Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Internet Kraken posted:

Given how long it takes to save it would probably run like garbage if there was an autosave.

This game is not well optimized!
I would rather have half hourly autosave pauses over getting really into a rhythm and whoops forgot to arbitrarily go into the menu and save and something broke and now I've lost an hours progress.

I had this happen once early on but this second one was more egregious, just went to bed and whoops I guess I died in my sleep because it never faded back in from black

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a modern game with a worse draw distance
No mans sky at launch and it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I honestly didn't notice the draw distance that much until I got a sonar. Then it was incredibly obvious, esp. in caves.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I would rather have half hourly autosave pauses over getting really into a rhythm and whoops forgot to arbitrarily go into the menu and save and something broke and now I've lost an hours progress.

I had this happen once early on but this second one was more egregious, just went to bed and whoops I guess I died in my sleep because it never faded back in from black

No mans sky at launch and it's not even close
At least Subnautica has an actual GAME attached, half off for NMS was still half too much.

But serious question. Did NMS ever have save files over 2 gigs in size each? At least my single 6 room base launch Subnautica save is only 170 megs, which is 2 gigs of improvement :shepface: Which was particularly nasty when it didn't properly self delete the appdata copy/paste of the entire game save it makes, when I had a tiny baby SSD for my OS.

NmareBfly posted:

I honestly didn't notice the draw distance that much until I got a sonar. Then it was incredibly obvious, esp. in caves.
My joke theory about why they made the Cyclops catch on fire at top speed is because the average case bad draw distance and pop-in is more notable when you are going at a reasonable speed, like say the Seamoth. Or prawn grappling.

While it was still worse previously (less cases of 'The lifepod I had a direct signal too didn't render until my Seamoth was about to crash into it). Mushroom forest for example always looking like rocky spire land for an awkward moment when I'm traveling above a snail pace. Which doesn't seem to happen to the Cyclops at standard speed. But came back when I hit full throttle and lived life on the edge ready to burn to death to shave a few seconds off my commute.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 28, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The draw distance is super noticeable when going as top Seamoth speed across that one biome with the red grass, which I did a lot because it was between my pre-Cyclops home base and the nearest table coral

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Current no mans sky is actually a pretty good game and the vehicles they added, especially the hovercraft, are fun to putz around on planets/ramp off mountains with. The story they added isn't half bad either.

Subnautica is better but it's also a curated experience rather than a procedural one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It seems that the mods recommended earlier are what makes sleeping hardlock the game, not sure which one though. Hopefully it's the map one.

edit: fuuuuuck, it's the multimod one. I wonder what in it breaks sleeping? Is it fixable?

edit: fixed it by removing the day/night length option in the mod, that was what was causing it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 29, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hopped back in to finish the game to find that my save was damaged and wouldn't load. Had to delete it and start anew. I cheated myself up to the point I was at before losing my save and from there only had about an hour of game left. Ending was pretty cool. Excited for an Arctic expansion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stupid lesson of the day #3: First time reaching the Lost River is a good time to upgrade the Cyclops' depth module... except that you can't remove it from the Cyclops to upgrade it without making it suffer crush damage, unless you go all the way back to the surface to apply it. (or maybe build a second one. I did consider building a second Cyclops for deep cave exploration. Also to try a different colour)

I've named all my vehicles after weapons from Polynesian cultures. So far I've got Kris, Balisong (my Seamoths), Bolo (Prawn) and Leiomano (Cyclops).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wondering how the Arctic expansion will work. An iceberg drifted from the poles and hit the edge of the crater?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about this earlier - my bet is on a warp gate that takes you to the new region. Maybe big enough for vehicles, maybe not!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Isn't the expansion going to have a new character? Maybe her lifepod got flung so far, it ended up outside the crater. I guess maybe it skipped across the water, or bounced or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it has penguins.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Rutibex posted:

I hope it has penguins.

Leviathan class penguins.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, the Arctic expansion is going to be a new character so it's probably going to be something you select from the main menu rather than something that you access from inside the current game.

According to this, the developers do want to put a penguin creature into the game: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Expansion_Pack

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm actually fine with more of the same when it comes to this game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The "glowing whale creature" from the wiki has an image with 2 divers.

How awesome would this game be with multiplayer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I was down in the active lava zone and a sea dragon pushed me straight through the walls of the containment facility(I think it is), saw some probably spoilery stuff underneath it.

I'm in the prawn suit and stuck in the walls, is there an easy way to get out?

edit: GOD drat YOU

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 29, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Inescapable Duck posted:

Stupid lesson of the day #3: First time reaching the Lost River is a good time to upgrade the Cyclops' depth module... except that you can't remove it from the Cyclops to upgrade it without making it suffer crush damage, unless you go all the way back to the surface to apply it. (or maybe build a second one. I did consider building a second Cyclops for deep cave exploration. Also to try a different colour)

I've named all my vehicles after weapons from Polynesian cultures. So far I've got Kris, Balisong (my Seamoths), Bolo (Prawn) and Leiomano (Cyclops).

