Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Estraysian posted:

It is just a rename. Though I think Ves used to blacklist before the rename, which she doesn't anymore.

It is not just a rename. The lack of blacklisting is the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
But is there any method of swapping that blacklists right now other than the swaps both players get before each round?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mulligans blacklist. Swaps don't. Unless I'm forgetting something no card currently mulligans; they all swap.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

rydiafan posted:

Mulligans blacklist. Swaps don't. Unless I'm forgetting something no card currently mulligans; they all swap.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's a pity but what're you gonna do?

Incidentally, understanding how blacklisting works and why CA spies are a big deal was when I felt like I actually understood the game.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Managed to hit the 50 wins just before the deadline. I also didn't open yesterdays kegs and the three given at rank 18, so I had about a dozen in one sitting.
Managed to find Lambert legendary and a bunch of silvers. Most notably Cursed Sabrina, so I might consider making a cursed deck for fun.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Gave up the consume dream a few days ago. One Mandrake in every deck was not really a problem, but with all the SK being played Coral is very common as well. And a lot of GS decks run Muzzle for some reason. The ladder is just generally too hostile for consume at the moment even though it dominates a lot of the popular decks (outside a combination of those specific cards).

So I went back to NG Alchemy. I feel like Vesemir/Triss/Cahir/Vilgefortz is the best gold package at the moment. I thought Cahir would be risky because of Mandrake but, maybe surprisingly, it doesn't happen that often to me and you can sometimes play around it anyway. And Cahir -> Vilgefortz is hard to pass up as a R3 finisher.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Decided to really push for 21 the last few days. I got to 2290+ three times within the span of 5-6 games and failed to win my promotion game each time. I remember those games vividly.

30 games later I haven't been able to climb back up and my winrate has tanked to 56%. Gwent ladder is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Henselt was dead.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Strongly agree with anti Henselt sentiment. I've been chilling at rank 15 with not very competitive decks and keep running into Henselts.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I probably should have jumped on the Henselt bandwagon earlier. Playing a deck that can abuse the spy like Henselt or Brouver/Cleaver gives you an edge which is basically unfair. I do hope they change Dun Banners; getting punished in that manner when you're winning feels uniquely bad. But maybe they just need to remove CA spies altogether. I think they hinted at that possibility in the Reddit Q&A last week.

So, Baron or Borkh? I'm going to try Tailbot's deck first, I think. I know it was tuned for tournament play but the decks which showed up at the recent Open are all over the ladder anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Baron seems more popular, but I liked having villen. I have no idea how to win the gs matchup btw and gs looks rather popular right now.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that is one hell of a hard counter. I made a Henselt deck and queued straight into three GS players and there was no way I was beating any of them (the amount of SK on ladder has definitely increased in the last couple of days). Then I queued into two auto-wins due to opponents disconnecting upon entering the game so having almost broke even I decided to return to Alchemy.

I found a recent Superjj stream where he was playing a lot of Alchemy, and watching him play and theorycraft some deck changes really made me think about some of the stuff I was doing wrong. Deck building is a really important skill in this game and one that I don't put much thought into; I generally just take a netdeck and maybe make 1-2 meta changes and then run with it for days at a time. Also I saw him use the GwentUp stats page. I use the tracker but I didn't know they had these stat breakdowns. They're pretty interesting, especially the individual card win percentages.

I'll make another post with my thoughts on Alchemy in the current meta, but a couple of general comments from someone who has played way too much of this game recently :

1) Triss : Telekinesis is one of the few well-designed Create cards and is super strong (and is played in just about every deck I see). She's probably the most versatile gold in the game, great in any round. I expect she'll lose 1-2 points of strength in the next balance patch.

2) CA spies need to go. If you're playing against anyone with a way to tutor them (Hym/Brouver/ADC Henselt) and you don't draw yours, you're at a game-losing disadvantage, especially when those factions have ways to nullify the strength offset.

3) Assire var Anahid is my pick for best-designed card in the game. Useful in every match and rewards both simple and complex decision making like no other card.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So, NG Alchemy. I play it because it feels like any game is winnable. It has unfavorable match-ups but no real hard counters that are very popular at the moment. According to GwentUp stats it's slightly favored against Crach an Craite, currently the ladder's most ubiquitous leader, but I think those stats are combining Greatswords and Veterans since both use the same leader. According to that page Alchemy is favored over Eithne decks too, which is not my experience at all, but more on that later.

So here's my current deck. I'll go over the card choices and then some general points for the various match-ups. In general, Alchemy's strengths are a high level of disruption and efficient thinning, and its main weakness is its distinct lack of pro-active plays.

General mulligan advice : always get rid of Mahakam Ale and Mardroeme. It's fine to have one Ointment, and always keep Cantarella if you're facing Brouver/Crach/Henselt (can ditch if you've got Rainfarn).

