Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Google is at ~5500 miles between interventions these days.

Yes, I vastly misremembered the number. 5,600 miles per human intervention, as you can see in the article I quoted above. Also, consider that Google's self-driving cars are found throughout California, especially LA and the Bay Area, places whose relative traffic density makes the suburbs of Phoenix look like bumfuck, nowhere.

edit: https://youtu.be/1XOVxSCG8u0 promised cell phone video of the area the woman was hit.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Uber has issues but lol if you don't think it's a thousandfold improvement versus the abusive as gently caress poo poo cabbies used to pull before uberlikes existed. I'm not saying that we shouldn't judge them based on values that come from outside the cab industry but a little context is important here.

They underpay their drivers but I'm wondering if I should really care given that every driver I've talked to about it is allergic to doing the math on what their net income really is.

I do think it is inevitable that self driving cars will eventually outperform humans by like an order of magnitude in terms of accident rates. It'll be interesting to see the auto insurance industry shrink as it happens.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Eyes Only posted:

Uber has issues but lol if you don't think it's a thousandfold improvement versus the abusive as gently caress poo poo cabbies used to pull before uberlikes existed. I'm not saying that we shouldn't judge them based on values that come from outside the cab industry but a little context is important here.

They underpay their drivers but I'm wondering if I should really care given that every driver I've talked to about it is allergic to doing the math on what their net income really is.

I do think it is inevitable that self driving cars will eventually outperform humans by like an order of magnitude in terms of accident rates. It'll be interesting to see the auto insurance industry shrink as it happens.

I mean, you'll still need insurance. It'll be a lot more profitable if they hardly ever have to pay out claims, though!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It is surprisingly difficult to get an accurate read on how brightly-lit an area is, in a world with auto-exposure cameras. Your modern cellphone will just drag the shutter until it's properly exposed, so you will get blurring instead of dark photos.

I'm not apologizing for Uber here, their accident rate sounds horrible and the LIDAR absolutely should have picked her up, but an area like this with a streetlight every 100 feet is actually not well-lit and will be quite dark in reality (apart from the headlights). Look at the chainlink fence off to the side, once you are out of the headlights there is very little ambient illumination.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 27, 2018

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Video is bullshit. Peoples eyes are far better at seeing at night than a dashcam. Also, that lameo wasn't looking. Its on him.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Gyrotica posted:

I mean, you'll still need insurance. It'll be a lot more profitable if they hardly ever have to pay out claims, though!

Personal auto insurance is one of the most competitive types of insurance there is. If accident rates go down nationwide premiums are going to fall accordingly.

I see lovely auto insurance startups pop up and lose money all the time, going under a few years later. It's like the "I can open a restaurant!" equivalent of the insurance industry.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of their Greyball program which they used in multiple markets. The tl;dr of it is that they could tell if a government official was using the Uber app and would send fake data to those IPs in order to deceive authorities who were looking to crackdown on their business practices.
I actually don't mind this one because when they were running here initially as an outlaw service, the Taxicab Authority was just hailing rides and then arresting drivers while wearing masks and vests. Again, this wasn't the Metro PD, this was the Taxicab Authority enforcement agents. Acting like a SWAT team and then downplaying it later. And a patrol car in the back was full of local journalists from the paper and all the TV affiliates that they brought to this sting to make an example out of a driver.

Everything else about Uber, particularly on the executive level, loving sucks.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 27, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol did a bunch of cabs run over your dogs or something

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

It is surprisingly difficult to get an accurate read on how brightly-lit an area is, in a world with auto-exposure cameras. Your modern cellphone will just drag the shutter until it's properly exposed, so you will get blurring instead of dark photos.

I'm not apologizing for Uber here, their accident rate sounds horrible and the LIDAR absolutely should have picked her up, but an area like this with a streetlight every 100 feet is actually not well-lit and will be quite dark in reality (apart from the headlights). Look at the chainlink fence off to the side, once you are out of the headlights there is very little ambient illumination.

lol looks like we are having people hustled by uber right in this thread

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/police-chief-said-uber-victim-came-from-the-shadows-dont-believe-it/

the same spot recorded by someone else

quote:

In this nighttime video, posted to YouTube by Brian Kaufman on Wednesday, the scene of the crash can be seen around 0:33. Features at the sides of the road—including curbs, signs, and bushes—are clearly visible. No pedestrians walk into the road during the video, but it seems clear that Herzberg would have been visible much earlier if the Uber video had been taken with this camera.

quote:

Another YouTuber, Dana Black, posted this video. His camera work isn't as good as Kaufman's—the video is blurry and he doesn't hold his camera steady. But his video supports the same basic conclusion. "It's not as dark as that video made it look," Black says in the video as he drives past the point in the road where Herzberg was hit (around 0:33). "My footage is from my Pixel XL and looks pretty similar to real life," he writes in the YouTube description.

also lol @ the fact that one of uber's company core value is literally "Always be hustlin" so it's no surprise that they'd do anything to 'win'.

