Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
:shrug: I tried I don't know what to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ready Player One's fetishized lists of brand names reminds me of another book.

What could it be...

hmmm....

oh yeah! American Psycho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are a billion other threads to talk about RPO, move discussion over to any of those.

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, I don't really believe the 4Chan allegations that he molested/raped a bunch of the female stars of his shows but fetishizing the feet of your underage stars is still creepy as fuuuuuuuck and also maybe illegal?

That said if someone did step forward accusing him of actual physical abuse I wouldn't really be surprised.

Apparently the real problem they have with working with him is that he has an awful temper and blew up at a recent meeting when they told him they were canceling a show and that he was going to have to share some production space.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

There are a billion other threads to talk about RPO, move discussion over to any of those.

Apparently the real problem they have with working with him is that he has an awful temper and blew up at a recent meeting when they told him they were canceling a show and that he was going to have to share some production space.

Well if he's got a real bad temper AND there's rumors that he's a creepoid AND he's got a pretty hard to argue tendency to sexualize teenagers on camera that's probably just a bad recipe you'd want to cut bait with. Like, even if he's never done anything I'd be scared of him getting mad at the rumors and saying something real bad.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I haven't seen mention anywhere of HBO's Barry starring Bill Hader, Stephen Root and Henry Winkler. Loved the pilot which aired a couple of days ago, before Silicon Valley I think. Anyone catch it?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

pahuyuth posted:

I haven't seen mention anywhere of HBO's Barry starring Bill Hader, Stephen Root and Henry Winkler. Loved the pilot which aired a couple of days ago, before Silicon Valley I think. Anyone catch it?

I don't follow shows week to week, but I'm very excited to dig into this once some more is out. Love Hader. I hope Documentary Now doesn't get sidelined if this blows up, though, because that show is amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said if they're doing more? They didn't do a season last year. I assume the big thing about Documentary Now is that it isn't exactly a show they can just crank out and they have to have specific ideas on what they're going to parody.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it strikes me as being extremely labor intensive, from writing to production

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

less laughter posted:

Strike Back has just been renewed for season 7 :toot:

:hellyeah: The new season was real good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nate fisher posted:

The backlash to RP1 is a thousand times worse than the book.

I resisted the audio book because of Will Wheaton. I just finshed it in the last 30 mins, i really enjoyed it and Will Wheaton was probably the beat person yo read it.

The ending was a bit sudden.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:hellyeah: The new season was real good.

Novin's Insta is great she always pos6ing behind the scenes stuff. She can speed strip and assemble a pistol like a badass.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 28, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Sopranos thread fell into the archives, so you guys gotta hear about how it didn't have enough Furio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPgxQkcIVs&t=101s

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the terror is good as hell

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DivisionPost posted:

With all due respect, it's not about what "we" want. It's about the story he wants to tell, and whether or not you want to hear him tell it. If you don't, that's fine and even understandable, but...look, I'm trying not to be contemptuous here, but you list off his projects with such reverence that implies a respect for his talent, an understanding that he seems to know what he's doing. Yet it never occurs to you that this dude, in the winter of his life, might have a reason for wanting to spend three years on this project?

On top of that, I'm not going to pretend he's never made a bad movie (Hook, Crystal Skull, how's it going?). But he's proven, often, that he's still got The Stuff that made all those movies and shows you listed off special, even if his voice has matured quite a bit since then. Yet for all the respect you afford the mind behind those classics, it doesn't occur to you that he might know what he's doing here?

I'm not saying you have to like the movie or even like that it exists; I like the book, but I fully acknowledge that it's all surface-level charm written by a one-trick douchebag creep. But if you're going to carry on about it like this instead of shrug it off, then I'm pretty sure that whatever's going on doesn’t have poo poo to do with Spielberg.

EDIT:

Really? Because of the movies he's directed, I'm seeing only one outright bad one in Crystal Skull. A lot of people will poo poo on AI (I didn't much care for it), but it's got a very passionate following that can make a strong case for its existence. And The Terminal is way too sentimental (and maybe even problematic) for many, but I think it was a great stab at a post 9/11 Frank Capra film.

Don't compare hook to crystal skull

e: this has nothing to do with RPO, I just had to let it be known

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 28, 2018

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

blue squares posted:

the terror is good as hell

Yeah I loved the first 2 episodes.

I just wish there was a way to watch the rest, this release thing sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone vaguely spoil the Terror, the basic teaser isn't enticing me enough.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It's cold as hell, and they're not going to take it any more.

polar bear

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Is it though?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Anyone else watching Good Girls? I'm enjoying it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Slamhound posted:

Anyone else watching Good Girls? I'm enjoying it.

Yeah, me too. I wish it were on cable, though, and not so much of a procedural, but it's been solid so far at what it's trying to do and the main cast is incredible.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching The Terror.

Caesar and Brutus! Sold!

