Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The first reply to Denver truck guy should just be this link: https://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=subaru%20H6&sort=rel

Bonus from someone that lives near and works in Denver: aside from the smallest roads, snow lasts a max of 24 hours, usually even less. We have enough snow that our snowplows are in the ball and keep the main roads drivable all through the storm.

Except for a once in a decade blizzard, you’ll never come close to needing a truck’s clearance and AWD. Most of the time even in the giant storms the small lift on a softroader like an Outback will be plenty. Second bonus: unless you load the back down with sandbags, trucks always fishtail the most out of any vehicle on the road out here. Even more than muscle cars.

Actually, does this thread have a “don’t touch the poop” rule even when it’s sincere advice and not mocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The first reply to Denver truck guy should just be this link: https://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=subaru%20H6&sort=rel

Bonus from someone that lives near and works in Denver: aside from the smallest roads, snow lasts a max of 24 hours, usually even less. We have enough snow that our snowplows are in the ball and keep the main roads drivable all through the storm.

Except for a once in a decade blizzard, you’ll never come close to needing a truck’s clearance and AWD. Most of the time even in the giant storms the small lift on a softroader like an Outback will be plenty. Second bonus: unless you load the back down with sandbags, trucks always fishtail the most out of any vehicle on the road out here. Even more than muscle cars.

Actually, does this thread have a “don’t touch the poop” rule even when it’s sincere advice and not mocking?
But their masculinity is at stake. Can't you see?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a recent immigrant. That’s a common belief among immigrants to CO that you need a truck or big SUV because snow. Meanwhile, according to USA Today the Outback is the single most common vehicle in Colorado.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Most subreddits are basically fine, yes there are a lot of bad ones, but that's because the total number of subs is enormous.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
For hobby or technical stuff it's great, I've spent a lot of time on /r/homeimprovement and programming subs. For anything remotely controversial it's awful because everything is upvoted or downvoted based on how the hive mind feels about it and not based on quality or effort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a recent immigrant. That’s a common belief among immigrants to CO that you need a truck or big SUV because snow. Meanwhile, according to USA Today the Outback is the single most common vehicle in Colorado.

the outback is a truck

DariusLikewise posted:

Trucks are BWM unless you own them as part of a corporation and write down the value every year

trucks are GWM if they are used american half tons that allow you to pick up dope free poo poo

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the outback is a truck

We both know the light truck classification doesn’t actually make it a truck. Don’t do the “well, actually” thing.

Also all of the ones 2012 and earlier were pretty obviously station wagons in hiking boots. It was the 2013s that suddenly decided to be the size of a B9 Tribeca. And the ones I scrolled through on that link were all from the ‘00s. I know you always show up to disagree with me on cars, but you have to admit a mid-2000s H6 Outback with 120k-ish miles is a good choice for someone who needs a reliable vehicle, wants AWD, and is probably going to argue about towing stuff or carrying stuff that wouldn’t fit in a sedan. There was at least one like that for <$6,000, which is still not great for someone making $500 a week, but is a hell of a lot better than a $35k truck. The 3.0 didn’t have the head gasket problems the 2.5 had, and a timing chain means that’s one less thing to fail and ruin the engine.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

trucks are GWM if they are used american half tons that allow you to pick up dope free poo poo

Fuckin' this, I have an $800 Ranger and I use it to pick up Craigslist furniture as well as ~homeownership things~ like hauling concrete away and poo poo rather than paying to have it done. Love that thing.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

For hobby or technical stuff it's great, I've spent a lot of time on /r/homeimprovement and programming subs. For anything remotely controversial it's awful because everything is upvoted or downvoted based on how the hive mind feels about it and not based on quality or effort.

Similar to Something Awful, really. The special interest subforums are generally good, but the stuff like GBS is a dumpster fire.

Same on reddit. Any of the big default front page subreddits tend to be a hot garbage, but there's tons of niche interest subs that are great. Conversely, there's also terrible niche interest subs when that niche interest is bitcoin or jailbait.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We both know the light truck classification doesn’t actually make it a truck. Don’t do the “well, actually” thing.

Also all of the ones 2012 and earlier were pretty obviously station wagons in hiking boots. It was the 2013s that suddenly decided to be the size of a B9 Tribeca. And the ones I scrolled through on that link were all from the ‘00s. I know you always show up to disagree with me on cars, but you have to admit a mid-2000s H6 Outback with 120k-ish miles is a good choice for someone who needs a reliable vehicle, wants AWD, and is probably going to argue about towing stuff or carrying stuff that wouldn’t fit in a sedan. There was at least one like that for <$6,000, which is still not great for someone making $500 a week, but is a hell of a lot better than a $35k truck. The 3.0 didn’t have the head gasket problems the 2.5 had, and a timing chain means that’s one less thing to fail and ruin the engine.

trap sprung car nerd

edit also telling the kind of loving annoying yuppie that drives an outback in MA that they drive a compliance truck that Subaru used to cheat CAFE is always good

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

trap sprung car nerd

edit also telling the kind of loving annoying yuppie that drives an outback in MA that they drive a compliance truck that Subaru used to cheat CAFE is always good

The real car nerd is the one that posts in a thread telling people what cars to buy year in, year out :colbert:

That is funny, actually. My mother drives a ‘13 and my brother a ‘07 Tribeca. I had never thought of it that way.

