually it’s fewer, and..... are you sure?”

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

God the starting pistol is ridiculous. With the silencer on it I feel like John Wick just ghosting through headshotting dudes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Morter posted:

I would like to take you on a strange little trip that me and fellow goon Deakul have been engaging in, for the past 5 and a half hours in this Montana madness. I present you with:

The Ballad of Dan Stone

We met young Dan shortly after freeing some sort of car park from the clutches of Eden's Gate, and of the four fighters ready to be taken into the fight with us two lawmen, we knew he had something special about him.

And that something was a rocket-propelled grenade launcher.

At first, we thought, he was reserved and calculated. Our first mission was a car chase wherein we were in a vehicle the whole time, and Dan made conservative plinking bursts of his SMG-11 into an enemy hull, to little effect. Still, he was fun to have along for those few moments.

But then, when we went on foot, oh how things changed. Time after time, cultists in ATVs, pickups, and outright trucks would project their anger upon us, and Dan Stone was an absolute crackshot with that launcher, blasting time and time again at enemy vehicles.

Groups of enemies.

A lone wolf from 50 meters away.

No, not a lone wandering cultist. A lone prowling Canis Lupus.

Dan Stone would lob propelled grenades at just about anything we pointed him at.

Really.

Anything.

While I don't think it's a feature of this game, me and Deakul were worried that he started becoming unhinged. When he was just a rowdy youngster early on, he would repeatedly yell every few seconds about threats in an audible 'caps lock, bold, italics', often followed by a rocket that was not asked to be lobbed at the enemy. He would just open fire on random groups that spawned around us. Within the last couple of hours it was a frightening, and increasingly common occurrence, to hear "ISEEATHREAT!!!", followed by a rocket flying literally right by my head. As I was closing in on enemies--having a close-range preferred loadout--more than twice I was far enough that I didn't hear the launch, but instead the unannounced and sudden whoosh of an incoming rocket launcher that landed with a bead on my target.

His rapid ordnance launching was his own undoing as we were ambushed by several trucks worth of enemies, including a couple of flamers. While he never hurt himself with his blasts, flying debris from an exploded vehicle caught him in the gut. While he would be back in 8 minutes, we gave him a viking funeral.

He was--and is--an amazing generic fighter. He was quick to revive us, take on wildlife (he loving gibbed a dog), and keep us both on our toes because about 45% of the time he yelled "LETS DO THIS!!!", a ruinous explosion would usually follow.

:911:

:patriot:
:ohdear: If he's yelling at anything, for the love of god reel him in with the callback key asap.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 28, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harton posted:

God the starting pistol is ridiculous. With the silencer on it I feel like John Wick just ghosting through headshotting dudes.

i am surprised about the lack of bullet sponge enemies so far. in other far cry games, some dudes took like a clip to kill.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am surprised about the lack of bullet sponge enemies so far. in other far cry games, some dudes took like a clip to kill.

There really aren't many as far as I have seen. You occasionally will see "elites" that take a surprising number of shots to the bare chest to die, but they can be taken down or partner sniped like anyone else.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So you didn't read the review I take it.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Ugh, i cant seem to find a helicopter shop any freaking where, im in Johns region right now. By chance anyone seen one around?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, one burst of the starting AR kills basically any non-flamethrower enemy in the early game. You feel pretty fragile yourself, and the sheer volume of enemies is much improved, even if it is kind of easy on the whole.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Okay I'm going to try to answer this with the minimum amount of projecting I can muster:

I believe the author's argument is that the game disappoints because, like many AAA titles, it promised something daring (or at least interestingly controversial) but fell back on series tropes and formulas while leaving the narrative vague enough that the publisher doesn't attract undue financial risk. I've got about 6 hours in, and I think these points are valid. However, as someone who only played Far Cry 4 and really liked it, I don't necessarily care. My expectations of a major title are so low that I couldn't have gotten my hopes up the way the author did, and I'm not worn out on the Far Cry formula as some others might be. It's really fun, and challenging enough for my casual playing without being too frustrating.

