Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Astroduck posted:

Are the minor recruitable npc names completely random? The first dude I found is literally called Jim Jones.

gently caress yes. I'm going to keep getting new followers until I have three dudes called Jim Jones. We'll then defeat the evil cult together and then we'll celebrate with some Flavor-Ade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can put a suppressor on my M60. I'm not really a gun dude - that's ludicrous, right?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone else having the game go into an infinite load about half the time you go shopping? I've had to go to the dash and close it like 10 or 11 times already.

On PS4.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I can put a suppressor on my M60. I'm not really a gun dude - that's ludicrous, right?

It's like any other 7.62 caliber weapon being suppressed. It is just that the sheer volume would melt the suppressor eventually. And it would lack options for mounting the suppressor in the default configuration.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The Lone Badger posted:

You can put a suppressor on anything, really. It might not make it whisper quiet, but it'll probably do something.

So you know that a firearm works by forcing the projectile forward with high-pressure gas, right? The way a suppressor works is it allows the gas to escape the end of the barrel somewhat less than "all at once", so it's a much less harsh pressure spike hitting the air. Human ears interpret a pressure difference as noise, so the less sharp that pressure spike is, the less noise we perceive. At least, I think that's how it works.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
To me the most annoying part of the capture teams is that you cannot win. They'll just keep coming and if you get hit once you're knocked out. It wouldn't be as bad if they were occasional open world events that you could escape or defeat.

If you're going to make them unwinnable why even set them up that way? Just have it occur as part of a required story mission.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Getright downlo posted:

To me the most annoying part of the capture teams is that you cannot win. They'll just keep coming and if you get hit once you're knocked out. It wouldn't be as bad if they were occasional open world events that you could escape or defeat.

If you're going to make them unwinnable why even set them up that way? Just have it occur as part of a required story mission.

I was surprised that I managed to evade a team. I mean I know they'll eventually get to me (and I'll get them out of the way) but it wasn't as much of a flipped switch as I was afraid of, with all of the backlash against them.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

haldolium posted:

Love how you wrote it.

Yet this is the most boring and common poo poo "open world games AI" throws onto you for... well, forever. Sometimes despwaning things. GTA III in 2001 showed the exact same behaviour already.

:iiam: how this is still fun to people since it's just ultra boring behaviour with no regard for the circumstances that shows the worst of AI.

I dunno, I had a session where my partner electrocuted himself by accident following me in a stash puzzle. 20secs later im getting out of the stash with a flame thrower and the response from the church came and parked outside. This resulted in flames everywhere and a panicked regular joe just trying to leave town with sinner spray painted on the side crashes into a zealot tractor. Its all exploding with others getting caught up in the nonsense, a grateful rescued civilian promptly gets her face eaten by some kind of mad badger. I never laughed that much in gta5.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

They're wolverines and if they get close enough to you they latch onto your pecker.

Keeps happening to me.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Morter posted:

I was surprised that I managed to evade a team. I mean I know they'll eventually get to me (and I'll get them out of the way) but it wasn't as much of a flipped switch as I was afraid of, with all of the backlash against them.

That's just the 'bliss bullets'. A goon discord story was standing in a room with the one door rigged with explosives and being slapped with Jacob's flavour of unavoidable cutscenes like lightning from a clear sky.

My plot anecdote was gooba stomping melee cultists with a helicopter before being hassled into a time trial for no reason other than mandatory plot attendance. It's force-fed hack writing and the reward is the occasional loss of your weapons and ammo at the end of the sequence.

Let me crush unwashed hooligans into paste with unsuitable avionics equipment in peace.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

numptyboy posted:

I dunno, I had a session where my partner electrocuted himself by accident following me in a stash puzzle. 20secs later im getting out of the stash with a flame thrower and the response from the church came and parked outside. This resulted in flames everywhere and a panicked regular joe just trying to leave town with sinner spray painted on the side crashes into a zealot tractor. Its all exploding with others getting caught up in the nonsense, a grateful rescued civilian promptly gets her face eaten by some kind of mad badger. I never laughed that much in gta5.

this is exactly the same AI from 17 years ago whats your problem

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Astroduck posted:

Are the minor recruitable npc names completely random? The first dude I found is literally called Jim Jones.

I thought it was just generic randomization but I ran into this and now i'm a bit worried.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Delacroix posted:

It's force-fed hack writing and the reward is the occasional loss of your weapons and ammo at the end of the sequence.

100%, but lovely writing is mostly expected these days and it's mostly tolerable. The most egregious part about this poo poo is that it has such a terrible effect on the gameplay and pacing of the game. You're just getting into the swing of things and enjoying yourself and all of a sudden you're doped up and forced to listen to the relentless droning of a one-dimensional character in a cliche "weird" environment. And all the poo poo they're saying is poo poo they said in the last tedious cutscene of theirs you were forced into, if not just repeating themselves from earlier in the SAME cutscene. It's so boring.

It's weird that these are triggered by raising your resistance, too. That should be exciting. I can't wait to unlock new weapons and skills with that progression, but your reward before being able to browse the new goodies is being abducted, bored half to death by 8th grade writing trying to mimic "trippy" movies from 15 years ago and then waking up on a bed for the Nth time.

I've gone on about it a bunch in this thread I know, but can't think of another game whose cutscenes get on my nerves as much as this one. It wouldn't bother me that much if the game was just garbage, but the good parts are really good which makes the story more frustrating for me.

It's weird that a AAA game is focusing on a topic you never see in games, but somehow makes everything seem so unoriginal and bland.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wasn’t going to get FC5 but after seeing you could play as a chick with a bow and realizing that I’m rich decided to give it a spin. That ended up with me playing for about five hours straight before I went to bed. I skipped FC4 and Primal and I’m glad that I did so that I could enjoy liberating outposts from comically stupid humans before getting eaten by vicious unkillable badgers. The first thing I did was get the cat companion and the other chick with a bow and now we’re all friends slaying the patriarchy together.

The game runs impressively well on my system, I was expecting somewhere in the 45fps range @ 1440p with my i5 and 980ti but in the benchmark I’m hitting 57fps average with everything on ultra, sometimes much higher in game. It’s very pretty with an interesting setting and GREAT music. I’m annoyed by the Koopa Kids yanking me out of the open world every 30 minutes to monologue at me and I hope to kill them soon so that I can stop playing these dumb dream sequences. So far I give it 3.5 Aloys out of five.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Those capture teams are good. They managed to kidnap me from the cockpit of a single-seater plane.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr Scumbag posted:

100%, but lovely writing is mostly expected these days and it's mostly tolerable. The most egregious part about this poo poo is that it has such a terrible effect on the gameplay and pacing of the game. You're just getting into the swing of things and enjoying yourself and all of a sudden you're doped up and forced to listen to the relentless droning of a one-dimensional character in a cliche "weird" environment. And all the poo poo they're saying is poo poo they said in the last tedious cutscene of theirs you were forced into, if not just repeating themselves from earlier in the SAME cutscene. It's so boring.

It's weird that these are triggered by raising your resistance, too. That should be exciting. I can't wait to unlock new weapons and skills with that progression, but your reward before being able to browse the new goodies is being abducted, bored half to death by 8th grade writing trying to mimic "trippy" movies from 15 years ago and then waking up on a bed for the Nth time.

I've gone on about it a bunch in this thread I know, but can't think of another game whose cutscenes get on my nerves as much as this one. It wouldn't bother me that much if the game was just garbage, but the good parts are really good which makes the story more frustrating for me.

It's weird that a AAA game is focusing on a topic you never see in games, but somehow makes everything seem so unoriginal and bland.

Yeah, it shoves cutscenes and these characters in particular in your face a lot. Being kind of a nondescript generically homicidal cult is one thing if there's not much in cutscenes and the story's skippable/all in logs but when the writing is there, in your face, it makes their lack of anything going on kinda suck.

It would've been gauche to just say these were big time maga men or klansmen, but actually looking at the real cults like the davidians, aryan nations, rajneeshis, bundys they had a lot more going on than this, and it could absolutely have given these characters something other than their generic I'M KUHRAZY DON'T YOU GET IT spiel. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that offensive to have a cult that resembles other past cults that have collected arms and occupied lands.

I mean, poo poo, it's kinda freaky when you see the purple clad cops with uzis patrolling a compound of people who worshipped the energy of an old indian guru, that's the kind of poo poo that would totally have fit far cry to a T. Maybe not copy that exactly, but you could be a lot less generic than what we got.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I mean, poo poo, it's kinda freaky when you see the purple clad cops with uzis patrolling a compound of people who worshipped the energy of an old indian guru, that's the kind of poo poo that would totally have fit far cry to a T. Maybe not copy that exactly, but you could be a lot less generic than what we got.

I'm not one who's interested in debating politics in this thread but it IS kind of stupid that they decided to go with such a controversial subject only to play it so safe to the point of blandness and cliche.

