Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Len posted:

There's apparently nobody around the blood-starved beast to summon or be summoned ):

Alfred should always be available. He puts up a little lamp to one side of the garden in front of BSB's chapel, a little out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

marshmallow creep posted:

Alfred should always be available. He puts up a little lamp to one side of the garden in front of BSB's chapel, a little out of the way.

I want a full party stomp on this guy. I do not enjoy Souls game boss fights and want them over asap.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Len posted:

There's apparently nobody around the blood-starved beast to summon or be summoned ):

This will smack of "git gud" advice, but it's really not:

lock on, and circle you YOUR left. He will now whiff all of his attacks but like 2 - the "extend arm then fly halfway across the room" one, and the "leap and grab" . For both, just quickstep left.

Or: use the speed runners' technique:

Before you go in, equip: Antidote (just in case), Beast Blood Pellets, Pungent Blood Cocktails and Fire Paper.

When you walk in, get about halfway into the room and pop a Pellet. Then move to your right past the pillars so you are against the Right wall facing the far end. As you get close, lob a Cocktail at that wall/corner, and pop Fire Paper. Count to 10 or so slowly in your head. BSB will aggro the cocktail and you can freely swing for the fences. When you reach 10, toss another cocktail. Should only take about 3 before he's dead. He's super allergic to Fire and since he's a Beast - anything Serrated (Saw Cleaver is probs best).

Summoning makes that fight a LOT less manageable.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

I want a full party stomp on this guy. I do not enjoy Souls game boss fights and want them over asap.

I don't think you'll enjoy this game with this kind of mindset...the boss fights are the cherry on top of Soulsbornes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Len posted:

You finally got past Gascoigne, though!

Try leveling up a bit, you might just be out of the level range of people hanging around outside BSB.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

I don't think you'll enjoy this game with this kind of mindset...the boss fights are the cherry on top of Soulsbornes.

I enjoyed Demons Souls, Ds1 and 3 and this. I just don't really like the whole "and here's a brick wall of difficulty" moments that are most boss fights.

And yeah I found a madman's insight I missed and got a full group to just beat Father G to death.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That man had a family!!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

oldpainless posted:

That man had a family!!

Not anymore.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Len posted:

I enjoyed Demons Souls, Ds1 and 3 and this. I just don't really like the whole "and here's a brick wall of difficulty" moments that are most boss fights.

And yeah I found a madman's insight I missed and got a full group to just beat Father G to death.

If you have any insight to spare (without dropping below 2 - you want 1 to be able to summon and 1 to level up afterwards if you screw up) grabbing some of Gascoigne's outfit is good for BSB, it's got a ton of slow poison resistance. Also, BSB can be parried pretty easily (remembering that the bullet needs to hit during the actual attack, not the backswing) but only if you're fighting it on your own machine, if you get summoned for someone else's fight the lag makes parries a real pain. But getting summoned is free and beating bosses in other worlds is a great way to farm insight so you might as well try being a summon a few times for practice.

The other option is just to ignore BSB and go fight Vicar Amelia because she's like a bigger, dumber, easier BSB anyway.

Failing all that come post in the BB thread in GBS and someone will jump in to help ya.

E: Len I was gonna message you about co-oping it later today if you wanted but you don't have PMs.

e: VVV wait, seriously? I could've been summoning on some of those earlier bosses back before I Got Gud

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Mar 27, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You don't need to hold onto any Insight after the first one. If you've talked to the Doll once, your PC has no problems leveling up just standing over her lifeless body going "good enough".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It's really annoying how Bloodborne handles dying at the same time as a boss or major fight, sometimes. I just killed BSB for someone but they died right as PREY SLAUGHTERED appeared and I'm not sure they got credit for the kill even though I got the echoes and insight :(

Also Len, if you read this, let's go kill some beasts, seriously.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Three ways:

1) Using a shield makes him fairly easy, a lot of his attacks can just be blocked.
2) Most of his attacks can be parried, though if you suck at parrying (like me) this isn't helpful at all.
3) Lots of dodging and learning his openings

I did 3, and it took hours of failure. First time I got to him, I actually uninstalled the game because I wasted 3 or 4 hours without being able to beat him. It is do-able though!

