Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
That episode was incredible. One of my only criticisms about the last two seasons—and I know this sounds weird as gently caress—but I wanted more Ash and not just Bruce Campbell Playing Ash. This was one of the first episodes since the cabin reunion that it actually felt like that, and probably because they turned the Army of Darkness up to 11 and then broke off the knob.

Really thought Kelly was going to chop off her leg and get a sweet shotgun limb or something. Also, I gasped in awe like a small child at EL BRUJO.... ESPECIAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wasn't really expecting Kelly to lose her leg because that seemed way too on the nose and its exactly what I think the show doesn't need to be doing and would feel too hacky. She's her own character, she doesn't have to be Ash 2.0.

But I also wasn't completely discounting the possibility of it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Okay, if there's some good Pablo beefcake in it, I guess I can get on top of watching season 3.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still trying to figure out why there was this huge 50% drop and how it relates to the other Starz shows in the shake-up. The show's at it's loving peak right now, the thought of this being the last season sucks.

It was a hit and other than the finale everyone seemed to be completely behind it, then suddenly.. wham, off a cliff?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why there was this huge 50% drop and how it relates to the other Starz shows in the shake-up. The show's at it's loving peak right now, the thought of this being the last season sucks.

It was a hit and other than the finale everyone seemed to be completely behind it, then suddenly.. wham, off a cliff?

My guess is that a bad season finale is absolutely killer -- and that's on top of natural show attrition, the general trend towards cord cutting and the long gap between airing the second and third seasons.

People hang a lot of expectations on a season finale. They'll push through weaker material or unexplained poo poo on the understanding that a good final act will make it all worth it. Costs sunk and all that. And when you gently caress up badly in the home stretch, then an audience feels betrayed.

(I also reckon that the back half of last season being so meandering didn't help much, but I recognise that I might be alone in thinking that.)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, I've been watching the show but I don't feel it's very good actually. Haven't said much because y'all seem to be enjoying it. Still watching and hoping it gets better but it feels like Season 2 should have been the end of that whole arc and was waiting for something new. Instead they immediately brought Ruby and the book back again.

BTW I'm still watching it, so it's not bad. Just not very good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, I've been watching the show but I don't feel it's very good actually. Haven't said much because y'all seem to be enjoying it. Still watching and hoping it gets better but it feels like Season 2 should have been the end of that whole arc and was waiting for something new. Instead they immediately brought Ruby and the book back again.

BTW I'm still watching it, so it's not bad. Just not very good.

It's

Crossed over entirely to the Army of Darkness side of things. The plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense, the characters are pretty thin, and it's basically just good for Ash doing stupid poo poo and dealing with it and the new Kelly and Pablo stuff.

Evil Dead is at its best when its riding a fine line, I think, like Evil Dead 2. This is not. It's still fine but it could be better.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All I want out of this show is silly Ash stuff and creative disgusting gore. This show is still delivering on both fronts so I’m happy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat it. We're in the TVIV Season 3 backlash. I thought this show might avoid it.

I'm mostly joking. You're totally free to dislike the show. Please don't think I'm dismissing your opinions as some kind of trend or something. I just find it funny how TVIV tends to follow a pattern but I also think its a natural result of people's attentions spans and shows' creative depth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nah I like the show. It's still good. I just really like it when it's more of an honest mix of horror and comedy which isn't this. Which is fine

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I get you. I think the Evil Dead -> Evil Dead 2 -> Army of Darkness thing is a fair theory and we're definitely a lot closer to Army of Darkness than Evil Dead right now.

I just get a kick out of the TVIV Three Season Rule.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I get you. I think the Evil Dead -> Evil Dead 2 -> Army of Darkness thing is a fair theory and we're definitely a lot closer to Army of Darkness than Evil Dead right now.

I just get a kick out of the TVIV Three Season Rule.

Archer avoided it!

But then apparently a lot of people didn't like the last season which is loving nuts to me so what do I know

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Burkion posted:

It's crossed over entirely to the Army of Darkness side of things.