Edit: i blame nvidia's lack of new consumer GPU for this derail.

coke fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 28, 2018

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
new gpus would have brought us together; instead, we’re tearing each other apart!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
We can use instruments to detect objects billions of light-years away, there's really no excuse for a car not "seeing" someone because holding computers to human standards of vision doesn't make sense when hardware is available that allows them to be far more capable. Since apparently Uber uses LIDAR then it sounds like a problem with their implementation/software.

Also I'm kind of relieved that no new cards were announced since I just bought one, I still think we will see new cards in 2018 because they said ray tracing would be available in "games this year" though maybe they didn't mean the AI denoising that uses Tensor? I guess the next most likely event to announce is in June

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The dumb part (that I acknowledged right upfront) is that LIDAR doesn't even "see" in visible light, she should have showed up regardless of ambient lighting, so yeah gently caress Uber on this one, there really isn't an excuse here. 13 miles between takeovers is inexcusably bad, they shouldn't be off a closed course or "neighborhood electric vehicle" (aka golf-cart) type situations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

The dumb part (that I acknowledged right upfront) is that LIDAR doesn't even "see" in visible light, she should have showed up regardless, so yeah gently caress Uber on this one, there really isn't an excuse here.

If you ever want to really see how dumb people are, check out the comments on FB articles about this crash. It's funny briefly but it gets sad very quickly.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If you ever want to really see how dumb people are, check out the comments on FB articles about this crash. It's funny briefly but it gets sad very quickly.

Can't imagine it's worse than when Tesla freed a man from his head because it thought a turning semi was the sky.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

E: nm, autonomous vehicle derails are dumb

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

E: nm, autonomous vehicle derails are dumb

Dumber than having a 400k rig for gaming??

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

coke posted:

Dumber than having a 400k rig for gaming??

listen here you little poo poo

the more you buy, the more you save, what don't you understand here!?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Cygni posted:

Computex is June 5-9, E3 is June 12-14, the pain for those needing a graphics card is now-forever.

e: they apparently launched the 1080 at DreamHack, which is June 16-19 this year.

The 1070 was released June 2016. The 1080 in May.

Nvidia isn't going to make an announcement at another event. They had their own event in Austin to announce the GTX 1070/1080 in early May 2016 and will likely have their own event for the GTX 1100s too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
The next event will be nvidia featuring the integration of their tech with some dumb iot device like a toilet or something

no new cards for gamerz until 2019

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The next event will be nvidia featuring the integration of their tech with some dumb iot device like a toilet or something

pedoflops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Paul MaudDib posted:

listen here you little poo poo

the more you buy, the more you save, what don't you understand here!?

WORK WITH ME

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

WORK WITH ME

it was a very simple message, tom

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My poor, soon to be four year old gtx 970 :negative:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3271-gddr6-slated-for-next-gen-nvidia-gpus-3-month-mass-production

So probably nothing in H1 at the very least.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Link to the money shot?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

20% higher cost than GDDR5 and expected to come down to 10%-15% more as production ramps up. So higher GPU MSRP looking likely, which everyone had already expected.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Just correcting that a bit looking at current stock

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

pedoflops

:pedo: :dong:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
if you think it’s hard to find a card now, just wait until they start putting them in every new car on the road.

and then just wait until someone figures out you can mine...with your car

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 28, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just want new sub 1000 dollar GPUs. I can afford that every 2 years. I get annoyed at people telling me to buy 3000 or 9000 dollar Titans or Quadros. I could afford that...once. You don't afford more expensive things by spending more money.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

craig588 posted:

I just want new sub 1000 dollar GPUs. I can afford that every 2 years. I get annoyed at people telling me to buy 3000 or 9000 dollar Titans or Quadros. I could afford that...once. You don't afford more expensive things by spending more money.

hey

buy more save more

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

craig588 posted:

What if you spent more, and then mined with it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hold on to ur fuckin labia/balls cause the Asrock AMD videocards are... well... they are videocards alright

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm seeing a lack of LEDs. ASRock are truly the best brand to ever exist. Especially in their weird limbo of "uses real cutting edge stuff, uses real cheap stuff, manages to have great quality anyway, does unique stuff that people want".

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Cygni posted:

hold on to ur fuckin labia/balls cause the Asrock AMD videocards are... well... they are videocards alright

The last time the Phantom label was associated with gaming it didn't turn out so well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If they start selling these at MSRP this week they're gonna sell like loving waffles lmfao

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I mean THEY likely will. The price will change at the the distributors who have standing orders for tens of thousands of cards

Oh those are 580s. It will be interesting. They effectively cant mine anymore and unlike Nvidia there is no impending new gen to blame supply on. All sales should go to regular gaming... lets see what shows up in stock.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 28, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

Honestly don't mind the design here, there is some seriously atrocious looking poo poo out there and this is a fairly minimalist.

Also kind of confirms AMD isn't planning much for 2018 if ASRock has a go ahead for the RX 500 series. There was some hope that AMD would refresh with Vega12 a week ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

FaustianQ posted:

fairly minimalist

:laffo: