Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It works but you have to stand right on top of them which can make it a bit inconvenient most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Oh also if you mean the things on the skills where it says "x4 higgledies" that also has nothing to do with awakening, and you do that by holding down the skill button and sucking the right number of higgledies in.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like how Roland's Circle Slash turns into Cyclone Slash with green higgledies I think?

I'm sure the game explained that to me at some point and I just mashed X through it. Do the higgledies have to be in their "ready to do a thing" stance for me to do it, or can I do that at any time I'm near higgledies?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Like how Roland's Circle Slash turns into Cyclone Slash with green higgledies I think?

I'm sure the game explained that to me at some point and I just mashed X through it. Do the higgledies have to be in their "ready to do a thing" stance for me to do it, or can I do that at any time I'm near higgledies?

Any time you're near the ones with the right color, and there's enough of them summoned.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just did one of the random dungeon bosses at danger lvl 4, it was 23 levels higher than my party average. Could have gone a lot worse of I hadn't gotten a golden ball at about 50% health because that plus spamming Tami's ridiculous arrow rain attack took it down to 0%.
Glad I saved enough balls for a last level down or it would have been danger lvl 5.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

lets hang out posted:

I've never been able to get the sucking in higgeldies thing to work and I'm convinced everyone is just lying about it

I got it to work last night in chapter 3. I waited until they formed a circle and stood in it and held the button for like 5 seconds until the skill icon got a little higgeldy on it. Didn't notice how much more damage it did but it probably was an improvement.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I got it to work last night in chapter 3. I waited until they formed a circle and stood in it and held the button for like 5 seconds until the skill icon got a little higgeldy on it. Didn't notice how much more damage it did but it probably was an improvement.

It's the same as having 100 zing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another question that's probably dumb to ask but I'm really early on: do NPCs with side quests have markers over their heads, or should I get into the habit of talking to everyone like an old JRPG?

Regy Rusty posted:

It's the same as having 100 zing

Oh, is that all it is? I assumed it would be something distinct from that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edit: How did I double-post? :psyduck:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

There’s an achievement for getting a certain number of “higgledy orbs.” Are those just the blue/green ones?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Another question that's probably dumb to ask but I'm really early on: do NPCs with side quests have markers over their heads, or should I get into the habit of talking to everyone like an old JRPG?

The map marks all sidequests. And yeah it's just a way to use your better skills at any time.

There are some well hidden sidequests btw, I found two recruitment quests in obscure locations looooong after I could've got them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

They have star icons on the map

I think you need to suck in higgels to do the strongest versions of spells since they require 8 points

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I know for sure: I really, really want more games that look like Ni no Kuni II. That character model animation is extremely impressive and really nice to look at, even just running around a town or dungeon. God drat it's a nice-looking game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i like the game and i might 100% it but my enjoyment of the game's storyline took a huge nosedive during the hydropolis ending scene and hasn't really recovered since. i really enjoy the animation and the character designs etc though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i like the game and i might 100% it but my enjoyment of the game's storyline took a huge nosedive during the hydropolis ending scene and hasn't really recovered since. i really enjoy the animation and the character designs etc though.

I liked chapter 6 a lot better but at this point the plot is just what I do to recruit more citizens.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Does the game introduce new enemies to fight cuz I just did the water dungeon and I was fighting the same enemies I fought in the canyon, in the plain, and in every cave. I’m about to go to a desert and I’m guessIng I’ll be fighting them there too.

I have a ton o complaints about every facet of this game but I keep playing it so what the flip.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone know if the 500,000 guilder trophy is cumulative or you have to have it all at once?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

The end of the Hydropolis chapter makes no sense at all lmao

I think the idea is that the Queen has the same goal as Evan, to make a kingdom where everyone lives happily ever after, but in order to achieve this she turns the town into a surreal and paranoid place. It didn't hit as hard as it probably was supposed to but I still enjoyed that chapter, good dungeon good bosses and the town had just the right mood.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

an actual dog posted:

I think the idea is that the Queen has the same goal as Evan, to make a kingdom where everyone lives happily ever after, but in order to achieve this she turns the town into a surreal and paranoid place. It didn't hit as hard as it probably was supposed to but I still enjoyed that chapter, good dungeon good bosses and the town had just the right mood.

That's fine but the actual mechanics of what was described was self contradictory and then just waved away. They could've done the same kind of story but cut out all the stuff about time manipulation and I'd have no problem with it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

You're probably not wrong but also I stopped paying attention to the mechanics of things about 30 seconds into the story lol.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

an actual dog posted:

You're probably not wrong but also I stopped paying attention to the mechanics of things about 30 seconds into the story lol.

