Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jetamo posted:

To be fair, they could have been more douchey about it and made you pay for the DLC they released outside of the original season pass even if you bought it.

Looking at you, Gearbox and Borderlands 2.

Oh yeah, those guys DID do that. gently caress gearbox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still don't get what the problem is with that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I still don't get what the problem is with that.
The idea with a season pass is you're paying in advance for the promise of receiving all the DLC. Developers use this money to develop more DLC. If you don't get the DLC, the pass is just a donation to the company.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FactsAreUseless posted:

The idea with a season pass is you're paying in advance for the promise of receiving all the DLC. Developers use this money to develop more DLC. If you don't get the DLC, the pass is just a donation to the company.

Additionally, Game of the Year editions usually include ALL dlc, so if your season pass doesn't include the entirety of it, the GotY edition is usually cheaper, and training gamers to not bother.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I mean a season pass guarantees a "season" whatever they mean by that. It's like if I buy a season of a TV show I don't get all of them I just get season one. Really what they should do is sell a season pass AND a series pass. The season pass guarantees x number of planned DLC but the series pass for 10-20 more guarantees all possible future DLC which may or may not exist.

I'll take my royalty check now please EA

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Regarding Watch_Dogs 2 and the plot event that everyone who's ever played it calls out as bullshit, looking at the game files indicates it's the final piece of a questline that got gutted on its way to release. The mission "Eye for an Eye" was likely the last mission in a questline starting with "Hollow Pundits", followed by "$911", and including the side mission "Condemned".

"Hollow Pundits" was a mission dealing with how ctOS influenced WKZ's reporting of an officer-involved shooting in Oakland. Some of these ideas were used in the official Tumblr account and there are still some references in the game itself, namely in the mission $911. Some bits of this mission appear to have been repurposed in the Automata DLC mission.

"Condemned" is the name in the game files for the sole home intrusion side mission in the second game; it's the one where you find the guy in a garage in Oakland attempting to asphyxiate himself with his car. Notably, it's never listed as mission in the DedSec app, though data in the game files indicates that it was originally picked up as any other side mission. The app data indicates that DedSec wanted to check in on Emilio Spencer, the cop who shot Mike Nassan, as he'd publicly threatened DedSec. There are indications that there are unused DedSec Teamspeak conversations for each outcome (Emilio's death, or intervention).

"$911" stands out as the only side mission to feature mocap and cutscenes, and the game files indicate it was originally classified as a mainline mission. Even without having Hollow Pundits to lead into it, it's still a strange decision for them to demote this to side mission status. Having this serve as the trigger for Eye for an Eye would give more structure and weight to Eye for an Eye, imho.

Having these missions string into each other makes the progression a lot clearer. You go from knowing the police are relying on ctOS, to knowing the police are manipulating ctOS to cover up crimes, which more strongly emphasizes the Tezcas knowing this is possible and wanting this ability for themselves. It's still mentioned in the game as shipped, but feels super weak compared to how it could have been presented and reinforced.

Even all that aside, another lovely thing about Horatio's death is the conversations you have with everyone in the hackerspace. Some conversations are available only for the duration of an operation; everyone's initial reaction to Horatio's death are one of these missable conversations. These initial conversations are where everyone deals most directly with their grief, and having them be so incredibly missable is a huge loss. (Speaking of Ray, it's also the only time he mentions Horatio's death at all.) Just getting their post-mission conversations feels very cold in comparison.

Even if the full questline had been completed and integrated into the game this would have still been a pretty lovely thing in a pretty great game, but it would have taken off the sting a little bit by emphasizing its importance and making it an event that happens as a culmination, instead of as a sideswipe.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Len posted:

I mean a season pass guarantees a "season" whatever they mean by that. It's like if I buy a season of a TV show I don't get all of them I just get season one. Really what they should do is sell a season pass AND a series pass. The season pass guarantees x number of planned DLC but the series pass for 10-20 more guarantees all possible future DLC which may or may not exist.

