Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Is there a 'non scale' modeling thread? Where cosplayers/film nerds build props?

My line of work has now lead me in that direction and I need some good guides/references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

N17R4M posted:

Is there a 'non scale' modeling thread? Where cosplayers/film nerds build props?

My line of work has now lead me in that direction and I need some good guides/references.

There is a cosplay creation thread, which includes props:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

Theres also the PYF cosplay thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812041

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I assume you know about The RPF as well, right?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

N17R4M posted:

Adam Savages YouTube channel has to be somewhat worthwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl558EoTuEQ

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also please just think of it as 1/1 modelling and post your stuff here too.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Cartoon posted:

Adam Savages YouTube channel has to be somewhat worthwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl558EoTuEQ

It was indeed, I've been binge watching it for the past two weeks, and it's gotten me past the first hurdle of painting a few resin stand-ins.

(click for bigger)

There's the "wood" bits of a previously broken into 4 pieces RPG-7. There's a visible crack still there, but after it was painted up it looked like the wood itself was cracked, so left it there to add to the aged effect. The other two were painted as ones with plastic furniture, so none of that fancy paintwork of faking wood was needed. Just matt and gloss blacks, with some metallic chrome bits.

What I learned: Primers are your friend. Cure times are not.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm to the point of painting my F-14's fuselage/nose. What's the best way to mask off the cockpit & front landing gear bay? I don't have the seats or glass installed in the cockpit yet, so I was thinking Tamiya tape would work fine there, but I don't know if there's a better/easier way to "seal" both the openings as they're already painted.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 35

Finishing up planking of the middle section of the hull, we learn how to cut strips to size so they will fit in gaps. Afterwards all the nails are pulled and the planked section is given a once over with sandpaper to smooth it.

We've reached the 25% landmark in the build, so it's time to have another look at the whole thing put together so far.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

Scharnhorst issue 35

We've reached the 25% landmark in the build, so it's time to have another look at the whole thing put together so far.

Looking good!

It's really strange to see a hull completely planked in just one section like that, when I'm used to doing bands starting at the deck or keel and working my way up or down. I understand doing it differently since the end result of yours is a steel hulled warship whereas mine is a wooden sailing ship where the planking remains visible as being wooden planking, but it's still weird to see it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That a scharn is looking definitely horsted. Great work so far!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm to the point of painting my F-14's fuselage/nose. What's the best way to mask off the cockpit & front landing gear bay? I don't have the seats or glass installed in the cockpit yet, so I was thinking Tamiya tape would work fine there, but I don't know if there's a better/easier way to "seal" both the openings as they're already painted.

tissue or sponge?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr E posted:

I have a trash bag I've been cutting swatches out of for ages to tape over holes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Way to put an ejector pin right in the middle of the (small amout of) detail Italeri, good job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

Also please just think of it as 1/1 modelling and post your stuff here too.

:emptyquote:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ahh, glued perfectly.

*ping*

gently caress!

drat, well, got it glued again.

*PING*

I loving HATE CYANO!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Working thru a poo poo ton of PE on my 1/144 Fletcher DD right now. I feel your pain, brother.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Actual Airfix 1/48th Supermarine Walrus (not a model) (well, obviously a model but you know)

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

CA glue is always an adventure. I just threw away a bottle because the consistency changed overnight and it wouldn’t bond anything—not even my fingers!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Frenz posted:

CA glue is always an adventure. I just threw away a bottle because the consistency changed overnight and it wouldn’t bond anything—not even my fingers!

Is there an agreed upon good CA glue for modelling? I have a small tube of gorilla glue but it feels way too thick for small parts (not that I've dabbled with PE at all yet) Sat down today and almost finished the assembly on this 1/72 Italeri Mc.202 kit and man it is 100% not fun. Almost every part is ill-fitting and left huge gaps. The cockpit windows don't fit right at all and has a huge gap at the back. Going to use it as just a test for filling with putty and painting because I really want to move onto this 1/48 Academy F8F kit that arrived today.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Loctite, occasionally still sold as "Super Attak". It's just the best CA you will get for basically anything.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Zap-a-Gap was my go-to for a while. They've got different viscosities so that's nice. I've got a bottle of Gorilla CA now and it has a brush in the cap which is super helpful.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I buy the cheapest CA I can find from the dollar store. It consistently has faster and better adhesion than brand name CA. On the other hand this means your 2g tube will only be openable for a few hours before the cap dries up. You also need to be really really careful not to glue up yourself. On the other hand 5 tubes of 2 g is like 1 Euro.