My complaints so far are that I've had two side quest events fail to trigger which required a reload, flying controls are weird, and like most people said the action seems to spring out of nowhere even when you don't want it to. Don't care, still fun.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

My complaints so far are that I've had two side quest events fail to trigger which required a reload, flying controls are weird, and like most people said the action seems to spring out of nowhere even when you don't want it to. Don't care, still fun.

Yea I just lost access to a sidequest, I died and now it's gone from my journal entirely.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

all the reviews I can find pretty much only talk about the story/themes/social commentary stuff with very little on the actual gameplay, beyond that the ubi structure is different

can someone tell me how the shooting is? i loved 3, but got burnt out on 4 because more than anything somehow the combat/shooting felt floaty and weird and not very punchy. like all the guns felt a little underpowered somehow, dudes took too many shots to go down or the feedback was weird/too much recoil or what, i honestly can't put my finger on it. basically it kind of felt bad to shoot guys, which tempered my enjoyment

does it feel good or at least any different to shoot the guys in 5? or exactly the same. i'm down for however the story stuff goes but i'm honestly mostly interested in how the moment to moment combat feels in a game like this

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mandrel posted:

all the reviews I can find pretty much only talk about the story/themes/social commentary stuff with very little on the actual gameplay, beyond that the ubi structure is different

can someone tell me how the shooting is? i loved 3, but got burnt out on 4 because more than anything somehow the combat/shooting felt floaty and weird and not very punchy. like all the guns felt a little underpowered somehow, dudes took too many shots to go down or the feedback was weird/too much recoil or what, i honestly can't put my finger on it. basically it kind of felt bad to shoot guys, which tempered my enjoyment

does it feel good or at least any different to shoot the guys in 5? or exactly the same. i'm down for however the story stuff goes but i'm honestly mostly interested in how the moment to moment combat feels in a game like this

The guns are good and loud, and most dudes drop in 2-3 shots instead of half a clip or more. Feels way better.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Getting one of the random resistance fighters that uses an RPG owns a whole lot. A laugh a minute in every fight.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Holy poo poo are shotguns good in this game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mandrel posted:

Nice and punchy. And since there is no xp meter for kills you can actually use something other than the bow.

It helps that the game starts you off with some of the slower firing weapons off the bat, lets you notice the hits. Although SMGs are real good in this since the TTK is so low.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I play Far Cry games to have a silly storyline with a comic book villain where the plot exists solely as a vehicle for me to commit mayhem and do sneaky kills and blow poo poo up. I don't look for sociopolitical commentary in Far Cry any more than I look to Mario Odyssey to make commentary on kidnapping women for the white slave trade and sex work.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Played the game for a good few hours in one sitting and I'm loving it so far, but I'm not sure anything will ever top my first experience after getting off tutorial island. Walked onto the road, got on a quad bike, a bison immediately sprinted out from the woods and bowled over the car in front of me, then something exploded close by for no real reason. FAR CRY.

Also I just finished the mission where you get captured by John in the southwest and it triggered while I was strafing a convoy in a plane. They did a drat good job of pulling me from the wreckage I guess?

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 28, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Not the Messiah posted:

Also I just finished the mission where you get captured by John in the southwest and it triggered while I was strafing a convoy in a plane. They did a drat good job of pulling me from the wreckage I guess?

Minor thing but can we spoiler even minor story stuff like this?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mandrel posted:

I haven't played 3 or 4 in over a year so I might be misremembering but I feel like the weapons have more punch. Besides the flamethrower guys and the VIPs none of the enemies take more than 4-5 shits to the chest with the starting rifle. Even the Uzi only takes a quick burst to take guys down.

The first machine gun you can get almost seems overpowered to me. It takes only two rounds to put people down and with a reflex sight and controlled bursts the recoil is a non issue.

