Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

prefect posted:

Deadpool's healing factor is more cartoon-level, where he can cut off a finger and it just pops back in the next panel.

Right, I just meant that his regenerating hid head shouldn't have been able to restore his memories unless they're backed up somewhere else, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I would have loved if the 90s had bequeathed us a whole genre of "X Kills the Marvel Universe". As it stands, there's just a few What Ifs, the abominable Punisher one, the Squirrel Girl parody of it, the Deadpool one, and some issue I recall from my misspent youth that opened with a guy playing a virtual reality game where he brutally murders all the heroes and then maybe Carnage shows up?

A comic of one panel jokes would probably suffice, honestly--Aunt May Kills the Marvel Universe and then the artist gets freedom on what to depict.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's never really applied, otherwise concussions would be such a worse problem.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Keeshhound posted:

Right, I just meant that his regenerating hid head shouldn't have been able to restore his memories unless they're backed up somewhere else, too.

Isn't Lobo even more ludicrous, able to regenerate from a single drop of blood?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Shoot, that was just in the first issue.

It's not like Deadpool hasn't come back from having his head blown apart before.

Literally the very next panel.

EDIT: That's the top of Uatu's head where he starts expositioning for the reader.

That comic was possibly the worst comic I've ever read.

And I've read Identity Crisis.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 28, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A Strange Aeon posted:

Isn't Lobo even more ludicrous, able to regenerate from a single drop of blood?

I remember them doing something fun with that; doesn't it turn out there's something like a million malformed idiot clones of him because he's done it so much?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Keeshhound posted:

Wolverine was nuked down to just his shiny skeleton once, and he made it back. (Which was stupid, I agree.) :shrug:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Keeshhound posted:

The no-prize answer is that his awareness is scattered throughout his cancers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given that the whole point of the story is that his awareness literally breaches the boundaries of his existence as a comic character...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

prefect posted:

Wolverine was nuked down to just his shiny skeleton once, and he made it back. (Which was stupid, I agree.) :shrug:

Wasn't that when he was fighting Death each time he got blown up? A Death who was also a badguy named Lazar (or something similar) and, if he defeated him, got to come back to life no matter how stupidly he died.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wasn't that when he was fighting Death each time he got blown up? A Death who was also a badguy named Lazar (or something similar) and, if he defeated him, got to come back to life no matter how stupidly he died.

I want to say it was during a Civil War side story. Might have involved Damage Control turning out to be evil.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Keeshhound posted:

I remember them doing something fun with that; doesn't it turn out there's something like a million malformed idiot clones of him because he's done it so much?

One of my earliest exposures to Lobo was as a kid looking at a friend's L.E.G.I.O.N. issue, and a scene where like he gets this nasty cut with bleeding and everyone's all "uh oh", with the next page being the room suddenly being overflowing with Lobos.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

prefect posted:

Hasn't Wolverine been to the sun?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah, but he went at night.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

One of my earliest exposures to Lobo was as a kid looking at a friend's L.E.G.I.O.N. issue, and a scene where like he gets this nasty cut with bleeding and everyone's all "uh oh", with the next page being the room suddenly being overflowing with Lobos.

IIRC, the insta-cloning from a drop of blood thing was due to the nature of being a Czarnian, I think his whole race could do that. At least up until he committed genocide with a plague of scorpions or something. Eventually Vril Dox genetically removed his ability to clone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but he gets it back.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Keeshhound posted:

Now I'm imagining Deadpool's consciousness working on the same principle as homeopathy, which would probably be a good explanation for his mental state.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the recent dp vs punisher mini was predicated on the idea that if you shoot wade in the head he loses his memory

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He's lost his memory a couple times due to massive physical trauma (though one of those was Agent X and I didn't finish it so I don't remember if that one is Deadpool or not).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

He's lost his memory a couple times due to massive physical trauma (though one of those was Agent X and I didn't finish it so I don't remember if that one is Deadpool or not).

It'd take me all night to explain how that one turns out, but it does involve Deadpool losing his memory.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Skwirl posted:

Agent X was a mook that was with Deadpool when he invaded the Big Bad's house and got his mind jumbled. The mook was knocked out and landed on his face on the fireplace grill thingy - so that's why he had the X - and lost his memories. Deadpool reverted to an - even more - infantile state and disappeared for most of the run.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Samuringa posted:

The mook was knocked out and landed on his face on the fireplace grill thingy - so that's why he had the X

Hahahahahahaahahahahaaaaaaaaahahaha

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agent X was remarkably solid all things considered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

Agent X was a mook that was with Deadpool when he invaded the Big Bad's house and got his mind jumbled. The mook was knocked out and landed on his face on the fireplace grill thingy - so that's why he had the X - and lost his memories. Deadpool reverted to an - even more - infantile state and disappeared for most of the run.

Because they decided they wanted to stop paying Rob his royalties.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Because they decided they wanted to stop paying Rob his royalties.

Liefield getting royalties from Deadpool and Lee/Ditko not getting royalties from Spider-Man is hilariously depressing. I guess it's a form of progress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Liefield getting royalties from Deadpool and Lee/Ditko not getting royalties from Spider-Man is hilariously depressing. I guess it's a form of progress.

:shrug:

I don't work in legal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

:shrug:

I don't work in legal.

Wasn't it famously told that Kirby got way more money in royalties for The New Gods than he did for any of his Marvel work (including X-Men, Captain America and The Fantastic Four)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Reed took sue and the kids and ran to the space between universes after comics stopped paying and he defaulted on the lease to the Baxter building

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Reed took sue and the kids and ran to the space between universes after comics stopped paying and he defaulted on the lease to the Baxter building

Regularly invents interdimensional teleporters, can't balance a checkbook.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Engineers.txt

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't it famously told that Kirby got way more money in royalties for The New Gods than he did for any of his Marvel work (including X-Men, Captain America and The Fantastic Four)

This wouldn’t be too surprising. Creator rights and pay changed over time.

Comics “creation” is pretty nebulous though. Kirby and Lee created the X-Men, but their X-Men were terrible and nobody wanted to read about them. Then you had guys like Werner Roth and Arnold Drake working on the book for many issues, but they were still terrible and nobody wanted to read about them. Then you had people write actual good books and do interesting things with the characters.

It’s not often you can point to a character and a single creative team and say “they did it”. Kirby and Lee on Thor and FF are some of the best examples from back then I can think of, but most other books take time and a few creator iterations to really hit their stride.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

prefect posted:

Wasn't that one that he got murdered super hard but some of his blood landed on the magic crystal nearby, and it was still full of live cells, so that counted as "Wolverine touched it first" and he was restored?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

This wouldn’t be too surprising. Creator rights and pay changed over time.

Comics “creation” is pretty nebulous though. Kirby and Lee created the X-Men, but their X-Men were terrible and nobody wanted to read about them. Then you had guys like Werner Roth and Arnold Drake working on the book for many issues, but they were still terrible and nobody wanted to read about them. Then you had people write actual good books and do interesting things with the characters.

It’s not often you can point to a character and a single creative team and say “they did it”. Kirby and Lee on Thor and FF are some of the best examples from back then I can think of, but most other books take time and a few creator iterations to really hit their stride.

Literally everyone on the cover of X-Men 1 has been in multiple films (Maybe not Angel, I don't remember, but even he is in at least one)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Literally everyone on the cover of X-Men 1 has been in multiple films (Maybe not Angel, I don't remember, but even he is in at least one)

Angel's been in two but he has a different actor the second time and might not be the same guy because reasons?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Angel's been in two but he has a different actor the second time and might not be the same guy because reasons?

There's absolutely no way to make sense of the continuity of the X-films so I wouldn't worry about that, but I'm glad to find out I was correct about everyone being in more than one film.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

I believe the distinction Jordan7hm was making though was that, yes, they certainly created those characters in terms of being the ones to make an image and put a name to it, but big two comics are inevitably a collaborative venture and those characters aren't just an image and a name - they are the sum value of all the stories told of them. Kirby and Lee's X-Men aren't in multiple films - Marvel's X-Men are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I believe the distinction Jordan7hm was making though was that, yes, they certainly created those characters in terms of being the ones to make an image and put a name to it, but big two comics are inevitably a collaborative venture and those characters aren't just an image and a name - they are the sum value of all the stories told of them. Kirby and Lee's X-Men aren't in multiple films - Marvel's X-Men are.

X-Men isn't the best example, since a lot of their popularity comes from Claremont's run, but my original example was Lee/Ditko Spider-Man and the DNA of that is painted large across every single movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
honestly if wolverine ended up as a skeleton that refused to die but was pissed because he couldn't drink beer anymore, I could get that.