It's totally understandable why they'd want to avoid alienating a lot of potential buyers but at that point, just go with a different subject that is a little more inherently "safe" and allow yourself to have some fun with it. Instead, this game feels like it's written by a committee of writers of various faiths and ethnicities (geddit?) that have written and re-written everything so many times that they lost all perspective and everything turned out totally unoriginal and flavorless.

I was thinking that maybe they went with the cult thing for the free advertising that controversy brings, but Ubisoft doesn't need that with their budgets.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the next Far Cry game is poking fun at dream sequences much as this game rips on climbing towers. They need to disappear entirely.

Ubisoft created the most beautiful and detailed world yet for a Far Cry game (and maybe of any game save a few) and all of the really pivotal scenes I've seen/played through rip you out of that would and dump you in a generic dream or altered reality sequence. It's loving baffling to me.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 28, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

having now played this for a couple of hours the gameplay is quite good but everything else is pretty bad. the cult is just bland and does nothing for me and the story is dumb. moment-to-moment the game is great though, the gunplay is nice and the movement feels like an improvement over previous games. so the core gameplay loop is solid for the moment, and definitely overshadows the extremely weak worldbuilding. also being able to play as a dude with a straight-up dirt mullet is incredible and all games need this hairstyle

i am still laughing over the idea that the us government would send 4 dudes to try and take down a dangerous cult with guns and drugs, tho

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Serf posted:

i am still laughing over the idea that the us government would send 4 dudes to try and take down a dangerous cult with guns and drugs, tho

This seems like something the current US government would actually do. "Well we tried to stop the gun hoarding nutjob group who happens to drum up widespread support for this administration, what more do you want?"

I know I said I didn't want to talk about politics in this thread but I couldn't resist.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I ended up playing last night til like 3am. The game is good, but it is not without its problems!

The biggest frustration I'm having is certain nigh-unkillable enemies that can just soak up ridiculous amounts of damage. They have a shield icon and have some body armor of a sort. Explosives work on them if you're in a position where you can do so, but it generally takes a couple hits with that. With anything else (discounting armor-piercing ammo) you're barely going to be able to kill them. I put about 15-20 point blank shotgun blasts into one and he wouldn't die. Magdumped a rifle a few times into one and he wouldn't die. And sometimes they're in an area where explosives aren't viable because it would hit you too. It's a jarring difference to all the other enemies in the game, and I think it needs to be balanced a little bit. A bunch of times I've just died to them because I ran out of ammo and explosives since they tend to show up towards the end of large scripted firefights, often ones where you went in with (or were forced to have) a weapon set that didn't have armor-piercing ammo, which admittedly works a little better. I think they could have them maybe sponge up 1/2 of the bullets they currently can sponge up and still fulfill their role and be a challenge. Right now they're just obnoxious.

Enemy accuracy in general is a bit ridiculous. Most enemies seem to have incredible accuracy and it can get frustrating when you just get trapped behind cover with no way to flank in missions where you can't have companions. Enemy helicopters in particular are ridiculous lasers of death sometimes. All enemies seem unaffected by environmental visibility-limiting things such as smoke, steam, fog, foliage (except for sneaking) so they'll have no trouble hitting you when you couldn't see them at all unless you'd previously tagged them. This was particularly annoying towards the end of the final mission for John.

Other times however none of what I wrote above seems to be the case. I'll have no trouble with shield-icon guys, and I'll be able to pop a helicopter out of the sky without getting hit once. It could be that there's a hidden enemy level for certain areas/missions, I guess. I mostly haven't ventured out of the South so far and finished that particular lieutenant, which I beelined because I wanted to carry a 4th weapon. I also freely admit that I am not as good at video games as I used to be.

Despite those complaints, the game is still a ton of fun. Even when I die repeatedly, I'm not losing progress, so it's not nearly as frustrating as it could be. I'm enjoying the general mayhem and ludicrous organic random poo poo that happens, similar to the roadblock someone described above.

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 28, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Got to play for a few hours last night.

Best thing: the second bullet I fired in the entire game got me 2 headshots with a single shot. I know people were complaining about ballistics, but if I can fire a bullet through two heads the ballistics are working fine.

