Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Fine dining/"modern cuisine" is gimmicky bullshit. There is nothing wrong with classics from the 80s despite how gordon ramsay/food judges in general act like you served them a can of dog food when you present it to them. Fancy "plating" is overrated and all that should matter is the taste. You do not "eat with your eyes", you eat with your mouth.

That's not to say that modern food can't be good, it's just overly pretentious and over priced. Innovation in food is good but if you can execute some classic food well it's nothing to turn your nose up about.

I feel like a lot of that is just the result of people trying to one up each other constantly.

But yeah...give me a huge rear end bowl of haluski over a sauce design around a bite of cheese that looks pretty any day. I still remember the day in college when they had haluski at lunch. Everybody else just looked at it and kept on walking. I knew what it was and was luck "loving RIGHT I'M GOING TO EAT ALL OF THAT." Everybody else thought I was insane except the people that I convinced to try it.

Haluski might not be a pretty food but sweet baby Jesus is it some of the tastiest stuff that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not much to base an opinion on, much less an unpopular one, but I'm beginning to have some negative opinions on service dogs and/or the people who own them.

It's a small-as-hell sample group (a total of three incidents, one today), but three times I (very politely) asked someone with a service dog if they could choose a seat that isn't right next to me. Three times I explained that I'm very allergic to dogs, that there's a bunch of other seats in the building. Three times they looked at me like I heiled some fuckin' Hitler their way for it.

You'd think people with their own little problems getting through life would understand other's. I just don't want my damned lungs seizing up!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gimmicky hip restaurants are almost always a joke, trying to cover up mediocre food with buzzwords and plating to justify their overpricing/ego. Even if it's good there are plenty of non pretentious restaurants serving good food that isn't overpriced and embarrassingly corny.

That said a nice looking plate of food adds to the experience. I even always try to do it at home because it takes an extra 10 seconds and makes the meal I just cooked seem more exciting.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The inspiration behind my annoyance with it isn't really about not liking it when food is presented well - I can appreciate a nice looking plate of food. It's only when the plating is the focus (like the aforementioned places that just put things on a shovel or in a boot) and ingredients are added more because they look good than fitting in with the dish that I think it rises to the level of "gimmicky bullshit".

Anyway in the end I don't really care and the only time it irritates me is when I'm out to eat with friends and they obsess over getting the perfect instagram picture. Just last week I was out to eat with someone who first insisted I get something different so they could get two pictures and then spent a couple minutes angling the plates and the lights trying to get the perfect picture. Meanwhile I'm sitting there trying to keep my composure thinking can we loving eat already?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Just last week I was out to eat with someone who first insisted I get something different so they could get two pictures and then spent a couple minutes angling the plates and the lights trying to get the perfect picture. Meanwhile I'm sitting there trying to keep my composure thinking can we loving eat already?

there's no way I would wait for that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People don't care nearly enough about quality anymore in terms of the products they buy. They have fallen perfectly into the 1-2 year cycle of buying the next model, and if they don't it's going to break anyway and they'll be forced to upgrade. My HP computer from 1995 still works but my laptop I bought 3 years ago just up and died with literally no options to me aside from paying hundreds to repair it when I could spend marginally more for a brand new one.

I know it's an extreme cliche but they honestly do not "make them like they used to". They make them to be disposable because that means more money, and the businesses are correct for doing what they do, but the fault lies with the consumer who doesn't demand better and allows us to be exploited.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

spent a couple minutes angling the plates and the lights trying to get the perfect picture. Meanwhile I'm sitting there trying to keep my composure thinking can we loving eat already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORMzh-vov48

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I've thought about that but one time a guy actually slapped my hand like he was scolding a child when I reached for my fork before he could take his pictures. It was a friend of a friend so I had to resist the urge to jam the fork into his neck, just out of politeness since we just met and all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The inspiration behind my annoyance with it isn't really about not liking it when food is presented well - I can appreciate a nice looking plate of food. It's only when the plating is the focus (like the aforementioned places that just put things on a shovel or in a boot) and ingredients are added more because they look good than fitting in with the dish that I think it rises to the level of "gimmicky bullshit".

Anyway in the end I don't really care and the only time it irritates me is when I'm out to eat with friends and they obsess over getting the perfect instagram picture. Just last week I was out to eat with someone who first insisted I get something different so they could get two pictures and then spent a couple minutes angling the plates and the lights trying to get the perfect picture. Meanwhile I'm sitting there trying to keep my composure thinking can we loving eat already?

I don’t usually advocate murder, but I really think you should.

I've thought about that but one time a guy actually slapped my hand like he was scolding a child when I reached for my fork before he could take his pictures. It was a friend of a friend so I had to resist the urge to jam the fork into his neck, just out of politeness since we just met and all.

