Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's not discount the fact that they might have actually been djinn in disguise. 9 times out of 10 it's a djinn in disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
So the cult NXIVM / DOS is probably done for, thank fuckin' God.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ffe469734d31

This was a "self help" group (which also had some pyramid-scheme stuff built into its recruiting structure, because hey, why limit yourself to just ONE kind of evil?) that required the (young, thin) women who joined to provide blackmail material for their leader Keith Raniere to unleash to the world if they ever got any ideas about escaping. There's a rumor that Raniere also branded these girls by their pubic area with a soldering iron.

For some reason though, the freakiest thing to me is that he kept these women on an 800-some-odd calorie a day diet, because he liked his brainwashing victims to stay trim. I'm at a calorie deficit if I eat twice that, and I'm pretty slim!

Anyway I'm cooking breakfast so I can't get as detailed with this as I'd like, but let's all hope that these women turn out okay, because usually cult members and especially sexual abuse survivors don't have a great prognosis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/nyregion/nxivm-women-branded-albany.html

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Veterans get tossed aside pretty much routinely. You better have come out of your service with no injuries or permanent emotional trauma or else you're proper hosed the rest of your life and all you'll get for it is a couple drinks bought for you on Veteran's Day and boarding an airplane early.

Also the military has had a nasty habit during Iraq of looking at people with PTSD and/or traumatic brain injuries, diagnosing them with pre-existing personality disorders, and bouncing them out with a dishonorable discharge.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Depressio111117 posted:

This was a "self help" group (which also had some pyramid-scheme stuff built into its recruiting structure, because hey, why limit yourself to just ONE kind of evil?) that required the (young, thin) women who joined to provide blackmail material for their leader Keith Raniere to unleash to the world if they ever got any ideas about escaping. There's a rumor that Raniere also branded these girls by their pubic area with a soldering iron.

For some reason though, the freakiest thing to me is that he kept these women on an 800-some-odd calorie a day diet, because he liked his brainwashing victims to stay trim. I'm at a calorie deficit if I eat twice that, and I'm pretty slim!

Anyway I'm cooking breakfast so I can't get as detailed with this as I'd like, but let's all hope that these women turn out okay, because usually cult members and especially sexual abuse survivors don't have a great prognosis.

I remember wondering whatever happened to the actress who played Chloe on Smallville, because I remember having a TV crush on her. Evidently she was some high ranking person in that cult.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I mean this does lessen my sympathy for them a little bit.

It was essentially them being ordered to fire on hostile crowds in both cases and they were terrified teenagers who are traumatized for life because of it, I find it kind of hard to hold it against them

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think the thread in general does not know these people or their stories or what happened so it's probably best to not derail into judgments of them.

Depressio111117 posted:

Premium content

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Depends on how you quantify "civilians". There's cases where soldiers would legitimately have to open fire on people who they wouldn't identify as soldiers. A rioting mob is coming towards you and they're clearly not going to invite you to join in - are they civilians or combatants?

What's their race?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Restricted diet is a common aspect of cults so that they are kept weak and disoriented. You should read about what Aum Shinrikyo’s meals were like.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Restricted diet is a common aspect of cults so that they are kept weak and disoriented. You should read about what Aum Shinrikyo’s meals were like.

Ah-ha! We’ll we see what my physician, Dr. “Lard isn’t a breakfast food” Robertson has to say about that!

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yeah, especially protein restriction is a good way to make people nice and suggestible (more info here [I can't finish this video because it gives me the heebie-jeebies too bad] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw). I guess paired with ultra-thin women being this guy's sexual preference it's just extra creepy to me.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Depressio111117 posted:

protein restriction

Oh and this is why Corey Feldman's entourage of vegetarian "angels" troubles me.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Depressio111117 posted:

Yeah, especially protein restriction is a good way to make people nice and suggestible (more info here [I can't finish this video because it gives me the heebie-jeebies too bad] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw). I guess paired with ultra-thin women being this guy's sexual preference it's just extra creepy to me.

