Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I used to go to Dam Neck pretty often.

It's not like it's in the middle of nowhere - VA Beach is like 5-10 minutes away (which may actually be bad, Norfolk is the way better city IMO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I thought of all the Navy bases in the Tidewater area, Little Creek was the best to commute to. Loved when we were working from there. As everyone knows, NOB was the worse since a 10 minute difference can have you either at work 45 minutes early or late by 30 minutes. Also, Dam Neck was occasionally weird with gate traffic backed up almost to Gen Booth Blvd.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The cottages at dam neck are very nice and I would stay there again if I ever happened to get trapped there in nonhurricane season.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Is Yorktown NWS still the anal polyp it once was? I went there for pre-dep training in ‘04 for a day or three.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boon posted:

I used to go to Dam Neck pretty often.

It's not like it's in the middle of nowhere - VA Beach is like 5-10 minutes away (which may actually be bad, Norfolk is the way better city IMO)

But it's far enough from anywhere and not physically attached to Oceana which means no one gives any attention to it. This makes it one of the premiere military installations IMHO. It's like Everett if Everett didn't have ships, had a bowling alley, and had waters you could actually swim in. Apparently the gate traffic sucks in the morning though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I stepped on what I thought was the worlds biggest cockroach outside the bowling alley but it turned out to be a really lost crab.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

For lunch, there should be a BBQ food truck that posts up in the affes parking lot, never did try it as usually on there for prt weekends.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

For lunch, there should be a BBQ food truck that posts up in the affes parking lot, never did try it as usually on there for prt weekends.

Buckley in Colorado had a pierogi truck show up a few times. loving fantastic idea.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've been on Dam Neck for 3 years now and can say that as far as coastal Virginia bases go, it's the best one I've had anything to do with. Once you figure out the timing on the front gate, you're golden. I'm out of my front door and at work in about 13 minutes. It's full of students that don't get in your way. The facilities are decent. It has a private beach.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Little creek base is pretty good for traffic compared to NOB.

Camp Allen has some really nice beaches.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Corey had a bar within stumbling distance of the barracks.

Uh....

Yeah that’s about it.

poo poo was garbage.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Lou Takki posted:

Little creek base is pretty good for traffic compared to NOB.

getting punched in the face for no reason is pretty good compared to having your fingernails pried off with bamboo shanks

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
For some reason Damneck was always my favorite base to run on. Maybe its because I went from the furnace of China Lake before and the 8000% humidity of Japan after, but I liked early morning runs there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Othin posted:

For some reason Damneck was always my favorite base to run on. Maybe its because I went from the furnace of China Lake before and the 8000% humidity of Japan after, but I liked early morning runs there.

I once saw a squad of runners at DamNeck in sweats and garbage bags running really late in the evening with someone on a bike yelling at them.

Was very confusing. Guess it could have been marines.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cerekk posted:

getting punched in the face for no reason is pretty good compared to having your fingernails pried off with bamboo shanks

I laughed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cerekk posted:

enlisting is the start of a string of bad choices

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

M_Gargantua posted:

enlisting is the start of a string of bad choices

After five or six bases, you really get to appreciate the little things. NS Jax traffic uses clean fishhooks to rip off your eyelids, but NAS Jax uses rusty ones, for example.

Then you go to an Air Force Base.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Once Hickam and Pearl Harbor became a joint base the only thing separating them was an old (long) fence and pipeline and a little unused guard shack.

One side was an ill-maintained concrete hellscape, the other had lots of vividly green grass and tons of fancy barracks and MWR facilities.

edit: Spot the line

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 30, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well on one side of the line you have a residential area where people live. On the other side you have the industrial side of a naval shipyard. I mean it makes sense that one side would be more welcoming than the other.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well on one side of the line you have a residential area where people live. On the other side you have the industrial side of a naval shipyard. I mean it makes sense that one side would be more welcoming than the other.

San Diego's wet side/dry side looks exactly like that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

San Diego's wet side/dry side looks exactly like that.

Exactly. Of course a shipyard is not going to be friendly and residential looking. An actual comparison would be say Ford Island housing vs Hickam housing and they look quite a bit the same.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The new VA head Trump is trying to appoint, the one they're calling "the President's personal doctor", is actually a Rear Admiral. Is it likely he got there without substantial management experience? (This has nothing to do with whether he's actually competent to run the VA.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They needed an administrator. From all reports that’s not what his specialty is.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

If he gets to a confirmation hearing, I want a Senator to ask if he lied about DJT's weight

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Not really, He’s a medical officer and they start at a high rank and get promoted to oversee other doctors and medical staff. The largest group he’s ever managed I would guess was around 500 staff.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Medical officers do not start off at a high rank generally speaking. There are exceptions of course. It really just comes down to what his assignments were along the way.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The new VA head Trump is trying to appoint, the one they're calling "the President's personal doctor", is actually a Rear Admiral. Is it likely he got there without substantial management experience? (This has nothing to do with whether he's actually competent to run the VA.)

