Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ropes4u posted:

Is there any down side to buying a easy to build Dreadnought kit over the normal kit?

Less customization options. You only get what's in the pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

Less customization options. You only get what's in the pic.

For a new person that isn’t necessarily bad, but for a guy who likes flashy killing robots it could be...

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ropes4u posted:

For a new person that isn’t necessarily bad, but for a guy who likes flashy killing robots it could be...

Why even take a dreadnought anyways? You should be saving points so you can fit more shadowswords in your list.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

Why even take a dreadnought anyways? You should be saving points so you can fit more shadowswords bike Shield-captains in your list.

FTFY

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Why not both?

Also I broke down, bought Forgebane whole instead of waiting to find someone willing to split it. Baby Knights and new Necron rules were too strong. Having a whale of a time splashing around those Liquitex inks on the Knights, need to figure a good balance of ink to medium however.

Anyone had a chance to use the Baby Knights yet? Hoping to have them smash a tank or two on Saturday, heard that they might be badly overcosted.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

Anyone had a chance to use the Baby Knights yet? Hoping to have them smash a tank or two on Saturday, heard that they might be badly overcosted.

I haven't played with them yet but they don't really seem "badly" overcosted. I think they deserve a 20 point drop or so but They're basically tougher, faster dreadnaughts with longer range weapons and slightly better CC that have more melee options and degrades with damage. I don't think they're worth it if you try to just run them as stompy robutts but if you take advantage of their speed they seem cool.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

I haven't played with them yet but they don't really seem "badly" overcosted. I think they deserve a 20 point drop or so but They're basically tougher, faster dreadnaughts with longer range weapons and slightly better CC that have more melee options and degrades with damage. I don't think they're worth it if you try to just run them as stompy robutts but if you take advantage of their speed they seem cool.

I'm looking forward to running them Friday with my Dark Angels. Maybe throw in a Knight Crusaider for the detachment. Seems fun enough. I'm also building a Paladin plus a small AdMech detachment to go for a more knights heavy list if I want.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pendent posted:

Somebody talk me out of buying some Scout Bikers for my Blood Angels. The rules seem really solid but I'm worried about the kits being terrible.

The models are actually pretty drat good, and give you enough extra bits to customize regualar joe Scouts as well.

Here's mine:

SRM fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 29, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do Scouts grow up to be Primarii or do they only come from Cawl's private cellar?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
What do people use to make extra molecular bonding studs to glue to their Space Marines?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Reading the Admech codex, and I'm confused by the interaction between Belisarius Cawl and the Static Psalm-Code warlord trait. It says that if he's my warlord, that "he always has the Static Psalm-Code trait".

Does this mean if Cawl's my warlord, I have no choice in warlord trait and that I must use Static Psalm-Code, or does it mean that Cawl has a passive Static Psalm-Code in addition to my choice of warlord trait? I'm assuming the former, but I wanted to be sure.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Most (all?) named characters are forced to take their associated warlord trait if used as the warlord of an army.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Duct Tape posted:

Reading the Admech codex, and I'm confused by the interaction between Belisarius Cawl and the Static Psalm-Code warlord trait. It says that if he's my warlord, that "he always has the Static Psalm-Code trait".

Does this mean if Cawl's my warlord, I have no choice in warlord trait and that I must use Static Psalm-Code, or does it mean that Cawl has a passive Static Psalm-Code in addition to my choice of warlord trait? I'm assuming the former, but I wanted to be sure.

It's the former, he has to have Static Psalm-Code. This isn't too bad because a 9" bubble on his aura is really good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Primarii just aren't grabbing me. Do you think the regular Marines are going to get pulled from production soon? :ohdear:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Do Scouts grow up to be Primarii or do they only come from Cawl's private cellar?

Regular marines can be upgraded to Primaris, so presumably scouts would get the special limb extension therapy if they prove themselves.

Schadenboner posted:

The Primarii just aren't grabbing me. Do you think the regular Marines are going to get pulled from production soon? :ohdear:

Considering how long old-rear end models stick around, Made to Order, and recasters, I wouldn't worry about The New Squats becoming a rare breed :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

Considering how long old-rear end models stick around, Made to Order, and recasters, I wouldn't worry about The New Squats becoming a rare breed :v:

I grew up in 3/3.5/4E in a meta with a lot of Rhino Rush, the thought of starting a Blood Angels army without buying a single APC makes me feel intensely dirty. :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 29, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

They're never going to stop selling old Marines unless people completely stop buying them. They're unlikely to release anything new for them, but they already had basically everything you could ever want in plastic and usually 3 options for every conceivable role. Expect there to be more Primaris stuff and a gradual incursion of Primaris stuff outside of their current limitations, but old Marines are pure profit at this point so why not keep the train rolling?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Plus so long as the vile pit of sin and depravity that is 30k exists, there's always gonna be squat marines since Cawl lacks time travel.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Yeah if nothing else I wouldn't be surprised to get new smolmarine kits via a new HH box.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Yeah if nothing else I wouldn't be surprised to get new smolmarine kits via a new HH box.