Well that explains that one episode of King of the Hill.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Depressio111117 posted:

Oh and this is why Corey Feldman's entourage of vegetarian "angels" troubles me.

This woman used to be an "Angel" so I think that there might be something to your hunch.
https://twitter.com/maramoon1988?lang=en

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Stories about fugue states often cite Hannah Upp, who disappeared for a few days in New York in 2008. Upp had another disappearance, albeit briefer a few years later.

Last year, she went missing again. She hasn't been found.

quote:

Barbara said that after each fugue she felt a kind of “awe at where Hannah had been.” The ancient Greeks had two words for time: kronos, chronological time, and kairos, which is often translated as “the right time” and cannot be measured. Barbara said, “I imagined her as having entered more fully into kairos—the appointed time, the fullness of time. There’s a suspension of certainty.”

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Depressio111117 posted:

I don't know anything about that, but it's perfectly possible to get enough protein and also not eat dead animals if you put just a little effort into it.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Loucks posted:

I don't know anything about that, but it's perfectly possible to get enough protein and also not eat dead animals if you put just a little effort into it.

Sure but most vegetarians are not told to be vegetarians by the guy who makes them sign a contract which stipulates that they must dress in lingerie at all times.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Stories about fugue states often cite Hannah Upp, who disappeared for a few days in New York in 2008. Upp had another disappearance, albeit briefer a few years later.

I'm not normally too incredulous about articles here but every person involved in this story just seems so far up their own rear end with spirituality I can't help but think they're biased. She might have had some undiagnosed mental illness or just some early mid life crisis that caused her to feel like running away from responsibilities (though still wanting to check her email at an Apple store), probably some impulse control issues at least. I can't for a minute make myself think she ever lost any memories.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The ancient greeks seem dumb as gently caress!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm not normally too incredulous about articles here but every person involved in this story just seems so far up their own rear end with spirituality I can't help but think they're biased. She might have had some undiagnosed mental illness or just some early mid life crisis that caused her to feel like running away from responsibilities (though still wanting to check her email at an Apple store), probably some impulse control issues at least. I can't for a minute make myself think she ever lost any memories.

I felt very much the same way, specifically that I absolutely did not buy the "Hannah never had any problems or trauma growing up" line; the story reads that there's a lot of trauma in Hannah's past that her parents are willingly glossing over, ignorant of, or worse. Not putting an ankle bracelet on her after her second fugue state is criminal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There's a real Poisonwood Bible vibe from the dad, who refuses to think there might be any connection with her visits to him and the fugue states. Beyond his other really strange beliefs.

Though it didn't happen every year, all three have happened just before school starting.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I mean this does lessen my sympathy for them a little bit.

I'm not a military buff, but I'm pretty sure ignoring a direct order from your CO generally counts as desertion of some sort. I might be using the wrong term.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm not a military buff, but I'm pretty sure ignoring a direct order from your CO generally counts as desertion of some sort. I might be using the wrong term.

Article 92 - Failure to obey order or regulation.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Okay and I wanna make sure because I hate feeling like an idiot, but would those scenarios count as 'lawful' in the situations that you'd be ordered to gun down hostile civilians?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

If only there was some kind of history defining trial sometime in the mid 20th century that could have adjudicated on the morality of these things. Oh well.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Depressio111117 posted:

Sure but most vegetarians are not told to be vegetarians by the guy who makes them sign a contract which stipulates that they must dress in lingerie at all times.

Yeah, that’s valid. When your diet is dictated by a cult leader all bets are off.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FireWorksWell posted:

Okay and I wanna make sure because I hate feeling like an idiot, but would those scenarios count as 'lawful' in the situations that you'd be ordered to gun down hostile civilians?

Most likely yes. I think people are assuming they were ordered to go into a house and murder anyone inside in cold blood, just based on the reading of the word "civilian", when the truth is likely much more gray.

