Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

I think helping the poor is a good thing to do, and that it enacts the virtue of charity. I don't think it's the point of the world, or of the cosmos, and I don't think I hate the poor if I say that.

There are plenty of good things to do that aren't the point and end goal of the universe. The beatitudes say that you will be blessed if you do these things. The point of the world isn't visiting the sick, either.

the beatitudes aren't blessings for those who help the poor, they're blessings for those who are poor. it's an important distinction

the point of our world isn't something Christianity really gets into though, I agree. we see in, e.g. the parable of the rich young ruler that Christianity is about personal transformation rather than something like political activism. if that leads to political activism on behalf of the poor then that's fine but...it's more about you and what you do rather than a call for social justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

the beatitudes aren't blessings for those who help the poor, they're blessings for those who are poor. it's an important distinction

the point of our world isn't something Christianity really gets into though, I agree. we see in, e.g. the parable of the rich young ruler that Christianity is about personal transformation rather than something like political activism. if that leads to political activism on behalf of the poor then that's fine but...it's more about you and what you do rather than a call for social justice.

would you believe i confused the beatitudes with the seven corporal works of mercy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i am not feeling great
about a decade ago we thought my mom had cancer. the tumor was HUGE. i spent that week flipping my poo poo, eating out because every time i tried to cook i just sort of stood there wondering why everything was so heavy now, and watching disaster movies. I had this hunger to see other people coping with catastrophe so disaster movies it was. Asteroids, huge waves, volcanoes under LA. Deep Impact and suchlike was the only thing that helped emotionally.

anyway it turned out it was benign.

Keep on keeping on.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

penance up front, party in the back

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the virgin roman tonsure and the chad celtic tonsure

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I kind of like the tonsure. it looks neat.

Ursula Le Goon
Jan 3, 2013

i just finished reading a short summary of aquinas' work and am really interested in any kind of theological input, but especially liberation theology and the like (mostly because it sounds like something up my lane). i'd like something that's noob-friendly but still treats the subject with some kind of respect. any recs?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
god of the oppressed by james hal cone is a foundational text for black liberation theology and is one of the best works of nonfiction writing i have ever read. cone’s writing is a genuine joy to read.

i would need some time to think of more beginner friendly texts. a lot of latin american liberation theology is highly technical, and asian liberation theology has similar issues. not that cone is less scholastic, just that his writing style makes his work more accessible while guttierez, ellacuria, and especially sobrino write in an incredibly dense academic style that you really need to be familiar with the field to follow

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's not liberation theology exactly, and it's also Mennonite as all get-out (which puts it well on the fringe, especially for this thread), but The Upside-Down Kingdom by Donald Kraybill is a good read on an Anabaptist-flavored social gospel.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'm reading up on Russian serfdom a bit, and in the process checked out a chapter on Russian peasant religious practices in a book called "The Peasant in Nineteenth-century Russia" (https://books.google.com/books?id=LlVYJaLBDMYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false)

The chapter is fascinating, I had never heard of Dukhobortsy, a very weird group called Spirit-Wrestlers

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CountFosco posted:

The chapter is fascinating, I had never heard of Dukhobortsy, a very weird group called Spirit-Wrestlers

A lot of them moved to Canada just before the turn of the 20th century to flee religious persecution, and their schism there and fight with the Canadian government was....interesting, to say the least.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TOOT BOOT posted:

'If you're born intersexed, who should you date' is another kinda hard to answer question.
if you're albanian and your body's female but your social role is male, the answer is "nobody"
http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2012/12/21/jill_peters_documenting_sworn_virgins_women_who_live_as_men_in_albania_photos.html

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/aptly_engineerd/status/978683554375917568

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
lol at breitbart

you: liberals are ruining seminary with their cultural marxism

me: yeah I fuckin wish conchita wurst taught theology, why'd you get my hopes up

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"jesus was a drag king" is literally one of the least offensive queer theologians have said about jesus, ever

a jesuit saying something like that isn't even shocking, much less a theologian at a jesuit school. like what the gently caress

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if the architecture is modern and the mass is in the vernacular, even that won't redeem it

wait till breitbart hears about..was it maximos the confessor, who thought we were all supposed to be genderqueer or something

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I want to be the priest with a really strict reading of Aquinas doing bereavement counseling

"will I see my wife again in heaven?"

"yes, my son, you will see her again in the New Jerusalem, but she will be a dude"

"oh, uh...that's weird, but c--"

"nobody wears clothes in heaven either, it's a cazwell video up there"

Caufman
May 7, 2007
"I knew it was gonna be a second coming, but this is ridiculous!"

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I'm not going to lie, I find that reading into the text of sexualization pretty offensive. Repeated uses of "water" are erotic? What?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I want to be the priest with a really strict reading of Aquinas doing bereavement counseling

"will I see my wife again in heaven?"

"yes, my son, you will see her again in the New Jerusalem, but she will be a dude"

"oh, uh...that's weird, but c--"

"nobody wears clothes in heaven either, it's a cazwell video up there"

Better Aquinas than Origen, maybe?