I used strategy 3 the first time I beat him, and yeah it took a long rear end time, and then just summoned 2 of the 3 NPCs right outside his room on subsequent playthroughs. They make the fight laughably easy, a lot moreso than co-op makes just about any fight in Souls easier.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I literally cannot parry in DS3 to save my life, I am not sure what I'm doing wrong with the timing. And someone else mentioned it before but the input queuing in DS3 is really weird for a Souls game, like it's just off somehow.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To me it's because DS3 has a lot of Bloodborne enemies outside of Bloodborne, so there's a lot of timing that feels super off handling them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the way to parry in dark souls 3 is to watch your stamina bar when you parry--the stamina goes away the instant the parry frames start. That's the length of delay you have to keep in mind.

I could never parry in any of the souls games, but I could do it in 3 as soon as someone told me that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

It's really annoying how Bloodborne handles dying at the same time as a boss or major fight, sometimes. I just killed BSB for someone but they died right as PREY SLAUGHTERED appeared and I'm not sure they got credit for the kill even though I got the echoes and insight :(

Also Len, if you read this, let's go kill some beasts, seriously.

I'd be down. I work second shift though so I don't normally play during normal people hours it's all early morning or late at night. I just killed BSB this morning and I'm working my way through the Cathedral Ward. I remember enough to not get completely wrecked by enemies but not enough to remember how to get to the lane with the witches where I get to start using runes.

My PSN name is roxormancer if you want to try and coordinate something sometime

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I finished the main campaign in Watch_Dogs 2, and I gotta say, this is an spectacular game. I think this is the first time where I felt like the city I played on was really mine to toy with, that I could snap my fingers and make everything go south - and I did, multiple times. And even then, it was very balanced, as Marcus is very fragile so, even if you have all the tech in the world, you still gotta be smart when using it, as one single guard with the shittiest pistol in the world will easily take you down. I also felt the story was much, much better than Persona 5 at portraying abuses of power, as using technology to prey on people is something that won't go away for a long time, if at all.

However, until the very end, I couldn't help but think that every single mission and storyline would be better if Ray was replaced with Horatio, and if he had some actual development. Ray shows up from nowhere and instantly becomes best buddies with Marcus - and while Sitara and Wrench call him out a couple of times, he's always on the right - while Ratio is completely forgotten. It's like they never planned to have him in the game at all, aside from having a couple of jabs at racial segregation at Silicon Valley.

It just feels weird that the game seems to be so well put together and they left this one aspect that stands out like a sore thumb.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So apparently I'm at the point of no return in Xenoblade 2, so I'm doing all the quests before I finish up the game. And I got around to doing Dahlia's quest - and I swear each time the camera changed her body would get more and more lovecraftian every time the camera jumped around during cutscenes.

The story is also really hit and miss right now, anything involving the villains has been super boring. Though there's some good chatter between the party at times, when they aren't veering off into having to explain things.
And there's just been constant "I had this power all along" which has been getting old - and I'm not sure if the villian busting out a Monado, complete with various arts is actually really cool or really bad.

Also this is both a good and bad thing - I think Xeno 1 did this, but characters have automated responses during quests - which seem really pointless and more like a prompt to start button mashing through the rest of the dialouge.
But occasionally you'll get an exchange like:
:(: "My wife is dead"
:): "Glad that worked out!"
And your party will come out looking like complete assholes which is great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My favorite generic response in XBC2 was Nia's "Wow, that sucks!". Always lined up in the filler conversations in hilarious ways

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pontiff Sulyvahn in DS3 is kind of a weird one because he actually gets somewhat harder and less predictable if you summon more people because of the health scaling and his clone being unpredictable.

If you just equip a fire-resistant high-block shield and circle counterclockwise around him and attack him during clear openings then he can't actually do more than chip damage to you.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think the thing dragging down Sea of Thieves is that it’s 100AUD. I’m fine with the game having no level up system or stat increases. That kind of stuff is not strictly necessary and I think tying progression to how cool your characters look is a pretty good idea. But a 100 bucks for it is pretty steep.

Too many games now exploit incremental rewards to keep people playing and I think it is actually ruining peoples brains. Titanfall copped heaps of poo poo because there was only like 12 guns or whatever, even though each of those guns had a niche. People ripped on it for a lack of content even though they made some absolutely inspired design decisions and the core gameplay was fun as hell.