Worst thing: Umm my dog won't get in the back of my pickup truck?? Also I'm seriously missing the knife :(

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Eer2935.gifv

im a militia

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my parents have a bunch of wild turkeys that show up in their yard all the time. they are very chill birds. while I wouldn't pick a fight with one, they don't pick fights either and it seems kind of strange that they turned it into a deadly aggressive beast in this game. multiple times I've rescued hostages, gotten distracted for a few seconds, then turned around to see the hostage has been killed by a turkey. I know these games are supposed to be silly but in the past ones the dangerous animals were at least based on actually dangerous animals

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Cany anybody tell me how to cancel a mission?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Earwicker posted:

my parents have a bunch of wild turkeys that show up in their yard all the time. they are very chill birds. while I wouldn't pick a fight with one, they don't pick fights either and it seems kind of strange that they turned it into a deadly aggressive beast in this game. multiple times I've rescued hostages, gotten distracted for a few seconds, then turned around to see the hostage has been killed by a turkey. I know these games are supposed to be silly but in the past ones the dangerous animals were at least based on actually dangerous animals

There's a trail I run on that often has lots of wild turkeys hanging around and lemme tell you, those motherfuckers are fast. Could beat me in a sprint any day of the week. Not very aggressive birds though, unlike rear end in a top hat canada geese.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man if they had Geese do what the hawks did in FC4 that would own so much

The true Cliff Racer comin down to honk at you

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shut up blegum posted:

It's called an undercut hth

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm too dumb for this game. How do you trigger remote explosives?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

There's a trail I run on that often has lots of wild turkeys hanging around and lemme tell you, those motherfuckers are fast. Could beat me in a sprint any day of the week. Not very aggressive birds though, unlike rear end in a top hat canada geese.

The town I'm from made national news when the mail-carriers had to start carrying umbrellas and walking sticks to defend themselves from Turkey attacks.

They can be super territorial.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm too dumb for this game. How do you trigger remote explosives?

middle click again. I learned this by trying to set two remote explosives on 1 truck :(

Poor Boomer.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
my dog decided to commit suicide but luckily a petting brought it back

https://i.imgur.com/UZ9fzai.gifv

not my fault that I saw a deer and wanted to chase it with the truck

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
After quitting the game, it stays running in Steam until I force close Steam itself. Anyone know how to fix this?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

After quitting the game, it stays running in Steam until I force close Steam itself. Anyone know how to fix this?

Task manager > End Task for the game's process.

It's likely that this might have something to do with UPlay, so check that too.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Getright downlo posted:

Hell, I was standing up on a bigass radio tower when John sent one after me. No enemies showed up or anything. I got the "A hunting party is coming" a few times, then it just switched to the cut scene.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game. Story is decent enough as window dressing on my house of corpses. It won't win an Emmy or Oscar or whatever, but whatever it's a video game.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Looks like theres a lot less guns and customization for them then Far Cry 4 which is a real bummer.

Also, I definitely agree that they need to nerf the respawn rate of enemies in cars and the roadside prisoner events. Its pretty much non-stop.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So what are the best perks to get first? Grapple and parachute are obvious since they’re only 1 point a pop but after those I got another weapon slot, which also seems mandatory. Should I go for more health next or just grind out the last weapon slot before that? The “ more money for skins and stuff” also seems like something you want ASAP.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

warburg posted:

Looks like theres a lot less guns and customization for them then Far Cry 4 which is a real bummer.

Also, I definitely agree that they need to nerf the respawn rate of enemies in cars and the roadside prisoner events. Its pretty much non-stop.

Yea, if you're going to set a game in the U.S it should have the most guns of any game in the series, and I should be able to deck them out with laser sights and multiple flashlight colors.

Also come on Ubisoft gimme night vision goggles for some night jigglin'

Tumble fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 28, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Turtlicious posted:

middle click again. I learned this by trying to set two remote explosives on 1 truck :(

Poor Boomer.
Yeah, seems you can't detonate them when they drop to the ground.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Mr Scumbag posted:

Task manager > End Task for the game's process.

It's likely that this might have something to do with UPlay, so check that too.

I should have mentioned I tried the task manager, but it doesn't show up as a running task. However, completely exiting Uplay did fix it so thanks for that tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So what are the best perks to get first? Grapple and parachute are obvious since they’re only 1 point a pop but after those I got another weapon slot, which also seems mandatory. Should I go for more health next or just grind out the last weapon slot before that? The “ more money for skins and stuff” also seems like something you want ASAP.

I found the best perks to be reeeeaaalllyy commonsense. Just grab the holster and second companion, fast crouch move, chain takedown, and quieter run/walk.

Pretty much everything else, take as you think it would be useful. I've beaten one area so far with no health upgrades (playing on normal) and I still don't feel the need to get them. Holding off because I'm worried it will take the challenge out of the game.

For useless upgrades, the only one I got that seems really ineffectual is the "more damage to vehicles" thing. Even using armor piercers, it's not convenient enough to make me just not switch to explosives to destroy vehicles so I'd say skip that.