I know I sound like a Subaru fanboy always mentioning those, but they’re just really practical cars for this area. :shrug:.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
it's me, I'm the BWM

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:rolleyes:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mods?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This but unironically.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think there was any irony intended.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Keep complaining about the derail without adding content and enjoy your fat probes, nerds

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You could have at least made one of the equity values $420.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
lol people don't laugh about 420 anymore!

it's all about 69 and 1488

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i was so ready to sponsor slouch's run for state representative of texas in 4 increments of 420.69

turns out suburban texas peeps are awful but ah well

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Donate your mystical dollar amounts to Lowtax's neck bones so this forum doesn't get sold to Facebook. Yes, it is bad with money but better than buying a horse. I think I have some google play credits I can use if I can figure out how use it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This forum has saved me so much money over the years and helped me get my financial house in order, it would be BWM to not help save it (and fix lowtax's bones).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If we all chip in and donate it'll be like that scene in It's a Wonderful Life but instead of a basket of money it's P-p-p-p-p-powerbooks, Brazilian turds, an unread copy of building codes for Groverhaus, and maybe horse hooves.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Mangosteens. A truck full of mangosteens.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

This forum has saved me so much money over the years and helped me get my financial house in order, it would be BWM to not help save it (and fix lowtax's bones).

Same. These forums probably saved my future. Just sent him some money, it's the least I could do.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Oh my:

I bought my boyfriend a truck that I can’t even drive and we broke up. I haven’t made any payments yet. The dealership won’t take it back. Any advice on what else I can do would be greatly appreciated.....

That’s the entirety of the OP

e:

quote:

It’s a diesel Ford 350 dually. I’m 5’1” and I don’t know anything about diesels. So dumb I know

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 28, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I think this is going to be more something to have compassion for, but I can't help but predict there will be some bad decisions talked about in this sub. Still, I think it will be more sad than funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Based on that thread all I can surmise is that she might think a diesel F350 operates the same way as a big rig.

How do you go from buying a truck for a guy to breaking up with him before the first payment comes due?

I'm gonna guess it isn't just het financial decision making skills that are poor.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Moneyball posted:

I think this is going to be more something to have compassion for, but I can't help but predict there will be some bad decisions talked about in this sub. Still, I think it will be more sad than funny.

quote:

I work as a freelancer in Los Angeles, CA. I am paid via PayPal. I scrape by on rent every month. I have no savings. I have not and plan on not filing my taxes this year. How big of a deal is this? What are the chances of me facing consequences for this, and how severe will they be? Thanks

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

therobit posted:

How do you go from buying a truck for a guy to breaking up with him before the first payment comes due?

Someone cheated. Has to be to end that quickly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jesus, that guy's running the Todd Tax Strategy

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Surprised there are no state laws allowing consumers to return cars within a certain window.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 28, 2018

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Moneyball posted:

There is a thread there about drinking water full of people spending money to drink water. Wtf? What have we humans come to where we only drink water if we have packets of flavoring and fake sugar? Tons of posts advocating special water bottles to buy.

This is povertyfinance, maybe just put some water in a cup?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

Someone cheated. Has to be to end that quickly.

That fancy truck got the attention of some other fine lady no doubt. Cheating on your sugar mama is bad with money.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Switchback posted:

There is a thread there about drinking water full of people spending money to drink water. Wtf? What have we humans come to where we only drink water if we have packets of flavoring and fake sugar? Tons of posts advocating special water bottles to buy.

This is povertyfinance, maybe just put some water in a cup?

Depends on where you live. Feeding your children, say, Flint's lead water, is probably very BWM in the long run.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not a Children posted:

It's also gained a reputation as a leftist forum in general, I think, so that has colored its curb appeal a bit.
This.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

therobit posted:

Based on that thread all I can surmise is that she might think a diesel F350 operates the same way as a big rig.

I'm gonna guess it isn't just het financial decision making skills that are poor.

As you'd expect, it's just a depressing answer

quote:

It’s a Ford and he’s a Ford guy of the alcoholic type. And I’m a sucker. Trade in 2 for 1 and hopefully don’t get screwed much worse than I have!

quote:

Hell no I didn’t buy it trying to keep him. Our plan was to get married. He just likes beer more than me

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

puberty worked me over posted:

Surprised there are no state laws allowing consumers to return cars within a certain window.

There are "buyer remorse" laws in many states that cover a number of different kinds of purchases, and some do cover the purchase of new vehicles, however many states (Texas, for example) exempt those, or allow the dealer to exempt the sale as long as it is clearly stated that is what they are doing. Usually a separate document that gets signed in those cases.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inept posted:

I guess at least she figured it out before they got married, and didn't spend the rest of her life with an alcoholic who probably would have wrecked the truck in a DUI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Inept posted:

Yeah but what changes with someone's drinking in less than one month that before you were gonna marry the guy and were buying him a truck and now you have broken up? Maybe a DUI?