Now it kind of feels like if you don’t have 50+ guns for people to unlock they will get bored, even if 48 of those guns are outclassed by the remaining two. Everyone just wants that hit of dopamine that you get from gambling or acquiring something new.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think the thing dragging down Sea of Thieves is that it’s 100AUD. I’m fine with the game having no level up system or stat increases. That kind of stuff is not strictly necessary and I think tying progression to how cool your characters look is a pretty good idea. But a 100 bucks for it is pretty steep.

Too many games now exploit incremental rewards to keep people playing and I think it is actually ruining peoples brains. Titanfall copped heaps of poo poo because there was only like 12 guns or whatever, even though each of those guns had a niche. People ripped on it for a lack of content even though they made some absolutely inspired design decisions and the core gameplay was fun as hell.

Now it kind of feels like if you don’t have 50+ guns for people to unlock they will get bored, even if 48 of those guns are outclassed by the remaining two. Everyone just wants that hit of dopamine that you get from gambling or acquiring something new.

Well... yeah, almost every game will have things like this because a sense of progression is integral to making things fun and interesting. All the way back to Zelda or Metroid giving you more stuff to play with or more powerful stuff to replace older items, if Sea of Thieves wanted to throw that out it could have had a rock solid set of mechanics fully exploited from the start, but it doesn't, instead it has nothing. I don't care if you write off the basic logic of making fun videogames as a skinner box (it isn't), this is a failure.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

However, until the very end, I couldn't help but think that every single mission and storyline would be better if Ray was replaced with Horatio, and if he had some actual development. Ray shows up from nowhere and instantly becomes best buddies with Marcus - and while Sitara and Wrench call him out a couple of times, he's always on the right - while Ratio is completely forgotten. It's like they never planned to have him in the game at all, aside from having a couple of jabs at racial segregation at Silicon Valley.
Considering that Horatio's only job in the game is to get murdered by a gang to trigger a mission with no bearing on the plot, I'm willing to bet his whole design process went something like:
- writers come up with the core team of Marcus, Sitara, Wrench, Josh and later Ray
- some executive shoehorns in the revenge mission and won't budge on including it
- writers equally refuse to kill off any of their actually fleshed out characters
- someone slaps together Horatio and they rewrite the game so he's part of your crew from the start, so no one complains on the internet about how they introduced a character just to kill him off

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

My Lovely Horse posted:

Considering that Horatio's only job in the game is to get murdered by a gang to trigger a mission with no bearing on the plot, I'm willing to bet his whole design process went something like:
- writers come up with the core team of Marcus, Sitara, Wrench, Josh and later Ray
- some executive shoehorns in the revenge mission and won't budge on including it
- writers equally refuse to kill off any of their actually fleshed out characters
- someone slaps together Horatio and they rewrite the game so he's part of your crew from the start, so no one complains on the internet about how they introduced a character just to kill him off

Just another example of how TWO black men are rarely allowed in media. One of them always manages to find themselves being made redundant and eliminated.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ray was still handled 100x better in the sequel than in the original, where he was very clearly one of the writer’s Mary Sues

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
fallout four

-you cant manually assign a villager to multiple crops, you have to wait for them to do it (or maybe only villagers can only focus on one crop at a time!)
-why should i give a poo poo about acquiring or helping any settlements other than sanctuary? just..go to sanctuary, dont loving stick around next to a factory of raiders.
-hey guys look at all the benefits leather and/or metal armor gives! mix and match! oh you're just going to roll around in your x-01 power armor with 80+ fusion cores? I guess thats our fault for giving you a full set of it right off the bat
-legendary enemies should always drop guns. never armor. gently caress regular armor. even then the unique guns will either have a great effect like "fires two projectiles" or an absolute poo poo effect such as "does 15% more damage against ghouls/humans/super mutants/robots". even then, a very small amount of unique weapons look special. i've found: lorenzo's artifact, that one guy's radiation sword, and...nothing else.
-the entire perk system. gently caress it all. why are some of the high-stat perks garbage like Rooted, why is making your gun better gated behind perks, why at this entire system. they really should have just kept the regular 0-100 stats in so players could spread out what they can do as opposed to having to upgrade their perception so they can get the lockpicking perk (lets be real who rolls high perception characters). also, gently caress the charisma checks or whatever the gently caress you wanna call em, nine charisma and i have a high chance of failing "hey buddy give me more caps for the job!"
-i hate every companion except for nick valentine. really thats just a matter of my options being the piece of poo poo kid from fallout 3 who is all grown up now, an annoying junkie ghoul*, an annoying irish junkie, an annoying peppy lady, annoying settlement meme man, a dog that keeps blocking your loving PATH MOVE rear end in a top hat, or codsworth.
-the only good NPC in this game is Moe, the Swatter salesman.
-when modifying power armor, there is an annoying highlight covering the piece of the armor you're modifying, so you cant see what kind of paint you're giving it before you craft it.
-scopes loving suck because of the transition from hip firing to scoped in
-you just cant wipe out a settlement like you can in new vegas. there's always someone who cant die until you complete their quest (even then they might not be killable), or someone who just cant die at all until you join up with the faction that opposes them and you specifically get the "go shoot all these dumb assholes" quest