Scharnhorst issue 36

We start planking the second section of the hull. Now that we know HOW planking is done, the instructions speed up things a bit and so we lay down about double the amount of strips then we did in the sessions before.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Done the lower hold on the Victory, took a couple shots since a lot this will be hidden once the next deck gets planked in. I decided to blacken up the brass gratings and the shot-locker fixtures, since I felt the bright brass look didn't fit with the natural wood look. Took a few tries though, as it didn't react with the blackening solution at first. Turned out they coated the brass either in some protectant, or plated with another metal. A bit of sanding with the proxxon to take it off, and then back in the blackener did the trick.

I also varied the stain on the wooden grating frames, and left the gratings themselves unstained, to add some color variation to the overall tone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Done the lower hold on the Victory, took a couple shots since a lot this will be hidden once the next deck gets planked in. I decided to blacken up the brass gratings and the shot-locker fixtures, since I felt the bright brass look didn't fit with the natural wood look. Took a few tries though, as it didn't react with the blackening solution at first. Turned out they coated the brass either in some protectant, or plated with another metal. A bit of sanding with the proxxon to take it off, and then back in the blackener did the trick.

Looks good. For future reference, most of the stuff they put on brass can be removed by dipping it in a light acid for a while. White vinegar typically works, and they also make some purpose made chemicals to clean it up prior to blackening. I get my chemicals from a company called "Jax" because after much experimenting by a friend, it was found to be the best and most consistent. They also make blackening for different metals. The "Pewter Black" works really fantastic on brass too, as well as that silverish crap metal that they put in a lot of kits for different fittings.

For cleaning the brass in the vinegar or cleaning chemical, it works best if you put it in the chemical and then work it over lightly with a brush. I use a paint-brush cut off short to make the bristles stiffer. It makes a huge difference whether you brush it while dipped in the cleaner or not when blackening.

My process is... Drop in cleaning solution -> Brush while in the solution -> rinse in distilled water 1 -> dry on paper towels -> rinse in distilled water 2 -> Dry on paper towels and let dry completely.

Blackening - Drop in the blackening agent -> Brush while in the solution. Do not leave in for full black in one pass, just let it go for 30 seconds or so and brush all surfaces - > same rinsing process as the cleaning using 2 containers of distilled water.

Repeat the blackening step until desired color is achieved.

This should turn out a very even and attractive blackened part.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Well done, Hedgehog, that's a lovely stain.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Nailed it :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unkempt posted:

At least your Hi-Mock won a prize for their kit too, by the looks of it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least your Hi-Mock won a prize for their kit too, by the looks of it.

Well he shouldn't have. Look at him, hes still making it! thats not show ready.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Congrats man! That's a great feeling when you win an award for something you've made.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Unkempt posted:

Very well deserved!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Cheers guys. I'd had two silvers in a row with the previous crapbots so this was nice.

Some other stuff from the show:

- random planes

- random tanks

I liked this guy:

72nd scale, pretty crazy

Paper model; the same guy had about half a dozen of these

Highlight for me was a guy who brought a huge collection of 1/87 (HO scale, I think) vehicles of various types -

Mental stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That Cookie Monster is the stuff of loving nightmares :stonk:.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The cookie monster is from Monster Dork Studios. Among his other stuff, he's done a bunch of takes on cartoon characters and kids stuff.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greyhawk posted:

Well done, Hedgehog, that's a lovely stain.

How did you find cutting the mast and pump holes in the decks?

Once you cut some of those holes there are planks that are only supported by other planks on the edges. Even with a good glue it seems a very week joint. I ended up cutting some support planks and gluing them under those sections, and then gave the underside of that whole deck section a generous coating of glue. It's pretty much hidden from site unless you get down low and look up into the pump well, so I thought it was worth it overall.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How did you find cutting the mast and pump holes in the decks?