I'm just concerned the toxicity will make me forget that 5/6/7E were Not Good. :ohdear:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

A galaxy-spanning VIP protection service acting on the psychic commands of a demigod: "boring".

You heard it here first, folks.

Typical Tau propaganda. They’re not galaxy spanning. They’re stuck in a small section of the galaxy. They exist because everyone else is too busy with fighting each other. The fourth sphere expansion is the only interesting one fluff wise.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Der Waffle Mous posted:

This isn't going to happen, I guarantee it. And if you want Calth I'd snap it up now, as a heads up.

Also, smolmarines aren't going to stop being sold, but you may find that they disappear from physical stores this summer.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Neurolimal posted:

Plus so long as the vile pit of sin and depravity that is 30k exists, there's always gonna be squat marines since Cawl lacks time travel.

They're going to squat 30K as soon as they finish writing the novel series and replace it with a new series about the Unification Wars.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Milotic posted:

Typical Tau propaganda. They’re not galaxy spanning. They’re stuck in a small section of the galaxy. They exist because everyone else is too busy with fighting each other. The fourth sphere expansion is the only interesting one fluff wise.

I was talking about the Custodes though?

Also, where does the loving wormhole go, or is it purposefully vague?

E: Wait, are you accusing me of T'a"uite sympathies? I shall have my honor satisfied, sir! :hist101:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 29, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thanqol posted:

They're going to squat 30K as soon as they finish writing the novel series and replace it with a new series about the Unification Wars.

Looking forward to the 20k players dunking on the 30k players

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

Why not both?

Also I broke down, bought Forgebane whole instead of waiting to find someone willing to split it. Baby Knights and new Necron rules were too strong. Having a whale of a time splashing around those Liquitex inks on the Knights, need to figure a good balance of ink to medium however.

For the inks I just use them straight.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

I was talking about the Custodes though?

E: Wait, are you accusing me of T'a"uite sympathies? I shall have my honor satisfied, sir! :hist101:

Sorry, it was slightly tongue in cheek my original Custodes remark, they have sat around for 10 thousand years not doing much.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

Why even take a dreadnought anyways? You should be saving points so you can fit more shadowswords in your list.

I do need a tank but I need a Primaris sized tank

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I'm just concerned the toxicity will make me forget that 5/6/7E were Not Good. :ohdear:

You're already toxic so you have nothing to worry about.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

What do people use to make extra molecular bonding studs to glue to their Space Marines?

Is this some kind of vaguely kinky space marine joke or are you talking about extra plastic to glue stuff in place? If it's extra plastic I've used leftover sections of sprue before to shore up stuff like internal sections and the like. Need to get a bit creative if you don't want them showing sometimes. I've also shaved thin pieces off of them and used them as filler for areas I want to plastic weld together but had gaps.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Is this some kind of vaguely kinky space marine joke or are you talking about extra plastic to glue stuff in place? If it's extra plastic I've used leftover sections of sprue before to shore up stuff like internal sections and the like. Need to get a bit creative if you don't want them showing sometimes. I've also shaved thin pieces off of them and used them as filler for areas I want to plastic weld together but had gaps.

Pretty sure he means to classic round studs you see on OG space marines

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I had no idea those were molecular bonding studs. Thought they were just grimdork armor decorations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Still haven't figured this out. My assumption is that the wormhole lets out "Wherever you need it to be so we don't have to do bullshit like try to explain why the T'a"u are interested in Medusa IV or whatever".

:shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bird food bathtub posted:

I had no idea those were molecular bonding studs. Thought they were just grimdork armor decorations.

"Molecular Bonding Studs" sounds a lot cooler than "Glue Dots".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"Molecular Bonding Studs" sounds a lot cooler than "Glue Dots".

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Dipping Dots...

:smithicide:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought it was sci-fi for "rivet."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

moths posted:

I thought it was sci-fi for "rivet."

The imperium uses only the finest and largest of rivet guns.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Sex Cannon posted:

The vodka made me forget to take pictures.

Seconding the awesome of Oleg, met him at the Dragonfall gentlemans. Awesome army, awesome dude.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Lupercalcalcal posted:

This isn't going to happen, I guarantee it. And if you want Calth I'd snap it up now, as a heads up.

Also, smolmarines aren't going to stop being sold, but you may find that they disappear from physical stores this summer.

Where are you getting this information from? Because knowing that boxed sets of 30k are getting axed would be a big deal to anyone who wants to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Generally haven't been a fan of using regular helmets on primaris but holy crap this works well.

Really hope we get some non-gravis jump troops in future.