Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

120 hours of dark souls was enough of the souls formula for me I guess. I bought all of the followups but I couldn't play any of them past 10 hours or so. The world design of dark souls elevates it above the others imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
since you said souls series I'll assume youre not counting bloodborne or else we have a problem

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

apropos to nothing posted:

since you said souls series I'll assume youre not counting bloodborne or else we have a problem

I was but that's the only one I can see myself trying again someday.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ruin sentinels are kinda cool, although individually they're boring (i assume that's why there's three of them)

the pursuer is a really good early game "big guy with big weapon" but you fight him 5 more times as a regular enemy and every other boss is essentially that as well

executioner's chariot is a cool gimmick

velstadt and looking glass knight are both pretty good "big guy big weapon" fights, but there are already so many of those

freja is pretty cool for a giant monster enemy that's still fun to fight

i've heard darklurker is fun, but i've only ever fought him once because of the pain in the rear end requirements of getting through the abyss, so gently caress that

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
i got like a third though dark souls iii when it came out and now i can't run it or have it and i'm going to play dark souls 2 tonight heres hoping its anything the same

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh yeah, in addition to an optional fight in forest, the actual boss fight on the rampart, 5 appearances in lost bastille, there is also a super secret fight with two pursuers in the big empty throne room. this has the fascinating lore implication of "what does it mean that there are two pursuers instead of one pursuer?"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like fighting pursuer repeatedly because he becomes more and more of a chump each time and it's fun to parry him.

ruin sentinels are good fun and have slow enough movesets that fighting 2 at once doesn't require kiting for ages to find openings, unlike throne watcher/defender

you're right about executioner's chariot but I don't like gimmick boss fights. I like fights that are challenging mechanically, not "figure it out and then it's easy".

I don't like freja because the only thing that makes it hard at all is the adds, and they're pretty boring.

darklurker is fine but actually getting to him is such a chore and you can only do it while in one specific covenant related to one specific kind of magic, which... sucks?? I shouldn't have to meet dark reqs just to fight a boss. I don't want to cast dark spells. nobody wants to cast ds2 dark spells.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bad metal album cover

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nobody wants to cast spells in any of these games outside of Bloodborne where it's like shooting magic bullets

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ds3 poisecast miracles with talismans are fun

e: and the kamehameha spell

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Frenz posted:

120 hours of dark souls was enough of the souls formula for me I guess. I bought all of the followups but I couldn't play any of them past 10 hours or so. The world design of dark souls elevates it above the others imo.

This but Dark Soul 3.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

bad metal album cover

I hate this poo poo

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

3 was a great game but I hope whatever is next is more like bloodborne. or just more bloodborne. if they just made bloodborne dlc with new maps and trick weapons and maybe some more varied chalice stuff i would buy all of it forever

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

ruin sentinels are kinda cool, although individually they're boring (i assume that's why there's three of them)

the pursuer is a really good early game "big guy with big weapon" but you fight him 5 more times as a regular enemy and every other boss is essentially that as well

executioner's chariot is a cool gimmick

velstadt and looking glass knight are both pretty good "big guy big weapon" fights, but there are already so many of those

freja is pretty cool for a giant monster enemy that's still fun to fight

i've heard darklurker is fun, but i've only ever fought him once because of the pain in the rear end requirements of getting through the abyss, so gently caress that

darklurker and sin the dragon ar ethe only good bosses. i guess fume knight too. that's it tho

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
all the dlc bosses except for gank squad, double cats, and blue smelter demon are good. but those exceptions really suck

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

holy poo poo lmfao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark souls 3 lost me when it was anor londo again. There was nothing different it was just anor londo and a lovely boss fight at the end of it and I reflected on that and the awful poison swamp and the fact that most the bosses were just bad bloodborne bosses and I stopped playing

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Anor londo in 3 was a good twist and probably should’ve been the end and led right away to the kiln if that would still be the finale bc the stuff about the world falling to The Deep was more interesting than gathering the lords of cinder, and it makes more narrative sense to put the two contrasting ages up next to each other with the backdrop from the first game.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
3 has a good story premise but is really badly plotted, like enough to notice even though there’s so little of it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

darklurker and sin the dragon ar ethe only good bosses. i guess fume knight too. that's it tho

sinh isnt very good if you ask me cos it flies out of reach at random and theres nothing you can really do about it. those other 2 are good though. and aava pwns too. underrated bioss IMO

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i wont look down on dark souls 2 too much cos the development team involved were clearly learning on the job. the dlc was 10 times better than the main game and then they went on to make dark souls 3 (miyazaki said it was a mix of ds2 members and senior from software members but it was really basically the ds2 team and him) which was 100 times better than ds2. and the ds3 dlc was better still

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Frenz posted:

The world design of dark souls elevates it above the others imo.

So much of DS1 could have come out of a fairy tale. So much of the world and art design is perfect.

I'm excited to see how it looks remastered.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

huh posted:

So much of DS1 could have come out of a fairy tale. So much of the world and art design is perfect.

I'm excited to see how it looks remastered.

It will look like the pc version that fans had to fix after the fact

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Yes, but running it in 60 fps won't gently caress up the jumping physics in weird and specific ways that require you to exit the game and change settings in a text file in order to return to the asylum.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

It'll look like me windmill slamming a Solaire amiibo onto my Nintendo Switch whenever I want to praise the sun

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
they should make an amiibo for the diseased green guy with loads of weird spider larvae living in his flesh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

they should make an amiibo for the diseased green guy with loads of weird spider larvae living in his flesh
This would be amazing. I want toy versions of a bunch of the bosses, like a Gaping Dragon coin box or a stuffed Nito.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i forgot about skeleton chariot. thats a good fight

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

i wont look down on dark souls 2 too much cos the development team involved were clearly learning on the job. the dlc was 10 times better than the main game and then they went on to make dark souls 3 (miyazaki said it was a mix of ds2 members and senior from software members but it was really basically the ds2 team and him) which was 100 times better than ds2. and the ds3 dlc was better still

Yeah. Also I have a fondness for weird romhack feeling messy ambitious games due to a brain disease brought on by too much pc gaming as a teenager

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
even before scholar of the first sin, it really does feel like a fan game. like some teenager excitedly writing down lore ideas in their math notebook, "what if a mining town discovered the duke's archives!"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dark Souls

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Been thinking a lot about them recently

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, but running it in 60 fps won't gently caress up the jumping physics in weird and specific ways that require you to exit the game and change settings in a text file in order to return to the asylum.

all you had to do was disable 60 fps for 5 seconds by pressing a button and jump so you could get the key and go to the bird

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Big Smoke voice:

mysterious loyall X posted:

all you had to do was disable 60 fps for 5 seconds by pressing a button and jump so you could get the key and go to the bird

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

Big Smoke voice:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Big Smoke voice:

Lol

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010