Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this reasoning would also imply that boarding actions would be borderline suicidal and therefore presumably rare though

The level of technology in Traveller would generally make it impossible to ship to ship dock for a boarding action. (That is, there's no mention of a way to match your inertia with that of another ship) I don't recall this ever being addressed in a version of Traveller I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, one of the key interesting points in Traveller is that there's no interstellar communications short of sending a ship from point A to point B, which is why worlds are still fairly diverse and relatively independent, and at least goes some way towards explaining piracy. I wouldn't say Traveller is perfectly consistent, but there are at least some interesting conceits as to why the world is the way it is.

Well, the argument (as I understand and/or recall it) was while yes, the situation would seem to allow it, it would be transitory at best, at least within the Imperium. The reason for this is that any world that decided to support piracy would have a large Imperial fleet calling at it regularly, and a significant uptick in customs inspections for ships transitioning the system. Why? Because it's affecting interstellar commerce, and that's one of the primary reasons the Imperium exists. The Navy's two main functions are protecting the frontiers and removing piracy.

So, while yes, the occasion act of piracy might occur, but odds are it's not going to happen very much and will be swiftly dealt with when it does. It's essentially such a low risk to traders plying the interior systems of the Imperium that it might as well not exist.

DalaranJ posted:

The level of technology in Traveller would generally make it impossible to ship to ship dock for a boarding action. (That is, there's no mention of a way to match your inertia with that of another ship) I don't recall this ever being addressed in a version of Traveller I've read.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

this reasoning would also imply that boarding actions would be borderline suicidal and therefore presumably rare though

Both of these are true, and while there's been some waffling (like Marines being able to board when the ships close to <1k km in MgT), most people pretty much decided it's going to be a mutual thing. You're either let on board peacefully, or we shoot up your ship until you decide to let us on peacefully or explode.

Boarding actions are kind of part of the fictional space, though (see: Star Wars, various Lensmen novels, etc) so I think they had to throw a nod in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think you mean 'the Age of Sail, but in space'. Which is most science fiction. (Star Wars is more WW2 in space, but same difference half the time)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LoGH having a bunch of hardened dudes with loving battle-axes boarding ships in a setting where there's metal liquid asteroid fortresses.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My one game of traveller had us pulled out of warp or hyperspace or whatever by something and then boarded by pirates while they took all our stuff. Presumed GM intent: we lose all our stuff and have to take... some job. Actual result: I manage to get into the pirate ship, expecting the others to follow. They do not. I start a one man guerilla war trying to sabotage their engines while also sending out distress signals. This utterly derailed the train and killed the campaign.

I have no idea why the GM thought "Let them take our stuff" was ever on the table

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Any plot based on "just let the NPCs work the PCs over" deserves to be derailed, IMHO. If he wanted you desperate and destitute, why not have that be the actual campaign pitch instead of making it a surprise?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, if the campaign premise had been "You have just arrived in port after being rolled by some pirates..." it would have gone much different. I think he was testing out the combat system or something, it was his first time running the new (beta test possibly?) traveller. He's a good GM, but man, how did he not see this happening.

I had a blast though. Got on board by hitching a ride on a box of farming equipment they were ferrying over. This came back later when I used a space tractor with a brick on the accelerator as a distraction.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 28, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

LoGH having a bunch of hardened dudes with loving battle-axes boarding ships in a setting where there's metal liquid asteroid fortresses.

I vaguely remember there being some sort of gas they released that would blow up if someone just took a shot so there's that I guess

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

01011001 posted:

I vaguely remember there being some sort of gas they released that would blow up if someone just took a shot so there's that I guess
Sure, but that's just narrative justification for having dudes in armor run around with poleaxes and crossbows in your space opera.

Dec 26, 2012

I'm ok with that, personally

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I figured they must have really loved Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but Traveller predates it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Halloween Jack posted:

I figured they must have really loved Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but Traveller predates it.

Dudes with space axes doing boarding actions is probably an E. E. "Doc" Smith thing instead, given the timeframe. Hell, I think he may have invented 'big burly dudes doing boarding actions with space axes'

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What are some cool and lesser-known sci-fi rpg systems? I'm thinking sci-fi as in traveling around in space and dealing with different planets. By lesser-known, I mean stuff other than Eclipse Phase, Warhammer 40k, Starfinder, etc. Stuff like spellbound kingdoms or shadow of the demon lord look really cool, but I'd like something with a sci-fi setting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fr0id posted:

What are some cool and lesser-known sci-fi rpg systems? I'm thinking sci-fi as in traveling around in space and dealing with different planets. By lesser-known, I mean stuff other than Eclipse Phase, Warhammer 40k, Starfinder, etc. Stuff like spellbound kingdoms or shadow of the demon lord look really cool, but I'd like something with a sci-fi setting.

FRAGGED EMPIRE

e: please read that as me yelling the name

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

fr0id posted:

VSCA's Elysium Flare, Holmes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Diaspora and Bulldogs, both FATE games

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

starkebn posted:

Diaspora and Bulldogs, both FATE games

This dude knows what's up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fr0id posted:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Diaspora is super heavy for a Fate game. I wasn't a fan.

Though if your goal is hard sci-fi, including a bunch of minutia about space travel and EVA and such, it would definitely fit the bill.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

slap me and kiss me posted:

This dude knows what's up.

Actually it's pronounced, "Bulldogs!" :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If you're okay with an OSR game there's Stars Without Number.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

S.J. posted:

FRAGGED EMPIRE

e: please read that as me yelling the name

Gonna second this one.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I, for one, am glad that our local moderator is dedicated to telling the harsh truths.

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/979144968890564608

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ettin spent so much time wondering if he could that he never stopped to ask himself if he should.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah but is it BESM or BESM d20, because obviously the latter is better

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Antivehicular posted:

Any plot based on "just let the NPCs work the PCs over" deserves to be derailed, IMHO. If he wanted you desperate and destitute, why not have that be the actual campaign pitch instead of making it a surprise?

Just a mismatch of perceptions. That position makes sense from a storytelling point (it's more visceral to experience the moment than to hear it happened which is why it's a CRPG trope) but the issue arises from the lack of verssimilitude between character and player motivations and the same for player and character capability.

Players envisioning themselves as characters will attempt to do what characters will want to do, which is find any means to escape and will be less threatened than a character would be be risk to themselves. So they will act, but the means of action arent one-for-one; rpg play is a negotiation between player and DM, and if the player keeps asking for means and the DM gives them nothing, the negotiation (and the game) collapses.

This scenario, but as described, is perfect for a game where the players are negotiating for story value, like in FATE, where the GM could stack the deck to ensure the players fail, but will have to reward them with story options later. On the same hand, it loses the visceral feeling when the players have consented to you 'robbing them'. The value of games not like FATE, are that player and character motivations are tied, vice player and DM.

If you wanted to maximize that feeling, the DM needs time with the players to establish risk (less likely to take risks with a 6mo old character than a new one) and to create the situation (illusory or not) that player action or dice fiat caused the situation--by setting up preemptive situations that in the moment the players fail to realise but afterwards connect to the action against them so that they sense their failure is justified.

TLDR, the DM skipped the foreplay.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah but is it BESM or BESM d20, because obviously the latter is better

The only d20 game with a high school student character class.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BESM ftw

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Ettin spent so much time wondering if he could that he never stopped to ask himself if he should.

Ettin spent so much time shitposting on twitter that he has become the shitpost.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

ProfessorCirno posted:

I, for one, am glad that our local moderator is dedicated to telling the harsh truths.

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/979144968890564608

Ettin certainly embraced the madness part of March Madness.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fr0id posted:

Coriolis.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
shadowrun losing in the first round is ample evidence that ettin faked that bracket :colbert:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate that Synnibarr, our industry's most powerful vision of humanity's future, has its rightful place in the sci-fi bracket

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know what's more offensive, BESM winning or rifts being the runner up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is BESM worth reading if I know nothing about anime or manga? It gets mentioned a lot.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It is a game, where, from what I understand, it is easier to build a world destroying superhuman in a game about Highschool track, than it would be in a Dragonball Z game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
BESM is basically a universal system with a focus on anime. The best part is probably how skills can cost differently depending on what genre you're going for. But at this point, if I want to play a game about a high school tennis team, I will probably go with a more narrative system.

BESM is also not really balanced at all.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
All I know about BESM is a friend of mine played in a game once where he made a mecha pilot complete with mecha, and his other half made a character based on some tennis manga (Prince of Tennis?) -- and whose serve could one-shot the giant robot.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Well, I mean, don't all systems have a linear mech pilot, quadratic tennis champ problem at some level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Subjunctive posted:

Is BESM worth reading if I know nothing about anime or manga? It gets mentioned a lot.
I like to say that BESM is a game designed by a man who likes anime a lot more than he likes game design. There's not a lot worth salvaging from it. One glaring example is that since it uses a 2d6 roll-under mechanic, when two characters with high combat stats engage in combat, they end up whiffing over and over until someone rolls particularly well or badly, and the designer stuck with this until the other designer he'd hired (David L. Pulver) sat him down and forced him to play through a combat like that.

If you want a universal RPG with an anime spin you're better off checking out OVA.