Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks for the rough idea on what to expect. Going beyond that, how does HoI differ? Is it basically just a straight WW2 map painting game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HoI has basically zero politics beyond "you're at war/you're neutral/you're allies" and no civilian economy/trade/development/anything else not directly related to the war effort. It's very much a wargame where the main thing you do is push divisions around and blow poo poo up, with a side serving of managing the war industry and logistics. If you want to fight a world war it's great fun, if you want a more traditional grand strategy it's not.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Bitches better have my figs.

I assume as all anno games are the same people still want figs in 2205

I wonder if Anno 2205 has you travel to different planets to get different goods. "Oh no this is a temperate planet, no spices or dates here so your people can't develop from space citizens to space patricians"

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

GrossMurpel posted:

I wonder if Anno 2205 has you travel to different planets to get different goods. "Oh no this is a temperate planet, no spices or dates here so your people can't develop from space citizens to space patricians"

Sort of, eg there are some resources you can only get from the moon and have to ship back.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gin_Rummy posted:

Thanks for the rough idea on what to expect. Going beyond that, how does HoI differ? Is it basically just a straight WW2 map painting game?
it's a garbage game for idiots To my mind, it's the Paradox title that has the least crossover appeal for fans of the other titles. Like, I'm a big fan of Victoria II and EU4, but I've found some enjoyment in CK2 too. HoI4 though, it was so not my thing that I ended up requesting a refund less than two hours after purchase.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's a garbage game for idiots To my mind, it's the Paradox title that has the least crossover appeal for fans of the other titles. Like, I'm a big fan of Victoria II and EU4, but I've found some enjoyment in CK2 too. HoI4 though, it was so not my thing that I ended up requesting a refund less than two hours after purchase.

It's funny I think I'm the opposite. I got my start with Paradox games playing HOI2 with my college roommates and other than the disaster that is HOI3 it's been my favorite game that isn't named Victoria 2 just because the alternate history you can accomplish is a lot more focused than in EUIV and it's not as zany/frustrating/game-y as CK2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

axeil posted:

It's funny I think I'm the opposite. I got my start with Paradox games playing HOI2 with my college roommates and other than the disaster that is HOI3 it's been my favorite game that isn't named Victoria 2 just because the alternate history you can accomplish is a lot more focused than in EUIV and it's not as zany/frustrating/game-y as CK2.
At least we can all agree that Victoria is the peak of Western civilization.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
V3 is still going to be the best game ever

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zohar posted:

Sort of, eg there are some resources you can only get from the moon and have to ship back.

I played so much Anno venice that I got so mad when I booted up 2070 and found it was pretty much a reskin of it.

I am sure there are differneces but at first blush it felt the same.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

RabidWeasel posted:

V3 is still going to be the best game ever

Victoria 3 is going to be a match-3 phone game

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I keep being tempted by HoI4 and enjoy the thread on here but the complaints about the air/naval game being barely functional, AI idiocy and screwy peace treaties put me off whenever it's on sale. It always seems like it'll be fixed in the next patch but never is.

In a similar vein, I thought the idea random new world in EU4 was amazing but it doesn't sound like it was implemented very well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

HoI has basically zero politics beyond "you're at war/you're neutral/you're allies" and no civilian economy/trade/development/anything else not directly related to the war effort. It's very much a wargame where the main thing you do is push divisions around and blow poo poo up, with a side serving of managing the war industry and logistics. If you want to fight a world war it's great fun, if you want a more traditional grand strategy it's not.

This. All other PDX games work on a scale of at least a hundred years on turns that are per day, HOI is set on a scale of ~15 years with turns that are every hour (yes I know that if you measure turn-for-turn they come out somewhere similar).

HOI is my favourite and I do like the others, but it's more different to any of the other games than they are to each other.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Walton Simons posted:

In a similar vein, I thought the idea random new world in EU4 was amazing but it doesn't sound like it was implemented very well.
I cant comment on HoI4 but yes, the EU4 Random New World was dreadful at first, then it was updated and is now simply mediocre. It is mostly islands most of the time and I have found it completely underwhelming. If I had a way to vet it before I started an Ironman game it may be different but as it is right now I dont see any point in using it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Walton Simons posted:

It's okay now. Now it uses a bunch of tiles that are sorted together, with a few neat presets being sidelined for use as well. (Like a giant wall.) The main issue is that it completely messes with trade routes in the process, which can be... an issue.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope they've been working on getting a more dynamic trade route system inplace for EU5.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I like the actual terrain generated by RNW, but sometimes the trade routes get really bad. Ultimately, the problem's more with the trade system than the RNW itself, but it's frustrating when you're playing as, say, Scotland, and the only trade route between the new world and Europe goes to Sevilla, because that completely fucks your colonial ambitions, even if there's some land that intuitively should trade into to the North Sea node instead. It'd be a lot better if trade nodes could shift or change their paths, but I think Paradox has said before that presents a massive technical challenge.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nut to Butt posted:

Wouldn't there be a host of health issues without first mastering artificial gravity technology?

Nah, you just make your colony a circle and spin it.

MrChips posted:

At least we'd have the game!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Victoria 3 is already so hyped up in my mind that even if it came out and was absolutely perfect in every way, I'd still be disappointed in it.