In all seriousness, this is an incredibly rude thing to do and no one should have to stand for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think I've ever been out to eat with someone that's taken a picture of the food for instagram. I think I'd have to kill them if I ran into that. People on my FB feed do that and they get snoozed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

he literally argued for it being morally okay to secretly film women and masturbate to it as long as the women didn't know, why the gently caress would you want to claim him as "our creepy rear end" in anyway. jesus christ

ok hold up that i did not know

Yeah there is a difference between good plating and "we serve our chili on a tennis racket", gently caress the latter

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Mar 28, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, the anonymous confessions thread in GBS. Apparently he went onto some Goon FB group later and said he was trolling, which I do actually believe, but I still think he got what was coming to him.

I was in the thread when the whole thing played out and it was pretty gross imo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it was also a middle schooler.

I don't even read that lovely thread I just had to see why Jastiger got permabanned lol.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I didn't hate Jagister like most people did, but like most people bad enough to get run out of this shithole, if they got run out odds are they earned it with gusto.

People don't care nearly enough about quality anymore in terms of the products they buy. They have fallen perfectly into the 1-2 year cycle of buying the next model, and if they don't it's going to break anyway and they'll be forced to upgrade. My HP computer from 1995 still works but my laptop I bought 3 years ago just up and died with literally no options to me aside from paying hundreds to repair it when I could spend marginally more for a brand new one.

I know it's an extreme cliche but they honestly do not "make them like they used to". They make them to be disposable because that means more money, and the businesses are correct for doing what they do, but the fault lies with the consumer who doesn't demand better and allows us to be exploited.

I've told many people that if they want a decent laptop that will last more than 3 years without being slow they'll be paying a minimum of $700 and have to forget about things like a GPU or battery life if they want something slim/lightweight. Every single loving time they end up buying some POS from Wal-Mart for $200 and end up calling me in six months when the loving thing starts to slow down, because "it happens to all of them anyway." And god-forbid they consider refurbished.

That said a lot of people do care, but it's the classic rule "it's more expensive to be poor" rule in action. Do you have trouble saving up $750 to buy really high-quality work boots that will last 25 years? Enjoy spending $150 to buy solid-quality boots that wear out every 2!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

I've told many people that if they want a decent laptop that will last more than 3 years without being slow they'll be paying a minimum of $700
Then you're giving bad advice. I bought my laptop for less than $400 (USD) back in 2013 and it's still doing absolutely fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Then you're giving bad advice. I bought my laptop for less than $400 (USD) back in 2013 and it's still doing absolutely fine.

If all you want is a box to shitpost from and email things, sure, that would still be fine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good on you Tigs. I'm glad that worked out. Is it your primary computing device?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I have never wanted to take a picture of food and post it on the internet, but if someone you're hanging out with wants to do it then it only takes a few seconds and why the gently caress are you getting so mad at them. It's just a silly harmless hobby.

Also I'm pretty sure actual Gordon Ramsay loving hates stupid gimmicky presentation and thinks serving too little or too much food on a plate is bullshit, but his standards of what is too much or too little are probably different from yours. From what I've seen of his shows he's definitely torn apart restaurant owners for serving food on a piece of construction or whatnot.

E: Too much food meaning restaurants where a vast majority of patrons walk out with a container of leftovers or just restaurants that gently caress up the balance of cost of putting together the plate vs prices charged so they actively lose money charging reasonable rates for meals.

Ultima66 has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Mar 29, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ultima66 posted:

I have never wanted to take a picture of food and post it on the internet, but if someone you're hanging out with wants to do it then it only takes a few seconds and why the gently caress are you getting so mad at them. It's just a silly harmless hobby.

Also I'm pretty sure actual Gordon Ramsay loving hates stupid gimmicky presentation and thinks serving too little or too much food on a plate is bullshit, but his standards of what is too much or too little are probably different from yours. From what I've seen of his shows he's definitely torn apart restaurant owners for serving food on a piece of construction or whatnot.

E: Too much food meaning restaurants where a vast majority of patrons walk out with a container of leftovers or just restaurants that gently caress up the balance of cost of putting together the plate vs prices charged so they actively lose money charging reasonable rates for meals.

I don’t care how badly you want a picture it’s rude af to slap someone’s hand away from their own plate

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Her reaction tells me they have a healthy relationship and both have good senses of humor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
America should ban all semi-automatic guns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

America should ban all semi-automatic guns.