All the weapons I've used so far sound and feel appropriately powerful. I've played about six hours so far and I'm still enjoying firefights with the starting set of weapons.

The health regen seems a bit fast and they removed the multiple bars so you can regen all your health now. Medkits don't seem as essential as they were in 4 but they're still nice to have. Despite all that I don't feel too strong, it still only takes a few bursts to take me down. This system goes well with my playstyle of quickly ambushing small groups and then retreating briefly to heal.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

shortspecialbus posted:

Minor thing but can we spoiler even minor story stuff like this?

Oh no no the wreckage reference isnt something that actually happens in the plot, it was just me making a dumb joke about a script triggering a cutscene wrong - rest easy

AH poo poo NOPE I'm a loving dumbass and hit italic instead of spoiler on this dumb phone app, I'm really sorry - it happened like 2 hours in if that so its not a major plot point if that's any consolation. I'm really sorry :smith:

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 28, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Not the Messiah posted:

Oh no no the wreckage reference isnt something that actually happens in the plot, it was just me making a dumb joke about a script triggering a cutscene wrong - rest easy

AH poo poo NOPE I'm a loving dumbass and hit italic instead of spoiler on this dumb phone app, I'm really sorry - it happened like 2 hours in if that so its not a major plot point if that's any consolation. I'm really sorry :smith:

Yeah no worries not a big deal. Thanks for fixing it.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Whoever on Far Cry’s team decided unavoidable capture events that railroad you into giant cutscene dream sequences were the way to go should not have been on their team.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I got the gold edition, which unlocks one of the big, honk-rear end revolvers from jump street. It shoots through multiple targets.

Then I bought the base sniper rifle and slapped a silencer on it, and found out it is really effective.

brb gonna go save Montana.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Do you think its one guy on the writing team who has a huge hard-on for drug dream sequences, or has it just been a terrible series of coincidences?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not the Messiah posted:

Yeah I had probably the same mission trigger when I was driving around in one of the humvee things with a turret on the back with my buddy murdering everything in sight, I was very confused at the time as I was approaching an unrelated mission that had popped up at the same time.

Very pretty game, feels like Far Cry, can't complain.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The companions talking to you randomly is hilariously awkward.

*total silence in helicopter*
"I prefer a heavy trigger pull"
*thank you for your input grace*

Dandywalken posted:

Do you think its one guy on the writing team who has a huge hard-on for drug dream sequences, or has it just been a terrible series of coincidences?

Didn't dream sequences feature heavily into Far Cry 3, or am I misremembering?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

a_good_username posted:

Whoever on Far Cry’s team decided unavoidable capture events that railroad you into giant cutscene dream sequences were the way to go should not have been on their team.

NOOOOOO!
This is exactly, and I do loving mean EXACTLY, what I absolutely, positively, 100% did not want in this game.
This is pretty much the difference between 'buy' and 'don't buy' here.
Stop loving up my power fantasy.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Didn't dream sequences feature heavily into Far Cry 3, or am I misremembering?

They did. Also 4.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nice having a day one patch that isn't like 10gb.

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!
I played this game for 96 minutes but had a tough time enjoying it on PC.

I started on Hard. The scripted sequences up to when you start the tutorial were really... well... hard. Fine. But I was dying without much control over my character or my equipment. I was dying while running away from gunfire when I didn't have a gun. I dropped the difficulty to normal because maybe I'm garbage.

Once I got to the tutorial island, the game on normal was really, really easy. I guess I could raise the difficulty again? I could stop scanning outposts with binos? Dunno.