Bronzes :

3 x Ointment, 2 x Mahakam Ale, 1 x Mardroeme : The backbone of your Alchemy economy. I've tried different combinations of these but you always need 3 x Ointment. Mardroeme is interesting and I'm not entirely sold on it yet. It will always find a target in the mid-late game but it's terrible early. It also makes a Calveit play a bit more resilient against an enemy Mandrake, albeit at the expense of tempo.

3 x Vicovaro Novice : Deck thinning and recursion. Note that if you have 1-2 in the graveyard and still have Ointments in the deck, you can chain them together to make an Ointment play worth a bit more. But usually you wish you made better use of the Ointments earlier in the game.

2 x Slave Driver : Depending upon the matchup this is one of your few pro-active plays in R1. If you're playing first and unsure what you're facing they can clear that up pretty quickly, but usually you want to know what you might get beforehand. I'd say they're generally worth 9-12 points, but they can brick (or high-roll into a game-winning advantage).

1 x Vicovaro Medic : A recent addition and I like it a lot. Bad in the mirror but great for stealing key bronzes like buffed Greatswords or Bear dudes. Needs the enemy to have a graveyard so be careful playing an early blind Joachim or Vilgefortz.

3 x Viper Witcher : I've tried varying numbers of alchemy cards in the deck but I think the sweet spot for damage vs deck jank is nine, making them a 14-point bronze. I don't think there's any important target at ten strength (a Crach into Greatsword play is nine after getting hit by a ship) but correct me if I'm wrong!

Other bronzes : Swallow is the main candidate. I tried it and it's good in R1 when playing first and all you can afford to play is a Novice, but most of the time I wished it was another Ale. Dumping ten points into a single unit is pretty risky with all the Mandrake and Schirru/Scorch floating around, but it is a nice way to keep points against Coral by putting it on one of your golds.

Silvers :

1 x Dazhbog Runestone, 1 x Black Blood, 1 x Mandrake : You have two high-roll weather clears (Vanhemar/Abaya) and some good utility and graveyard hate. Black Blood is a bad early game card but great for R2/R3 tempo/finish if you get the Ozzrel or Ghoul to eat a spy. A Nekurat -> Blood Moon is often pretty good late in a long round as most players instinctively row-stack to avoid Expired Ale.

1 x Joachim, 1 x Cantarella, 1 x Assire : Standard NG silvers, not much to say other than always be mindful of when you'll get to play first in a round so you can get the most out of Assire (returning enemy rez targets, hopefully after they've used all their tutors). Also, returning a Cantarella in an enemy graveyard is a pretty standard play and once won me the game in hilarious fashion when my opponent played a blind Vilgefortz.

Other silvers : I played Roach for the longest time because she's great tempo (four points can be the difference between getting one or two cards from your opponent in an early-round tempo play) but she does make your mulligan noticeably worse. Obviously good with Assire, but without her you can afford more aggressive enemy shuffles. The other main silver contender would be Expired Ale. It's good with Joachim and Cantarella to counter them playing around it, but it's yet another reactive play in a deck that has too many already.

Golds :

1 x Vilgefortz : Generally used after Calveit/Cahir but fine to play blind if your Medic is already gone; the deck has few bad draws (Ale/Black Blood in an early round is one). Don't be afraid to burn a Witcher if you know your top card is Ointment as you'll be able to rez it right away. Note that if Roach is your top card that's what you pull (feels bad).

1 x Cahir : Can be a dead draw if your Calveit gets Mandraked into oblivion, but you played around that, right? Usually played in R3 as a finisher, hopefully after you used Mandrake on your own Calveit (I can rarely afford to do this).

1 x Rainfarn : In the current meta I like having an extra way to ensure I get Cantarella every game, and the classic Rainfarn -> Joachim NG tempo play is still super strong.

1 x Vesemir : Pulls your good silver alchemy cards when you need them, and gives you the option of playing one twice if you used Assire beforehand. Don't always reach straight for the silver though, a clutch Ointment can sometimes be a better play.

Other golds : Triss! I used her for a long time but after watching the Superjj stream I decided to try his experiment and drop her for now (would probably replace Cahir if I put her back). I most often used her in R3 for a big finisher, sometimes with a rez chain of Novices or using an opponent's Reconnaissance. Very strong card and can easily be swapped back in. You see some Alchemy lists with Stefan or Dandelion : Poet, but I feel like they're much weaker options than any of the above.