I'll take my royalty check now please EA

It's a sports ticket reference and has nothing to do with seasons. Furthermore your idea is very stupid sir.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And then there's Final Fantasy XV, which has the Base Edition, The Season Pass, The Complete Edition(Comes with the Season Pass) and The Royal Edition(Comes with useless garbage). If you bought the Base Edition you can:

-Buy the DLC episodes one by one
-Buy the Season Pass which covers the main DLC but not the useless garbage from the Royal Edition
-Upgrade to the Royal Edition which gives you the useless garbage but not the main DLC

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

And then there's Final Fantasy XV, which has the Base Edition, The Season Pass, The Complete Edition(Comes with the Season Pass) and The Royal Edition(Comes with useless garbage). If you bought the Base Edition you can:

-Buy the DLC episodes one by one
-Buy the Season Pass which covers the main DLC but not the useless garbage from the Royal Edition
-Upgrade to the Royal Edition which gives you the useless garbage but not the main DLC
The Royal Edition comes with all the DLC episodes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Or buy the windows edition with all the DLC and Gordon Freeman's HEV suit (comes with the glasses) for the price of the base edition :smuggo:

Vic has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Mar 28, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Vic posted:

Or buy the windows edition with all the DLC and Gordon Freeman's HEV suit (comes with the glasses) for the price of the base edition :smuggo:

Wait, in Final Fantasy XV, you can get Freeman's HEV suit? What the hell? Why? Don't get me wrong, I think that's cool, but of all cross series costumes, Half-Life is in Final Fantasy?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Why not? Link was in Soul Calibur.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, in Final Fantasy XV, you can get Freeman's HEV suit? What the hell? Why? Don't get me wrong, I think that's cool, but of all cross series costumes, Half-Life is in Final Fantasy?

It's on steam so that's why. It's like Diablo 3 on PS4 has clickers from Last of Us as an enemy.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
We'll never get another Half-Life game, and now they're just rubbing it in.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

StandardVC10 posted:

What do you mean "We'll never get another Half-Life"?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

If I want to quit Dark Souls 3, I need to:

-Select "save and quit" from the menu
-Wait for a brief loading screen
-Sit through the Bandai Namco logo
-Wait for the title screen to show up
-Wait for it to try to connect to the Dark Souls servers
-Close a popup about a patch from seven months ago for some goddamn reason

THEN I can finally quit.

Game publishers, please stop doing this poo poo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

food court bailiff posted:

THEN I can finally quit.

Save and quit from the menu, then Alt + F4 at the Bamco logo. It won't bitch at you for Alt + F4ing at this point, promise.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StandardVC10 posted:

wasn't a new half life just released on steam a few months ago for free?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blind Sally posted:

wasn't a new half life just released on steam a few months ago for free?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Cf-6vKVWg

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Royal Edition comes with all the DLC episodes.

Ignore me, I'm a moron, I was going off the Upgrade To Royal Edition which is the one that gives you the useless garbage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Oh yeah, those guys DID do that. gently caress gearbox!

my memory is that they said "this season pass will have 4 upcoming DLCs" and then the season pass had 4 DLCs in it

unless I'm completely misremembering something, nothing about this seems wrong

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

It's a sports ticket reference and has nothing to do with seasons. Furthermore your idea is very stupid sir.

I do not know how sports work. Do season tickets cover your team making the superbowl/series/whatever the final game(s) are? Because if not consider more dlc similar to that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

I do not know how sports work. Do season tickets cover your team making the superbowl/series/whatever the final game(s) are? Because if not consider more dlc similar to that

It means a pre paid entry for the season, in videogame terms it means pre paid dlc for the game. I'm eastern european don't ask me about how superbowl works.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

If you buy it on Origin you get llama costumes and green diamond things from The Sims!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Ignore me, I'm a moron, I was going off the Upgrade To Royal Edition which is the one that gives you the useless garbage.
I mean it's still kind of a mess, don't get me wrong. But I appreciate that they made Royal Edition as a way for existing players to try the DLC and new players to jump in without needing the original.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I've been trying to finish up the quests/affinity charts in xenoblade 2 before finishing the game (since I'm unsure if NG+ is worth going through, even if you get some neat stuff out of it apparently), so one thing I've noticed - is that there doesn't seem a way to drop items.

Which is kind of bad. Because certain characters need you to craft x amount of things - and the game won't let you keep crafting if you have too much of the thing which is usually a painfully low number like 5.
I had to constantly give my characters pies - just so I could keep making more pies.

