Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There are also some setups where you arrange a series of shorter fences and a moderately high fence spaced such that the deer can't get into the stride they need to really jump the last fence.

There really is no substitute for a good fence when it comes to deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I used this (it was on sale for 20$ when I bought it) to keep cats and deer off my garden. It actually worked, but since I went so cheap it was leaking and broken by the end of the summer. However, even now in winter the neighborhood cats give my yard a wide berth.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Does anyone have any good deer repellent tips?

Being surrounded by woods on three sides, I've never been able to grow anything edible that wasn't in a container right next to the house without everything getting eaten by the same drat family of deer, but I've had enough. I'm having a proper garden this year, dear or not. My plan right now is to interplant strong smelling herbs and plants around my vegetables, sprinkle cayenne powder around the borders, and I've got a tip from a farming cousin that deer cannot stand the smell of Irish Spring soap, so I'm going to put some bars in cheesecloth and hang them from tree branches. The neighbor also has an outdoor dog fenced in right next to my prospective garden, so I'm hoping that will help. Still, since deer are utter bastards and will probably walk right up and eat everything anyway, I'd like to have as many anti deer mesures as possible.

If a sufficient fence is too much hassle you could give one of those motion-activated sprinkers a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2WFy9OFqY

Reviews indicate they seem to work at least to some degree (depending on what's eating your stuff) even if they don't offer complete protection. You can put them on a hose timer so you don't get sprayed when you go work in the garden during the day.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
The fishing line fence trick worked for a coworker of mine (I don't have deer problems myself).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Working fruit and veg planner/calendar! (remember to set your location on the website) https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/calendar-veg-personalised.php

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

learnincurve posted:

Working fruit and veg planner/calendar! (remember to set your location on the website) https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/calendar-veg-personalised.php

That's awesome. I might email to get a couple of Aussie places included.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I like how they have three whole US states on there

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
US is new, if your area isn’t included yet them email or Facebook them :) in the short term if your US zone matches the UK zone then add Birmingham as your town.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

learnincurve posted:

This is super useful thanks! I've been trying to figure it out with the farmer's almanac, but they were wrong by about three weeks last year. So it's good that I already put my tomatoes and peppers in to start, but I'm apparently behind on the peppers. :shrug:

I learned the hard way last year to probably try to do things with a little research instead of just trying to start things and failing miserably. Ended up with about two dozen radishes and some mixed lettuce and everything else decided that I hadn't taken good care of it and decided to die slowly.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
I just want to plug a local podcast, they're half decent and focused on growing in cold climates.

https://sagegarden.ca/pages/the-grow-guide-podcast

Hell, while I'm at it please check out

https://www.theruminant.ca

A fantastic podcast that is more oriented towards earning a living through farming or market gardening.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
If anyone in the US is in a temperate or subtropical zone, I highly recommend yellow pear and black cherry tomatoes - both have amazing and unique flavours. Get them in early, though. It took a long time for mine to set fruit and ripen despite near ideal conditions.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Lolie posted:

If anyone in the US is in a temperate or subtropical zone, I highly recommend yellow pear and black cherry tomatoes - both have amazing and unique flavours. Get them in early, though. It took a long time for mine to set fruit and ripen despite near ideal conditions.

That's funny, those are my top two favorites (in reverse order)! I got my favorite strain of chocolate cherry from Seed Saver's where the tomatoes had a distinct earthy flavor. I got the same variety from Botanical Interest last year and it tasted like just another super sweet cherry tomato to me. I swear they were lighter in color than I recall, too. I really should be saving more seeds even though it's tough to get tomatoes to grow true next year.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Shame Boner posted:

I really should be saving more seeds even though it's tough to get tomatoes to grow true next year.

Can you elaborate on that last idea? I had an indeterminate heirloom cherry tomato plant that I managed to harvest about two dozen ripe tomatoes from before low temperatures and lack of water killed the plant. By growing true, are you referring to cross pollination affecting the fruit seeds, or are there other environmental factors that indicate it'll be an off year for the Nightshades?