If you're fast, you can rip it out, upgrade it and put it back in.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

The "glowing whale creature" from the wiki has an image with 2 divers.

How awesome would this game be with multiplayer

Never going to happen.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Never going to happen.

It'd be pretty cool though!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Captain Invictus posted:

So I was down in the active lava zone and a sea dragon pushed me straight through the walls of the containment facility(I think it is), saw some probably spoilery stuff underneath it.

I'm in the prawn suit and stuck in the walls, is there an easy way to get out?

edit: GOD drat YOU

Outside of using the warp command in the console? Good luck

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Never going to happen.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

It'd be pretty cool though!
Not 100% complete and of course even buggier than the main game itself, but it is a thing thanks to modders.

https://github.com/SubnauticaNitrox/Nitrox

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I actually tried this after saving and let things just sit to see how much time I had to complete the swap. It actually took a couple of minutes and lots of fire before my cyclops was anywhere near getting destroyed. There's plenty of time to do the swap, and you won't even take permanent damage unless your purposely sit and wait.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

boar guy posted:

i'm actually fine with more of the same when it comes to this game

Me too, provided they can match the beauty and innovation of the original biomes. At least 75% of what makes Subnautic work for me is the sheer unique spectacle of the environments.

Speaking of, something I'd really like to see in an arctic setting is a biome on the underside of a massive iceberg. An inverted mountain, like the floating island, but cranked up to 11. With a lush, active terrain above you and only the endless void below.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

jisforjosh posted:

Outside of using the warp command in the console? Good luck

Yeah, I tried using "warpme 30" to warp 30 meters ahead, and it hurled me out of the prawn through the ceiling and I couldn't move my look around with mouselook anymore so I just said gently caress it and reloaded.

I have no clue why there is no basic noclip function in the console, with how easily poo poo gets stuck inside things you'd think it would be a no-brainer. Or at least make things have no collision when going inbounds just in general so if you accidentally clip outside the map you can easily get back in.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Skippy McPants posted:

Me too, provided they can match the beauty and innovation of the original biomes. At least 75% of what makes Subnautic work for me is the sheer unique spectacle of the environments.

Speaking of, something I'd really like to see in an arctic setting is a biome on the underside of a massive iceberg. An inverted mountain, like the floating island, but cranked up to 11. With a lush, active terrain above you and only the endless void below.

I'd like to see more taking advantage of the day/night cycles.

Like for instance, with your idea, I like the idea that every night some creepy creature rises from the darkness below to feed on the lush terrain.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hope there's more of an emphasis on depth. The base game had a lot to find on the ocean floor but a lot less to find once you went underground. I feel like in an alien arctic environment you could expect things to get weirder and more lively as you go deeper through caverns that are warmer because of their closer proximity to geothermal heat.

I'm down with more Subnautica no matter what it is, but I guess I'm still feeling a little bitter from spending over 30 hours, reaching the lava zone, having my save game corrupt, then starting a new game, getting there in another 15 hours, and then finding out that there was very little game left and I spent hours preparing for no reason. For a game that seems to put an emphasis on going deeper there was a point of diminishing returns on going deeper.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Viridiant posted:

Yeah, the Arctic expansion is going to be a new character so it's probably going to be something you select from the main menu rather than something that you access from inside the current game.

According to this, the developers do want to put a penguin creature into the game: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Expansion_Pack

This makes a lot of sense. They could recycle 90% of the content from the original Subnautica with a few added DLC items/monsters and get another scenario that's as long as the base game for a fraction of the effort. I would play a separate scenario, I don't know if I would do another play though if the DLC just added to the base experience with a new zone or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got a prawn depth mk2 from a time capsule, and then foolishly jumped into the lava area, which you can't get back out of with default (no jump pack/grapple hook prawn movement). Fool that I am I decided to press onward, passing several more points of no return, looking for the nickel and crystalline sulfur I needed to make a jump pack upgrade

I found the last sulfur I needed in the room where the floor is lava and the alien lady talks to you. Now the real question is can I get back out with just the seaglider and ultra tank (I think the answer is yes except I'm lost and didn't leave beacons, again like an idiot), or do I stay down here and try to find the resources to build a moonpool

e: either way this situation rules extremely hard and I'm having a ton of fun. My only scarce survival resources are prawn power (50%, with a spare power cell in storage) and water (50%, drank all my water, but I have a thermal knife to get hydration from fish)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

cheetah7071 posted:

I got a prawn depth mk2 from a time capsule, and then foolishly jumped into the lava area, which you can't get back out of with default (no jump pack/grapple hook prawn movement). Fool that I am I decided to press onward, passing several more points of no return, looking for the nickel and crystalline sulfur I needed to make a jump pack upgrade

I found the last sulfur I needed in the room where the floor is lava and the alien lady talks to you. Now the real question is can I get back out with just the seaglider and ultra tank (I think the answer is yes except I'm lost and didn't leave beacons, again like an idiot), or do I stay down here and try to find the resources to build a moonpool

e: either way this situation rules extremely hard and I'm having a ton of fun. My only scarce survival resources are prawn power (50%, with a spare power cell in storage) and water (50%, drank all my water, but I have a thermal knife to get hydration from fish)

Go in the lava castle and you should be able to find a way out. It'll take an ion cube to activate, but there should be a couple lying around (or many more if you have the drill attachment).

