Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Air NZ put me on a flight to Sydney once despite knowing my connecting flight had been cancelled, they then forgot I existed and thought I'd been transferred and boarded another flight to the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Haha they once told my partner "we're sorry but your bag didn't make it on the flight" as though it was the bag's fault or some poo poo.

tbf though they were pretty good about it, had it couriered to her within a few hours of landing anyway

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So Jacinda's heading to Mt Albert to talk about the new housing project - anyone going?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I always assumed that was going to be part of some future campaign, so of course we're not going to see any results of it until it ran. I also wouldn't underestimate the selling power of "come play the same beautiful courses that were good enough for Obama to play on" to certain markets.

How long until Trump pays some Russian hookers to piss on them?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

:lol:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/353479/over-65-000-sign-petition-to-strip-sir-bob-jones-of-knighthood

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How dare you defame my character by taking what I say seriously.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, the ongoing, costly legacy of the venal cunts that were in power before:

Specifically, how they liked to play fast and loose with the law, especially when it related to matters of privacy.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/353417/crown-to-pay-90-000-for-kim-dotcom-privacy-breach

gently caress you, Finlayson, you arrogant loving oval office.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, the ongoing, costly legacy of the venal cunts that were in power before:

Specifically, how they liked to play fast and loose with the law, especially when it related to matters of privacy.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/353417/crown-to-pay-90-000-for-kim-dotcom-privacy-breach

I know him and he's a very smart guy (and did some really good and clever stuff with Treaty settlements) but he was so flagrantly wrong on this call.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I know him and he's a very smart guy (and did some really good and clever stuff with Treaty settlements) but he was so flagrantly wrong on this call.

Perhaps, but it points to a toxic attitude that the previous government displayed (remember, that he's not the only National Party MP that had a high profile position that has fallen afoul of privacy laws - Bennett and Collins suddenly come to mind). I mean, they had a very worryingly cavalier attitude towards matters relating to the law. Pretty legal, and so on, and this is just another example of it, in a loving sickening big picture. I mean, what kind of tinpot banana republic-level poo poo is this?

Finlayson needs to resign from parliament, quite frankly. He was the Attorney-General, the top legal mind in the nation. He, of all people, should not have been breaking any laws, especially one that could potentially carry a prison term, regardless of how much he achieved in the way of Treaty settlements, like with the Tuhoe.

But then again, what do I know? I thought the GCSB stuff that kicked off all of this to begin with was a resignation-level offence, and here we are.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 27, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vagabundo posted:

Perhaps, but it points to a toxic attitude that the previous government displayed (remember, that he's not the only National Party MP that had a high profile position that has fallen afoul of privacy laws - Bennett and Collins suddenly come to mind). I mean, they had a very worryingly cavalier attitude towards matters relating to the law. Pretty legal, and so on, and this is just another example of it, in a loving sickening big picture. I mean, what kind of tinpot banana republic-level poo poo is this?

Finlayson needs to resign from parliament, quite frankly. He was the Attorney-General, the top legal mind in the nation. He, of all people, should not have been breaking any laws, especially one that could potentially carry a prison term, regardless of how much he achieved in the way of Treaty settlements, like with the Tuhoe.

But then again, what do I know? I thought the GCSB stuff that kicked off all of this to begin with was a resignation-level offence, and here we are.

Yeah i don't disagree. The last government were getting incredibly bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah i don't disagree. The last government were getting incredibly bad.

Honestly, the loving National Party MPs should be made to foot the bill for the $90K compensation owed to Dotcom. Pay it out of the party coffers and their bank accounts. In fact, every single lawsuit that can be traced to those arrogant, born-to-rule wastes of skin should be paid for by the National Party, and each MP responsible should have an asset stripped each time. Property, valuables, cash, etc.

In other news, in a me being unintentionally insensitive shocker, there's a kid at my school whom I taught last year. Lovely young man, incredibly well-behaved and just an absolute pleasure to have in your class. Likewise with his best friend, who is a very good-natured young lady. I've got stacks of time for the both of them. He's in Y10 now, but he spent a long period with the Northern Health School. He never struck me as sickly, and his attendance for much of 2017 was actually pretty good, until the last month or so. Having inherited the now unfortunately defunct LGBT support group (a colleague joked that the kids obviously think I'm either nice, or gay, and are correct on at least one count), and he attended those get togethers, along with his best friend, who was there as a support person (on another note, a kid in my form class just showed up once, and just hung out with them, because it was basically "all welcome." A guy in the 2nd XV also used to turn up as well. He wasn't gay, he just liked hanging out with the gay kids.)

So, he's gone for a while, and then suddenly starts attending again. And I see him, and I'm like "hey, what's up!" and all that, because, you know, I like the kid. What I haven't mentioned is that this time last year, he was not a dude, but in fact, a girl. And I called him by his girl name. Oh poo poo. Repeatedly. Double poo poo. A transwoman friend of mine told me that whenever someone misgendered her, or called her by her old dude name, even though she knew it was just a matter of habit, with no malice intended, it really cut to the bone.

A few minutes later, I'm trying to find a kid with the same given name on KAMAR, and find the transboy and I'm like "aw gently caress, I am such a loving piece of poo poo!" and spent the rest of the day feeling awful. I talked to my transwoman friend, and was basically like "forgive me Mother Superior, for I have sinned. Here's what I did. What should I do?"

I did call that evening, and apologised to him. He was very gracious about it, and told me that he could tell that I just wasn't aware of his transition.

At school, I have a reputation among students as being "pretty nice, until you piss him off, and then he's a terrifying monster." My form class kids, if they come to me about any other kids picking on them or anything, they know that I go on the warpath on their behalf, which they jokingly refer to as "summoning the Kraken." My head of house said that I'm like a furious grizzly bear protecting its young. And basically, this boy is the one outside of my form class that falls under that umbrella.

Edit: his science teacher was also completely unaware of his status as transgender, so he has his juniors line up outside his room first, in a boys' line and a girls' line, and he was like "hey, what the hell? Why are you in the girls' line? Get in the right one."

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 27, 2018

Bananachin
May 1, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

In other news, in a me being unintentionally insensitive shocker, there's a kid at my school whom I taught last year. Lovely young man, incredibly well-behaved and just an absolute pleasure to have in your class. Likewise with his best friend, who is a very good-natured young lady. I've got stacks of time for the both of them. He's in Y10 now, but he spent a long period with the Northern Health School. He never struck me as sickly, and his attendance for much of 2017 was actually pretty good, until the last month or so. Having inherited the now unfortunately defunct LGBT support group (a colleague joked that the kids obviously think I'm either nice, or gay, and are correct on at least one count), and he attended those get togethers, along with his best friend, who was there as a support person (on another note, a kid in my form class just showed up once, and just hung out with them, because it was basically "all welcome." A guy in the 2nd XV also used to turn up as well. He wasn't gay, he just liked hanging out with the gay kids.)

So, he's gone for a while, and then suddenly starts attending again. And I see him, and I'm like "hey, what's up!" and all that, because, you know, I like the kid. What I haven't mentioned is that this time last year, he was not a dude, but in fact, a girl. And I called him by his girl name. Oh poo poo. Repeatedly. Double poo poo. A transwoman friend of mine told me that whenever someone misgendered her, or called her by her old dude name, even though she knew it was just a matter of habit, with no malice intended, it really cut to the bone.

A few minutes later, I'm trying to find a kid with the same given name on KAMAR, and find the transboy and I'm like "aw gently caress, I am such a loving piece of poo poo!" and spent the rest of the day feeling awful. I talked to my transwoman friend, and was basically like "forgive me Mother Superior, for I have sinned. Here's what I did. What should I do?"

I did call that evening, and apologised to him. He was very gracious about it, and told me that he could tell that I just wasn't aware of his transition.

At school, I have a reputation among students as being "pretty nice, until you piss him off, and then he's a terrifying monster." My form class kids, if they come to me about any other kids picking on them or anything, they know that I go on the warpath on their behalf, which they jokingly refer to as "summoning the Kraken." My head of house said that I'm like a furious grizzly bear protecting its young. And basically, this boy is the one outside of my form class that falls under that umbrella.

Edit: his science teacher was also completely unaware of his status as transgender, so he has his juniors line up outside his room first, in a boys' line and a girls' line, and he was like "hey, what the hell? Why are you in the girls' line? Get in the right one."

I'm at teacher's college right now, and have gotten great support (from the university course coordinators, my peers, and the schools I've been to on observation) irt being out and nonbinary, both when I do my six-week placement from May and eventually joining the profession proper. I actually got to visit my former high school earlier this month for observation, and the teacher running the school's "Q Crew" club there asked me to come visit the club and talk to the kids as a former student. I spent four years overseas after I finished my degree, and I'm glad how much better (or open, at least) things appear to have gotten.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bananachin posted:

I'm at teacher's college right now, and have gotten great support (from the university course coordinators, my peers, and the schools I've been to on observation) irt being out and nonbinary, both when I do my six-week placement from May and eventually joining the profession proper. I actually got to visit my former high school earlier this month for observation, and the teacher running the school's "Q Crew" club there asked me to come visit the club and talk to the kids as a former student. I spent four years overseas after I finished my degree, and I'm glad how much better (or open, at least) things appear to have gotten.

This kid is quite lucky in that he has such supportive parents, a good group of friends from last year that may be a bunch of oddballs but will always be super-supportive of him, and a group of teachers that are hyper-vigilant on his behalf.

This is also the first year in quite some time that I don't have any LGBT kids that I'm aware of in any of my classes, whereas last year had a bumper crop (the aforementioned transboy, and my Y12 Media Studies class had 5 - 2 lesbians, 2 non-binary and 1 gay boy).

My form class also had a bisexual boy for years, and a lesbian. Both have finished school, and have now been replaced with a Y9 girl that identifies as non-binary.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
My advice re misgendering someone is just apologise, move on and do better in the future. Making a big deal out of it can be worse than actually loving it up in the first place.