So I was going to do some match-up advice here but this post is already way too long. I'll save it for some other time. Let me know if you have any questions or think I've said something dumb.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think CA spies need a huge nerf but I think the game is worse without them in general. 17 points would possibly still not be enough points, not sure why the devs insist on keeping them obviously undercosted right now (yes this would break wyvern shield etc but you can stop these cards from targeting disloyals).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

https://twitter.com/pawelburza/status/978635343305076737

lol

why are yall still playing dead game? I started playing Netrunner again and I'm having a blast, they finally moved on from asset spam and the game got back in touch with its roots. Even managed to get some friends who were interested in Gwent to play it with me and the response has been super positive.

everyone else seems to be waiting for mtgarena or artifact but they're both openly admitting to being gigantic money grabs that'll put hearthstone to shame so why even play digital card games at this point

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I've been curious about netrunner, I presume there isn't a digital version. I don't think anyone will ever be happy with cardgame release schedules, all you can do is get accustomed to never getting changes like hearthstone. Having said that, maybe I'll play on and off for a bit until something new happens, as I find the game a bit more boring if the ladder has no variety. Lord knows if I ever see nilfgaard spies come back I'll be ready to take a break. As far as I know, every digital card game comes down to top 4 strategies pretty quick, and there is no real solution. Thems the breaks at this point.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I havent had much time to play lately, the other day I won 4 in a row with my Henselt deck. Today I lost 4 in a row with the same deck against 3 GS decks and one alchemy nilfgaard. I lost against the alchemy deck because of a misplay, I would have won otherwise, but GS decks felt unbeatable

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Minrad posted:

lol

why are yall still playing dead game? I started playing Netrunner again and I'm having a blast, they finally moved on from asset spam and the game got back in touch with its roots. Even managed to get some friends who were interested in Gwent to play it with me and the response has been super positive.

everyone else seems to be waiting for mtgarena or artifact but they're both openly admitting to being gigantic money grabs that'll put hearthstone to shame so why even play digital card games at this point
Most digital card games have a big problem - they're all Bo1 format and when they run into any trouble they start copying mtg/consulting with MtG devs to balance their games more like magic, a game that's unplayable trash (or silly commander) in Bo1.

Gwent still seems like it could have some life left in it but they don't seem to get how important it is to do something, anything, to make the game a little interesting every month. Like imagine if they released a card you could earn for free every week, it would give you something to do during these strange content droughts.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Minrad posted:

why are yall still playing dead game?

im not, gwent isn't fun anymore. i'm waiting for the new magic thing and the dota card game

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
After seeing MTG:A and Artifact I'd rather play dead Gwent than sit around waiting for those.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

Minrad posted:

lol

Why are you still posting here or caring about what games we play? Also artifact is a tcg whereas hearthstone is a ccg

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Minrad posted:

Netrunner is good (Weyland 4eva) and I miss playing it but it was too much of a hassle to find other people to play with, and the unofficial online systems for doing so are really cumbersome. At least I can play Arkham Horror solo, and that game is an absolute masterclass in game design. FFG is experimenting with a digital version of their LotR LCG but from what I recall it changes a lot of mechanics for the worse, which kind of defeats the point in my opinion. But maybe they felt that tabletop stuff just didn't translate well into the digital realm.

I think that's the biggest issue with MTG : Arena as a game. A core part of MTG is taking actions when it's not your turn and even though the systems they have for handling that are pretty smooth it doesn't change the fact that the flow of the game is constantly being interrupted. I don't think there's a single digital card game that lets you act during your opponent's turn, in fact I'm pretty sure it's the main mechanical difference between digital and traditional card games.

I liked Eternal's mechanics well enough, but it's a drat ugly game and that's probably the main reason it didn't hook me. Production values matter. Hearthstone has the best UI and sound in the business, and Gwent has by far the best card art and animations. Valve have certainly sunk an enormous amount of resources into the presentation of Artifact judging from that recent reveal, and the gameplay has me intrigued, so I hope it turns out to be a good game. Its economy will be a grand experiment and I have no idea whether it will work they way they expect.

For all its problems with stagnation and questionable mechanics (Create), I think Gwent is currently the best digital card game. Or at least I find it the most rewarding to play and build decks for (and I enjoy the Witcher universe theme). It took me a long time to sour on Hearthstone even though right from the start it always felt like there was something fundamentally unsatisfying about playing it. It's like their top priority was to make the most prolific game they could, and that informed every design decision thereafter regardless of how it might constrain the gameplay. I see some of the same motivation behind Overwatch's mechanics, and I'm not sure whether it's because Blizzard feel like they have to constantly outperform their earlier efforts to stay relevant or because their corporate overlords demand the monthly active user count keeps increasing, but it has a noticeable impact on how their games feel to play. At least for me, but I guess this is getting off-topic.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Minrad posted:

lol

Netrunner owns. I havent played a game of Gwent in a few weeks, and don't expect to until probably Thronebreaker comes out, seeing as how CDPR appears satisfied enough with game balance at the moment to post things like that.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Season ends in a few hours, what does it imply? I was around for the closed-open beta switch but this one shouldn't reset your cards, right?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just means your rank will reset and you will get some end of season bonus rewards depending on your rank - kegs, scraps, portraits, etc. You will keep Pro Ladder access as well, if you qualified, as far as I understand it, I have not bothered getting high enough for that.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Hoo boy, pro ranked requires you to master at least four different factions, i'm not even near a complete deck of Northern realms cards to offset eventual Henselt nerfs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