If we build something like that and it doesn't blast Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round" 24/7, we have failed as a species.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Victoria 3 could literally kill IRL capitalists when you have a glorious communist revolution and i'd still be disappointed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

algebra testes posted:

Victoria 3 could literally kill IRL capitalists when you have a glorious communist revolution and i'd still be disappointed.

It takes like 3 clicks per capitalist pop to put up against the wall when it should really be automated or some sort of purge-all button, this is all pointless micro.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

It takes like 3 clicks per capitalist pop to put up against the wall when it should really be automated or some sort of purge-all button, this is all pointless micro.

No this is the immersive Mozambique Drill experience

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

algebra testes posted:

I mean, lets not get carried away here

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
e: never mind this is old news

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

MrChips posted:

Baronjutter posted:

In V3 we've done away with the confusing simulation-like systems and replaced it with extremely abstracted points for all the things you'd want more detail and control in, and added ridiculous levels of micro-management and meaningless choices to other areas of the game. Capitalists now generate capital points in relation to their percentage size of your population which spend to invest in development slots in provinces which are then filled with factories. Each country has a hand-crafted ideology tree which nicely pigeon holes them into a few pre-defined options, most of which are only any good if the countries around you take certain choices them selves and are unlocked by generating Ideology Points, which are generated based on the % of clergy in your nation because we couldn't think of something else for clergy to do and need everything to be symmetrical. Special buildings generate new Loyalty Gems which are spent on policy cards, and a new deck-building system that's replacing the confusing reforms from earlier versions, but be careful, if another country plays a card before you that card becomes more rare unless you hire special Great Person characters which allow you to "stack the deck" in a fun mini-game. Great Persons have up to 30 customizable special slots ranging from shoes to hats to medals and awards that level up their effectiveness in an exciting game of rock paper scissors (note: scissors are useless and in fact a swarm of naked leaders generates the most policy bonuses) In future DLC as we realize the game's core mechanics are kinda boring or not working as intended we'll just keep tacking on more and more forms of slowly ticking mana for you to spend on things, or sweeping changes that just change stats but don't really address the core problems.

:discourse:

Baronjutter I still fukken love this post

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I like the actual terrain generated by RNW, but sometimes the trade routes get really bad. Ultimately, the problem's more with the trade system than the RNW itself, but it's frustrating when you're playing as, say, Scotland, and the only trade route between the new world and Europe goes to Sevilla, because that completely fucks your colonial ambitions, even if there's some land that intuitively should trade into to the North Sea node instead. It'd be a lot better if trade nodes could shift or change their paths, but I think Paradox has said before that presents a massive technical challenge.

They should really have an option that guarantees at least three of North Sea, English Channel, Bordeaux, or Seville get incoming trade.

But it doesn't look like rnw is going to get any more serious work. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In Stellaris can I reform Byzantium? This is very important.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm a bit less salty about Stellaris and paradox game design in in general today :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In Stellaris can I reform Byzantium? This is very important.

Auth, Spir, Mil, humans with a Greek namelist, and the right flagpack must exist.

Of course for actual accurate Byzzies you'll need to mod in some truly stupendous buffs, but I leave that as an exercise for the Parakoimomenos.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Autonomous Monster posted:

oh my god I hadn't seen this

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Baronjutter posted:

I'm a bit less salty about Stellaris and paradox game design in in general today :)

I thought that post was about EU IV, didn't know it was from last year. I hate the direction that game has taken and haven't played it since like 2016.

Good thing Stellaris is getting better over time at least.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Trogdos! posted:

I thought that post was about EU IV, didn't know it was from last year. I hate the direction that game has taken and haven't played it since like 2016.

It's about EUIV, and Stellaris, and HoI4, and probably CK2 as well. It's a fantastic post.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Doesn't quite fit CK2. That came out before they went on the manic mana mission.

e:Although now that I say that I just remembered they did turn prestige, piety and gold into mana with the new casus bellis. lol.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 28, 2018

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Trogdos! posted:

Yeah, eu4 got to a point where I just locked it at version 1.14.4 (after cossacks, before mare nostrum).

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

but.... power projection isn't mana?????

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Trogdos! posted:

To be fair EU4 got better over time too - a lot better over a long time. But it peaked a few years ago and is now a cautionary tale about the dark side of the Paradox DLC method. Lord knows what CK2 is like these days, I heard they added China or something?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

popewiles posted:

Yeah, eu4 got to a point where I just locked it at version 1.14.4 (after cossacks, before mare nostrum).

IMHO Rights of Man was the best expansion/patch in EU4. You should give that patch (1.19 I think) a shot.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I can't imagine playing EU4 without Art of War, but yeah you can 1000000% pass on most of the recent patches/DLC.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Bold Robot posted:

To be fair EU4 got better over time too - a lot better over a long time. But it peaked a few years ago and is now a cautionary tale about the dark side of the Paradox DLC method. Lord knows what CK2 is like these days, I heard they added China or something?

CK2's actually pretty healthy. Adding India was probably its low point.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China's off map, mostly, and basically just acts as an additional diplomatic window. It doesn't really affect performance and makes the eastern half of the map have more interesting things going on. Really the only downside is China's influence reaches too far west too often, but that's easily fixable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't quite fit CK2. That came out before they went on the manic mana mission.

e:Although now that I say that I just remembered they did turn prestige, piety and gold into mana with the new casus bellis. lol.

I might be misremembering but I'm pretty sure you could straight up pay prestige to get a CB on any neighboring province in CK1.