Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VERY YES :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Seconding that is a cool car with a decent engine combo. Not a bad price really for a v8/stick of the era, but less so in a Vega. I always buy manual transmission wagons, and so should you!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think it's a 5 grand car. Very neat.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Do it you wont

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've been looking for something classic to fool around with. Never really looked at Vegas, but from what I can find it's a solid price if it's as described/pictured.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And hey, if the engine ever dies and you decide to upgrade to a 350, or even a gen 3, a lot of the hard work has been done already.

Doooo eeeeeet

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

You say that as if the 6 months of summer between April and October isn't its own flavor of depressing.

Haha you clearly have never lived in a state that sees only a couple of months worth of sunshine a year.

The summers here aren't depressing they're just hot and I'll take that over the cold, dark and depressing winters all day long.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Enourmo posted:

You say that as if the 6 months of summer between April and October isn't its own flavor of depressing.

"Oh no, the sun!" - me in Florida in July as I drink lots of water and un-sweet iced tea as I do cool yard work in the heat, maybe go to the beach and take whatever giant, wide, clear and smooth stretches of tarmac since everything around me is built for 3x the population but all the snowbirds are up north for the summer.

"what is the point of existing i wish i were dead" - me under 2 feet of snow on any January day in Muskegon where it is cold and dark when you wake up in the morning and it is the same cold and dark when you leave work and that night you get another 2 feet of snow because lol lake effect.

I'm just one dude but there is zero contest between the two are you kidding me.

I think you won't do it because clearly this rad as hell wagon is too cool for you :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe i'm just salty cause I hosed up this weekend and spent waaaay too much time in the sun without protection, and my forehead was actually blistered for a bit.

Also because I've recently discovered I like long-sleeved styles better and they're hella impractical for most of the year here.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Never mind the like 270 completely overcast days in West MI from that same rear end in a top hat lake effect.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I remember thinking Norway was depressing with all the snow and dark and 24hr days of dark and then I moved to Detroit after living in Wollongong

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Current situation is chilling in a chair in the dark sippin on a beer as my two little ones snooze happily away in a hotel halfway to the beach. Right now at this moment I am happy and I am not worrying about a thing.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Well yeah those places are neato, get the nice beach temps, and this is literally going to be the most ideal couple weeks of beautiful weather all year. I'm going camping in the middle of a SoCal desert this week because it will be incredible, even out there. Figure out where you could realistically afford to live inland (SFV or Anaheim or whatever), and come back in august and spend a week there, driving the commute you'd be driving. Be sure to not run A/C for a couple of days to simulate peak-demand power outages!

Glad you're having fun, how much longer are you in town? Doing any more touristy stuff?

also obligatory gently caress off, we're full mate

Yeah I was thinking about going inland to see how she likes it and how much more affordable it is. The big question mark for me is how much will I make, since it seems the average for swengs is only slightly higher than back home but with 1.75x higher COL and housing that’s about 4-8x higher. The missus being a nurse can work anywhere and wouldn’t have to take her boards again, which is nice.

But yeah nah we might hit the Venice beach boardwalk after spending today in downtown Manhattan beach and Venice beach just walking and chilling on the beach. We also found a really really good church that I actually enjoyed which is super important for us and straight up the church by itself is a great reason to move here

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the job I want isn't starting their next round of hiring for another 32 days. That sucks. So I guess I'm gonna go work at Costco for a month.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

So the job I want isn't starting their next round of hiring for another 32 days. That sucks. So I guess I'm gonna go work at Costco for a month.

Bro people work at Costco for life. Costco is how capitalism is supposed to be done.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Bro people work at Costco for life. Costco is how capitalism is supposed to be done.

100% this

They’re amazing to work for

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a confession. Well, multiple.

Raisin Bran is good. (I hate raisins in general: Like Alton Brown says, raisins are always optional, but for some reason it works in the cereal)

Total is pretty okay. I like it.

Cracklin' Oat Bran is loving amazing.

Crispix is my jam. Favorite go-to cereal. Kix is right next door.

This was your sponsored-by-Kellogg (are they GM or Kellogg or nabisco? I don't know I only know the boxes) post.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My brother just sent me this pic of dozer

:allears:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Raisin Bran is good. (I hate raisins in general: Like Alton Brown says, raisins are always optional, but for some reason it works in the cereal)

This was your sponsored-by-Kellogg (are they GM or Kellogg or nabisco? I don't know I only know the boxes) post.
Cracklin Oat Bran is a secret oatmeal Cookie Crisp. I am dangerous around that stuff.

I don't do cereal much anymore since it's awkward to eat at work. I still snack on some dry quaker oatmeal squares though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

Cracklin Oat Bran is a secret oatmeal Cookie Crisp. I am dangerous around that stuff.

I don't do cereal much anymore since it's awkward to eat at work.

It's the cookie crisp for adults! And it's supposed to be good for you, which is why it comes in such small boxes.

Probably not good for you if you eat 1/3rd the box in one bowl, though :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

100% this

They’re amazing to work for

Yeah I hear amazing things. But the other job is $6 more per hour, full medical and they run skeleton on saturday and sunday so weekends almost certainly off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku42Iszh9KM

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

It's the cookie crisp for adults! And it's supposed to be good for you, which is why it comes in such small boxes.

Probably not good for you if you eat 1/3rd the box in one bowl, though :smith:
Not sure if I'm extra gullible today because I've already been :thejoke:'d once today but that stuff might be the worst cereal possible. It's basically cookies, unironically. ¾ of a cup is 200 calories and 7 grams of fat.

That tiny 17oz cereal box is 10 servings, so 2000 calories in a total box.

Cage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 28, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

gently caress YOU, PASSLOCK. loving thing made me 15 minutes late to work today when it decided "no, gently caress you, I require two relearns of your ignition switch" after I grabbed breakfast.

Have the new switch sitting here, just don't have T15 (to remove the ignition switch) + T20 (to remove the wiper switch; not strictly necessary, but makes access a lot easier from what I've dug up) Torx bits handy. Had the passlock light pop on 3 more times through the day (but it was solid, and the car started those times). Wound up using the spare key I keep in my wallet to keep the car running all goddamned day (almost 10 hours), and using the fob to lock/unlock (thankfully it still works with the engine running); I didn't want to chance it pulling that poo poo on me again. I don't like leaving my car running unattended.

iwentdoodie posted:

Bought the piece of poo poo Civic! Interior is going to give me hantavirus, and it needs 2 wheels and tires (as it's rolling 14s in front, 13s in back and one is corded) but it runs like a goddamn dream. Pretty sure motor/trans are new, or at the very least very recently rebuilt.

Probably hit the JY this weekend for wheels, get some tires, and in the meantime pull the nasty rear end poo poo out of the interior and clean it. Seats are newer, but carpet is thrashed. It's also an EX, not a DX. Sunroof and power windows all work.

Sunroof and painted door handles give it away as an EX... and if those didn't, the engine shot does (assuming someone hadn't dropped the Y8 into a DX). The non-VTEC motors got a completely different intake (airbox, throttle body, manifold.. the works). That engine bay looks too clean though, someone at least power washed it.

The manuals got real broken if you sidestepped the clutch much... the main input shaft bearing was what I managed to kill on 2 of them.

For $520, not bad at all. I used to have a 96 EX coupe (in whatever that green color was that they had for 96 and 97). Fun cars, and I'd definitely own one again.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm only prejudiced against middle aged white women, because they sit at a table yapping away for 3 hours and only order one drink
:colbert:

:siren: TIPPED EMPLOYEE SPOTTED :siren:

I didn't make poo poo today either. Several stiffs, on delivery, while it was pouring. :fuckoff: I have the option of rejecting the no tip orders, but I rejected a bunch last week, and it brought down my rolling 30 day average low enough that I'm in danger of losing early access to scheduling.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Someone please share the secret to uprooting your life and moving 2000mi away to sunshine and happiness

How about you just take a look at the cost of living out there instead? Specifically, housing prices. :stonk: Then take a look at taxes out there. :stonkhat: Then the laws regarding car modifications. :fuckoff:

I'd love to live in Cali myself, but there's no way in hell I could afford it in this lifetime, even if I did win the lotto.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It gets harder as your parents get older.

You're a bit late with that one, he lost one less than a year and a half ago... :smith:

But I get the sentiment - I'm moving a mere 3 hours away soon, and my parents are in their 70s.... and the older they get, the less capable overall they seem to get (see: stepdad shoving four 150 watt incandescent bulbs into the bedroom ceiling fan when the CFLs I had in it burned out.. him constantly hounding me to work on his F-150, my phone blowing up when a smoke detector has a low battery chirp, etc). Stepdad's the one that instilled my "DIY if possible" mindset in me, yet today he refuses to even change the air filter on the furnace...

I did give him a severe mindfuck yesterday though. He wants to get a newer truck, and put a lot of emphasis on it being reliable (his 2001 F-150 is on its 3rd trans at 130k, though the original was rebuilt by Aamco at 125k... rebuilt again when it failed at 126k, it'll probably fail again shortly, eats ignition coils like they're candy, interior has fallen apart, rear doors don't open, belches a huge cloud of blue smoke on a cold start, etc). He wanted to hear Ford. I said Chevy. He hates GM, but GM has managed to keep a dead simple OHV engine in their modern trucks, and at least going on my own experiences under the hood of Ford Triton vs Chevy LSx, the Chevys are usually easier to work on. He tends to drop $5-10k on a truck, so he's at the lower end of the market for the kind of truck he wants (leather, power everything, etc).

I have a feeling there's going to be pretty regular trips back to DFW. And I think I may have just started a Ford vs Chevy debate. :ohdear: He wanted my opinion, I gave it to him.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 28, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Galler posted:

It certainly shouldn't be but I think it actually is due to some terrible architecture decisions made a long time ago. AFAIK that's a big part of why lowtax has had issues keeping this place going. It's either spend a bunch of money to migrate everything to a reasonable platform or keep spending a bunch (but lesser amount) of money to keep the current abomination running.

Radium's site code hates us, every one.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

quote:

Stock 283 with a 4 speed transmission.

I have a boner.

e: I would have named my firstborn 283 Chevy if I could have gotten away with it.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 28, 2018

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Never mind the like 270 completely overcast days in West MI from that same rear end in a top hat lake effect.

The great lakes are terrible. I lived in Akron for far too long and the people that live there are used to the gloom of overcast skies. We moved to Columbus, only 100 miles South 10 years ago and were stunned by the difference in weather. Not only is there no lake effect snow, there's also sun here, a lot! It's like you don't have to live in gloomy places and whether you recognize it or not, the gloom affects your mood.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KakerMix posted:

I grew up in Muskegon so I know all about Michigan and winters and is the number one reason I now live in Florida. Sure it's lol Florida lol but so what, Michigan has it's own (horrible, terrible) issues, it's just that down here I don't have 'bleak' in my vocabulary between the months of October - April. If it's California or Texas or Florida or Georgia or whatever you should live somewhere that isn't weatherly-depressing.

Ha, my sister lived in Muskegon and when I was 11-17 I used to go visit in the summer. Saw my first ever concert in GR, Pantera with Morbid Angel. Would've been summer of 00 or 01 right before they broke up.

Edit: STR every connector in the engine is new. Those intake parts are new. Literally the only reused poo poo on this motor is the a.c. and alt. Everything else is legit brand loving new. Shining a light into the valve cover reveals bright shiny cam and all surfaces are perfect. There's no way this thing has more than 10 or 15k on it.

As for CoL, I make a solid 30k less in FL than I did in CA. I noe have more in savings, more to play with, and am so much more loving comfortable it isn't even funny. I love Cali, but I could never, ever live there again unless I was single and making at least 150k. And that's even with now paying for healthcare and being taxed at a higher fed rate since I'm no longer military.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 28, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Had a bowl of Crispix with a banana this morning. Good stuff.

Here's my late new page toll. No car, but it is my dog.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Outgoing beater knows it's going to die. Battery was dead as a doorknob this morning out of nowhere.

So now I have 1000 worth of used Honda/Acura products with dead batteries.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Milk makes me congested and pimpley (but oddly cheese does not) so cereal is a sometimes treat.

That said, I grew up on Post Raisin Bran mixed with Crispix (well, Chex before Crispix was a thing). But if I'm going to do a sometimes treat it's going to be either Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or Golden Grahams.

Also, someone turns 40 today :toot: This is when I start counting backwards, right?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Goober Peas posted:

Milk makes me congested and pimpley (but oddly cheese does not) so cereal is a sometimes treat.
Even all the other milk varieties? Almond milk is really good, plus it stays good for at least a month or two in your fridge.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't handle almond or soy milk unless it's a smoothie or mixed. I love the taste of full fat moo juice but man it tears me up.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Holy poo poo I want it. I never knew that was a thing and it's ... yeah.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Had a bowl of Crispix with a banana this morning. Good stuff.

Here's my late new page toll. No car, but it is my dog.

Dats a good doggo. V happy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Goober Peas posted:

Also, someone turns 40 today :toot: This is when I start counting backwards, right?

Wait... it goes backwards after 40? Hell yeah, I'm 28 now!

Also, Happy Birthday. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Goober Peas posted:

I can't handle almond or soy milk unless it's a smoothie or mixed. I love the taste of full fat moo juice but man it tears me up.

Milk and cheese give me horrific gas, but no pain, so I usually eat them anyway.

The exception being Swiss, which hits my stomach like a mack truck and puts me on the toilet for at least an hour within 30m of eating it. Which I still do, because it's what comes on cuban sandwiches and I loving love cuban sandwiches.

Oh and happy 4 decades of not dying.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Goober Peas posted:

Also, someone turns 40 today :toot:

:toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

That said, I grew up on Post Raisin Bran mixed with Crispix (well, Chex before Crispix was a thing). But if I'm going to do a sometimes treat it's going to be either Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or Golden Grahams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nm37gzDnk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I went through about a year of milk/cheese giving me terrible, terrible sulphrous gas and the hot spraying shits. It went away though, and in doing so made me consider the presence of a loving god in this universe once again.

Brb while I attack a wheel of brie with a cheese knife and some salt and pepper.

• Locked thread