That was a good move! It was really poorly written and thought out.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 28, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

everything else is good tho I love this game

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Anyone try this game on the PC with a toaster? I haven't upgraded my PC in 6 years because modern PC games never interested me, but now every JRPG is being released on Steam. I'm regretting this decision.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone know if the 500,000 guilder trophy is cumulative or you have to have it all at once?

I just passed 500,000 earned over the course of the game and it didn't pop, so it looks like we'll have to start saving those pennies.

Where can I find the people with Brute Strength and Rover's Eye? And which Higgledy is the extra-cheerful one?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 28, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where do I get a prism spear.

There's a cool lucky gambler lady I want to recruit and she needs one now.
Also is there a model viewer in this game? Showed it to a friend and he remarked on how all the NPC's in town look the same. "Nah I got all the interesting designs in my castle" "Anything cool?" Only for me to realize they're just lil bab chibi things now.

Really Pants posted:

I just passed 500,000 earned over the course of the game and it didn't pop, so it looks like we'll have to start saving those pennies.

Where can I find the people with Brute Strength and Rover's Eye? And which Higgledy is the extra-cheerful one?

Brute Strength guy is in a cave North East from Ding Dong Dell, it's where you have to land the airship

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 28, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also is there a model viewer in this game? Showed it to a friend and he remarked on how all the NPC's in town look the same. "Nah I got all the interesting designs in my castle" "Anything cool?" Only for me to realize they're just lil bab chibi things now.

Brute Strength guy is in a cave North East from Ding Dong Dell, it's where you have to land the airship

Go to the citizen almanac for the character models

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a big mouse mercenary named Raxel in Ding Dong Dell, who'll give you one if you kill 10 tropical fangfish out in the Drylands. They're all level 59-69. You can kill the two that are lowest level and make them respawn by jumping to the nearby trip door.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 29, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks to both of you!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Finished it. Was not quite prepared for what the other boy had to say. Roland still owns.

I'm curious about all these quests that are popping up now. Did I have to see the whole ending to unlock them, or could I have gone back & done them all before fighting the end boss?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

Really Pants posted:

I'm curious about all these quests that are popping up now. Did I have to see the whole ending to unlock them, or could I have gone back & done them all before fighting the end boss?

A lot of quests only unlock when you load into the save it makes after you beat the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm on chapter 9 and gathered all the quests up I could. I then spent my afternoon knocking them out and oh my goood level-5 why are there so many padding sidequests. I've done at least like, 50 that are at my level or higher on suggested and I've only gotten like 3-4 levels from it. I'm still ~3-4 levels lower then the end of chapter 8 boss.

Why is the exp growth so hosed in this game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wendell posted:

Geez, I cannot imagine playing a game I consider to be a 6/10 to 100% completion.

Also, those criticizing this game for feeling cheap clearly haven’t played any other recent JRPGs, such as Tales of Berseria. Which, like, good choice, actually.

What Tales of Berseria is great, and while I like this game it’s much better than this game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There was something about Berseria's combat that just didn't click at all with me, and I don't remember what it was at this point. Might give it another try someday.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Tales games have a pretty low ceiling and don't ever get much further than mediocre.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I do take his point of Berseria feeling cheap as it doesn't have very impressive environment and dungeon design. The combat is incredible though and the writing and story are excellent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Tales games have a pretty low ceiling and don't ever get much further than mediocre.

Berseria and Xilia are pretty good. Berseria is easy but it’s satisfying just how quickly random encounters melt before your onslaught.

Though yeah the environments aren’t great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

There was something about Berseria's combat that just didn't click at all with me, and I don't remember what it was at this point. Might give it another try someday.

For me it was the unending cacophony of SPECIAL ATTACK NAME

Now where is this Faraway Forest Cave, and how do I get in? I can't see it in the actual Faraway Forest. Do I need to clear that dream door first?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 29, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This screw quest is the dumbest most contrived thing

What do I actually give him because none of the poo poo I have looks like a screw and I'm pretty sure I have most materials at this point.

Also just to confirm but someone said I can't complete this tart quest till post game right?

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What do I actually give him because none of the poo poo I have looks like a screw and I'm pretty sure I have most materials at this point.

It's one of the buttons, for some reason. I'd guess it'd be a grey looking one like the belly button.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also just to confirm but someone said I can't complete this tart quest till post game right?

It's the bully button. It looks like the head of a screw, you see. And yeah, you only get the recipe for the rosehip tart in a post game quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I do take his point of Berseria feeling cheap as it doesn't have very impressive environment and dungeon design. The combat is incredible though and the writing and story are excellent.

It’s not just that it doesn’t have impressive design, but also that it constantly, CONSTANTLY, makes you backtrack through these areas as filler. Ni No Kuni says, “go ahead, teleport wherever whenever.” And we’ll just have to disagree on the writing and story for Berseria.

• Locked thread