Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Looks fantastic! As a lowly sound designer, I can only merely suggest that while almost everything should have it's own sound effect, actual physical reactions should either be a relevant impact / mechanical movement sound, or a mix between a show sound effect AND either an impact or mechanical movement sound.

As a player, you need to have that suspension of disbelief, even if it's subconscious, with regards to how physical things are happening in a virtual space. If every time the paddles were moved, you heard the "douche!" sample and nothing else, that has the very real possibility of ruining fun, as odd as that seems. Save the show-related sounds for more special things that might not happen about as fast as 5 times per second.

Hey now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Looks fantastic! As a lowly sound designer, I can only merely suggest that while almost everything should have it's own sound effect, actual physical reactions should either be a relevant impact / mechanical movement sound, or a mix between a show sound effect AND either an impact or mechanical movement sound.

As a player, you need to have that suspension of disbelief, even if it's subconscious, with regards to how physical things are happening in a virtual space. If every time the paddles were moved, you heard the "douche!" sample and nothing else, that has the very real possibility of ruining fun, as odd as that seems. Save the show-related sounds for more special things that might not happen about as fast as 5 times per second.

Hey now!

So there are actually two layers of sound design built into the table. There are actual, physical FX (ball rolling, flipper hits, drop target hits, round target hits, slingshot hits, etc), and then there are the accompanying overlaid sound effects (douche! hey now! let's gently caress some whores!). So the physical effects are actually built into the engine itself, so when the ball hits a drop target you'll hear the collision sound as well as the click from the drop target actually falling, just like you would on the real deal. That was one of the major improvements to VPX, because Visual Pinball was actually designed for people who build virtual pinball tables in real life cabinets like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8eLRnsyFI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

So there are actually two layers of sound design built into the table. There are actual, physical FX (ball rolling, flipper hits, drop target hits, round target hits, slingshot hits, etc), and then there are the accompanying overlaid sound effects (douche! hey now! let's gently caress some whores!). So the physical effects are actually built into the engine itself, so when the ball hits a drop target you'll hear the collision sound as well as the click from the drop target actually falling, just like you would on the real deal. That was one of the major improvements to VPX, because Visual Pinball was actually designed for people who build virtual pinball tables in real life cabinets like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB8eLRnsyFI

Ah, beautiful. I hadn't seen your video of the game in a while, so I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't already doing that, more like 'please keep this in consideration going forward :ohdear:'. Glad to hear that the engine/editor itself takes care of this :toot:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
It's about 100 lines of code I didn't have to write myself, and I love it. I did have to make some minor changes just to make sure bumpers weren't using the same exact sound effect, prevents the experience from sounding too sterile. But that was just a matter of doing some basic editing of the sounds that come with the engine.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Might I suggest when hitting 900, 9000, 90,000 or 9,000,000 points that Gary says "Noine". That and a kickout hole that cycles through Fred drops while it holds the ball. And the sound of Howard dropping all the tapes on his first day on air when the ball finally goes down the drain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13j28rR6oQg&t=22s

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I like Howard's comment today that Imus looks like the sheriff of a leper colony.

ButtPoopPoopyyGoku3
Aug 10, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Sal's wife not letting him cum on her is so bizarre. It's not just because it's Sal, she also has a germaphobe issue but goddamn it's just so intensely weird because that same smegma-covered dick is inside her during the sex anyway.

If that was my wife I'd blow a load on her face and throw the divorce papers on top. gently caress ever being married to someone who is physically repulsed by you.

Could you elaborate further on this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

baba booey

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Former Human posted:

I like Howard's comment today that Imus looks like the sheriff of a leper colony.

He looks like either one of the zombie cowboys from House II: the Second Story.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Our two hearts will...prove them wrong. You two.....being the them.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Alright buddy take care

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Fa fa fo fo

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Our two hearts will...prove them wrong. You two.....being the them.

