Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Huh so my bonus 3 pull and 10 ticket netted me a ninja dude who sucks but I finally finally got me an Orlandu. I'm also sitting on a Titus and slowly awakening his stuff, so between the 2 who's the better option? Or should I roll with both of them once I awaken them and replace my onion knight? I'm currently using Explorer Eileen as my physical finisher so that would make my lineup something like

E.eileen, Titus, orlandu, lotus fina/Ayaka and then blossom or goth Sakura. Do either Titus or orlandu chain better than ok? OK seems to really only chain well with other onion Knights and I'm wondering if those other 2 are a little more universal

Man I've been lucking out hella good with rainbows lately

E. Aileen and Titus will be able to chain with 6* Camille (just 6*, no enhancements required) so they're more of an investment into the future idea of cutting your dependance on friend units for a perfect chaining partner.

However, Orlandeau and OK are very popular friend units so you shouldn't have much trouble finding them on your friend unit list for stuff like events. And despite Tidus+2 and Aileen+2 being arguably better for damage-dealing (better imperils and equal or better modifiers), Orlandeau+2 and OK are still not far behind on the scale.

Also, most events are weak to Holy to make up for the fact that newer trials are pretty much explicitly "gently caress holy/dark". So for event-bashing, Orlandeau and crew or holy OKs are what people use mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Most common friend units among goons are Orlandeau, Onion Man, 2B, A2, Trance Terra and Aileen, with the occasional Cloud, Tidus and Freyvia. Plenty of Lara Crofts right now, as well.

Many have switched to Aileen recently because of freebie chain partner Lara Croft. Lara + Enhanced Aileen + Explorer Aileen TDH as a finisher is some pretty serious damage, plus you get all that drop rate up goodness, bonus gil and whatnot. Perfect for farming and story events.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 27, 2018

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Thank you all for the replies! Decisions decisions. Does anyone else suffer from recency bias when they play this game? I always want to shoehorn in whatever latest relatively decent 5 star I just pulled regardless of whether or not they're actually better than guys I already have. It's weird it feels like I'm wasting a guy if I don't use them at least a little bit

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Thank you all for the replies! Decisions decisions. Does anyone else suffer from recency bias when they play this game? I always want to shoehorn in whatever latest relatively decent 5 star I just pulled regardless of whether or not they're actually better than guys I already have. It's weird it feels like I'm wasting a guy if I don't use them at least a little bit

I have what I call the Rainbow Bench Brigade, all of the rainbows I've gotten that have no real use so they just sit there in my unit list forever.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Haha yeah that sounds about pretty close to what I end up doing too. I guess expeditions end up giving them some use, but every once in a while I'll toss in a folian or dk Cecil to clear some story quests just to get some kind of use out of them now and again

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I kind of want to use characters outside of my main team, but...

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I pretty much stubbornly use my favorites regardless of whether they're viable or not until I hit a wall.

Then all those pots and cactuars I've been hoarding get poured into whatever top tier rainbow I've been ignoring for months.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
For generic content and farming stuff, you should be able to roll with whoever so long as you're hoovering up event rewards and spending your trust moogles on any 5* units you come across.

I roll with Meliadoul on a regular basis, and she's pretty low tier.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So, I’ve rolled up an account I want to keep on my computer and linked it to my “real” Facebook. Only issue I’m having is when I log out on my phone, it’s only giving me the option to log back into the dummy account. How do I login to my real Facebook on my phone now?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

So, I’ve rolled up an account I want to keep on my computer and linked it to my “real” Facebook. Only issue I’m having is when I log out on my phone, it’s only giving me the option to log back into the dummy account. How do I login to my real Facebook on my phone now?

This happened to me when I refilled for a friend.

There's a cookie or something that's preventing you from switching over. Make sure you're logged out of Facebook everywhere on your phone. Then remove all Facebook data temporarily.

Then log back in to your real Facebook. You may have to do the same thing with Brave Exvius at the same time.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So the moose trial brings up a question I've been avoiding dealing with. If a boss is immune to one type of break, i.e. defense, and you use something like an attack/defense break, what happens? Are both nullified, or does the attack debuff still get applied?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So the moose trial brings up a question I've been avoiding dealing with. If a boss is immune to one type of break, i.e. defense, and you use something like an attack/defense break, what happens? Are both nullified, or does the attack debuff still get applied?

The attack debuff gets applied.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This happened to me when I refilled for a friend.