I also spent a little time exploring before the tutorial spawned a hostage situation 80' behind me. I was just there a minute ago, and now there's a hostage crisis. Really broke my immersion.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it isn't for me, and I generally really enjoy shooters.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

I play Far Cry games to have a silly storyline with a comic book villain where the plot exists solely as a vehicle for me to commit mayhem and do sneaky kills and blow poo poo up. I don't look for sociopolitical commentary in Far Cry

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-18-far-cry-3s-writer-argues-critics-largely-missed-the-point-of-the-game

quote:

“It's a first-person game, and Jason is a 25-year old white guy from Los Angeles. From Hollywood. So his view of what's going on on this island is his own view, and you happen to be looking through his eyes, so you're seeing his view,” Yohalem explained. “It's set on an island in the South Pacific, so immediately the thing that comes to mind is the white colonial trope, the Avatar trope. I started with that, and it's like, 'Here's what pop culture thinks about traveling to a new place,' and the funny thing is, that's an exaggeration of most games, they just don't expose it.”

“For example, GTA is a colonisation game. You come to New York, you colonise New York. Most open world games function that way. Ezio comes to Rome and colonises Rome. To take that to its extreme, exaggerating those tropes is how you reveal them. The exaggeration of that trope is what happens in Far Cry 3.”

As it turns out people play games for a variety of reasons and trying to sneer at them merely because you don't care about commentary in the media you consume doesn't mean other people don't care and it's entirely unsurprising that people would write about it why it hits or misses the mark when the loving writers of this franchise say they're making commentary.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

picked it up at Redbox. admittedly most of my knowledge about how the US Marshals work comes from Justified but im pretty sure they wouldn’t have just sent this one guy to Death Cult Fortress

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mandrel posted:

picked it up at Redbox. admittedly most of my knowledge about how the US Marshals work comes from Justified but im pretty sure they wouldn’t have just sent this one guy to Death Cult Fortress

If that guy was Raylan they might but alas.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

TastySauce posted:

I played this game for 96 minutes but had a tough time enjoying it on PC.

I started on Hard. The scripted sequences up to when you start the tutorial were really... well... hard. Fine. But I was dying without much control over my character or my equipment. I was dying while running away from gunfire when I didn't have a gun. I dropped the difficulty to normal because maybe I'm garbage.

Once I got to the tutorial island, the game on normal was really, really easy. I guess I could raise the difficulty again? I could stop scanning outposts with binos? Dunno.

I also spent a little time exploring before the tutorial spawned a hostage situation 80' behind me. I was just there a minute ago, and now there's a hostage crisis. Really broke my immersion.

I don't think it's a bad game, but it isn't for me, and I generally really enjoy shooters.

The spawning system seems to be triggered far too often. I've noticed that most reviews, both positive and negative, bring up this point. I hope it can be toned down a little via a patch, but I also remember FC4 having a lot of those same issues. IIRC FC3 was not nearly as artificially busy.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

If that guy was Raylan they might but alas.

if it was Raylan we wouldn’t have a game though so I understand the decision

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Nerds will always complain that reviewers are reviewing games wrong because they don't like it when their preferences (and politics) aren't validated and regurgitated to them.

I actually think the writing/story are terrible without even bringing politics into it, but it doesn't matter much to me because it's a Far Cry game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sedisp posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-18-far-cry-3s-writer-argues-critics-largely-missed-the-point-of-the-game

As it turns out people play games for a variety of reasons and trying to sneer at them merely because you don't care about commentary in the media you consume doesn't mean other people don't care and it's entirely unsurprising that people would write about it why it hits or misses the mark when the loving writers of this franchise say they're making commentary.

yeah, pretty much. 3 is overly obvious about the poo poo though but it was terrible at it. its kinda clear the natives are using you as disposible drone to get rid of the pirates and and mercs. they fill your head with drugs and bullshit to get your dumb lilly white rear end to do it. the game also implies that vass was their first chosen one but the whole weird incest poo poo and drugs hosed him up so much he was easly roped in by the south African rear end in a top hat.

anyway. love 5 so far. its nice to have actual good feeling gun play in a far cry game for once(outside 2 i guess) the cult feels menacing as baddies enough. it cool as gently caress so far.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 28, 2018