The rose is a symbol that symbolizes my love for you

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Daddy's girl's been a bad girl

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I now have friends who have never listened to a single show saying "baba booey" to punctuate their sentences

BB will live forevermore

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Roseanne sounded so old and confused in her interview, forgetting people's names and generally not making much sense.

No wonder she's a Trump supporter :smug:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Former Human posted:

Roseanne sounded so old and confused in her interview, forgetting people's names and generally not making much sense.

No wonder she's a Trump supporter :smug:

Listen to her Marc Maron interview. I don't think she's all there mentally.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Listen to her Marc Maron interview. I don't think she's all there mentally.

I don't think she's been "all there" for many years.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't think she's been "all there" for many years.

Yeah. Someone reminded me of her one of her HBO specials from when she was married to Tom Arnold where they are both pawing at Sandra Bernhard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hong Kong Phooie

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, Howard is getting as bad as his mom when it comes to tech stuff... It's scary when Bababooey is the voice of reason.

Gary made a great point: Howard is terrified of Alexa, and yet he thinks Facebook data collection is fine?

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Maybe he has a shitload of facebook stock or something

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
That's actually a really strong point, how did Howard deflect that?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Odddzy posted:

That's actually a really strong point, how did Howard deflect that?

Poorly.

Pretty much any time Gary chimes in with a "Well, the whole office is saying...", he is trying to help prevent Howard from saying something stupid, but usually that just pisses Howard off and makes him double down on whatever he said.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looked at the episodes this week

Roseanne and Geraldo

:whitewater:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

euphronius posted:

Roseanne and Geraldo

Yep, two days wasted on boring right-wing apologists. Geraldo sticking his neck out for all the conservative sexual abusers like Trump, Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, and some other people like Matt Lauer, was really douchey and Howard barely pushed back on it.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

Looked at the episodes this week

Roseanne and Geraldo

:whitewater:

The new faces of 1993

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I've heard the interview several times but never really paid attention to this comment before.

quote:

In an interview with Howard Stern in the mid-’90s, the radio host asked him about a character in the comic book anthology the cartoonist was then promoting. Stern called Sody Pop “a hot chick with big cans and nice legs.” Kricfalusi responded with a smile: “She’s underage, too.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PheypE68BKc&t=2902s

https://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/john-kricfalusi-ren-stimpy-underage-sexual-abuse?utm_term=.at8BQrozA#.oh6MvXk3p

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Howard's mom called in to the show for the first time in five years!!!

... and it was a letdown. She told a rambling story. Howard was finally able to get some funny out of it, but it took a lot of work. I doubt that they will ever let her on the air again.

His megaphone parents are much funnier. :smith:

Wow, the John K story just gets worse and worse as time goes on.
I don't recall that comment, either.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Former Human posted:

Yep, two days wasted on boring right-wing apologists. Geraldo sticking his neck out for all the conservative sexual abusers like Trump, Roger Ailes, Bill O'Reilly, and some other people like Matt Lauer, was really douchey and Howard barely pushed back on it.

With Roseanne she mostly avoided politics, she is just an awful interview. Geraldo was a walking contradiction (and very douchey) with on-air charisma. I would have been much more interested in just hearing his stories about being a "celebrity" decades ago. In the segment afterwards, Howard and Robin pretty much called out that he was full of poo poo and quickly moved on.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Banjo-Kazooie.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Roseanne
Geraldo

We don't call to book people on the show. They call us
~ Gary "Baba Booey" Dell'abate

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Says a lot about the state of the show then because in recent months I think you can count on one hand the number of "big name" interviews they've had versus what it was like 3-4 years ago where it was an endless stream of guests.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Bonzo posted:

Jason and Will are deemed associate producers for this reason, by the way.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

fa fa flo high

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Gary Dell'abate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gary Dell Abate

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Robert "Bob" A. Booey

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

Robert "Bob" A. Booey

Dat's a good vahn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Gary Dell Abie-show...