Asking on behalf of my companion peppers that are still in the seedling stage (4-5 sets of true leaves, about a dozen C. annuum and one surviving C. baccatum var "Peach Gum Tiger").

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Can you elaborate on that last idea? I had an indeterminate heirloom cherry tomato plant that I managed to harvest about two dozen ripe tomatoes from before low temperatures and lack of water killed the plant. By growing true, are you referring to cross pollination affecting the fruit seeds, or are there other environmental factors that indicate it'll be an off year for the Nightshades?

Asking on behalf of my companion peppers that are still in the seedling stage (4-5 sets of true leaves, about a dozen C. annuum and one surviving C. baccatum var "Peach Gum Tiger").

I was just referring to cross-pollination, though environmental factors play a role in that as well. Supposedly cross pollination rates are low for tomatoes; but in my garden, my volunteers are seemingly always crosses. I have had some pretty cool varieties like an orange, elongated one with the texture and sweetness of a yellow pear tomato.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Incoming bragpost...

So my wife and I own a house (in North Carolina) now and we're doing gardening things. We inherited some mediocre raised beds in the backyard, and dropped some stuff in the small one (the larger one is probably going to get torn up). But we had that burning desire to do more...soooo...

She is doing the planting and I am doing the backbreaking labor (seriously, removing grass is such a pain...) but look, look what we have accomplished this weekend:

Three 4x8' beds! They're pine, not cedar, so they'll probably only last a couple years, at which point we'll maybe curse our past selves and in any event replace them with something else once they're no longer functional.

Also the 2.5 cubic yards of dirt we got was a bit extra so we tilled up some of the horrific bare patch in our lawn and made another plot:

Note the fantastic pound-in edging and vaguely trapezoidal shape. We are avant-garde-eners. Or something.

Anyway, onions and broccoli and radishes are in. Peppers and pumpkins and zucchini and a bunch of other stuff are going in next weekend when my mother-in-law, the Head Gardener, comes to visit.

We're excited.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 18, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

overdesigned posted:

We're excited.

Looks awesome! I'm excited for y'all as well. Keep us updated!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
nice

Lawns are useless and over rated, veg beds are a far more sensible use of the space imo.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want one of those really messy front yards full of vegetable beds and wild flowers. I crave neighborhood resentment.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I want one of those really messy front yards full of vegetable beds and wild flowers. I crave neighborhood resentment.

I just expanded my beds in the front yard every year until there was no lawn left. Then I moved. Time to destroy a new lawn!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I put a 6x8 greenhouse base in my back garden and turned it into a veg patch. :D

Considering growing cauliflower in my flower borders and seeing if anyone picks up on it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

I just expanded my beds in the front yard every year until there was no lawn left. Then I moved. Time to destroy a new lawn!

I'm sure the new owners fretted and obsessed over returning it to a perfect green rectangle that will never be touched but will consume massive amounts of resources for no good reason.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hello! Garden noob. I have started tomato and pepper seeds indoors. I am going to use grow bags. I plan on using 5:1:1(pine bark, perlite, spag peat) for the container soil. I've noticed on forums that when people talk about mixing up soil they measure it in gallons. But from what I can gather, a 5 gallon grow bag is smaller than a 5 gallon bucket. So if they say they are mixing up 40 gallons of soil... do you think they are talking about 8 x an actual 5 gallon bucket?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Lolie posted:

I read the thread from the beginning and am looking forward to posting this season! I live in Seattle (8b) and do yellow pears every year. They do very well here. I need to start some black cherries, though. Those sound delicious.

I've kept a garden for the past few years, but I'm stuck renting so it's been mostly container-based (I think I'm going to give simple SIP buckets a try this year). I recently moved into a new place with a relatively steep hill facing west. I'd terrace it if I owned the place, but I think SIP buckets are my best and cheapest option.

Come on, spring!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do you have a link to a guide to doing a SIP bucket with materials list and poo poo?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

do you have a link to a guide to doing a SIP bucket with materials list and poo poo?