There's a cookie or something that's preventing you from switching over. Make sure you're logged out of Facebook everywhere on your phone. Then remove all Facebook data temporarily.

Then log back in to your real Facebook. You may have to do the same thing with Brave Exvius at the same time.

Got it figured out. Thanks man. What do I do with units I don’t have any need for at all? Like ones that cap out at 4 stars? Just sell them or what?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bob NewSCART posted:

Got it figured out. Thanks man. What do I do with units I don’t have any need for at all? Like ones that cap out at 4 stars? Just sell them or what?

If you aren't ever going to want their TMR just sell em.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Bob NewSCART posted:

You collect them, level, and awaken them so that you can have a full Unit Guide, of course!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

Khisanth Magus posted:

werdnam posted:

You collect them, level, and awaken them so that you can have a full Unit Guide, of course!

No worries, and either of these two things are good.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

What about using them for enhancing my actual decent units?

Also holy loving poo poo I feel sick reading that Reddit story of the guy dumping hand over fist cash on every single banner event. 2500 for veritas of the dark. What the fuc k

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Was it ever discovered if that story was real or not?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Skyridge posted:

Was it ever discovered if that story was real or not?

Well I did a little looking and after a string of comments in that thread about three months ago, he only started posting again a week ago. He also posted this thread before he ever posted the thread about him loving his whole life up

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

If it is a gimmick the dude was dedicated as poo poo to it as he had made posts bitching about his RNG on money-pulls months and months before he made that thread

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So far about 50+ tickets (10 4*) and 4 5k 11 pulls in trying to get CG Fina, I've got Tidus #2 and Zarglebargle #1. If you add in the Tillith and Ayaka x2 banners I've probably struck out on 150 tickets and 50k+ lapis trying to get a good healer.

Oh well, I'll get one eventually, it's not like I don't have everything else covered and then some.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bob NewSCART posted:

What about using them for enhancing my actual decent units?

Oh god no. Don't feed rare summon units for exp. You get basically nothing by burning a unit for exp or gil.

Here's what to do for the various types of units:

Friend point summon:
Save and smush the ones with Killers TMRs, HP 10%, and Camo. Once you get one of those units to 100% trust, sell them for gil. Sell the others for gil, If you have 1* and 2* cactuars laying around, you can feed them to 1* and 2* units to increase the sell value. These units are 99% trash and will never be used. Don't actually use, exp, or TM these guys.

The normal rare summons:
If the TMR is bad, and the unit is bad, smush the extra copies into one. Eventually you'll get the TMR from smushing 21 of them together

If the TMR is good, or the unit is good, save the extra copies. The extras can be used to either farm the TMR faster, or to get more copies of it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

jetz0r posted:

Oh god no. Don't feed rare summon units for exp. You get basically nothing by burning a unit for exp or gil.

Friend point summon:
Save and smush the ones with Killers TMRs, HP 10%, and Camo. Once you get one of those units to 100% trust, sell them for gil. Sell the others for gil, If you have 1* and 2* cactuars laying around, you can feed them to 1* and 2* units to increase the sell value. These units are 99% trash and will never be used. Don't actually use, exp, or TM these guys.

The normal rare summons:
If the TMR is bad, and the unit is bad, smush the extra copies into one. Eventually you'll get the TMR from smushing 21 of them together

If the TMR is good, or the unit is good, save the extra copies. The extras can be used to either farm the TMR faster, or to get more copies of it.

Eventually you will have so many units with good TMRs that you will have to make some tough choices and/or expand the hell out of your character slots.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

jetz0r posted:

Friend point summon:

The normal rare summons:

Got a few questions about this. What do you mean by Camo for friend point summons? I don’t think I have any friend point summons either way, as I’ve only done my initial pulling. And you’re saying after I get the good friend point summons to 100%, sell the extras after that point or sell the original 100% unit for Gil as well?

When you mean mashing them together, you mean through the “enhance” menu or something else entirely? I was mostly just curious what I was going to do with the units I got from initial reroll/pull that are garbage/am never going to use.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mashing is via enhancing. Smash all those Bediles together to get the ultimate TMR: Thundaga Blade!

For the FP summon bit, the FP units you summon via friend points (you can get them via the daily gifts if you set yours to that, or +10/+5 by using friend/non-friend units respectively) have TMs. Most are trash but there are some keepers. There's Stone, Dragon, and Aquan Killer TMs, HP+10%, and a Camouflage TMR (makes whoever equips that less likely to be attacked). Smush those characters together to work towards getting their TMs, the rest are easily skippable trash you can sell or keep to feed completionist OCD.