In a much worse scenario - is that there's certain shops that trade junk items for a bunch of money, and "boosters". As far as I know - boosters can only be used up by using them to open up core crystals (rare-item things) to make a blade.
Which sucks because chances are you'll end up releasing the blade to make room - and in doing so, it has a chance to give you more boosters.

I do think the game is fun to play, but there's so much little things that could have been streamlined - that would have made the game a lot better than it was.
I mean, a big draw to Xenoblade 1 is how convenient of a game it was - with quests completing themselves, etc. That are just kind of gone here, that it feels like a step backwards.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Digirat posted:

my memory is that they said "this season pass will have 4 upcoming DLCs" and then the season pass had 4 DLCs in it

unless I'm completely misremembering something, nothing about this seems wrong
Usually season passes do just cover every dlc that will be released for the game, so while saying the season pass will have 4 dlc is completely truthful, it misleads via omission so people end up mad when a dlc isn't covered by the season pass even if they never said it would be.

For more thread related content, I picked nioh back up a while ago and I'm starting to remember why I stopped, the game feels really tiring compared to a regular souls game. Also a lot of skills have really misleading descriptions, such as a water bolt spell being described as "imbuing your projectiles with water" which is mostly only confusing since you have a pair of dedicated ranged weapons.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

These vg companies nickel and diming don’t get a pass from me, free or season

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

-gently caress you todd im not buying the $25 and $20 story dlcs, i'll buy them on a PS Store sale whenever there is one.

Just to gently caress you over even more, the non-story DLCs are garbage. All the poo poo they add to settlements are below mod-tier in functionality and last time I played Fallout 4 most of them were straight up broken. They also look like poo poo. You're genuinely better off just getting a mod that adds similar, better looking and better working poo poo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Forza Horizon 3 is kinda hilarious with the season pass stuff. There's an expansion pass which includes the two extra areas (mountain and hot wheels) but there's also hundreds of DLC cars, so you can either buy the 9 car packs separately or get the 'car pass', however that only includes the first 6 car packs so you need to buy the other 3 separately.

There's also the VIP pass which has some extra cars and doubles the credits you get from levelling up. Also don't forget the Treasure Map which has a literal reminder every time you open the map.

On top of that there are micro transactions for buying the in game currency as well. Also the menu is stuffed with ads for all this stuff so you can't forget about it.

But don't worry. You can just buy the 'ultimate edition' for £80 to get everything in one go, right? Well that doesn't include the expansions or additional car packs so no.

Great game but MS really went to down on the DLC front.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That game has turned off even dudes I know who otherwise deeply love them some Forza, it's impressive.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It was one Paradox title, I think Europa Universalis 4, which was at one point sold as an "Complete Edition". At this point it does not contain even half of the released DLC content packs, let alone unit- or flag-packs.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

food court bailiff posted:

THEN I can finally quit.

What on earth? No you don't.

You can totally stop after step 2 on your list.

As soon as you see the Namco logo - it's finished saving poo poo. Go on about your business.

Also - there's a button press YOU would have to make before it will start trying to connect again. It doesn't do that on its own.

HaB has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Mar 29, 2018

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

HaB posted:

Also - there's a button press YOU would have to make before it will start trying to connect again. It doesn't do that on its own.

Yes, but you have to press that button to get to the menu that has the Quit Game option in it. I mean, I always use ALT-F4 too, but until I realized that was possible I had the same issue as FCB did.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
You can skip the DS3 intro logos using this fix: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls_III#Skip_intro_videos

It's fine to use online, doesn't trigger any anti-cheat or get you banned or anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At least DS3 didn't hard lock your system every time you tried to exit the game like it did for me on launch. :waycool:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Let's never forget how much you have to do to quit the first Asscreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwOvuY0UbFM

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Gerblyn posted:

Yes, but you have to press that button to get to the menu that has the Quit Game option in it. I mean, I always use ALT-F4 too, but until I realized that was possible I had the same issue as FCB did.

Um no?

If you're in a game, you can get to quit the usual way.

The only time you have to reconnect is if you are sitting on the main menu where it says "Press Any Key" and if you are - you can just kill it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

HaB posted:

Um no?

Are you sure? I don't recall there being a quit to windows option in game, only a quit to title screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There is no quit to Windows option in DS3, you two might have different definitions of "the usual method".