Think ambush in an environment with civilians. Someone sees shooting coming from a house and is ordered to return fire, which they do. After shooting stops, they go to clear the house and find civilians clearly shot by them.

The order to fire at the house was not unlawful, even if they didn't find a dead shooter inside. They might have slipped away in the confusion, but even if there never was a shooter there, firing into the house would not necessarily be unlawful if the person giving the order genuinely believed there was fire coming from the house.

Obviously, I don't know the specifics of those two folks, but perfectly lawful orders, the kind that not obeying gets a soldier jail time and a dishonorable discharge, can and do result in dead civilians, and that result doesn't retroactively make the order unlawful.

It is really, really lovely, and we absolutely should not be putting soldiers into those situations, but be careful about automatically assigning blame to the soldier.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

For some reason I read this as dress in lasagna and that is a weird image

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

McDragon posted:

For some reason I read this as dress in lasagna and that is a weird image

I'd join a pasta-themed cult

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the church of Garfield

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Azathoth posted:

Most likely yes. I think people are assuming they were ordered to go into a house and murder anyone inside in cold blood, just based on the reading of the word "civilian", when the truth is likely much more gray.

Think ambush in an environment with civilians. Someone sees shooting coming from a house and is ordered to return fire, which they do. After shooting stops, they go to clear the house and find civilians clearly shot by them.

The order to fire at the house was not unlawful, even if they didn't find a dead shooter inside. They might have slipped away in the confusion, but even if there never was a shooter there, firing into the house would not necessarily be unlawful if the person giving the order genuinely believed there was fire coming from the house.

Obviously, I don't know the specifics of those two folks, but perfectly lawful orders, the kind that not obeying gets a soldier jail time and a dishonorable discharge, can and do result in dead civilians, and that result doesn't retroactively make the order unlawful.

It is really, really lovely, and we absolutely should not be putting soldiers into those situations, but be careful about automatically assigning blame to the soldier.

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. You can't really blame soldiers for acting under orders.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. You can't really blame soldiers for acting under orders.

Well... I wouldn't go that far. That didn't work very well as an affirmative defense at Nuremberg.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

FireWorksWell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_30VjNREhAM

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't know about that, present-day soldiers know they're signing up to follow any and all orders. It's not like they're unaware they're going to be asked to do things that will possibly be terrible. Don't want to murder people you may think are innocent? Don't join an army.

E: Then again recruiters are partially to blame for soldiers being unaware of how bad war is. They really sugar-coat everything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Movies make being shot at seem a lot more manageable. My first experience being truly shot at was very much confusion, as I was in my underwear and sleeping, shifting rapidly to getting kicked in the chest with adrenaline once I realized I couldn't shoot back and needed to do poo poo. Time dilation and tunnel vision are very real and I focused on my sensitive item inventories and getting to the rally point.

I was not in direct combat, so I can only imagine how much worse it is for people doing that job. You don't get a lot of time to consider your actions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Proteus Jones posted:

Well... I wouldn't go that far. That didn't work very well as an affirmative defense at Nuremberg.

Although Nuremberg was also pre-Stanford Prison and Milgram

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If only there was some kind of history defining trial sometime in the mid 20th century that could have adjudicated on the morality of these things. Oh well.

Not one the US recognizes anyways.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
So i watched the first episode of The Terror on AMC, it's a whole series about the Franklin Exposition trying and failing to find the Northwest Passage. Does anybody know about this? Are they sticking to the real story or adding in ~supernatural~ stuff?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

JustinMorgan posted:

So i watched the first episode of The Terror on AMC, it's a whole series about the Franklin Exposition trying and failing to find the Northwest Passage. Does anybody know about this? Are they sticking to the real story or adding in ~supernatural~ stuff?

Based on a couple of reviews it sounds like the original novel tried to insert this idea that they were being stalked by something, and the show takes that but also entertains the idea that they’re delusional.

So a lot of the first with a dash of the second?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hint: ghosts aren’t real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hence the expression you havent a ghost of a chance