Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Looking at new subarus while my car gets re-recalled, new wrxs have electronic handbrakes, smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

underage at the vape shop posted:

Looking at new subarus while my car gets re-recalled, new wrxs have electronic handbrakes, smdh
Gotta schedule the control arm recall inspection thing soon. Apparently mine never got it. It wasn't too bad when I was under there last week, but the subframe is starting to look sketchy in a couple of spots. :toot:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I love eyesight in our crosstrek. Mostly for the adaptive cruise, I can make an hour plus journey and not have to touch the pedals. The lane keep can be a little abrupt at times but its really easy to switch off.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That sucks, luckily the same generation has a good ol cable brake you can install. Or aftermarket hydraulic :getin:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Mine had to get the airbags redone, what i got from the legalese on the phone is that someones done a dodgy and subaru australia is making them check them all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can live without it.

Buuuuuut.....

The adaptive cruise control it enables is wonderful on longer trips. It's seriously good at that and well worth it if you do freeway kms, worth the price (Altho came as default on my car). Why anyone would hate the idea is kinda headscratching?

It never. Stops. Beeping. (EDIT: This was on a 2017 Legacy.)

Midjack posted:

That's kind of how I felt about the Legacy I got the three month test drive while Subaru struggled to find differential gears. I didn't even try to connect a phone to their system, but I add that the Eyesight works well except for beeping at me twenty times a minute.

Lane marker disappears due to construction or fading? BEEP
Car changes lanes to be in front of you? BEEEEP
You change lanes so there's no longer a car in front of you? BEEEEEEP
Get too close to the lane marker because they shift due to construction? BEEEEEEEEEEEEP
Approaching car stopped at stoplight? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
Car at stoplight moves? BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP MOTHERFUCKER

I sort of felt like TV intensive care nurse or something anytime I drove, and since I'm in an urban area with nonstop heavy construction I encountered all those scenarios all the time. Besides the incessant beeping, I though the system performed adequately, but I can't recommend anyone who lives in anything more built up than a small town or rural environment get it unless they're severely hearing impaired.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 26, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it depends on which generation of eyesight you have so that should probably be mentioned when talking about its quirks.

I have the third gen in the 2018 models and it's been pretty bulletproof. The only time collision detect has freaked out on me is when a car in front of me was making a right and was technically out of my path, but eyesight was worried it was in front of me (maybe it thought I would be following with a turn of my own) and started pulsing the brakes.

There's also a lane merge that the lane departure likes to wig out on, it goes from two lanes to one and the paint is super faded but there's a crease in the asphalt that stands out. I think it identifies that line as a lane marker and beeps at me when I cross it.

The adaptive cruise control along with lane assist is a godsend on road trips. You set your speed and forget about it forever. The lane assist isn't really an autopilot, it's more like a reminder. It'll nudge the steering wheel when the road bends to kind of alert you there's a turn, then it eases off under the assumption you'll handle it from there.

I didn't get a chance to drive on snow buried roads this winter, but with slush and low contrast from dried ice melt it handled things fine.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Lane assist likes to try and make me take highway exits when I’m in the right lane. It’s pretty funny.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Do they really? I have a '15 STI that has a manual handbrake.

I'm going to assume that when they redid the engine for the WRX they also moved to the electric handbrake.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think it might just be on the cvt version.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
15 WRX owner, mines still a cable brake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Saw a race today, some Subies

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I got to try 3rd Gen Eyesight on a 2018 Impreza.

It was very, very, very nice. None of the excessive beeping that I keep hearing about in older versions. And the adaptive cruise control was *so* nice. I wasn't brave enough to try to see if it would brake itself all the way down to a complete stop, but man did it make LA-style traffic a loving breeze.

My complaints with recent Subarus continues to be a trend of too much "ooh, this is a nice feature!" and not enough "this is good, solid design".

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Rant of the moment.

Never try to swap a 5 speed DCCD into a Phase 2 transmission. There's so many weird little parts where it looks like Phase 1 parts but actually isn't.

Case in point - the transfer gears. The drive gear that plugs into the diff has the splines set up completely differently, so you can't just use the transfer gears from the viscous center diff Phase 1 transmission... and then bearing for that transfer gear is different too because Subaru upsized that part of the shaft!