This one is pretty good. I don't think the bit about the plastic sheet and fertilizer are 100% necessary, though, just one way to do it.

SIP is a pretty simple concept that works with any containers that can stack with space left at the bottom. 18 gallon Rubbermaid bins work well if you want to scale up.You might want to do some light Google research; there's a lot of information out there, and even simple plans in GIS.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Does anyone have a beginners guide for New England?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Mooseontheloose posted:

Does anyone have a beginners guide for New England?

I live in Rhode Island. Most herbs grow fine here, sage, oregano and mint all die and grow back in the spring. Generally soil is more acidic here from what I've read. According to grow charts May 10th is a safe last frost date.

I transplanted my broad beans and peas out last week. About half died of cold.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 29, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm thinking about what I should put in pots this year any suggestions?
There's still snow on the ground though. :sigh:
I'm up in North West NJ and I'm thinking of getting some stuff in a week or so.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Mint!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Don't forget to put a tray under the pot so it doesn't escape via roots!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Speaking of mint, it's super easy to clone. I bought some fresh mint at Safeway, made a fresh cut, and put it in a small cup of water. You'll see roots in 2-3 weeks and all you have to do is leave it alone.

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't forget to put a tray under the pot so it doesn't escape via roots!

Wisdom.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I grew mint last year and it didn't do so well :(

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was honestly shocked

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah I've never had much luck with it either. I may try it again this year to use in cocktails and Indian food.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mint does terrible in pots.

It is a long con to get you to disbelieve all the people saying it takes over and put it into the ground.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Howdy folks!

I'm dealing with a headache-inducing aphid issue in my greenhouse; introduced some of those parasitic wasps a week ago but obviously it will take longer than that to have any effect. Getting some ladybugs to assist for the time being, but should I reintroduce more wasps in a week or two? I have some flowering plants so they have something to eat.

Also in regards to mint plants, there used to be one mint plant in my front yard (introduced by the previous owner,) now there are about 10. Smells great though, think it's a spearmint sort of thing.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Shifty Pony posted:

It is a long con to get you to disbelieve all the people saying it takes over and put it into the ground.

I have a plastic planter with poor/slow drainage that I flood occasionally and it just freaking thrived last year.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oh wow this thread exists

of course it does

odd problem:

I have a little herb garden out in front of my house, replacing a spot where the plants died, so the HOA won't get too mad at me.

I planted rosemary, sage, oregano, and thyme, and mulched it with pine bark.

Unfortunately, the sage and rosemary died (in a sort of weird way that might have been from disease -- the central parts withered overnight, then the rot / wither spread; could also have been overwatering due to heavy rains).

I've tried replanting more sage and rosemary but they died again.

Thoughts on alternate plants I can plant there?

I'm in zone 8a and the spot in question is just about the only "full sun" spot I have, but maximum size is a small hedge or else the HoA will get angry at me..

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shifty Pony posted:

I've never had trouble growing mint in pots. I have a little tower of terra cotta pots threaded on an iron dowel and I plant mint every year and it always grows gangbusters (then dies over the winter when I forget to water it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oh wow this thread exists

of course it does

odd problem:

I have a little herb garden out in front of my house, replacing a spot where the plants died, so the HOA won't get too mad at me.

I planted rosemary, sage, oregano, and thyme, and mulched it with pine bark.

Unfortunately, the sage and rosemary died (in a sort of weird way that might have been from disease -- the central parts withered overnight, then the rot / wither spread; could also have been overwatering due to heavy rains).

I've tried replanting more sage and rosemary but they died again.

Thoughts on alternate plants I can plant there?

I'm in zone 8a and the spot in question is just about the only "full sun" spot I have, but maximum size is a small hedge or else the HoA will get angry at me..

Have you considered blueberries? You can make an actual small hedge. They need acidic soil, and better drainage than it sounds like you have though. You'll probably have to amend your soil somehow regardless of what you decide on. A soil test would also help rule out some problems.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 29, 2018