Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has had them for $250 every few weeks
Yeah I know, I just keep missing the sales when I think of buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Once you got 12.9 pro you don't go back.

:agreed:

I’m able to do about 90% of my job using it.

Most of my non-Office docs/PDF annotation work involves RDP (Jump.app) and SSH (Prompt2) over a VPN. Coupled with a corporate Office 365 account/One Drive I can do everything but write and debug Python scripts.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly get the slick deals app and set up an alert for the iPad. It makes finding the deals much easier

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Aw, I just bought a 9.7" a few months ago. At the time was tossing around the idea of getting a Pro for pencil support, but it ended up being too expensive.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Matt Zerella posted:

My parents have the iPad in question and the screen is absolutely fine. People bitch bout it because there's a small gap on the sides from a certain angle but when I'm on parental tech support and walking them through stuff it's perfectly fine. My 10.5 pros screen is better but it's really not a big deal. If you get a good price on it, go for it.

The iPad 5/2017/Air 3/9.7/whatever is also cheaper to repair than the Air 2 should the screen ever get broken (and you don't go through Apple). They went back to two separate pieces for the glass/digitizer and LCD, as opposed to the fused display on the Air 2 and Pros. It's a much cheaper part.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Endless Mike posted:

Costco has them right now for $280 with $50 back if you buy it with visa checkout.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is it worth getting this 2018 model if you can get that CostCo deal for $230? Like... is the A10 chip going to be so much better that I'll get that many more years of use out of the thing before it is garbage?

I have an iPad 2 and an iPad MIni 1st Gen at home that I never use because they are so drat slow.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Astro7x posted:

Is it worth getting this 2018 model if you can get that CostCo deal for $230? Like... is the A10 chip going to be so much better that I'll get that many more years of use out of the thing before it is garbage?

I have an iPad 2 and an iPad MIni 1st Gen at home that I never use because they are so drat slow.

No. The big feature you will miss from this year's model is the Pencil, not the CPU.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

If you don't need a Pencil then that is probably the cheapest you'll see a brand new iPad running an one generation older processor.

$230 is ridiculously cheap. That's like decent name-brand Android cheap, but not Fire cheap. And it will blow the doors off your old iPads.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you don't need a Pencil then that is probably the cheapest you'll see a brand new iPad running an one generation older processor.

$230 is ridiculously cheap. That's like decent name-brand Android cheap, but not Fire cheap. And it will blow the doors off your old iPads.

It looks like that Costco deal just ran through its whole promotional budget and is dead. Sorry guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't have a Costco membership, anyway, so I'd have to factor the cost of that into it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/978696945353895936

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The new cheap iPad kids want to run Fortnite is here!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Housh posted:

The new cheap iPad kids want to run Fortnite is here!

MS/xbox should get the xbone controller MFI certified. It's got BT, so it could pair but isn't "supported".

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

incoherent posted:

MS/xbox should get the xbone controller MFI certified. It's got BT, so it could pair but isn't "supported".

Microsoft makes a lot of money off Xbox accessories, but something tells me they make even more money when people play on their platform instead of iOS.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I want to buy an iPad to house all the smart home apps I'll end up with as I build out my house with smarthome tech (through homekit for 99% of it). This should let me not clog up my or my wife's phones with 10 different apps that we don't really want/need to maintain. The mini is my ideal tablet for this due to size, but the current Mini 4 is old AND more expensive than the current budget iPad.

How dated is the processor in the Mini 4? I may hunt down a deal on a used one but I also don't want to get left behind in a year or so in terms of iOS updates.

Should I just get the new 9.7" and save myself the hassle?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It works well enough still (typing on one right now) but technically I’d say it’s pretty dated cause the CPU jumps since then. It’s on the A8 which iirc was moderately faster than the A7, while the A9 was a good jump and A10 adds some extra features on top of whatever performance increase there. If the goal is longevity I’d get the new cheap iPad or the one before if you want to save a chunk/find a good deal. There’ll probably be deals on the new one too going by history.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ouhei posted:

So I want to buy an iPad to house all the smart home apps I'll end up with as I build out my house with smarthome tech (through homekit for 99% of it). This should let me not clog up my or my wife's phones with 10 different apps that we don't really want/need to maintain. The mini is my ideal tablet for this due to size, but the current Mini 4 is old AND more expensive than the current budget iPad.

How dated is the processor in the Mini 4? I may hunt down a deal on a used one but I also don't want to get left behind in a year or so in terms of iOS updates.