Agreed, full auto for all

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The best steak is worse than the worst fried chicken

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The best steak is worse than the worst fried chicken

Ehhhhh, I'd almost agree with you, but I've had some bad fried chicken and some real good steaks. I'd say more often than not fried chicken is better than steak though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed, full auto for all

full auto too, should be banned, as they are. America should ban all semi-auto and full-auto guns. Any form of gun control less than that won't be effective, and this way people who love guns will still get to have guns.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guy Goodbody posted:

full auto too, should be banned. America should ban all semi-auto and full-auto guns. Any form of gun control less than that won't be effective, and this way people who love guns will still get to have guns.

What happens to all the full and semi-auto guns currently in circulation?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Congrats on being cucked and taking it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but that's no fun

*empties a few mags from my expensive rear end ~~tactical rifle~~ every six months*

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What happens to all the full and semi-auto guns currently in circulation?

I imagine that the ban would be phased in. Like, for the first year or two possession would still be legal. But import, sale, or manufacture of them would be banned. During this time gun owners would tun in their guns to the government to be destroyed, and would receive fair value in return. After the turn-in period was over, then possession would become a crime. I'm not sure what the punishment should be, I guess confiscation of the gun and you have to watch those videos of the high school kids stepping over the bodies of their classmates.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's Fair Value on a product that has no buyers or sellers?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Any gun control we could conceivably pass will not actually manage to get the gun manufacturers to crank out less guns and advertise them well enough to keep them flying out of the factories. The whole industry needs to be loving destroyed and I can't see a path to that happening because of how much power they have in the political system.

Also it won't do anything about the guns a majority of rednecks own right now because they'll keep on owning those guns illegally.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Who can say, I guess gun buybacks have never been implemented successfully anywhere.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It would be based on value before the ban

Ultima66 posted:

Any gun control we could conceivably pass will not actually manage to get the gun manufacturers to crank out less guns and advertise them well enough to keep them flying out of the factories. The whole industry needs to be loving destroyed and I can't see a path to that happening because of how much power they have in the political system.

Also it won't do anything about the guns a majority of rednecks own right now because they'll keep on owning those guns illegally.

A big benefit of my ban is that it would shut down production of semi-automatic guns in the US, which would be a huge blow to the global small arms trade.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doctor Spaceman posted:

gun buybacks have never been implemented successfully anywhere.

Actually a true statement, in case it was sarcastic

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Actually a true statement, in case it was sarcastic

it worked in Australia, because those buybacks were followed by bans. They haven't worked in America, because they aren't followed by bans. My buyback plan will work, because of the ban.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guy Goodbody posted:

it worked in Australia, because those buybacks were followed by bans. They haven't worked in America, because they aren't followed by bans. My buyback plan will work, because of the ban.

I'm trying to tease apart "the gun reform worked" from "the buyback was a successful operation".

The gun reform worked because gun homicides and suicides have gone down since. The buyback was not a success because compliance was estimated at 20% and the average compensation was less than the average value of the firearm surrendered. And it cost taxpayers about $980/gun, on top of the actual money given to the surrenderers.

One tough step that the USA will have to take on its march for gun reform is to stop with the "nobody is coming for your guns", "you'll be fairly compensated for your guns" weaksauce. Go all-in baby, go door to door, toss them in the burlap sack, and your compensation is Not Going to Jail

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm trying to tease apart "the gun reform worked" from "the buyback was a successful operation".

The gun reform worked because gun homicides and suicides have gone down since. The buyback was not a success because compliance was estimated at 20% and the average compensation was less than the average value of the firearm surrendered. And it cost taxpayers about $980/gun, on top of the actual money given to the surrenderers.

One tough step that the USA will have to take on its march for gun reform is to stop with the "nobody is coming for your guns", "you'll be fairly compensated for your guns" weaksauce. Go all-in baby, go door to door, toss them in the burlap sack, and your compensation is Not Going to Jail

That's a terrible idea. sending cops door to door is just guaranteed to end up with a lot of people dead. And I would try to avoid sending people to jail, considering how hosed up and cruel Americna jails are.

20% success in an American gun buyback would take millions of guns off the streets

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The gun reform worked because gun homicides and suicides have gone down since. The buyback was not a success because compliance was estimated at 20%
Estimated by who? This study (P131) puts the estimate at 40-80%, with the best sourced figures being for Victoria which had a 70% success rate in getting people to hand in registered prohibited firearms (it also picked up a significant number of unregistered guns).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Estimated by who? This study (P131) puts the estimate at 40-80%, with the best sourced figures being for Victoria which had a 70% success rate in getting people to hand in registered prohibited firearms (it also picked up a significant number of unregistered guns).

Dude if you googled it, you know drat well that there's a study to support any number from -69% to +420% change in gun crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dude if you googled it, you know drat well that there's a study to support any number from -69% to +420% change in gun crimes
I googled it because the success of the program is widely accepted idea here in Australia but I wanted an actual figure with a source rather than random bullshit pulled out of my arse.