Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

eyebeem posted:

Talking to the people on the internet is so loving annoying.

I KNOW OMG SHUT UP

The internet-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't know how well Duckworth would survive a general, considering there's a lot of dirt that could be dug up about her time as an admin at the VA. I could see the right wing hate machine spinning up a "Duckworth hates our vets" machine that will never ever shut the gently caress up.

Oh lordy I would like to see them try. I've never seen someone bludgeoned with a carbon fiber leg.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Violator posted:

I was surprised when people earlier in the thread said her lawyer was scummy, because everything he's doing seems super smart for my layman's perspective.

People tend to view plaintiff attorneys that to on tv / appear in the media a lot to be scummy. They tend to think they’re in the news a lot because they have bad facts / bad law and are trying to win in the court of public opinion instead of in a real court

Same thing happened with the woman lawyer that was involved in the Roy Moore case

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I don't want to be the Cassandra here, but it doesn't matter if they're lefties or not, the only question that matters is if they're going to inherit, no matter how 'modest', assets from their parents....or...if they're 'made' it financially to enough of an extent that they're comfortable.

Both of those groups can and will be bought. This is why Occupy ultimately failed to do anything meaningful.

Any millennial that is in either of those advantageous positions cannot be trusted as an ally of the whole lefty cause. I don't want to say something like that, but I seeing it play out as true. Given the opportunity people will regress to what they know. They will do what they've been trained to do and what they've been trained to do is live in this diseased box that we're all living in...where there are clear paths to prevailing 'righteousness' in the system.

They do not want change. Change is terrifying, change has a chance of putting them on the outs. They want a mildly kinder, more equitable status quo, specifically for them or, at least, one in which they automatically thrive in.

They will jump at the chance to live that preordained righteousness in a heartbeat if given the chance...which makes for poor allies.

Again, it's a lovely thing to say...but that's what I've seen so far from our shared allies.

I agree. Put another way is that most people when poor will vote for things that will help themselves. When rich they will vote for things that help themselves.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eyebeem posted:

Talking to the people on the internet is so loving annoying.

I'm 35 and I know what woke means. Good for you for being 32 and knowing what woke means.

I was not making the claim that NOBODY IN THEIR THIRTIES KNOWS THIS WORD.

I think the point is, is that even if Millenials tack to the center somewhat as they age - they're still the most left-leaning generation by a wide margin. Young voters don't vote en masse, they're just too immature to understand the implications of some ephemeral DC policy debate, being left doesn't change that - but in time they will.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I agree. Put another way is that most people when poor will vote for things that will help themselves. When rich they will vote for things that help themselves.

Yeah, at the end of the day, altruism doesn't really exist. People will vote for their own best interest (as they currently understand it) like 99.9% of the time. If their best interest isn't threatened by a progressive policy, they'll be on board. If it is? Ehhhh

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't know how well Duckworth would survive a general, considering there's a lot of dirt that could be dug up about her time as an admin at the VA. I could see the right wing hate machine spinning up a "Duckworth hates our vets" machine that will never ever shut the gently caress up.

They're going to so that anyway. If there's nothing to point to they'll just make poo poo up. We can't look for candidates that the rwm won't blackball because there are none.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Fair enough, my response was overly dickish so my apologies.

While were talking about polls though, here's one that's mostly useless but fun to digest anyways:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/978944289400074241

Do that many people even know who Harris and Gillibrand are?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boon posted:

I think the point is, is that even if Millenials tack to the center somewhat as they age - they're still the most left-leaning generation by a wide margin. Young voters don't vote en masse, they're just too immature to understand the implications of some ephemeral DC policy debate, being left doesn't change that - but in time they will.

My own experience with aging is that I haven't much changed politically, but my priorities have. Stuff I didn't know or care about when I was 20 was important when I was 40. I'm also much more pragmatic, generally through observing what doesn't work.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CascadeBeta posted:

They're going to so that anyway. If there's nothing to point to they'll just make poo poo up. We can't look for candidates that the rwm won't blackball because there are none.

To be fair, she won't stand up for veterans.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

My point was that the very left leaning millenials are just now actually starting to vote, being 18-late 20s, and they are engaged en masse for the first time ever thanks to DJT. The older millenials are left leaning but not to the same degree as the youngsters, but we don't vote either, until now (hopefully).

My daughter and I are both millenials. I'm liberal as hell but her liberalism wipes the floor with mine. She will be able to vote in the next presidential election.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Boon posted:

I think every generation is the most left-leaning, and it's been happening since about 1800. Some progressive things that were absolutely wild back in the day are bare-minimum for a civilized society, like banning slavery, interracial marriage, and votes for women.

We think of the baby boomers as these sluggish regressives, but they were big proponents of things like interracial marriage and the pill back in their day, and although they haven't progressed much since then, even your hideously Trumpist uncle would probably be OK with you marrying a black woman who is using contraception (as long as she was "one of the good ones.")