Politely disagree. They didn't even do that, for all it's faults AoD is something new from ED2, turning it into an comedy action adventure movie. There was a tradeoff. This season...everything feels recycled minus the good horror. Ruby isn't interesting. The Necronomicon isn't interesting. They've run their course.The dumb mythology that they added with the demon council or Dark Ones or whatever is so boring and generic that I literally can't remember anything but the broadest details. I'm not feeling it with Ash and his daughter. They brought back Lee Majors (in an awesome way) only to unceremoniously dump him out of the series...again. He's also made a completely unlikable douche who left a guy to die in his basement (there's Ash being a dunce who gets people killed despite his best efforts to save them, and then there's actually making his dad do the killing...big difference IMO). Ash has not been very charismatic or very funny, he's gone almost completely 100% buffoon. I'm glad Pablo has become a Brujo ESPECIAL because that whole thing was going nowhere. Pablo fawning over Ash while he gets treated like poo poo is boring, we've seen every permutation of that scenario. Kelly is just kinda around doing the same tough gal shtick she's been doing forever. They need to do something different.

Honestly Season 3 is what I feared this show would originally be. Me just sitting there half-paying attention to the plot stuff and counting down to another creative and gory action sequence. That's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. But when I am bored for 2/3rds of the show it's not a good thing, for me anyway. However with Ash's daughter now on his side and El Brujo ESPECIAL I've got hope. And again I'm not criticizing anyone for enjoying the show, I'm not saying my criticisms are the reasons the show is struggling. Just my own personal take.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think this show more than a lot of others is highly pirated, so ratings are tough. When Bruce Campbell himself is saying in interviews to pay for it and not pirate it, that's a big deal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't understand their ratings either, since the Starz app has it Sunday morning, so that's when I watch it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, until evidence otherwise comes forward I'm still going with the reason ratinngs are down is because Starz spent months pushing viewers to stream the show and provide the stream nearly 24 hours early.

Like there's no mystery there to me. It plays to me like Starz got what they were asking for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Again. It's a premium network show. Ratings only matter so much.

What matters is how many subs they gain when the season starts and how many they lose when the season ends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. If Starz has numbers that say a bunch of people watch Sunday morning or a bunch of people signed up right before the show started or a bunch of people cancelled right after the show ends I assume that all means more than ratings.

And until given evidence otherwise I'll assume they recognize that given their whole Starz Streaming strategy.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
This season is still engaging to me. I don't think many of us are going into this expecting The Wire or something that well constructed but the show delivers pretty well still on disgusting humor and gore. It is sort of unique in the TV landscape and I am hoping that the creators can at least end the show on their terms.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm loving the season, but I'm also totally cool with wacky Army of Darkness levels of Ash vs Evil. I just tune in for 30 minutes a week to see how Bruce Campbell and Co can gross me out and shock me, but in a light hearted cartoony manner that doesn't actually bother me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
KELLY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I mean this show has killed Pablo twice and it didn't stick but still I'm gonna be on tenterhooks unless this gets resolved

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The idea of Kelly being dead makes me angry sad but given she's a vessel for the next bad guy i have hope she can be saved.

And holy crap, that Demon Knight was something else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That thing was very Resident Evil.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

And holy crap, that Demon Knight was something else.

That was the most fantastic demon design since the teleporting demon from season 1. loving top tier.

I am going to be so Goddamn bummed if this show gets canceled. It's creativity is insane, even if some people have issues with this season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to say it just now hit me who the Knights SHOULD have been, and written as, because it'd been perfect. I'm actually disappointed they didn't do it that way now: The descendants of the people who fought with Ash in the middle ages during AoD. They knew about the Necronomicon, and to think that the remaining soldiers would have basically tried to protect the book after (ultimately failing, leading to the cabin) .. it was gift-wrapped as an origin story.

Their die hard belief that only Ash can stop them would be quite reasonable as that's what they saw back in that castle.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

The idea of Kelly being dead makes me angry sad but given she's a vessel for the next bad guy i have hope she can be saved.

It's a good thing they have a brujo... el special

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

My only issue is sometime it get's a bit repetitive. This last episode was great though, I love when Ash has a bunch of redshirts on his side and of course they all get slaughtered immediately. More of that and the crazy demon design please.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It was definitely in keeping with Kelly to be too pissed off to use her weapons in an optimal order.

Next episode preview looks to be absolutely insane.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

See, I liked that episode! The season has finally started going places.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just want to say it just now hit me who the Knights SHOULD have been, and written as, because it'd been perfect. I'm actually disappointed they didn't do it that way now: The descendants of the people who fought with Ash in the middle ages during AoD. They knew about the Necronomicon, and to think that the remaining soldiers would have basically tried to protect the book after (ultimately failing, leading to the cabin) .. it was gift-wrapped as an origin story.

Their die hard belief that only Ash can stop them would be quite reasonable as that's what they saw back in that castle.

Oh dang, that’s a good idea.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

This season is the best yet. Whenever it seems like they're just recycling old ideas, they introduce enough new poo poo to make it work. The Knights of Sumeria and the lore associated with them is super generic, but I think it's best if they try to get by with as little explanation of the origins of evil as possible, so I'm okay with that. Season 2 had more problems than this one, especially towards the messy and meandering end that had to take place at the cabin again, for some reason. If they do another finale in the cabin that basically pushes the reset button again, the show will be over. Luckily, it looks like they're doing something very different this time, hopefully with a rift that throws them into medieval times.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I caught up with this week's episode yesterday. That monster design permeated my thoughts because I had a bizarre rear end dream with a mixture of that and as a large intestinal parasite. It was hosed up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm definitely in the minority but I'm glad stupid yelling Kelly is dead. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable redemption arc where they kick that sorceress out of her body and she goes back to yelling like this every episode

ahhhhh

ahhhhhhh

*deadite attacks her while she an uzi*

ahhhhh
ahhhh

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

See, I loved the poo poo in the cabin at the end of both seasons. If it were up to me, every finale would take place in the cabin and they would keep trying to one up themselves. I love that cabin and I love Ash being there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alan_Shore posted:

See, I loved the poo poo in the cabin at the end of both seasons. If it were up to me, every finale would take place in the cabin and they would keep trying to one up themselves. I love that cabin and I love Ash being there.

The cabin is a character at this point. I want to see it pretty much in every season and every evil dead movie. At this point pretty much all of us know the complete layout of the cabin and the basement. That's such a cool thing to me that a little cabin can become so iconic.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yes Kelly's really wooden yelling was the only bad part of Season 1

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I always thought Pablo was the better of Ash's sidekicks (well counterparts now). Like Doltos nailed, she will be back.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Loved the last two seasons, but I was kinda meh on even starting this season, and it isn’t grabbing me. Seems like it’s trying too hard or something.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remulak posted:

Loved the last two seasons, but I was kinda meh on even starting this season, and it isn’t grabbing me. Seems like it’s trying too hard or something.

The biggest difference that's obvious is the music, which has gone all Army of Darkness most of the time.

The devil-may-care grindhouse vibe has definitely been strangled out a bit. I think any difference you can detect is definitely linked to the show runner change.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

It was definitely in keeping with Kelly to be too pissed off to use her weapons in an optimal order.

The most out of character thing about the scene was a lack of a grenade launcher equipped assault rifle that is her trademark weapon of choice.

If she had that.. I really don't know how she could have lost.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I think you should definitely take the story of the guy who left with a grain of salt. "Remember that scene everyone loved? Yeah, that was all me. I had more great ideas, but, creative differences. That's fine though, no hard feelings, just saying the show would be much better with me still on board." There was also an interview with Bruce in which he said the idea of Ash "going home" (into that guys rear end in the morgue scene) was Taperts idea. And I think that interview took place before the other showrunner walked. And yes, I realize that part of an actors job is to lie as much as necessary for promotional reasons, but who knows.

• Locked thread