Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Jealous Cow posted:

Holy poo poo everyone go listen to this. Stormy and her lawyer are loving brilliant and are loving Trump 20 different ways.

https://overcast.fm/+HG-XBMeV8
This is good.

loving DeVos... think this was deliberate oversight?

Edit: Tax

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cable Guy posted:

This is good.

She's not that clever.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

I would bet everything I have it was

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cable Guy posted:

Well, I'm sure the fact that DeVos has a ton of friends in the lending industry has nothing to do with it.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Cable Guy posted:

I wouldn't put it past this mountain of madness. I mean a contract it just that, but to enforce them for such unimportant bullshit, on teachers who are already criminally underpaid. If you meet/exceed the teaching requirements for that gargantuan $4000, you aren't exactly burning a debt-hole in America's pocket. It's just so goddamn petty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KickerOfMice posted:

I wouldn't put it past this mountain of madness. I mean a contract it just that, but to enforce them for such unimportant bullshit, on teachers who are already criminally underpaid. If you meet/exceed the teaching requirements for that gargantuan $4000, you aren't exactly burning a debt-hole in America's pocket. It's just so goddamn petty.

This is how private contractors function and make their profits off of administering government benefit programs; they cut benefits everywhere possible, then force those who are denied to jump through a futile "appeal" system that never actually corrects problems.

The giveaway is the "there is an appeal process but nobody ever wins." They implement those processes to wear folks out and prevent them from going to federal court; every additional hurdle they require people to jump is a hurdle that preserves profit. The private corporations administering this know exactly what they're doing. It's like bank fees: the system is designed to reap profits off of incidental trivial mistakes or deliberately created errors; there's no incentive to correct.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 28, 2018

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
The more I learn about the financial workings of our government, the more I want to run around shirtless in the streets screaming about it. :mad:

I know - the shadowrun megacorps, too, but I already hated them. :lofty:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 28, 2018

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Guillotines for everyone

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

KickerOfMice posted:

The more I learn about the financial workings of our government, the more I want to run around shirtless in the streets screaming about it. :mad:

I know - the shadowrun megacorps, too, but I already hated them. :lofty:

A lot of the money problems in government are because we keep letting Pruitt, DeVos and Carson types in.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

Behold a dumb cartoon:

god drat, really reaching for that matryoshka joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*table full of people who broke the law* still nothing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So according to the cartoonist, all those people committed crimes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like the grim detail that the dolls seem to die when opened.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

So according to the cartoonist, all those people committed crimes.

Their guilt wasn't instantly proven at the time they were accused of something so it's just a fishing expedition, no crimes you see. Conspiracy should be easy to prove! *Spends two years investigating a blowjob*

RuanGacho posted:

A lot of the money problems in government are because we keep letting Pruitt, DeVos and Carson types in.

I know, it's just dispiriting.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like the grim detail that the dolls seem to die when opened.

In Russia, even the toys are grim

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
It's really stunning to me how large the blinders are on older conservatives. How do they not see how toxic their brand and their Neo Reagan are to anyone under 35?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

CascadeBeta posted:

It's really stunning to me how large the blinders are on older conservatives. How do they not see how toxic their brand and their Neo Reagan are to anyone under 35?

They're old and don't give a poo poo? Living out the rest of their bitter days while they're on the slow march towards an inexorable death, and making sure that everyone around them is just as miserable as they are.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Opening Arguments podcast is loving fascinating.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

Everyone tries to claim the Reagan mantle but I don’t think Trump can be remotely looked at as a neo-Reagan.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Because they don't know or talk to anyone under 35 except maybe at Christmas or weddings, times when most people want to avoid getting in a big ol knock down drag-out fight over politics and just enjoy themselves.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cable Guy posted:

Sometimes I feel for some of the GRU.... not often, just sometimes.

I feel for them every time they have to check FYAD.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

CascadeBeta posted:

They're convinced all of the young leftists will grow up and get over it someday.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CascadeBeta posted:

The polls are wrong, the people love Trump, young people dont vote and theyll be conservative when they get older.

Its one big bubble of denial and delusion.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

They're convinced they're right and everyone will agree with them eventually.

Same reason anyone holds onto an unpopular ideological position.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol after all of those think pieces, one from Nate himself, on how Trump being up to 42% approval is a concern and Yadaa yadaa a couple more polls came today and now the aggregate on 538 is 40.4.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Think about the reverse. Do you care about how your preferred candidates play to someone above 65? No. Do they care about how their candidates play to under 35? No.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

The polls are wrong, the people love Trump, young people dont vote and theyll be conservative when they get older.

Its one big bubble of denial and delusion.

That and, the internet exists now. Their first view of how much this place isn't a B&W 50's family show, and actually sucks = what's happening? everything has gone to hell!
No, Grampa, take that "Trump that Bitch" sticker off of your truck....

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Vladimir Putin posted:

Think about the reverse. Do you care about how your preferred candidates play to someone above 65? No. Do they care about how their candidates play to under 35? No.

Fair enough. I guess I look at it in a long term way rather than A. More money for us B. gently caress you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

They're convinced all of the young leftists will grow up and get over it someday.

I have heard this unironically from my parents SO many times.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone should grow at least a little bit of their own food, even if it's just some windowsill herbs.

I have a small backyard and still manage to fit: tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, peas, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, gourds, melons, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and like 20 kinds of herbs. There's also some zucca, but I don't think I'm going to eat it..

Anyway, it's incredibly rewarding, puts you in touch with your surroundings, and adds a little (or a lot of) exercise to your day.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Asimov posted:

Remember that the Mule frequently masqueraded as a buffoonish clown in public. This allowed him to gain access to many key people while avoiding suspicion. Magnifico would also perform concerts to mass-indoctrinate his unwitting victims.

Yes, and his stage name was Magnifico Giganticus. Sounds like our orange master.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

AceOfFlames posted:

If you're young and not a liberal, you're heartless, and if you're old and not a conservative, you're brainless.

*says my stupid loving heartless father in law at the yearly family reunion

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vladimir Putin posted:

They're over 65 and not long for the world.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CascadeBeta posted:

People have been saying this for a good 20-30 years now, but the supposed tidal wave of left-leaning folks suddenly taking over from baby boomers on business and government has so far failed to materialize. I wouldn't be holding my breath. Those on the left are going to have to do a whole lot better than to wait for some imagined new generation. I would dare say this imagined new wave of lefties taking over being conjured fancifully in peoples' minds are a factor in the left's enduring complacency. President Trump is a thing that exists, because people didn't go out to vote. Yes the Republicans are doing a stellar job of self-destructing, but it's not enough and it's not a free ride for the Democratic party.

At best you will get what happens in the UK - parties are no longer voted in primarily because of personal ideologies held by individual citizens, but parties get voted out because they didn't do good enough during their time in power.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

Fair enough. I guess I look at it in a long term way rather than A. More money for us B. gently caress you.

You have to consider the younger you are the more you are likely to have serious concerns about the future. Young people haven’t lived most of their lives and the future plays an outsized concern in their minds.

Older people have already lived most of their lives or realize that they are living it for the here and now. To think about the future for an elderly person is to do it through the prism of a person they love who is younger like a child or a grand child.

So concerns about the future play a different role depending on your age. And those specific concerns are also way different for the different age groups.

When people ask if they are concerned about the future ‘brand’ of the party to 65+ they should consider these points.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

AceOfFlames posted:

i heard that a lot too and i have been making more money than both of them combined for years and i still dont believe in trickle down economics

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Hellblazer187 posted:

The Opening Arguments podcast is loving fascinating.
You, sir, are a master of understatement. If the analysis Torrez makes is correct, it's goddam devastating.

Edit: evilweasel-signal

Can we get an opinion?

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 28, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jealous Cow posted:

Holy poo poo everyone go listen to this. Stormy and her lawyer are loving brilliant and are loving Trump 20 different ways.

https://overcast.fm/+HG-XBMeV8

Summary for those of us who don't have a bunch of time to listen to podcasts?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People have been saying this for a good 20-30 years now, but the supposed tidal wave of left-leaning folks suddenly taking over from baby boomers on business and government has so far failed to materialize. I wouldn't be holding my breath. Those on the left are going to have to do a whole lot better than to wait for some imagined new generation. I would dare say this imagined new wave of lefties taking over being conjured fancifully in peoples' minds are a factor in the left's enduring complacency. President Trump is a thing that exists, because people didn't go out to vote. Yes the Republicans are doing a stellar job of self-destructing, but it's not enough and it's not a free ride for the Democratic party.

At best you will get what happens in the UK - parties are no longer voted in primarily because of personal ideologies held by individual citizens, but parties get voted out because they didn't do good enough during their time in power.

You know that the boomers are just now dying off in big numbers, right? People have been saying it was going to happen because they knew it was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone should grow at least a little bit of their own food, even if it's just some windowsill herbs.

I have a small backyard and still manage to fit: tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, peas, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, gourds, melons, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and like 20 kinds of herbs. There's also some zucca, but I don't think I'm going to eat it..

Anyway, it's incredibly rewarding, puts you in touch with your surroundings, and adds a little (or a lot of) exercise to your day.

Agreeing with this. My current porch is too small but I have one of these indoors and it's awesome: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d=1MOSYKLVTZ1UQ

(not mine, mine has three pod spots and is smaller)

• Locked thread