The 32GB A10 iPad ought to serve you really well. the mini 4 is getting to be pretty old at this point, even if you get it for cheap. In your case a brand new one with 128GB storage is overkill.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Who was looking for the 249 iPad deal? BB is running one

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-5th-generation-with-wifi-32gb-gold/4908600.p?skuId=4908600

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The new cheap iPad has 2 GB of RAM, same as the non-Pro 5th generation.

The iPad Pros all have 4 GB of RAM (so far) to make them pro better with multitasking between six zillion open apps.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
People mention the two-piece (or whatever term) screen vs. the Pros. Is there any difference between the new iPad screen and the screen on an Air (1)?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

People mention the two-piece (or whatever term) screen vs. the Pros. Is there any difference between the new iPad screen and the screen on an Air (1)?

Yes, the iPad Air 1 and 2 had a laminated screen that's better than what's in the new iPad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

AFAIK there's no (or minimal) difference in the quality of the display itself, it's that there's a larger gap between the glass and the display panel than there was on the Air models.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

A lot depends on how you’re using it. If it’s your home hub with HomeKit then you may want “hey Siri” working on it and I don’t think the Mini 4 offers that. Also it kind of depends on whether you’re mounting it someplace and if it’ll always have power connected.

Going to be honest. If you’re trying to just control your home apps and you don’t plan to carry it around, get a cheap 6s or SE and mount it somewhere in range of your voice with a power connection. If you want this for Angry Birds too then get a new cheap iPad 9.7”.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Thanks for the info everyone, I think I'll either get the new cheap iPad or the previous generation one if I find a good deal when I'm ready to start buying stuff in a few weeks. I don't want to mount it anywhere permanent but will probably build a stand of sorts to have a home base for it. We have a 10.5" iPad Pro that my wife uses mostly so I don't really need it to browse the internet or play games. I mainly just figure I'm going to spend $250-330 and I don't want to gimp myself with a lack of OS updates, features (having hey siri on it will be a plus, though the plan is to load scenes onto our phones so we can use hey siri on those too), or with a device that's noticeably slower just because I like the slightly smaller form factor.

Edit:
This is actually a pretty great deal. I might just buy this.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2018

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Torn between getting the BB $250 deal and waiting for the 2018 to hit B&H since its only about a $50 difference with no tax there. Probably leaning waiting for future proofing.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

Torn between getting the BB $250 deal and waiting for the 2018 to hit B&H since its only about a $50 difference with no tax there. Probably leaning waiting for future proofing.

Hmm, that is true...drat taxes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Assuming I can get €175 trade in for my Air2 from Apple, should I get the new iPad for about €200? 🤔

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Assuming I can get €175 trade in for my Air2 from Apple, should I get the new iPad for about €200? 🤔

If you use it, sure. Seems like a good upgrade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy also has all the new 2018 iPads with a $25 gift card if you want a deal on the new one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy also has all the new 2018 iPads with a $25 gift card if you want a deal on the new one.

I just ordered one yesterday. It was only about $70 more than last years model so why not get the faster CPU. I also have an existing $25 rewards card, I'll just buy a case with the eGift card from buying this one.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I have the same question. I have an Air 2 and have not had any issues with it at all. Knowing I could get a $180 trade in and the new one for only $120 plus tax, seems like it would be good future proofing. I have found articles comparing the 2017 ipad to this 2018 ipad but cannot find anything comparing the Air 2 to the 2018. What would be the major difference, just the chip?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

clopping and cumming posted:

I have the same question. I have an Air 2 and have not had any issues with it at all. Knowing I could get a $180 trade in and the new one for only $120 plus tax, seems like it would be good future proofing. I have found articles comparing the 2017 ipad to this 2018 ipad but cannot find anything comparing the Air 2 to the 2018. What would be the major difference, just the chip?

The Air2 has a better screen and it’s quite a bit thinner than the 2017/18. I wouldn’t trade.

Pro is the upgrade path from the Air2. 2018 is a budget model.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

The Air2 has a better screen and it’s quite a bit thinner than the 2017/18. I wouldn’t trade.

Pro is the upgrade path from the Air2. 2018 is a budget model.

Thank you!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I'm sure new iPad would feel faster, but my Air 2 still feels plenty fast (and has plenty of free space), so I'm not feeling an itch to upgrade.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The main reason I want to trade in my Air 2 is that it's a 16gb model, which is painful in 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Everybody here talking about their Air 2s when a 4 suits my needs perfectly for casual Netflix and Hulu usage in the kitchen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok grandma

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a good way to always use my iPad in Landscape mode without having my charging cable at the worst possible angle which will make it fray in no time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ufarn posted:

What's a good way to always use my iPad in Landscape mode without having my charging cable at the worst possible angle which will make it fray in no time?

Buy a fistful of Anker or Amazon Basics cables and embrace the fray.