People are just not playing this game much right now... I had an mmr in the 3900s and still placed top 10000 (barely). This season is going to be super dead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Also people are terrible at arena right now. It's kind of astonishing. If you ever want the master mirror title it'll never be easier. This tier list is really good if you want some help drafting:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XhL3IPst_4KP4I5mqVLLR6tMA9u85QMTkROMuc5r0aw/edit?usp=sharing

Other advice:
Best use of shupe is Hunter in round 3.
Never draft dun banner.
If you lack weather clears try to at least draft carryover so that you can play round 1 on blue out.
If you draft fewer than 6 golds or more than 12 bronzes just break contract and reroll, it's not worth the stress.
Try to always have an answer for sabbath in hand.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm a loving idiot.

Arena game round one. Opponent dry passes. I figure "Hey, I'll get a gold out there so my Renew in hand won't brick." and play Royal Decree into Schirru.

:negative:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I hope you guys are excited: no content for the next six months!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/18951/gwent-homecoming-see-whats-next-for-gwent

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, the game is officially dead for a while. There will be no new cards for at least six months as CDPR re-does the entire game (AGAIN). There will be one patch this month to add the missing premiums and one balance change in May. Then nothing until October at least.

The good news: all cards will be millable for full value in october! The bad news: Game is truly dead this time, just forget about it until they re-release it.

I was sort of expecting this so I'm not really surprised, I'd thought it would happen in September at the latest though.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I'm taking a break for 6 months for sure.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The game was already dead to me in its current state, so this changes nothing really, except that the game might be playable again after six months. Who knows! Developers being willing to shut a game down (more or less) and re-release it is a rare thing that usually has good results (Overwatch, Final Fantasy XIV) so I guess we'll see if it pays off.

Either way, it looks like the project is under new leadership (which people were suspecting happened shortly after the MWU) so I guess this confirms that.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Where were you when gwent died

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm glad they care enough about their brand to do this (and have the financial security for it) but it's too bad I won't be playing any Gwent for the next six months. Here's hoping some kind of beta appears for Artifact soon to fill the digital card game-shaped hole in my appetite.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kalko posted:

I'm glad they care enough about their brand to do this (and have the financial security for it) but it's too bad I won't be playing any Gwent for the next six months. Here's hoping some kind of beta appears for Artifact soon to fill the digital card game-shaped hole in my appetite.

yeah i'm hoping i'll get into the magic:arena beta soon.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm quite sad about this because Gwent was a stellar, stellar game when it released as an open beta in June of last year. I don't know how you gently caress up this hard after releasing something so good and so well received.

Re-releasing the game is the only thing they can do. I also hope the devs responsible for all the design decisions from June until now are thrown the gently caress out of this project, which seems to be the case.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

botany posted:

yeah i'm hoping i'll get into the magic:arena beta soon.

Yeah same. Play some mtga while I wait for Artifact or maybe for gwent to be good again would be nice

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Having never played mtg at all, I looked into it imagining it would be similar to Gwent in complexity. Holy lol that's way too complicated for me to bother learning as an old man.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Having never played mtg at all, I looked into it imagining it would be similar to Gwent in complexity. Holy lol that's way too complicated for me to bother learning as an old man.

I'm probably similar to you. I never messed with card games before gwent. I actually only started with gwent because I got a invite into the closed beta because I owned the witcher 3 on console. Funnily enough I actually sort of hated the witcher base game and wandered around playing gwent in that game until I ran out of quests. I can't really speak on other card games with much authority but the easy to understand yet deep mechanics of gwent was really appealing. Not to mention the fact it has many unique elements and relies less on RNG than other games. When I look at stuff like hearthstone it seems like the antithesis of what I would want in a card game.

I don't even know what my point really is. Basically I think gwent should have a really huge appeal and potential based on its look, gameplay, and mechanics, and it's a shame the developers have shot themselves in the foot over and over. It appeals to people like me who don't actively look to play card games while at the same time (usually) offering deep gameplay, so if they can capitalize on that demographic by sorting themselves out in six months time I think things could be alright again.

The ways CPDR hosed up this game are numerous and well documented. The winter patch was a poo poo show but I personally think making rows pointless and more importantly removing gold immunity was a huge mistake. Those things gave the game identity and more strategy. It felt like CPFRwanted to both dumb the game down and make it more like other games to appeal to a wider base and just flat out ignore how to balance integral parts of the game because it seemed too difficult. The game right before the removal of gold immunity was probably when it was the most fun for me to play.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-Df99Ot-k&t=72s

where did it all go so wrong :smith: