Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man i totally thought doc mitchell had bare arms in that thumbnail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

man i totally thought doc mitchell had bare arms in that thumbnail

Please look forward to my Buff Doc Mitchell mod

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

IIRC there's an issue with Bethesda's modular engine where items have dynamic itemID's depending on where in the load order they are placed, making it difficult for other ESP's to reference them.

Sort of, but only for objects that are not uniquely handplaced. Every 'type' of object has a base ID, and then individual objects have reference IDs. For things that just randomly spawn in drawers or bodies or whatever, those are generated as needed. For handplaced objects however, they are always the same. Here's a link. But yeah, every object that is a set, guaranteed spawn in the game has a predefined ref ID, so you can always know what that is and reference it. It's why if you look a unique object up on the wiki it will always have a ref ID listed if the page is complete.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
More like Doc Mitchswole amirite

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Swole-butt.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Bread Pudding posted:

the image is the Lucky 38.

Doc’s huge arms aside this just blew my tiny mind. I’ve never been able to see anything in that smudge before, but it’s so clear now, even more than two bears high firing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
He’s thick.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
This might be a stretch (like doc's doing with his big arms), but the possible answers seem to reinforce the lucky 38 interpretation.

"A light in the darkness" - how House views himself.
"A bearded man" - how House presents himself.
"A mushroom cloud" - House's past and what he partially prevented.
"A head on a pillow" - It's where House sleeps, and maybe a commentary on his future success being a dream.

Or maybe sometimes two bears high-fiving is just two bears high-fiving.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
House isn't bearded?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the first time I saw it I saw two nuns playing pattycake. High-fiving bears don't fill the whole pane.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Improbable Lobster posted:

House isn't bearded?

I think he has a beard or unkempt scruff when you pull him out of his tube. But that's just splitting hairs i suppose.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He has a moustache which is a type of beard.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm not clear on what House represents in the East vs West metaphor thing F:NV has going.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The unaligned movement.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Native societies destroyed by Manifest Destiny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not clear on what House represents in the East vs West metaphor thing F:NV has going.

And indictment of great man theory.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bitcoin

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Capitalism and self preservation

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He represents the fact that this is a crazy sci fi setting.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
He represents the TV show House

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he represents your domicile, obviously

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

If the NCR is the federal government, House is unbridled capitalism from the wild west days being pushed out by regulation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

If the NCR is the federal government, House is unbridled capitalism from the wild west days being pushed out by regulation.

Denial is a hell of a drug.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The house always wins imho

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
not if I'm playing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He's a snowglobe

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
He's Howard Hughes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The actual theme of New Vegas is that we can't linger in the past and have to move on with our lives. It's a theme carried in every single companion storyline as well as the DLCs. The tragedy of House is the man is a futurist who time forgot. He has principles that are decent, but in the end he'll always just be an autocrat trying to recreate a long dead society. He doesn't understand how similar he is to Caesar.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
caesar isnt trying to bring back some dead society. hes trying to eradicate all old culture and replace it with his own. house on the other hand doesent even care about culture, he just wants to get back to science and industry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
House cannot envision a world without himself at the top. The only rebuttal he gives to you questioning his susceptibility to corruption is "My judgment." He only trusts himself to do the correct thing, and since he's obviously right, he has a hard time seeing when someone is about to betray him. Because how could someone be stupid enough to not see how right he is?

Caesar on the other hand absolutely is aware of his limitations, which is why he's secretly so desperate to conquer New Vegas and the NCR. He knows he's mortal and he's been suffering from a tumour which is impeding his judgment, so he wants to fast track the conquest and achieve his synthesis before the Legion collapses into infighting that would result from his death. He needs the social change to occur within his lifetime, because his immediate successor would run the Legion's "culture" into the ground in favour of bloodshed.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

House cannot envision a world without himself at the top.

Yeah he can. He saw it destroy itself in nuclear fire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Byzantine posted:

Yeah he can. He saw it destroy itself in nuclear fire.

Even then he figures if other people weren't as stupid and just saw how he was right, then things never would have happened as badly. It's someone else's fault the platinum chip was delayed in getting to him. He has no patience for human fallibility and it's always everyone else's fault.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Discendo Vox posted:

Capitalism, in a super unsubtle way. He's basically the protagonist of an Ayn Rand novel, and much like Ayn Rand herself he is an out of touch ghoul with a disdain for poor people and borderline sociopathic tendencies.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Timeless Appeal posted:

The actual theme of New Vegas is that we can't linger in the past and have to move on with our lives. It's a theme carried in every single companion storyline as well as the DLCs. The tragedy of House is the man is a futurist who time forgot. He has principles that are decent, but in the end he'll always just be an autocrat trying to recreate a long dead society. He doesn't understand how similar he is to Caesar.

yea

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I appreciate these different responses, and it's interesting how very different they are. I think Timeless Appeal and Arcsquad12's explanation makes the most sense. While House as unaligned nations or first nations makes a degree of sense due to the conglomeration of tribes under him, and his independence, House as the past (in contrast to the Independent ending's future) makes the most sense to me, as House's ideology adheres to old world tech and beliefs, the game's narration emphasizes House's old world role, and NV's alignments don't quite match the real third world despite the clear resource wars metaphor that's running through things. jk he's Satoshi, deliver his Platinum BTC

I always align myself with House or the NCR because although their ideologies might be flawed, both of their approaches to things produce way less death and chaos than the Legion - and the independent ending seems a) oddly detached from the potential suffering it can cause, b) annoyingly fanfiction-y, and c) incomplete due to all the production cuts. Plus House consistently does seem like he's right a good 99% of the time.

Now, what does Fisto represent?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 15, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I don't think that House, a white man that used his robot army to force the local tribes to conform to his vision of the past, is a very good person

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't think that House, a white man that used his robot army to force the local tribes to conform to his vision of the past, is a very good person

Poor cannibals, why couldn't mean ol whitey leave them be

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

especially when compared to the unequivocally good character, ________

the answer is Rex

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

especially when compared to the unequivocally good character, ________

the answer is Rex

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

He didnt force anything. He gave them an offer and if they didnt like it they could leave. Which the khans for example did. And its not like they doing it because he loves the past, they are doing the pretending to get in tourists. He isnt telling them to love it, hes telling them to do it because its a job.