Also there's always expeditions for those units that you don't have much use for. They do give a bit of unit EXP on completion but I'm not sure if they're good for leveling units you intent to only use for expeditions. It's too slow for any unit you want to use in real content. The rewards are good though: 100 lapis, a ticket, a king HP/Limit pot, and a 5% moogle every week and the occasional giantcrysts and energy pots ain't shabby but it'll take time until you can get all the rewards.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really disagree with holding on to units with crap TMRs you will never use. They are a waste of unit space in order to get something that will either be a waste of equipment or materia space that you will never use. Think if it this way: each pointless unit you hold on to costs you 20 lapis in the end, because you will run out of unit space and need to expand. Is getting a Throw or Thundaga blade or Barrage worth 20 lapis to you?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Never smoosh Zidane copies together.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

hagie posted:

Never smoosh Zidane copies together.

I smush zidanes together!(I have 3 dual wields, 1 genji glove, 1 more potential genji glove, and 1 potential awesome swordsman)

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really disagree with holding on to units with crap TMRs you will never use. They are a waste of unit space in order to get something that will either be a waste of equipment or materia space that you will never use. Think if it this way: each pointless unit you hold on to costs you 20 lapis in the end, because you will run out of unit space and need to expand. Is getting a Throw or Thundaga blade or Barrage worth 20 lapis to you?

Intellectually, I know you're right. But that hasn't stopped me yet from collecting everything I can. 600 unit slots, 200 materia slots, 180 or so equipment slots ... But part of it is just setting my own goals in this silly F2P game and deciding that the collecting part is fun.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Another Friend Point Unit worth holding on to is Paul. His TMR is Escape. It's become very handy for King Mog/Mog Minister Events: Use it to run from every fight before the Boss, as they only drop 1-3 of the items King Mog/Mog Minister trade. They're just not worth killing.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

I smush zidanes together!(I have 3 dual wields, 1 genji glove, 1 more potential genji glove, and 1 potential awesome swordsman)

You can filter to show only 1* units and 1* cactuars (Sort by level: Ascending), and then use a macro to put a tiny cactuar into every 1* unit. Then a bigger cactuar into every 2* unit.

Then sell all the FP units for decent cash.

gently caress ever doing it by hand, tho.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You want to keep and smoosh every Bedile you draw, for those sweet sweet Thundaga Blades.

They are badges of honor.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So I was curious about the TMRs that aren’t items, how do other units/characters use these?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I was curious about the TMRs that aren’t items, how do other units/characters use these?

I think you're referring to abilities? There's a section in the character screen where you can equip those. Usually 4 slots to a max ranked 6* character.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I think you're referring to abilities? There's a section in the character screen where you can equip those. Usually 4 slots to a max ranked 6* character.

I’m guessing yeah. Some of them seem to be passive and others are things like “counter” which appear to be a skill/ability. Do those take the place/mix and match with the characters abilities or is there a separate slot for TMR abilities?

I’m a big dumbass. Didn’t even see the other tab in the equip screen. Appreciate all the help with the questions btw guys. Not sure if anyone’s curious what I settled on finally but I’ll screenshot and post in a minute

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 28, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poor bedile. That story event sword really grounded his TMR.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bob NewSCART posted:

I’m guessing yeah. Some of them seem to be passive and others are things like “counter” which appear to be a skill/ability. Do those take the place/mix and match with the characters abilities or is there a separate slot for TMR abilities?

It's pretty much extra stuff you can add to a character. Should be accessible right alongside where you set up your equipment.

-Skills you equip will appear in your skill list in combat just like any other.
-Passives will of course do their thing as described.
-Some are restricted to specific characters.
-White, Green and Black magic spells are dependent on a characters magical aptitude level in each type, which you can check on their profile, you'll see little orbs of the corresponding colour and a level next to it.

Part of building a character includes what you put into those four slots. But again, you only have all four at higher ranks. So if you're playing with lower ranks you might only have 2 or 3.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Behold my (probably lovely) pulls I finally settled on.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bob NewSCART posted:

Ok you got like a day to blast through as much story as possible. VoD hurls purple rocks at fools before ruining them with a barrage of purple snowballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Bob NewSCART posted:

That is an extremely strong start, with the strongest healer, who can provide some good damage too, and one of the top damage dealers, particularly once he gets his enhancements which could be at any time. You also have a zidanes to feed moogles until you get a dual wield for VoD.

• Locked thread