Good thing I know how to look through bearing catalogs to find something probably close enough... I swear to god if this thing lunches on me in 20k miles I'm just getting an STI 6-speed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mekilljoydammit posted:

I swear to god if this thing lunches on me in 20k miles I'm just getting an STI 6-speed.

I mean, it's a Subaru 5 speed so...:shrug:

SELF CONTROL

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Larrymer posted:

I mean, it's a Subaru 5 speed so...:shrug:

SELF CONTROL

I specifically meant "if this bearing I'm picking out of SKF's catalog vs the official Subaru part" lunches... because it shouldn't be anything too weird but god knows at this point.

As far as Subaru 5 speeds go, it should be relatively solid for the power outputs I ever intend to be making on my DD. As long as I don't take it to a drag strip or something.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I'm having a really poo poo time with the misfire on my 2006 Impreza 2.5 5-speed. Googling the issue results in 90% of all threads on NASOIC, so perhaps you guys can help. I trust you, you're good to me. It's been throwing a misfire code off and on for about a year and a half now. Initially it was one cylinder, but it would move which one. I did plugs, plug wires and coil. Initially that seemed to make it go away, now it's back on cyl 1,2 and 4. Before I bought it, it had the headgaskets and clutch done by a shop that hand-wrote the receipt "Clutch and headgaskets, $1800". I'm not convinced he was an expert. When the car was getting the Takata airbag inspection, the dealer mentioned that it could need a valve adjustment, and that would cause a misfire, but to my knowledge, these are hydraulic lifters, so that doesn't seem to make sense. I've seen lots of people suggesting vacuum leaks, but I've taken a pretty good look at things, and nothing appears obvious.

So with all that said, what else can I look at here? Driveability is fine, although the idle seems a little uneven and low (550-700rpm) once warmed up but I do feel the misfire on the freeway in 5th from time to time. The car was nice in that the misfire code went away for long enough to get the car smogged, but now it's back and I hate leaving things unresolved. Any ideas?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oxygen sensor? I mean, that is one of the preconditions for the misfire code.

You might be able to get an OBD2 reader that has live monitor views and watch the O2 sensor reading when driving around.

My old Miata had a nuked O2 sensor that would get obsessed with reporting full lean, causing the ECU to absolutely dump fuel into the cylinders.

That would definitely show up on a smog test, though, unless the sensor magically healed itself.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Well we're in CA, which for these cars they don't do a sniffer test anymore. They just connect to the computer and trust what it says. I think my obd2 reader can give me O2 sensor readings, so I'll look into that. This would be the precat sensor right?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deceptor101 posted:

Well we're in CA, which for these cars they don't do a sniffer test anymore. They just connect to the computer and trust what it says. I think my obd2 reader can give me O2 sensor readings, so I'll look into that. This would be the precat sensor right?

Pre-cat should be up and down/oscillating readings, post-cat should be basically flat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have a Forester that can recommend a hitch?

I have a 2016 Forester and I just want a hitch to put a bike hitch on, but what I’m seeing so far is the only way to go is the OEM hitch that costs $600+ after install.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

nwin posted:

Anyone have a Forester that can recommend a hitch?

I have a 2016 Forester and I just want a hitch to put a bike hitch on, but what I’m seeing so far is the only way to go is the OEM hitch that costs $600+ after install.

I got a Curt from this site for my 13 Forester. Hauls mainly bikes and a small utility trailer fine. A search says this should fit your 16 but double-check.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C13144.html

Bonus if you're installing yourself is that their instruction videos are vehicle specific and make it pretty fool proof.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

builds character posted:

Pre-cat should be up and down/oscillating readings, post-cat should be basically flat.

So, the Torque app can only find one O2 sensor to read. Any of the other ones don't show any reading at all. Here are some shots after revving it while parked:

But if there's supposed to be another one, it's not reading at all? I feel like that would throw a code of it's own right?

I also noticed that the throttle position seems to be hosed:

At idle fully warmed up:

Freeway driving, no throttle:

Freeway Driving full throttle:

From what I can tell on RockAuto, these cars don't have a throttle position sensor, but they're surely getting the information from somewhere. I'm not sure if that's related to my misfire, but it doesn't seem good. Regarding the misfire, Torque has Bank 1 sensor 1-4 and bank 2 sensor 1-4 as possible options. I should have a pre-cat and post-cat sensor, so why am I not reading a second one?

Just to clarify, valve adjustments aren't a thing on this generation of EJ25 with hydraulic lifters right? Unless it was done really horribly by the headgasket guy?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
TPS readings never go the full range; 0 and 100% are considered error states.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Interesting, on my truck (which is '95 GM technology) the TPS zeroes itself when it's off. So at idle it reads as 0%. If 0 an 100% are error states, is this at least a normal TPS range?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
*Probably only applies to OBD2 vehicles

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Whelp, Subaru gutted the Forester. 176hp engine with CVT is the singular available drivetrain.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, Subaru gutted the Forester. 176hp engine with CVT is the singular available drivetrain.

No more XT?!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nope. That was known for awhile but everyone was hoping that the "Sport" model was going to be a rebranding of it. NOPE, just an appearance package.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's also a lot bigger now.

Seems weird to encroach on their (own) newly created Ascent market space.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deceptor101 posted:

So, the Torque app can only find one O2 sensor to read. Any of the other ones don't show any reading at all. Here are some shots after revving it while parked:

But if there's supposed to be another one, it's not reading at all? I feel like that would throw a code of it's own right?

I also noticed that the throttle position seems to be hosed:

At idle fully warmed up:

Freeway driving, no throttle:

Freeway Driving full throttle:

From what I can tell on RockAuto, these cars don't have a throttle position sensor, but they're surely getting the information from somewhere. I'm not sure if that's related to my misfire, but it doesn't seem good. Regarding the misfire, Torque has Bank 1 sensor 1-4 and bank 2 sensor 1-4 as possible options. I should have a pre-cat and post-cat sensor, so why am I not reading a second one?

Just to clarify, valve adjustments aren't a thing on this generation of EJ25 with hydraulic lifters right? Unless it was done really horribly by the headgasket guy?

Do you have another OBD2 tool you can use? I'm no expert, but uh, I'm pretty sure you have both a pre and post-cat sensor. That's what the pre-cat should look like, but isn't sensor2 the post-cat sensor? Maybe it's called an A/F mix sensor?

What codes are you getting for your misfire?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's also a lot bigger now.

Seems weird to encroach on their (own) newly created Ascent market space.
They really don't like fun 5 doors now for some reason.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Subaru as a company seems to be pretty well over "fun" these days.

Safety and "love" apparently sell better.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I’ll just hold on to my XT’s for a while then...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Discontinue the 3.6r Outback and let me sell mine for a profit

DO IT

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Guinness posted:

Subaru as a company seems to be pretty well over "fun" these days.

Safety and "love" apparently sell better.

saved me 12k

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My interpretation is they're stuck wondering what to do about looming fuel economy requirements.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

builds character posted:

Do you have another OBD2 tool you can use? I'm no expert, but uh, I'm pretty sure you have both a pre and post-cat sensor. That's what the pre-cat should look like, but isn't sensor2 the post-cat sensor? Maybe it's called an A/F mix sensor?

What codes are you getting for your misfire?

The reader didn't seem to have anything else I could scan, but I can plug it in again and check.

P0301, p0302, P0304 Cylinder 1,2, 4 misfire detected.

I don't have another tool on me, but I think Oreilly will loan them out now. Unfortunately I disconnected the battery as the driver's headlight was out (it's super in the way) and the codes haven't come back in the 9 mile drive to work. I'll see if i can get it to come back and then scan with a better tool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

My interpretation is they're stuck wondering what to do about looming fuel economy requirements.

Eyesight, I think. Probably costs a mint to rework it enough for a manual transmission.

I don't think any automaker offers the collision avoidance stuff with a manual other than Honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Eyesight, I think. Probably costs a mint to rework it enough for a manual transmission.

I don't think any automaker offers the collision avoidance stuff with a manual other than Honda.

I'm just going to guess every european automaker but maybe mbz in europe that offers such a system.