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably not which is why they're not doing as well. You have 18% undecided with Gillibrand vs 5% with Biden. Note that Trump's vote share doesn't really move.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

I'm also much more pragmatic, generally through observing what doesn't work.

:sludgepal:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

axeil posted:

Probably not which is why they're not doing as well. You have 18% undecided with Gillibrand vs 5% with Biden. Note that Trump's vote share doesn't really move.

With these phone polls all I can picture is the polite pollster going over the potential matchups and the respondent just loudly grunting “TRUMP” over and over again.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

No candidate in the USA in 2018 is perfect and this is not something that will hamstring her overall with dems so i can deal with it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably not, Generic Democrat generally beats Trump by a bigger margin than Gillibrand's in this poll

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/07/trump-polls-2020-democrats-443083

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think every generation is the most left-leaning, and it's been happening since about 1800. Some progressive things that were absolutely wild back in the day are bare-minimum for a civilized society, like banning slavery, interracial marriage, and votes for women.

We think of the baby boomers as these sluggish regressives, but they were big proponents of things like interracial marriage and the pill back in their day, and although they haven't progressed much since then, even your hideously Trumpist uncle would probably be OK with you marrying a black woman who is using contraception (as long as she was "one of the good ones.")

It’s a good point. They protested Vietnam and did a lot of poo poo that was very left in that era.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
There's no reason to hypothesize - Republicans have already used Duckworth's va record against her extensively. It didn't stick.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I would say that Purple Heart band aid lady would undoubtably do the same thing to Duckworth but thankfully she’s dead.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

There's no reason to hypothesize - Republicans have already used Duckworth's va record against her extensively. It didn't stick.

https://twitter.com/dataeditor/status/707300396734267393/photo/1

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Duckworth was born in Bangkok and I'm too smooth-brained to decipher what this means:

quote:

No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States.
So can she run or can't she?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cable Guy posted:

I'm listening again, will edit that post with more transcripts as I come to them. It's pretty damning... specifically compares Trump to Clinton's impeachment.

Ok fair enough I suppose and I'll appreciatively read your summary.

Still, impeaching Trump for the sort of things Clinton got impeached for would be like charging Hitler with traffic violations. There's so much that's publicly known already that it's easy to forget how stupendously criminal Trump has been.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

scuz posted:

Duckworth was born in Bangkok and I'm too smooth-brained to decipher what this means:

She is like McCain

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No candidate in the USA in 2018 is perfect

no poo poo. "voted for very bad thing" isn't "omg she's not perfect!!!" some are better than others and two of the names on that list are better than her.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

scuz posted:

It's the same argument as with Ted Cruz - her father was a US citizen thus she is a US citizen.

That said, that didn't stop anyone from claiming that Obama wasn't legitimate. So, GOP gonna GOP

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

scuz posted:

"natural born citizen" isn't defined in the constitution but most people believe it means "a US citizen at birth." IF her parents were US citizens when she was born, then she's that. Also, there's no way the Supreme Court would boot her from office if they had any way not to, so yes she can run.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/978982300192051200

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Either Biden or Bernie will be the first democratic presidents to die of literally old age in office

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/indivisible410/status/979015683290882048

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boon posted:

To be fair, she won't stand up for veterans.

And uses her disability as a crutch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

John McCain was born in Panama. If one of your parents is a US citizen then you are a citizen, regardless of where you were born.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

And uses her disability as a crutch.

:cripes:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Either Biden or Bernie will be the first democratic presidents to die of literally old age in office

Biden seems the more healthy of the two.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

runing biden, bernie, or warren is a surefire way to loving lose, don't run any 2016 failures who will all be ancient in 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

scuz posted:

She can’t run but she can win the presidency.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

runing biden, bernie, or warren is a surefire way to loving lose, don't run any 2016 failures who will all be ancient in 2020

I have to agree

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

It’s a good point. They protested Vietnam and did a lot of poo poo that was very left in that era.

they really didn't. They protested the prospect of being drafted, if they protested anything at all.

the boomers historical narrative is completely bizarre. If you take the cultural narrative of the 1960s to now, every single one of them went to woodstock, protested the vietnam war, then settled down and "figured things out" while embracing liberalism and traditional values and moving away from "those people" and it's "just the way it is."

There was a huge anti war movement, but there was also a huge right wing backlash against it, and there were a majority of the people not really involved in either side. Your people putting flowers in guns on the national mall didn't just snap and vote for Reagan in 1980.

the vast majority of these Boomers were just like the people today. It's just that every one of them replaced their own mostly boring lives with the plot of forrest gump.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Being worried about the GOP using someone's record against them is a bit silly because the GOP has shown again and again that they will straight up invent things about democratic candidates if that focus groups better.

A more pressing concern should be the potential candidate's skill and ability to make those GOP attacks slide off, and do it in an aggressive manner which will keep democratic voters excited to vote for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Hogan's a dick, but he knows he's outnumbered and will probably timidly sign this. Good.

• Locked thread