It looks like his largest command was the White House Medical Unit, which has a staff of 25 or so and a (probable) budget of "what do you need?"

e:
other command duties:
det. officer in charge and diving medical officer at Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 8 in Sigonella, Italy ee: 75-ish people? (EODMU 11, not 8)
emergency medicine physician in charge of resuscitative medicine for a forward deployed Surgical Shock Trauma Platoon in Taqaddum, Iraq ee: enough staff to treat 150 patients in 45 days?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 30, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are very few administrators with the background to tackle an institution as big and with as many problems as the VA. This dude is obviously way underqualified

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Was you guys who said to watch out for people who keep a copy of “Who Moved My Cheese”?.

Dudes also has Leadership Secrete of Attila the Hun, How to Confuse the idiots in your Life and Arrogance Rescuing America from the Media elite.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Was you guys who said to watch out for people who keep a copy of “Who Moved My Cheese”?.

Any time that book gets trotted out, someone is in for a bad time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

krispykremessuck posted:

Any time that book gets trotted out, someone is in for a bad time.

Should I read it for amusement?

In other new my NOSC actually prevented me from getting hosed. I had orders for a 179 days in the pipe and they notified me they wouldnt approve them because it would trigger an permanent change of address after 139 days and I would have to pay for my hotel in DC out of pocket for the balance of my time (though my BAH would go up $600 but that's not enough for a room rental im sure). Contacted the unit who wanted me and they did their own research and realized yeah that would gently caress me over so they changed it to 139 days instead. Really the best of endings because I wont miss my whole PNW summer but I'll still get plenty of time in DC.

Thanks NOSC! I'm not use to them actually looking out for me.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Should I read it for amusement?

In other new my NOSC actually prevented me from getting hosed. I had orders for a 179 days in the pipe and they notified me they wouldnt approve them because it would trigger an permanent change of address after 139 days and I would have to pay for my hotel in DC out of pocket for the balance of my time (though my BAH would go up $600 but that's not enough for a room rental im sure). Contacted the unit who wanted me and they did their own research and realized yeah that would gently caress me over so they changed it to 139 days instead. Really the best of endings because I wont miss my whole PNW summer but I'll still get plenty of time in DC.

Thanks NOSC! I'm not use to them actually looking out for me.

For amusement, I guess. Also: it’s a trap.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I read the first few chapters of How to Win Friends and Influence People and it’s nuts how basic some of the advice is, like “if you treat your employees like people instead of berating them they might work harder” yet apparently this book was super influential. I guess a bunch of bosses back in the stone age thought people *liked* being treated like poo poo at work.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

MancXVI posted:

I read the first few chapters of How to Win Friends and Influence People and it’s nuts how basic some of the advice is, like “if you treat your employees like people instead of berating them they might work harder” yet apparently this book was super influential. I guess a bunch of bosses back in the stone age thought people *liked* being treated like poo poo at work.

Still happening to this day!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
military leaders should only be given books for people who need to get out of domestic abuse situations/survivors of abuse, maybe we could stop having a system where only the most battered of housewives decides to stay in

just kidding, we're going to up your workload and scream at you for not knowing how to do this thing that you've been tasked with that we have no idea how to do and provided no guidance on instead

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

just kidding, we're going to up your workload and scream at you for not knowing how to do this thing that you've been tasked with that we have no idea how to do and provided no guidance on instead

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

"Have you completed suicide awareness training?"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

McNally posted:

The master chief walked awkwardly into the hospital room, the combination hat in his hands slowly being turned in circles as he unconsciously showed his nervousness. When he realized what he was doing, he set it on the chair by the door and stepped over to the young petty officer's bed. He took a glance at the notecard in his hand and tried to speak, but his voice caught. He took a breath, cleared his throat, and tried again.

"Hey there, shipmate," he said, forcing a smile onto his face. "I heard you're having a rough time." His eyes moved to the bandages on the sailor's wrists, wrapped all the way up to his elbows. Down the block, not across the street, he thought. drat. He glanced at the notecard again. Words from above. The answers he sought.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MancXVI posted:

My GS boss yelled at me the other day for eating a breakfast sandwich on the clock first thing in the morning.
1) I had checked for open tickets, we had none.
2) He was late because he had to go get his morning latte(it was still in his hand).
3) We were told to wait for him in the morning before leaving the office for independent work.

I ended up almost throwing my sandwich at him but instead just berated him for a while on how lovely a manager he was. He ran off and went to a division meeting and complained about me eating on the clock and being verbally abusive. I started packing my desk but it ended up getting dropped because his boss thought eating food wasn’t something to get worked up about and he shouldnt raise his voice to staff.
I’m still edgy around him. I’m not use to that level of micromanagement.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

McNally posted:

:holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

My GS boss yelled at me the other day for eating a breakfast sandwich on the clock first thing in the morning.
1) I had checked for open tickets, we had none.
2) He was late because he had to go get his morning latte(it was still in his hand).
3) We were told to wait for him in the morning before leaving the office for independent work.

I ended up almost throwing my sandwich at him but instead just berated him for a while on how lovely a manager he was. He ran off and went to a division meeting and complained about me eating on the clock and being verbally abusive. I started packing my desk but it ended up getting dropped because his boss thought eating food wasn’t something to get worked up about and he shouldnt raise his voice to staff.
I’m still edgy around him. I’m not use to that level of micromanagement.

show up to work with photos of his house