Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox is basically dead as a brand outside of English speaking countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, y'know, it's definitely worth a try. I might as well just dive in and try to make something super basic and build up from there. I'm guessing that even if it takes me a month to make a basic level you can walk around in and interact with like two things I'll feel great about it.

And it sounds like GameMaker is probably a solid place to start, if nothing else.

Isn't that the engine Hyper Light Drifter uses? I'm sure it has some serious limitations but that game owned

Yeah, Hyper Light Drifter was made in GameMaker Studio. So were Nidhogg, Undertale, Hotline Miami, Gunpoint, Risk of Rain, and plenty others. It's a perfectly cromulent system to build a successful game with. There are tons of tutorials that walk you through all sorts of features, lots of "let's make a game" playlists that start with absolutely nothing and explain in detail how to do things like implement jump mechanics or a menu system. You say it would take you a month, but I would pose this challenge to you: Make one room with a character, a button, a door, and an exit point. The character has to move through a sprite set as they move, the button must be interacted with to open the door, the exit point is beyond the door, and touching the exit displays an end of level message. I bet you could get all that done in a week, probably with time left over to add polish, even if you started with absolutely no experience in the software whatsoever. Once you have that done, you'll likely already be seeing ways to add to it, like making it so pressing the space bar shoots out a bullet object that can press buttons your character can't reach.

Start small, watch some videos, and plug away at it. And report back if you do, I'm excited for you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Engines like Game Maker and Unity get a lot of flak because tons of trash is made with them but from what I understand they are perfectly acceptable for most indie games when used properly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite bit of jp xbox 360 trivia is that sales for the system hit like 25k on the launch for tales of vesperia, compared to a previous week of 5k, and its lifetime sales by the time the ps3 version came out were 140k. the ps3 version ended up selling that much in its first week and now the xbox 360 version sales vs the ps3 version sales are 200k, putting the xbox 360 version as the second best selling xbox 360 game in japan, vs 400k on the ps3 lmao

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kinda wish they'd made it look more cartoonish like DQ8, it just seems too uncanny valley when they translate anime characters into "realistic" looking 3D.
A Dragon Quest game that was animated like DBFZ would look amazing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If anybody in this thread makes a game and it's free I'll play it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've literally only watched the first cutscene of Ni no Kuni 2 and it is already insane

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Start small, watch some videos, and plug away at it. And report back if you do, I'm excited for you!

:hfive:

Gonna make a game, then another one, and then keep goin' until I make something rad as hell

raditts posted:

Kinda wish they'd made it look more cartoonish like DQ8, it just seems too uncanny valley when they translate anime characters into "realistic" looking 3D.
A Dragon Quest game that was animated like DBFZ would look amazing.

After playing Ni no Kuni II I definitely wish they'd have gone for something cel shaded instead of going for this sort of 3D lighting. I think it still looks fine but I'm routinely blown away by how good Ni no Kuni II looks in motion.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Something I often wonder is how people that don't seem to have any skills beyond being the "ideas guy" got to that position in the first place. I have to assume that in most cases they have talents I'm unaware of that allowed them to work to where they are now. But hell if I know what talent someone like Peter Molyneux has.

A lot of the time, "all" it takes is networking

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh my god do you really play as the President of the United States who's been turned into an anime protagonist?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No you play as the catboy prince

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Catboy king actually

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh my god do you really play as the President of the United States who's been turned into an anime protagonist?

You can play as roland but he takes forever to get a full wheel of combat skills for.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Looper posted:

A lot of the time, "all" it takes is networking

Networking? You mean I have to...talk to people!?!

:suicide:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Every time I think about trying to learn how to make a game I remember my lack of any musical or artistic ability and that I still get tripped up by basic syntax stuff when I do some scripting stuff at work. Took an embarrassing amount of time to dig up how to get a spreadsheet column changed to a list.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every time I think about making a game and picking something that I have the coding chops to accomplish, I remember I'm lazy and just play a videogame instead

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
On one hand tons of people never get anywhere with games. On the other hand you have a game like LISA which was made by a guy that had made one game before, barely drew, had little talent with sprites, and had never opened a music program before making his games. And yet he produced a game that achieved cult success and was carried entirely off its visual style, music, and brutal writing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A giant person versus fighter isn't even a bad idea and it's a shame cabbagepots had to be weird about it instead of just going "hey it'd be cool if big things hit each other while causing lots of damage to the city they're fighting in"

The Colonel posted:

i want to make a beat em up where a tall lesbian sky pirate captain suplexes tanks

I believe this describes most, if not all, of dungeon fighter online

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"it's a shame cabbagepots had to be weird about it" describes the entirety of his life

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I want to make a game where YOU are the real monster

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't have to be able to draw to make a great game.

Even aside from that, Unity has a robust asset store where you can either scrounge up something free or pay for something comparable to a low-end "real" game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I swear I got into this same exact discussion in a previous iteration of this thread like a year ago, because it resulted in me posting this wonderful gif.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Even aside from that, Unity has a robust asset store where you can either scrounge up something free or pay for something comparable to a low-end "real" game.

Yeah but I want to work my way up to making a character-driven RPG in a detailed city setting with ~*~story~*~ and drama and stuff and that means I'm eventually going to need to have nice-looking, unique graphics to convey the setting and story and stuff.

Got a lot to learn before I even start on that project in earnest, of course, so I don't really need to think about that at all yet. Ready-made assets will do just fine for learning and making my first couple of actually-playable games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO, start off with making mods. Mods are small scale and a decent thing to start with since you can just use a base game and make something with that. That's what I've been doing, though don't use me as a positive example because I'm brokebrained and can't wrap my head around coding well enough to get stuff done. I've managed to hit a brick wall in pretty much every modding project I've started and never ended up with anything remotely close to resembling a finished mod.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO, start off with making mods.

my advice is the opposite of this

jump in the deep end and drown

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand tons of people never get anywhere with games. On the other hand you have a game like LISA which was made by a guy that had made one game before, barely drew, had little talent with sprites, and had never opened a music program before making his games. And yet he produced a game that achieved cult success and was carried entirely off its visual style, music, and brutal writing.

Games are art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

FirstAidKite posted:

I swear I got into this same exact discussion in a previous iteration of this thread like a year ago, because it resulted in me posting this wonderful gif.

lol, someone has that as an avatar somewhere around here

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

I notice with fan projects, too many hands and it goes nowhere (kinda why those fan games go down in flames) because there is always that one rear end in a top hat who wants to do something else and takes his stuff and runs. I say working with 3 or 4 people at most is the best for small projects. I myself dabble in pixel here and there and animation but good lord I don't have the coding chops.

Done a few game jams here and there but I seem to have a bad luck in our games not being complete.

TLDR: if you need an aritst PM me I would totally love to dab in this stuff again :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 28, 2018

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
You can deliver a touching and poignant story with poo poo art assets. Just look at Thomas Was Alone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

You can deliver a touching and poignant story with poo poo art assets. Just look at Thomas Was Alone.

Definitely. It probably depends on what kind of setting you're going for and who your characters are, too.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Harrow posted:

Definitely. It probably depends on what kind of setting you're going for and who your characters are, too.

True, and I probably shouldn't have said "poo poo" art assets, but rather "rudimentary" art assets.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Personally I just wish don't starve modding was easier. That was probably the biggest modding project I got into mainly because I was able to actually make some headway with it. But then, like all projects, I hit a brick wall, and it turns out that don't starve has an absolutely abysmal set of modding documentation, with most tutorials having been written by people who don't know how to write tutorials and there being plenty of things that I just wouldn't know how to do. Even a person who worked on the game told me that the game has very poor documentation. Eventually I decided that I'd just commission someone else to make it since there are people on the klei forums who take commissions solely because they know how tough it is to puzzle out don't starve's modding stuff. Unfortunately the one guy I contacted told me that what I wanted was perfectly doable and easy to make but then he never got back to me on a price so I guess he got busy.

hello this has been firstaidkite's incoherent rambling runon sentences I hope you enjoyed thanks for tuning in

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

haveblue posted:

I want the opposite, an engine store so I can just have the engine for a good platformer and then I can just make the art and build the levels.

Anyway, in conclusion, where the gently caress is Mario Maker 2 or a Celeste level editor

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO, start off with making mods. Mods are small scale and a decent thing to start with since you can just use a base game and make something with that. That's what I've been doing, though don't use me as a positive example because I'm brokebrained and can't wrap my head around coding well enough to get stuff done. I've managed to hit a brick wall in pretty much every modding project I've started and never ended up with anything remotely close to resembling a finished mod.

Yeah i agree with this sentiment. Just jumping right into something super ambitious when you're not all that experienced is a real easy way get overwhelmed and burnt out and frustrated with your (entirely justifiable) lack of progress. Start with something small and basic and manageable if only to help build up the confidence to tackle a more complex project

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Doesn't SA have game jams somewhat regularly?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I just finished Iconoclasts and holy poo poo that game gets real.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

cheetah7071 posted:

Here's a real lovely game I made with the help of my sister for a game jam once.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

hold on, I'm gonna make the shittiest game ever and you're gonna play it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

hold on, I'm gonna make the shittiest game ever and you're gonna play it

I didn't say I'd finish it but sure throw it at me

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I just finished Iconoclasts and holy poo poo that game gets real.

I had a real hard time pegging down that game's tone right up until the point a dude's arm got ripped off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

Yeah i agree with this sentiment. Just jumping right into something super ambitious when you're not all that experienced is a real easy way get overwhelmed and burnt out and frustrated with your (entirely justifiable) lack of progress. Start with something small and basic and manageable if only to help build up the confidence to tackle a more complex project

I've been considering making a custom campaign for Shadowrun Returns or Divinity Original Sin 2 or something like that to practice video game RPG writing, stuff like that. I also want to learn to work with scripting and an actual game engine like GameMaker Studio or Unity or something, but working on a custom campaign for one of those PC RPGs with a scenario builder would be a nice side project as well.

• Locked thread