Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

Also at that time a ton of ATMs didn't do touchscreen lol, you used the side buttons and the keypad! There were some touchscreen ATMs about but the majority were physical buttons only.

I live in the middle of nowhere Kansas and one of our banks still has an atm like this! I like to use it now and again since it takes me right down memory lane. Why, if I try hard enough to can even remember when people used to use that big sliding machine that went cha-chunk! to take imprints of credit cards for receipts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere Kansas and one of our banks still has an atm like this! I like to use it now and again since it takes me right down memory lane. Why, if I try hard enough to can even remember when people used to use that big sliding machine that went cha-chunk! to take imprints of credit cards for receipts.

I had a JFK airport cab driver pull out one of those imprint sliders in the last five years or so. Blew my mind; hadn't seen one since the mid-90s in Kansas as well.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Honestly I think the vast majority of ATMs I use are side-button based. Granted I live in Wales, so basically the back of beyond, but at the same time if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Never seen something that takes an impression of a card, though.

Train ticket buying things are generally touch-screen though, possibly because they're a newer concept.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

fishmech posted:

And that's how several different methods of "DVD that only plays a little while" came to be, including DIVX and the several "dye that blocks the laser eventually" discs. And all of that poo poo died out for good when people started switching to streaming, or at least had Redboxes all over the place so it was much easier to return.

Seems like this concept died the second it came out, even before streaming or Redbox was ever a thing.

The wikipedia article about Flexplay fees like a list of "no one wanted this poo poo".

quote:

Test marketing of EZ-D discs began on August 2003 but was canceled early when consumers rejected the concept

Owing to fears of cannibalizing DVD sales, movies were made available on eZ-D between 2 months and several years after being released on DVD and were priced at US$6.99, both factors that significantly limited consumer demand.

The Disney organization announced in 2003 that it would issue some releases on Flexplay ez-D discs. Discs were test-marketed in Austin, Texas. One grocery chain dropped the discs in February, 2004, saying "It didn't turn out to be an item that our customers were looking for."

In June 2008, Flexplay announced that Staples would be selling Flexplay discs in their retail stores. A few months later, Staples cleared out their stock of Flexplay discs for 99 cents each and has not stocked any more since. As of July 2013 Flexplay's website is no longer online.

You'd think just a couple of focus group tests would have given enough warning that this thing was doomed, yet some bonehead execs decide to release it anyway to predictable results.

I didn't hear about DIVX until long after it was dead, and that was because there was a popular PC media player with the same name. I think I was searching for the media player and kept finding these articles talking about the format.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Speaking of Blockbuster, here's a quite poignant image:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Speaking of Blockbuster, here's a quite poignant image:

:wal: Looks like there's a late fee on outdated business models!
:stat: OH HO HO HO HO HO HO

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 28, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's the end of late fees forever.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Original_Z posted:

I didn't hear about DIVX until long after it was dead, and that was because there was a popular PC media player with the same name. I think I was searching for the media player and kept finding these articles talking about the format.
As you may have guessed, the media player was named after the disc format. "This closed format that locks you out of media is stupid. Let's name our hacked video codec that we can use for pirating movies after it."

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Jethro posted:

As you may have guessed, the media player was named after the disc format. "This closed format that locks you out of media is stupid. Let's name our hacked video codec that we can use for pirating movies after it."

If I'm remembering correctly DivX was always the commercial codec, the open source piracy form was XviD.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Whoops

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

If I'm remembering correctly DivX was always the commercial codec, the open source piracy form was XviD.

Goes like this:
DIVX disc format: 1998
"DivX ;)" video format based on modified MPEG 4: 1999, made by some guy and basically for piracy
Divx company and commercialized redone format (because original method was wildly breaking some IP laws being stolen from Microsoft documentation): ~2001-2002
XviD clone of commercial format/player: also 2001/2002 or so

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Yeah the codec was DivX;) with the winking smiley.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah read police blotters from very suburban, very white neighborhoods. It's simultaneously hilarious, depressing, and infuriating.

One of the craziest I read was about somebody calling the police repeatedly because the same black guy walked past their house every day at like 4:45 a.m. or something. It was pretty early in the day. The guy was accused of casing the joint and the caller was worried about being robbed. The police eventually talked to the guy.

Turns out he was just walking to work every day.
There was an article in a local paper written by a local farmer, wherein he said that he no longer rents other plots of land to farm, because being constantly reported to the police for Existing While Black was too much of a hassle. This is a very liberal city, and he made a point of saying that it was probably mostly people who consider themselves tolerant liberals who were doing this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Halloween Jack posted:

There was an article in a local paper written by a local farmer, wherein he said that he no longer rents other plots of land to farm, because being constantly reported to the police for Existing While Black was too much of a hassle. This is a very liberal city, and he made a point of saying that it was probably mostly people who consider themselves tolerant liberals who were doing this.

What was he doing? He'd rent random plots of land to farm and in his travels from plot to plot he'd get a lot of run-ins with police as locals would call about some strange man they'd never seen messing about in the field no it's not because he's black it's because he was a stranger and better safe than sorry you know there's been a lot of farm equipment thefts lately...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

Not much of a city if it's got a bunch of land all over to farm on.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I saw one of those within the last six months and I was just astounded.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So I had to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago and the reader was down. I had to actually pay with paper. Paper! I almost forgot what those green pieces of funny paper with dead dudes on it were for.

But then after I handed the nice lady the one paper she gave me back other papers with smaller numbers on them and these funny little metal discs. I get that the papers are worth less than the one I handed here but what are the discs for? I've never seen a DVD player that small so it can't just be free movies or information about the script or something like that.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Seems kinda weird that Sears spiked up ~45% in the last week or so because Eddie "LOLbertarian douchebag" Lampert gave a freaking interview.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Seems kinda weird that Sears spiked up ~45% in the last week or so because Eddie "LOLbertarian douchebag" Lampert gave a freaking interview.

The market has never been rational.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Inescapable Duck posted:

The market loving loves lolbertarian douchebags, and will only take a step back briefly after repeated reality checks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So I had to get a prescription filled a few weeks ago and the reader was down. I had to actually pay with paper. Paper! I almost forgot what those green pieces of funny paper with dead dudes on it were for.

But then after I handed the nice lady the one paper she gave me back other papers with smaller numbers on them and these funny little metal discs. I get that the papers are worth less than the one I handed here but what are the discs for? I've never seen a DVD player that small so it can't just be free movies or information about the script or something like that.

Please don’t try being funny any more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My first economics professor was a retired hospital manager who sounded like Lawrence Tierney, and like the first thing he taught us was "The market is emotional."

Baronjutter posted:

What was he doing? He'd rent random plots of land to farm and in his travels from plot to plot he'd get a lot of run-ins with police as locals would call about some strange man they'd never seen messing about in the field no it's not because he's black it's because he was a stranger and better safe than sorry you know there's been a lot of farm equipment thefts lately...
Do you think leasing farmland is a rare and esoteric practice?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Horseshoe theory posted:

the stock market has no basis in reality

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Halloween Jack posted:

It is if you're black :heritage:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it is in a "city" as was originally posted, yes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, and for the folks expressing incredulity at something you can Google:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fishmech posted:

Oh is this one of those times where you take the claim of “city” at face value and don’t write 1000 words about what does and doesn’t constitute a city?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Oh is this one of those times where you take the claim of “city” at face value and don’t write 1000 words about what does and doesn’t constitute a city?

Let's just throw out the oldest adage this thread gets from me again, is Yellowknife a city, and is it rural?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Playstation 4 posted:

Let's just throw out the oldest adage this thread gets from me again, is Yellowknife a city, and is it rural?

I live in a “city” of 2000 people - surely municipalities can choose to self identify as whatever they want in the 21st century!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the stock market has no basis in reality

Alternatively Lampert and friends bought up shares to drive up the price and create their own dead cat bounce.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MrClintDavis/status/979817175224672258

ToysRUs.com now shut down.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fishmech posted:

Leave the northeast sometime. Most cities in Wisconsin have farm fields dotted throughout.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Also Jersey. Most densely peopled state.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Paul.Power posted:

Honestly I think the vast majority of ATMs I use are side-button based. Granted I live in Wales, so basically the back of beyond, but at the same time if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Never seen something that takes an impression of a card, though.

Train ticket buying things are generally touch-screen though, possibly because they're a newer concept.

I don't think touch screen ATMs ever caught on in the UK, I don't think I've seen one anywhere in the last 15 years in any part of Britain I've visited.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

fishmech posted:

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation and has numerous farmland areas within city limits. Even more if you count the entire metropolitan area. An outlier yes, but it's not unknown.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation and has numerous farmland areas within city limits. Even more if you count the entire metropolitan area. An outlier yes, but it's not unknown.

Phoenix is only the fifth largest if you're going by sq milage, in which case Jacksonville, FL is the biggest city in America and that's absurd.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Phoenix is only the fifth largest if you're going by sq milage, in which case Jacksonville, FL is the biggest city in America and that's absurd.

Nope, by population as well, as hosed up as that seems. 1.6 million. Granted the next largest up (Houston) is 600,000 people larger, but yeah, Phoenix actually has an extremely high population, especially since the carrying capacity is 200,000 at most.

Edit: Seems to have dropped to 6th, trading spots with Philly, as it tends to do. Honestly can't blame people for leaving, it's a terrible city with no prospects for anyone, and I'd leave if I had the means (thanks entire social support network and family deciding to live here).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

Edit: Seems to have dropped to 6th, trading spots with Philly, as it tends to do. Honestly can't blame people for leaving, it's a terrible city with no prospects for anyone, and I'd leave if I had the means (thanks entire social support network and family deciding to live here).

Your quote applies to both cities equally as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm tempted to stop by the soon-to-be-former TRU near me and buy a Lego set, just for old time's sake.