Supportive teachers are so loving important to queer kids in school.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Surely this is professional misconduct of the kind which should see him being disbarred.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Varkk posted:

Surely this is professional misconduct of the kind which should see him being disbarred.

No it's certainly not, it's a finding that the Crown made a wrong decision, from a junior tribunal.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Why not? Acting as Attorney General he intentionally withheld information from a defendant in an extradition case.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Varkk posted:

Why not? Acting as Attorney General he intentionally withheld information from a defendant in an extradition case.

And if the HRRT had agreed the request was vexatious, per s29(1)(j), it would have been entirely fine. It didn't, so they have to pay an award of damages. You don't get disbarred for losing a court case.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I guess you'd have to prove he thought the request was not vexatious and he was doing it out of spite or some other reason.

Even then, the law might not make a distinction between "denying a request for being vexatious and you believe it to be vexatious" and "denying a request for being vexatious and you don't believe it to be vexatious".

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Given how straight forward it seems our privacy laws are with regard to data held about you and your freedom to request a copy at any time, really the only way I could see requests being vexatious would be if you were to request it from the same people repeatedly, or make multiple requests that specifically covered sequential windows.

They might have been on safer ground if they admitted it had been referred to the AG/SG's office and it was going to be reviewed in light of the on-going litigation but I'm not sure how they'd have been able to claim any form of legal privilege on those outside of confidentiality which wouldn't apply to a person making a request about his own data.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Klen dool, that's right. It was a huge request, but vexatious is a high bar to clear and I agree with the judge they didn't in this case. There needs to be some specific intent to vex (on the balance of probabilities) and asking for information to help you in your court case is pretty far from that, for all it was an extremely wide request (basically he said to the entire NZ government 'give me everything you have'). It would have cost a lot more then $90,000 to provide it, so we got off cheap in that sense lol

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hooray! I got the accounts balanced and the system updated for the tax year!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

So, what are the chances of Clare Curran being the first minister of the current government to be stood down?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If jacinda is smart, 100%. At least for a bit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Eh, she didn't do anything wrong really. It'll blow over

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

bike tory posted:

Eh, she didn't do anything wrong really. It'll blow over

Why did Carol Hirschfeld feel the need to lie then?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am guessing she was plotting behind the back of the CEO and board to do with the proposed new TV service.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Its conjecture at this point why she wanted to keep it secret but the main reason I've seen is that Hirschfeld was a proponent of the govt's plan for an RNZ TV channel, while the chairman of the board I think would rather use the money for other poo poo. Looks like she wanted to go around the board on it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

Its conjecture at this point why she wanted to keep it secret but the main reason I've seen is that Hirschfeld was a proponent of the govt's plan for an RNZ TV channel, while the chairman of the board I think would rather use the money for other poo poo. Looks like she wanted to go around the board on it

that's a really, really improper thing for a Minister to do.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

that's a really, really improper thing for a Minister to do.

Sorry it was unclear, it was Hirschfeld who wanted to go around the board. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the government can direct RNZ to do poo poo so there's no need for Curran to go around the board

It was still inappropriate for the minister to meet privately with the director of content at RNZ, but not hard to brush off as a newbie mistake or momentary lapse of judgement rather than a stackable offense

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 28, 2018

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
clare curran is a bad minister but any wrongdoing on her part is really minor. it basically wouldn't have been a thing if hirschfeld hadn't lied about it for four months.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
also there are far worse political crimes happening as we speak

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet jesus TV's grim nowadays. MAFS is some black mirror level poo poo and now this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And just FYI Aeon Flux retired to become our PM.

All the JACINDA FAILS HER FIRST TEST headlines with accompanying frowning jacinda photo is what did this to me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i can't decide if i find the herald running headlines about MAFS every day or how blatantly they are attacking labour over anything and everyhing more offensive tbh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, I guess I just like to see this sort of thing addressed strongly early on because it only gets looser as the govt goes on, and that becomes the sort of corruption we saw with the last national term.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

i can't decide if i find the herald running headlines about MAFS every day or how blatantly they are attacking labour over anything and everyhing more offensive tbh

For me it's the way Kate Hawkesby and Mike Hosking get a column a day in which to poo poo all over anyone who isn't rich and white like they are.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I guess I just like to see this sort of thing addressed strongly early on because it only gets looser as the govt goes on, and that becomes the sort of corruption we saw with the last national term.

The problem is that there is a sense of this being a blatant fishing expedition, where the press is out to claim an early scalp from this government. Under National, we'd have had John Armstrong running interference for them by now, declaring the issue dead and buried and nothing to see here now, move on at this point.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vagabundo posted:

The problem is that there is a sense of this being a blatant fishing expedition, where the press is out to claim an early scalp from this government. Under National, we'd have had John Armstrong running interference for them by now, declaring the issue dead and buried and nothing to see here now, move on at this point.

yeah you've pretty much said what i meant way more clearly than i did
i mean the herald is a dumpster fire and has been for a long time, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It’s quite telling that the Herald hasn’t even run a story on Chris Finlayson breaking the law, but are screaming about how Curran is literally Hitler because Hirschfeld lied.

• Locked thread