Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm lesbian and butts are ftw. you will never move me on this position and i'll never back donw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm gonna gently caress noctis lucis caelum

and prompto too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I'm gonna gently caress noctis lucis caelum

and prompto too

I don't know what people see in Prompto.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

chumbler posted:

he's cute and he takes (some) good pictures, he'd be a good travel/vacation boyfriend

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

i'm lesbian and butts are ftw. you will never move me on this position and i'll never back donw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

*clears throat*

hes kind of like male kirika

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the "thirsty" descriptor as well because to me saying i'm thirsty isn't really the same as saying i want to gently caress [this person]. it's more an abstract appreciation for something horny in nature.

also prompto is a good boy and I love when he takes boyfriend selfies with noctis

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Prompto is too happy for our modern day society but heck...you know what...he's actually really good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

scene: a car on a rural highway

Noct: *brooding about how his entire family is dead*

Prompto: dude that's a cool place I want to go take a picture

Noct: sure!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Promoto has a lot of pathos cause hes a normal dude surrounded by knights and royalty and desperate to be funny and liked because he has a deep seated complex that his friends are going to get tired of him and he'll be left with nothing except memories.

Hes da bes.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Everything Burrito posted:

I like the "thirsty" descriptor as well because to me saying i'm thirsty isn't really the same as saying i want to gently caress [this person]. it's more an abstract appreciation for something horny in nature.

also prompto is a good boy and I love when he takes boyfriend selfies with noctis

You start out in 1997 saying "horny, horny, horny". But by 2015 that hurts you, backfires. So you start talking about thirst, best girl, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ignis can cook and has the most useful skill in the game, so he's the best.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Btw burrito I totally agree with you. You can, for instance, describe Takagi-san as 'thirsty' for Nishkata, where it would he gross to call her horny for him.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel posted:

wow, the keijo champ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love girls with big muscles thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Eela6 posted:

You start out in 1997 saying "horny, horny, horny". But by 2015 that hurts you, backfires. So you start talking about thirst, best girl, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract.

That is an unusual reference but I appreciate it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Eela6 posted:

Messed up ref but I love it :greenangel:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Agronox posted:

*edits your post to go after mine*

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Eela6 posted:

Btw burrito I totally agree with you. You can, for instance, describe Takagi-san as 'thirsty' for Nishkata, where it would he gross to call her horny for him.

so its a code word

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno about using it as coding for horny maybe it actually is

i'm just thinking about my own perception of it right now, because literally saying "i want to gently caress [some anime character]" is kind of uncomfortable for me because I literally do not want to gently caress them but might want to be able to appreciate sexual depictions of that character or person without getting that far into things

like thirsty to me is a milder level of horny than 'i'm totes jerking it to this pic right now' but maybe i'm misunderstanding the general use :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'thirsty' reads to me as more desperate for attention/affection from that person

that said i still wouldnt use it to describe little kids

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im thirsty for ignis with his hair down

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like this song is appropriate for this conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udB6GBGI0vA

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

im thirsty for ignis with his hair down

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sorry perverts, the only thing I'm "thirsty" for is an ice old American beer.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

sorry perverts, the only thing I'm "thirsty" for is an ice old American beer.

How old is ice

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

How old is ice

Depends, are we discussing Antarctic Ice

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Eela6 posted:

:agreed:

Not to say that Western stuff doesn't sexualize or objectify characters - of course it does! But a lot of anime will sneak in a panty shot or whatever in a scene that's not even supposed to be funny or sexy "as a bonus" in a way that totally ruins the intent of the scene, and that sucks (and similar stuff sucks in Western media too).

I mean, ymmv on this stuff. I love a lot of very fanservicey anime, but I think it's fair to say 'this is gross' sometimes.

Yeah I was more commenting on how like 70% of anime try and sneak that poo poo in and how odd it is that that specific trope is so common that people find it notable and refreshing when an anime doesn't have it. Like a director actually having to fight his own staff to stop them from slipping pantyshots into an anime (about 16 year old girls) really speaks of how expected its become.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hmmm, oh hey, how about that Spring 2018 Season, eh?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nephthys posted:

Yeah I was more commenting on how like 70% of anime try and sneak that poo poo in and how odd it is that that specific trope is so common that people find it notable and refreshing when an anime doesn't have it. Like a director actually having to fight his own staff to stop them from slipping pantyshots into an anime (about 16 year old girls) really speaks of how expected its become.

i'm crunching the numbers and no.

in fact i think you'd be hard-pressed to find any series from last season that has a 'fanservice' pantyshot. slow start has panties when the girls are having extended conversations about panties because they're gay. fate extra has panties because nero just shows them to everyone. citrus has underwear because it's a show about thirsty lesbians and they're gay.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's really hosed up that they hide this from you

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:ohdear:

I actually had to stop playing when the plot got all heavy because it was making me feel so bad for him so I never have finished the game, but will probably go back to it once I'm tired of monhun. I got botw right around that time too and it consumed all my gaming time so it's about time to head back to my boys.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

in fact i think you'd be hard-pressed to find any series from last season that has a 'fanservice' pantyshot. slow start has panties when the girls are having extended conversations about panties because they're gay. fate extra has panties because nero just shows them to everyone. citrus has underwear because it's a show about thirsty lesbians and they're gay.

Killing Bites

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Everything Burrito posted:

:ohdear:

I actually had to stop playing when the plot got all heavy because it was making me feel so bad for him so I never have finished the game, but will probably go back to it once I'm tired of monhun. I got botw right around that time too and it consumed all my gaming time so it's about time to head back to my boys.
I'm playing it for the first time and Prompto keeps taking gay photos of Iggy and Noctis together and I love it but also I feel Ignis deserves someone who he doesn't have to Mom constantly

It's a good game

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Julias posted:

Killing Bites

I wouldn't call that tone-breaking though, lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Julias posted:

Killing Bites

is it really a panty shot when the characters just wear panties and crop tops 95% of the time as normal clothes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway i think the prevalence of the pantyshot/fanservice thing is probably exaggerated but i care enough about my free time to not waste it on crunching numbers. certainly i can say i haven't come across unexpected fanservice stuff in most shows i've watched recently, because that sort of thing seems pretty siloed in certain genres or tones of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Space Flower posted:

This problem was way more a thing in the 90’s IMO. I’m rewatching Full Metal Panic and drat do they shove in a ton of fan service that really didn’t need to be there.

These days? It’s definitely still a thing, but nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

• Locked thread