Once you cut some of those holes there are planks that are only supported by other planks on the edges. Even with a good glue it seems a very week joint. I ended up cutting some support planks and gluing them under those sections, and then gave the underside of that whole deck section a generous coating of glue. It's pretty much hidden from site unless you get down low and look up into the pump well, so I thought it was worth it overall.

I did the very same for at least one section I remember. No one (but a modeling judge) is ever going to look at the underside after all.

Scharnhorst issue 37

Time for an intermission. We get to take a break from the planking marathon to fit a first batch of photo etch to the forward upper deck structures.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anyone know where to get a B-24 Liberator in 1:32 Scale, preferably the Coastal Command type? A thing happened and I really need to build this.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hello!

I recently watched Master and Commander again, and then listened to the unabridged audiobook (which is cool but different), and concluded that my childhood obsession with sailing ships appears to have returned. I was going to spend $200+ to get a vintage LEGO pirate ship on eBay, but then realized that maybe I should actually build a more accurate scale model that I can paint myself.

Having wasted hundreds or thousands of dollars on painted hundreds or thousands of Warhammer miniatures in my time I'm pretty comfortable with attaching pieces of stuff together and painting them, but I feel like my Games Workshop/P3/other acrylic minis paint may not be the best option for painting a sailing ship, especially because it requires priming with primer that can obscure the fine details.

So, assuming that I do want to keep using acrylic paints, what can you recommend for primers that don't risk destroying details, and what paint would you recommend I use on something like this:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-germany-uss-constitution-plastic-model-sailing-ship-kit-1:146-scale-05472

Or should I just suck it up (blow it out) and finally get an airbrush? There's so much fine detail on sailing ships I can't imagine I'd get TOO much use out of it, but...eh. Maybe it's worth it if I want to do more than one of these.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Anyone know where to get a B-24 Liberator in 1:32 Scale, preferably the Coastal Command type? A thing happened and I really need to build this.

Not sure if you are being facetious or not, but no such thing exists... Yet. HobbyBoss just announced a -24D and 24J kit in 1/32 to be released sometime in 2018. I, for one, am pleased by this announcement.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gewehr 43 posted:

Not sure if you are being facetious or not, but no such thing exists... Yet. HobbyBoss just announced a -24D and 24J kit in 1/32 to be released sometime in 2018. I, for one, am pleased by this announcement.

I saw the announcement while I was doing some search but I couldn't find anything info on HobbyBoss on a specific date, and their NA retailer didn't even have a product page or news page for it yet.

And no, I wasn't being facetious. I had a Great- person pass away recently, and he was a nose gunner with 224 Squadron. Not to get too emotional, but without him I don't think I've have near as much a passion for World War 2 and aircraft as I do now. I wanted to build and paint a 1:32 prior to the final goodbye, so to speak.

Anyways, sorry for the extra info, I'll go back to shitposting and hoping the J comes out sooner rather than later :)

Edit: Have some photos from a museum I visited that happened to have a Coastal Command Liberator. It was pretty packed, so I only took a few lovely photos.

Nose Gunner - B-24 Liberator

Mustang

Battle of Britain Buchon

I believe this is a Kittyhawk Mk.III (P-40K) but the museum didn't have any information on it, oddly.

An allegedly fully functional MiG-21

Beaufighter awaiting major reconstruction

Front view of a B-25

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I saw the announcement while I was doing some search but I couldn't find anything info on HobbyBoss on a specific date, and their NA retailer didn't even have a product page or news page for it yet.

And no, I wasn't being facetious. I had a Great- person pass away recently, and he was a nose gunner with 224 Squadron. Not to get too emotional, but without him I don't think I've have near as much a passion for World War 2 and aircraft as I do now. I wanted to build and paint a 1:32 prior to the final goodbye, so to speak.

It's not the scale you asked for, but Eduard recently released this limited edition kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1122478-eduard-2121-riders-in-the-sky-1944

One of the marking options is a B-25 from 224 squadron.