on the flipside, the new power armor system is pretty cool, the different modifications you can give it are pretty rad, and when the gunplay works in this game, its really fun. it just works.

*hancock's dialogue during the silver shroud quest is the best poo poo in the game though

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Mar 28, 2018

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fallout 4

- everything EXCEPT having Blitz2 and huge luck that lets you blink around at warp speed beating the hell out of infinite people with a supersledge, warping to your victims regardless of cover, distance or height advantage

spit on my clit posted:

fallout four
-legendary enemies should always drop guns.

Agreed

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

you never cease to amaze, todd

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Evilreaver posted:

Fallout 4

- everything EXCEPT having Blitz2 and huge luck that lets you blink around at warp speed beating the hell out of infinite people with a supersledge, warping to your victims regardless of cover, distance or height advantage

Agreed

So I haven't played F4 much, is the joke that gamma guns heal ghouls or something?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vic posted:

So I haven't played F4 much, is the joke that gamma guns heal ghouls or something?

ghouls are completely immune to radiation damage. also on that list: "wasteland creatures", robots, and super mutants, so i think this means that only humans are vulnerable to it

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

spit on my clit posted:

ghouls are completely immune to radiation damage. also on that list: "wasteland creatures", robots, and super mutants, so i think this means that only humans are vulnerable to it

lol so they added a new damage type but made nearly all the enemies in the game immune to it?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Radiation guns were in 3 and NV as well.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Radiation guns were in 3 and NV as well.

Plasma and Laser. They still damaged ghouls but with reduction.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Tardcore posted:

lol so they added a new damage type but made nearly all the enemies in the game immune to it?

No, they added a weapon so enemies can wreck you super hard with them.

Though you know, I never tested it - does anyone know how does radiation work against really hp heavy legendary raiders? Is it more effective to kill them with radiation?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Explosive is better. Though the artifact that turns the gamma gun into a physics cannon is fantastic.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
more fallout four gripes:

-remember when the game would tell you "crippled X enemy's Y limb" so you'd know you crippled that limb outside of looking at them in VATS? cause thats not in this game
-the super sledge swings about twice as fast in third person mode. it should swing that fast in first person, too.
-whenever Shaun isn't on screen, everyone is asking "where's shaun?"
-the most realistic part of the game: there's only two good songs on the radio - Butcher Pete and the Wanderer.
-Travis is no Three Dog or Mister New Vegas
-there's no permanent "Speak as the Shroud" option in the dialogue wheel outside of the Silver Shroud quest, rendering the whole "choose your line" thing completely useless
-can't play Moe's version of baseball
-holy poo poo the season pass is actually fifty dollars. i thought it was initially increased from $30 to $40, did they increase it again or am I misremembering?
-gently caress you todd im not buying the $25 and $20 story dlcs, i'll buy them on a PS Store sale whenever there is one.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

spit on my clit posted:

more fallout four gripes:

-holy poo poo the season pass is actually fifty dollars. i thought it was initially increased from $30 to $40, did they increase it again or am I misremembering?

They went from 30 to 50 dollars.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jetamo posted:

when i close my eyes i see todd howard gazing at me, as if to say "have you bought the season pass? fallout VR? how are you enjoying the creation club?"

help me.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

spit on my clit posted:

when i close my eyes i see todd howard gazing at me, as if to say "have you bought the season pass? fallout VR? how are you enjoying the creation club?"

help me.

To be fair, they could have been more douchey about it and made you pay for the DLC they released outside of the original season pass even if you bought it.

Looking at you, Gearbox and Borderlands 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jetamo posted:

This is hilarious. You either buy the pass sight unseen at a cheaper price, or you pay a higher price when you can see what it all comes with.