If you think you're going to die store all the useful materials you've picked up in your prawn's storage for later retrieval.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Rutibex posted:

This makes a lot of sense. They could recycle 90% of the content from the original Subnautica with a few added DLC items/monsters and get another scenario that's as long as the base game for a fraction of the effort. I would play a separate scenario, I don't know if I would do another play though if the DLC just added to the base experience with a new zone or whatever.

Like Nintendo did with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? Clever.

Edit: I failed to save the Sunbeam :sad:

Edit edit: Why the gently caress is this a thing.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 30, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

you can't save it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’d be kind of neat if the new survivor is from the sunbeam. It’d explain some and you could write off the basic tech by getting emergency broadcasts come the Alterran channels for blueprints or something. I don’t remember if the Aurora blows before the sunbeam but that’d be cool to see on the horizon. Or the escape rocket taking off and leaving you behind.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drake_263 posted:

If the game worked right, you could save them. At least so far as "We're so hard working that we made it possible" talk pre-launch went.

But I've been seeing various reports that instead of the apparently intended Just radioing you to say 'Landing looks like it would be hard so you're on your own byyyyyye' and never showing up., even people who deactivated the gun can end up watching it shoot down the Sunbeam anyways, etc. I've even seen some comments of people seeing it do it without the gun even moving from it's deactivated position, just making the sound effects.

Though maybe they cut the actual saving at the last second before launch? Or just hosed up implementing it? It can be hard to tell sometimes.

EDIT: Dev comments from late this February that are a combination of "We get SO many bug reports" and "We totally put it in game"

quote:

We cant respond to all the in-game reports, as we get 1 new report every 30 seconds. We're not seeing a spike in this issue, are you using an old saved game?... This should be the case as standard on all branches of the game. If you deactivate the gun before the Sunbeam gets there, it will play an alternative event.

Don't worry though, they are looking into it ™

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 30, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

boar guy posted:

you can't save it

I was told that if you disable the QEP before the Sunbeam arrives, they contact you and tell you that the Aurora left such a huge debris field in orbit, they can't attempt a landing. sort of a wet fart still but hey, they tried?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Paracelsus posted:

Go in the lava castle and you should be able to find a way out. It'll take an ion cube to activate, but there should be a couple lying around (or many more if you have the drill attachment).

If you think you're going to die store all the useful materials you've picked up in your prawn's storage for later retrieval.

I tried this but it turns out you actually need an orange table to get in, not an ion cube. It's possible ion cubes were lying around (I couldn't find any) but without a fabricator they wouldn't be useful

The seaglider plan worked though. Over a kilometer traveled with 100 seconds to spare, the ultra tank really is more oxygen than you'll ever need.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

I tried this but it turns out you actually need an orange table to get in, not an ion cube. It's possible ion cubes were lying around (I couldn't find any) but without a fabricator they wouldn't be useful

The seaglider plan worked though. Over a kilometer traveled with 100 seconds to spare, the ultra tank really is more oxygen than you'll ever need.
The lava castle (in the lava biome) only needs purple tablets, and an Ion cube for portal activation.

The Orange Tablet is for Optional flavor text only dead end Lost River lab of zero impact on the gameplay... except a few ion cubes inside. Though usually people mistake that one for the Disease Research base, given it's scenery and location.

Bonus meta spoilers: The Disease Research lab is ALSO ultimately optional and of zero benefit beyond Go-Deeper-AGAIN.txt

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 30, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hauling around materials in my Cyclops paid off, and right next to the Sea Dragon skeleton is a great place to plop down a base. Even got a neat little lounge and a garden area with the water filtrator.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Section Z posted:

The lava castle (in the lava biome) only needs purple tablets, and an Ion cube for portal activation.

The Orange Tablet is for Optional flavor text only dead end Lost River lab of zero impact on the gameplay... except a few ion cubes inside. Though usually people mistake that one for the Disease Research base, given it's scenery and location.

Bonus meta spoilers: The Disease Research lab is ALSO ultimately optional and of zero benefit beyond Go-Deeper-AGAIN.txt

Oh well poo poo I just used my last nickel crafting an orange tablet for nothing. I saw the same "insert tablet" message in the lava one that I saw at the other one and assumed I needed orange again. Thanks for saving me a huge amount of backtracking.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Personally I think that if you get the QEP shut down before the Sunbeam arrives, they should reward you with the Sunbeam actually rescuing you.

Unfortunately for you, however they're actually space pirates and you get sold into slavery. THE END.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well I dunno where the gently caress I am but I have purple and orange tablets in my inventory, and ion cubes, and clicking on the insert tablet does nothing. I must not be where you thought I was. Maybe I'm trying to get into a building a bit further in the progression. But at least my Prawn has the jump upgrade now so I should be able to get it back to the cyclops.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 30, 2018