Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So how’re the AOT games? They seem like a pretty big departure from Omega Force’s usual formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So how’re the AOT games? They seem like a pretty big departure from Omega Force’s usual formula.

I personally really like the combat in those games.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Remarker posted:

I'm running through Dynasty Warriors 3 as Dian Wei right now. I just spent an hour in Seige of He Fei castle barely holding things together at zero morale as Wu officers kept smashing into our HQ. The tides were slowly starting to turn, but I must have ventured juuuuust enough out of Sima Yi's range for the morale penalty to kick in, because he dropped from full health to dead in like three seconds, and I lost.

Why does the game I love hate me so much

I went back into Siege of He Fei in Dynasty Warriors 3 tonight with a little more of a plan and managed to win this time. It was still touch-and-go for a while there, but I mamaged to pull through and also avoided the awwwwful archer ambush in that level.

Immediately after I started Lu Xun's musou mode. This is my first time ever playing as Lu Xun and he seems really fun so far! Certainly a big contrast with Dian Wei. Hopefully Siege of He Fei is more fun from the opposite side.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Jack Trades posted:

I personally really like the combat in those games.

Just from watching videos, it looked like they nailed "spiderman with swords".

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Just from watching videos, it looked like they nailed "spiderman with swords".
Yuuuuup.
1st AOT musou game felt really good to play. I'm gonna try out the second one. But I can only imagine they improved it.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

AoT2 is the best spiderman game I've played in years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ardryn posted:

AoT2 is the best spiderman game I've played in years.

Basically this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did AOT 2 get a U.K. release? Because I’m not seeing it in the store.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm sure I've had stuff about it in my news feed

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It's out in the Netherlands. But i bought it from the US psn Store. Had 30 bucks lying in the account there and there's a 20% off coupon. so i just bought a 20$ dollar card.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The basic combat loop in the AoT games is really satisfying but that's almost literally all they are. The equipment system is excessively straightforward, there isn't much in the way of side content or upgrading, the plot is just a retread of the anime (the second game changes it slightly to account for you playing as an OC), etc. It's not a bad game but it's definitely extremely straightforward. What you do in your first mission is more or less what you do for the entire game, with very little to change it up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

The basic combat loop in the AoT games is really satisfying but that's almost literally all they are. The equipment system is excessively straightforward, there isn't much in the way of side content or upgrading, the plot is just a retread of the anime (the second game changes it slightly to account for you playing as an OC), etc. It's not a bad game but it's definitely extremely straightforward. What you do in your first mission is more or less what you do for the entire game, with very little to change it up.

You're not wrong but I'm not sure the kind of people who like Warriors games would care about repetitive gameplay.

The actual combat is pretty drat satisfying and personally I haven't watched the anime so I'm quite enjoying the story as well.
Also you can craft big batons that explode when you hit things with them, so that's something.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

You're not wrong but I'm not sure the kind of people who like Warriors games would care about repetitive gameplay.

The actual combat is pretty drat satisfying and personally I haven't watched the anime so I'm quite enjoying the story as well.
Also you can craft big batons that explode when you hit things with them, so that's something.

Mostly it's just that DW games are also about battlefield control and playing as a bunch of characters. While there are multiple characters in AoT they all play pretty much the same with one or two exceptions (Such as Levi being overpowered and Armin being utterly incompetent at fighting but OP at giving orders), and the battlefield control is really basic. I dunno, I like the games well enough but I feel they're another level of repetitive compared to DW as a whole.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Did AOT 2 get a U.K. release? Because I’m not seeing it in the store.

Yup, came out last week or the one before

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Huh, weird. Just can’t see a way to download it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/978980024484184064

for anyone else who bought the season pass

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I haven't even bought the main game, but unless the season pass was $10, I'd be feeling even more ripped off right now, holy poo poo.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm willing to spend a dumb amount of money on Dong Bai.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Takoluka posted:

I'm willing to spend a dumb amount of money on Dong Bai.

Same, but only for Warriors Orochi 4.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"HOOAH JON! FACE ME IF YOU DARE!"

God I love everything craptastic about DW3's acting and pronunciation.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

GOOOOOOOoooooOoOooOooooooOoooOoOOo

YE CHILDREN OF THE YELLOW TURBAN

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
You flaming idiots!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Feel the power of my... maaaagic!

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I've been thinking about jumping from Dynasty Warriors 3 to 4 this week, but legitimately one of the things holding me back is how, uh, incredible the voice acting is in DW3. I've heard 4 makes it a lot less laughable and drat it, I'm not sure that I want that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Remarker posted:

I've been thinking about jumping from Dynasty Warriors 3 to 4 this week, but legitimately one of the things holding me back is how, uh, incredible the voice acting is in DW3. I've heard 4 makes it a lot less laughable and drat it, I'm not sure that I want that.

All you need to know is that DW4 removes Zhao Yun's ponytail, and it's ridiculous.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think it wasn't until 5 when they corrected themselves on the whole "Cow Cow" thing, so there's at least that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think it wasn't until 5 when they corrected themselves on the whole "Cow Cow" thing, so there's at least that.

WO1 is where they fixed it. DW5 still has Cow Cow and Cow Pee.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Cow Pee is a classic, and Cow Cow still makes my preschool age son laugh every time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

WO1 is where they fixed it. DW5 still has Cow Cow and Cow Pee.

Ah, right. Hehe, Cow Pee..

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Remarker posted:

Cow Pee is a classic, and Cow Cow still makes my preschool age son laugh every time.

kaukau is "eat" in hawaiian and as teenagers we derived no end of pleasure from this

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

kaukau is "eat" in hawaiian and as teenagers we derived no end of pleasure from this

I'm gonna tell my son about this next time we play Dynasty Warriors. He'll love it

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe someday they'll even pronounce Liu right, too!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe someday theyll spell zhang jue's name right

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
dw10 will use wade giles

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Dw11 will finally use that insane Anglo-Saxon name change translation.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

I would pay good, good money for a voice pack that does this.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

disjoe posted:

I would pay good, good money for a voice pack that does this.

:yeah:

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

what name change?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So when do you get to switch your character’s uniform in AOT 2? I’ve got scouting missions and the editor in my personal quarters unlocked, but can’t find that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So when do you get to switch your character’s uniform in AOT 2? I’ve got scouting missions and the editor in my personal quarters unlocked, but can’t find that option.

At the start of Chapter 3-ish. That's like 6-10 hours into the game.
The scout cape will be equipped automatically as soon as you unlock the ability to equip it.