Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

outposts are how you grow your territory now, and they cost an influence amount, instead of reducing monthly influence. You even have to drop them before colonizing. they upgrade into defensive structures or military ship production depending on what you choose to build/upgrade

hyperlanes only now

:eyepop:
i haven't played Stellaris in a while but i was thinking of getting back into it. but hyperlanes only is unacceptable, is there mods to fix this? if not, what version was the last one before they removed the alternative FTL types?

what a bunch of dingleberries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't played Witcher 3 because I use a keyboard and mouse and my tolerance for running a third-person view on the character I'm playing has decreased over time. If I had a controller I might reconsider, but as it is I just have no patience for the awkward control poo poo that often ends up happening in third-person games.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
i haven't played Stellaris in a while but i was thinking of getting back into it. but hyperlanes only is unacceptable, is there mods to fix this? if not, what version was the last one before they removed the alternative FTL types?

what a bunch of dingleberries!

i loving hated hyperlanes but weirdly, i'm loving fine with it now. I dunno, it took all of about a minute of mental acceptance.

the thing is, there are about 2x as many map generation options as pre-2.0, including raising the number of links between systems, you can set it so high that the galaxy is basically a honeycomb of linked systems and it's basically warp.

but really, since everyone is on hyperlanes, and i'm not at a strategic disadvantage against a warp-player or wormhole thing, if i take it, it's fine.

it's really quite good. pre-2.0 stellaris was excellent but 2.0 is an improvement even when it steps on your toes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

i loving hated hyperlanes but weirdly, i'm loving fine with it now. I dunno, it took all of about a minute of mental acceptance.

the thing is, there are about 2x as many map generation options as pre-2.0, including raising the number of links between systems, you can set it so high that the galaxy is basically a honeycomb of linked systems and it's basically warp.

but really, since everyone is on hyperlanes, and i'm not at a strategic disadvantage against a warp-player or wormhole thing, if i take it, it's fine.

it's really quite good. pre-2.0 stellaris was excellent but 2.0 is an improvement even when it steps on your toes.

i don't care about dumb multiplayer balance. i liked stellaris as a singleplayer galactic exploration and politics simulator. taking out different FTL types really hurts one of the things that makes Stellaris unique. different AIs having different FTL types makes for very complex strategic situations

but from the patch notes they don't seem to have added much after the removal of FTL types so I can just stick with version 1.9 and i'll be good to go!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i feel the same, i think multiplayer sucks except for an occasional comp stomp. 2.0 is worth trying man. roll back if you hate it, but try it first. like, honestly try it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
but if i want to play warp lanes only i can just set all the empires to warp lanes and get that same experience in 1.9. what does 2.0 add thats actually good?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really like how they've reworked basically everything having to do with combat and expansion

just try it man. worst case is you have to roll back later.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mandrel posted:

i redboxed it and this seems 100% accurate. it honestly feels like 99% of the FPS games i've played in the past few years despite ever increasing production values just straight up aren't good or fun to play. like their mechanics are poo poo and it's not actually fun. it's like everything is designed to give the impression of fun but nobody remembers to actually make it fun to do the very basic things which is shoot people with a gun

titanfall 2 is the one major exception. it's extremely fun to shoot people in that game

edit: and doom

Bad Company 2 was the last good multiplayer FPS

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Bad Company 2 was the last good multiplayer FPS

that would be true in a world without Titanfall 2

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bc2 was a gem, but pubg is a good multiplayer fps

all of the main battlefield games have been terrible clusterfucks tbh. which reminds me, overwatch is loving terrible

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

battlefield 3 multiplayer has some of the absolute worst map design i've ever seen anywhere

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrPossum posted:

i played for a few hours and it just felt so creepy to be in some polish dude's power fantasy that i was just grossed out
You're not wrong, I'm saying that up-front, but this is one case where "read the books" helps to contextualize what the devs are going for. You don't have to read them to "get it," I'm just saying it makes things easier.

Like, the opening tutorial section at the castle is a scene lifted near-verbatim save some inconsistencies that the game itself calls out immediately after the tutorial ends as the main character idealizing the past with his own hang-ups. That is a good microcosm of how The Witcher world works-- traditional power fantasy stuff, you notice the cracks, the cracks pull back and you see how rundown and sad things really are. The games have a really hard time shaking the "you are a badass monster hunter" gloss because it's not trying to be Silent Hill, but both it and the books are ultimately about deflating the romance from the entire concept. That's why everyone praises the sidequests and DLC where the writers focus on that raison d'etre over the tethers of narrative propulsion.

Now the books aren't some genius revolutionary concept--The Sandman comic series in the 90s was a contemporary of the books and has a very similar thematic ethos--but for all the creep factor poo poo like the nudie trading cards there is a reason why the Polish people are proud enough of the franchise to give Obama copies as a gift.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AutumnDDP posted:

The New Super Mario Bros games are mediocre platformers at best. They're actually probably a little below average tbh; this is coming from someone who's played perhaps thousands of 2D platformers. I played NSMB1, NSMB2, and NSMBWii. The fact that so many professional reviewers rate these game highly has created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for me.

The NSMB team was where Nintendo would send new hires as a way to show them the ropes. Once a game was done most of the people would graduate to work on other projects as needed. At some point the team got upgraded to a proper one and got some more veterans to lead. The first title they made was Spaltoon. In other words it's very unlikely the Switch will see a NSMB and I'm glad of it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Current day game reviewers grew up with Nintendo so that's why they generally shatter their kneecaps to get down and give Mario games sloppy blowjobs. They can remember playing Mario after Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That's why things like NSMB and Mario Odyssey are considered fantastic games. They remind people of Super Mario/Mario 64.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 28, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Current day game reviewers grew up with Nintendo so that's why they generally shatter their kneecaps to get down and give Mario games sloppy blowjobs. They can remember playing Mario after Rescue Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and things like NSMB are pretty close in appearance.

That generation is pretty old now for game reviewers isn’t it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the best Wolfenstein and the new ones are boring

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That generation is pretty old now for game reviewers isn’t it

They've been releasing the same poo poo for so long it's just different games but the same concept depending on how old you are.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mario odyssey is really good, not the second coming of gaming jesus or anything, but some people seem hellbent on making sure that everyone knows that they did not have fun with this game that sold millions of copies and is nearly universally praised

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
That's what makes my opinion unpopular. A five hour collectathon that an infant could beat is just boring and 99% of the people universally praising it are instead praising the company that makes it while remembering M.

It's weird how so many valorious knights can not withstand yon game companies honor being besmirched. "It sold millions of copies! A lot of people like it!"

So? it's a lovely boring game. 62 million people voted for Trump. A lot of people like garbage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

counterpoint: it's not, it's fun, and you're VQL

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't really give a gently caress about Nintendo's honor, but if you really think all the Mario Odyssey praise is from nostalgia then you're an idiot, not paying close-enough attention, or being contrarian for its own sake. You don't need to like it, but if you really can't see the appeal while comparing the game to the voting base that put a reality television trust fund washout into the White House.... yeah you're probably just being a turd for the sake of being a turd. Yeah it's a children's game. It also happens to be really dynamic, colorful, and charming in a way most commercial art only dreams of.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
You are right, I'm sorry. Your five hour long game for small children transcends art itself. Nintendo and Mario are the line and shall not be besmirched. Got it.

Dragon's Age is the most boring series of games that has ever existed and the first one should have bankrupted Bioware.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the best Wolfenstein and the new ones are boring

yeah new Wolfenstien is not good. I don't get the appeal when there are way better shooters out there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

I don't really give a gently caress about Nintendo's honor, but if you really think all the Mario Odyssey praise is from nostalgia then you're an idiot, not paying close-enough attention, or being contrarian for its own sake. You don't need to like it, but if you really can't see the appeal while comparing the game to the voting base that put a reality television trust fund washout into the White House.... yeah you're probably just being a turd for the sake of being a turd. Yeah it's a children's game. It also happens to be really dynamic, colorful, and charming in a way most commercial art only dreams of.

Mario is trash for trash children. :smug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You are right, I'm sorry. Your five hour long game for small children transcends art itself. Nintendo and Mario are the line and shall not be besmirched. Got it.

steinrokkan posted:

Mario is trash for trash children. :smug:
Sorry about your broken brains.

veni veni veni posted:

yeah new Wolfenstien is not good. I don't get the appeal when there are way better shooters out there.
100% marketing. Every few years publishers pretend to "bring back" arena-style FPS design and act like they rediscovered french toast, but Wolfenstein succeeded because they included all the boring slow-moving "press F to watch a cutscene of you pulling a door open every thirty seconds" crap that seems to sell because it's more realistic or w/e. Plus the second one has that alt-history thing and teenage boys loving love that poo poo, see also Bioshock and Watchmen.

---------

Super Metroid's control scheme sucks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Sorry about your broken brains.

Mario is for boys - Sonic is for men.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
*sneers pcmasteraceishly*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Mario is for boys - Sonic is for men.
If you're a man without a little boy inside you, are you really a man at all?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

mind the walrus posted:

And thus the Catholic church, the longest running MOBA was invented.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW7xy4-TQhs

e:

also I feel like Sleeping Dogs has the best soundtrack selection of any game I've played but I have no idea if that's an unpopular videogame opinion. maybe?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

AATrek parachute spotted

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 28, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

And thus the Catholic church, the longest running MOBA was invented.
lol

AATrek parachute spotted
No, no, he was a man inside of a lot of little boys. It's like the difference between an elephant and a sexual predator.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

that would be true in a world without Titanfall 2

:thunk:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jeza posted:

also I feel like Sleeping Dogs has the best soundtrack selection of any game I've played but I have no idea if that's an unpopular videogame opinion. maybe?

It comes close, but Saints Row 2 had the best soundtrack of any game.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dragon's Age is the most boring series of games that has ever existed and the first one should have bankrupted Bioware.

:chloe:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I can certainly see how 2 and 3 could colour your opinion of the series. The first DA was pretty good for the time though imo.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The first DA was sorta boring and generic but at least it had the cool system where the spells itneracted with each other

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Earwicker posted:

The first new Wolfenstein was definitely boring, I haven't played the new one made by antifa developers yet

Also yes, Dragon Age 1 actually sucks out loud. It's a loving terrible game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

mind the walrus posted:

Super Metroid's control scheme sucks.

So did that of super punch out, but fortunately both games allowed you to change it to something more sensible.

I’ve never played another platformer that had shoot on X and jump on A, except on Xbox where they swapped the letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DA1 is an RPG with:

- 100% opaque game design that makes it very easy to create a character who either can't complete the game or trounces all over it.

- Really dull WoW-style cooldown combat that has aged terribly

- Several sections that are dumb to do the first time and a complete loving slog after that, with mods to skip one entirely.

- A complete letdown of a climax

- An assortment of extremely annoying characters that are defined by their sexuality, from effeminate templar to bi elf to permiscuous witch

Like a lot of Bioware stuff, the game has aged like poo poo and didn't live up to the hype when it was brand new.

For that matter I think the only Mass Effect with any staying power was 2. ME1 was overrated tripe right out of the gate.