"Yes, and in heaven she'll have nicer curves, by which I mean she'll be a sphere. You too, come to think of it. In heaven it's pretty much all spheres, all the time. "

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CountFosco posted:

I'm not going to lie, I find that reading into the text of sexualization pretty offensive. Repeated uses of "water" are erotic? What?

can someone explain this to me, a person who is not familiar with the text

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I assume this is about the Shape of Water in some way.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think Christianity particularly needs Breitbart to come running to its defense.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/danschindel/status/977651721546563584?s=21

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I only get the Left Behind references and basically none of the others.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I only get the Left Behind references and basically none of the others.

I...cannot say the same.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I got the Veggie Tales one. I had a friend who was really into them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I am not critical of the child version of me who was specifically into the song The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything because I was into everything pirate back then.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
No Flying House references=fail!

Ok, lets see how many references I get.

Davey and Goliath was a claymation series made by the Lutherans about a boy and his talking dog who face moral dilemmas, but none of them ever have to do with the philosophical implications of intelligent talking dogs. The theme song is a kind of trippy version of A Mighty Fortress.

Bibleman is a bible themed superhero played by the guy from Charles in Charge. Not Charles, but his annoying friend.

The Pirates who Don't Do Anything are characters from Veggie Tales, a show about Christian talking fruit.

Chris, Joy, and Gizmo are characters from Superbook, a show about these kids who have a magic book that takes them through time that they only use to visit biblical events for some reason.

The Camdens are from that show about this minister and his family, which I can't remember the name of right now, except the minister was played by the guy who was Decker in Star Trek The Motion Picture and later arrested for being a pedophile.

Adventures in Odyssey is some radio drama/soap opera for kids that Charles Dobson, I think, produces, which has gone on forever at this point.

Tess, Andrew, and Monica are all angels from the show Touched by an Angel, which was pretty much Highway to Heaven, except the the Victor French character was now Della Reese, who was more likely to sing gospel and less likely than to try to eat a really big sandwich.

Those are the only ones I've got.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Hi everyone, I've got a question about the timing of the celebration of Easter I hope you can help answer.

IIUC, Jesus is held to have been crucified and died on Good Friday, and the Resurrection is then celebrated on Easter Sunday. At the same time, scripture and tradition holds that he rose on the third day after his execution. Now the Gospel of Mark gives the time of Jesus' death as the ninth hour on Friday. If I'm counting correctly, that would mean that it wasn't until the ninth hour on Monday that a full 72 hours had passed. Since that isn't how things are celebrated, when one day turns into the next must be measured differently in this regard.

Do you know when one day was considered to pass into the next, whether at the time of the Crucifixion and/or when the church(es) settled on one way to celebrate the date going forward? And do you know the current and/or historical arguments for counting in this way?

I'm really not sure how to google for the answer. Insofar as Wiki is reliable it maintains that there was some controversy about when exactly to celebrate, but that does not seem to include whether it should be Sunday or Monday after Good Friday. Given that WIki can't even agree with itself over whether Easter Sunday was an official decision at the Council of Nicaea or not, I was hoping that you could provide more credible (and accessible!) answers.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Bear in mind, it's not "three days after," but "the third day," which is inclusive. Friday is the first day, Saturday the second, Sunday the third.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

can someone explain this to me, a person who is not familiar with the text

I'm sorry, I wasn't speaking very clearly. It was in reference to this:

"Saint John’s constant references to Jesus wanting water, giving water, and leaking water “speak to Jesus’ gender indeterminacy and hence his cross-dressing and other queer desires,” Liew contends."

Now, this is what Breitbart says, so maybe they're misrepresenting Liew, but if they're not, then I find this reading of the use of water imagery to be anachronistic and isegetic.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Liew says himself that he's being intentionally transgressive in order to push back against the hyper-masculinized beer-drinkin' buddy Jesus who drives a Trans Am. Which seems to be slowly seeping in to all of Catholic men's ministry.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

Liew says himself that he's being intentionally transgressive in order to push back against the hyper-masculinized beer-drinkin' buddy Jesus who drives a Trans Am. Which seems to be slowly seeping in to all of Catholic men's ministry.

So instead of talking about why Trans Am Jesus is bad, he's just pissing off people who like Trans AM Jesus?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, can you imagine how much easier of a time St. Paul the Apostle would've had with his grand missionary journeys if Buddy Jesus had just loaned him his Trans Am?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

So instead of talking about why Trans Am Jesus is bad, he's just pissing off people who like Trans AM Jesus?

Yeah.

I don't fully agree with the method. But on the other hand, that Breitbart article has people reading a little bit of queer theology and talking about it. Which is a level of engagement that they otherwise would have not had.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yeah.

I don't fully agree with the method. But on the other hand, that Breitbart article has people reading a little bit of queer theology and talking about it. Which is a level of engagement that they otherwise would have not had.

I know nothing about queer theology, is most of it like this?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

I know nothing about queer theology, is most of it like this?

depends on what you mean by "like this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the stuff I've read never mentioned cross dressing

• Locked thread