Guessing someone hangs wang in the near future.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I was hoping this movie was good just to piss off the nerds who derail every loving thread in every loving forum for pages and pages of increasing lame attempts to dunk on RP1

Lucky for people who don't base their worldview on contrarianism, it isn't good. If you actually read the "fresh" reviews they're all pretty half-hearted and wishy-washy, as if they're contractually obligated to not give a Spielberg film a thumbs down. It's fresh in the sense that everyone is shrugging and saying that if you want to see it, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Lucky for people who don't base their worldview on contrarianism, it isn't good. If you actually read the "fresh" reviews they're all pretty half-hearted and wishy-washy, as if they're contractually obligated to not give a Spielberg film a thumbs down. It's fresh in the sense that everyone is shrugging and saying that if you want to see it, it's not the worst thing in the world.

if it's half as name droppy as the book, half the people who watch it will probably never have even heard of half the music, let alone all the game stuff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

From the trailers it's clear they updated a lot of the references, I'm curious how much of it will actually hit on 80s and earlier nostalgia, rather than cash in on brand awareness of things popular right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rocksicles posted:

if it's half as name droppy as the book, half the people who watch it will probably never have even heard of half the music, let alone all the game stuff.

Spielberg and obscure don't go together. Plus I'm certain WB mandated a bunch of the references be changed to things they own.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

The subtext of every one I read was "If you turn off your brain it's pretty fun!"

Like, great. I'm glad that exists for the people who are into that. But that sounds like a pretty big waste of my time.

e: literally Latino Review's grade I read this morning was "Grade: B (B+ if you’re willing to just go with things and not overthink it)". I'm not.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 28, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

From the trailers it's clear they updated a lot of the references, I'm curious how much of it will actually hit on 80s and earlier nostalgia, rather than cash in on brand awareness of things popular right now.

In that case, they can suck an ugly dick.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

In that case, they can suck an ugly dick.

Lurdiak posted:

Spielberg and obscure don't go together. Plus I'm certain WB mandated a bunch of the references be changed to things they own.

I'm not happy, i want my MechaGodzilla.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The Roseanne revival was extremely 2018. I didn't hate it though, like I did Will and Grace.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra posted:

Eyes Wide Shut is amazing, though.
Boy, you just like anything, huh?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zutaten posted:

The Roseanne revival was extremely 2018. I didn't hate it though, like I did Will and Grace.

I thought it was pretty funny.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The subtext of every one I read was "If you turn off your brain it's pretty fun!"

Like, great. I'm glad that exists for the people who are into that. But that sounds like a pretty big waste of my time.

e: literally Latino Review's grade I read this morning was "Grade: B (B+ if you’re willing to just go with things and not overthink it)". I'm not.

lol

you post on something awful dot com

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

blue squares posted:

you post on something awful dot com

Oh poo poo, me too! Sup

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Boy, you just like anything, huh?

Eyes Wide Shut is top-tier Kubrick, sorry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI

Seriously though it's a fictional account of Franklin's lost expedition which Simmons exhaustively researched. Before 9/11 turned him into an islamophobic bigot, one of my favorite things about Simmons' writing was how he would weave fantastical elements into strong historical fiction, and the Terror is probably the apotheosis of that.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 28, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI

Seriously though it's a fictional account of Franklin's lost expedition which Simmons exhaustively researched. Before 9/11 turned him into an islamophobic bigot, one of my favorite things about Simmons' writing was how he would weave fantastical elements into strong historical fiction, and the Terror is probably the apotheosis of that.

Awesome, now I'm interested.

Not because of islamaphobia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Terror doesn't have an ounce of that in it so don't worry about it being a problematic fave. I highly highly recommend reading the book.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

You dudes really can’t help yourselves, huh?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zutaten posted:

I didn't hate it, but the jokes about Darlene's boy wearing girls' clothes were cringey and just sad.

I also really could have done without the political poo poo. I don't remember the old show being so explicit about it and it was walking a very thin line to just being too awful to watch.

Then the show is very very deliberate about trying to redeem them somewhat on both of these things though.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

IRQ posted:

I didn't hate it, but the jokes about Darlene's boy wearing girls' clothes were cringey and just sad.

I also really could have done without the political poo poo. I don't remember the old show being so explicit about it and it was walking a very thin line to just being too awful to watch.

Then the show is very very deliberate about trying to redeem them somewhat on both of these things though.

It was extremely weird to me to see Roseanne handle the girl clothes thing extremely well all things considered and Dan, traditionally the more heartfelt and open minded of the two, really stick to his guns on Boys Should Be Boys. Even after he was shown the error of his ways I didn't feel like he learned a lesson.

Also they had to crank Jackie up to 11 to counteract Roseanne's irl Trumpyness which was unpleasant. I hated when Will & Grace did it too. I hope that's out of their system now.

That said I laughed a lot and I'll probably keep watching, especially since it's only 8 episodes apparently and they already aired two in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IRQ posted:

From what I read, the political poo poo is only the first episode and the Darlene's boy stuff doesn't play out as poorly as it looks right now.

e: also, Roseanne got loving massive ratings. 18.2 million people

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2018