Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My steps are set to 400

I am getting minor elephant foot but if I compensate by moving the bed further away ,it is too far away to adhere

Edit: probably going to be something stupid like this though ::science:

Jestery fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So, solved I guess, I reseated everything z related and releveled the bed as high as I dared. And it seems to want to print now.

Magic machines

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Jestery posted:

Magic machines
In other news, I caved and bought the E3D all metal V6
Now to go buy all the ABS, PETG or whatever weird and wonderful materials I can find (once I mount it and get it working right that is)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

kaffo posted:

In other news, I caved and bought the E3D all metal V6
Now to go buy all the ABS, PETG or whatever weird and wonderful materials I can find (once I mount it and get it working right that is)

Nice, I have a knockoff e3dv6 that is just a drat fine bit of kit, not essential but it's good to have it set up

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'd like to get my dad a 3d printer. He's across the country from me, but I'll be in town for a week or so to help him build it. We're both engineers and he has extensive Autocad experience, so something that can interface with that would be ideal.

I'd love to get a kit so that we can sit down and build it together. I'm not too worried about print area, and I'd like to spend at most around $1,000. What are some good options in that range? I won't be there for a few months, so shipping times aren't a real object.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don’t know if it’s still a crowd favorite like it was when I bought it but the Rostock max v2 was a super fun build, is right around that price point, and has been an incredibly reliable printer, with consistent quality prints and a robust design. To wit: my very first print ever (little calibration cube) was 100% successful and looked great. Also to wit: I put it in a box and stuck it, completely assembled, in a uhaul trailer, and then drove about 1500 miles. Got to my destination, unpacked it and fired it up. Checked the z height and it was still dead on, told it to print and haven’t had to recalibrate it since. That’s crazy to me. And it’s fast, and the print volume is huge, to boot. I do recommend a hotend upgrade and some parts cooling fans, and dampers on the steppers, but those are all totally normal upgrades and easy.

If I knew then what I know now, I would do exactly the same thing. In fact, I’ve considered getting a second.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd like to get my dad a 3d printer. He's across the country from me, but I'll be in town for a week or so to help him build it. We're both engineers and he has extensive Autocad experience, so something that can interface with that would be ideal.

I'd love to get a kit so that we can sit down and build it together. I'm not too worried about print area, and I'd like to spend at most around $1,000. What are some good options in that range? I won't be there for a few months, so shipping times aren't a real object.

Get a Prusa i3 MK3.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BMan posted:

Get a Prusa i3 MK3.

2nded. You can get it as a kit since that's your preference. If he has CAD experience he will probably have a blast designing things to print, any cad program will have some way to export solid geometry STL files.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

BMan posted:

Get a Prusa i3 MK3.

3rded but double check the delivery times, they are a month or so backordered now.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

He said it's for a few months from now, so it's fine. The perfect situation for buying a Prusa, really.

Also my MK2.5 kit is finally shipping :woop:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Prusa. Industry standard, safe, well documented, and truly open source.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dirk the Average posted:

Prusa MK3 kit and spend the leftover money on filament.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Officially, Autocad is a 2D CAD package with 3D features. You might steer your dad toward Fusion360, which is meant for 3D from the start.

Its from the same people, so maybe his skills will overlap. The fact that F360 is free for hobbyists means it’s very popular for 3D printing and there’s a ton of knowledge around.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Officially, Autocad is a 2D CAD package with 3D features. You might steer your dad toward Fusion360, which is meant for 3D from the start.

Its from the same people, so maybe his skills will overlap. The fact that F360 is free for hobbyists means it’s very popular for 3D printing and there’s a ton of knowledge around.
This. Especially for someone already familiar with Autodesk products.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'll definitely look up the Prusa.

eddiewalker posted:

I might be misstating the exact product, but it's the Auto-something line of CAD programs. He does fairly complex CAD work with it. I use Solidworks and Creo Parametric, and I'm not familiar with other CAD programs (I do a lot of 3d printing through my job, but we have a machine shop to take care of it for us). I'll definitely look up Fusion 360.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
There's CAD work and then there's CAD work. AutoCAD is a 2D drafting program that has some 3D features grafted on -- it can do 3D work if you force it, but it's like hammering in a nail with the back of a wrench. There are way better tools for the job if that's your goal. (Inventor is Autodesk's flagship mechanical 3D program, FWIW).

Fusion 360 is the best option if you've got no money. Rhino is the best deal if you're a student and can get the $200 license. SolidWorks is the industry standard if you've got unlimited cash, an employer who'll fund it, or :filez:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

There's CAD work and then there's CAD work. AutoCAD is a 2D drafting program that has some 3D features grafted on -- it can do 3D work if you force it, but it's like hammering in a nail with the back of a wrench. There are way better tools for the job if that's your goal. (Inventor is Autodesk's flagship mechanical 3D program, FWIW).

Fusion 360 is the best option if you've got no money. Rhino is the best deal if you're a student and can get the $200 license. SolidWorks is the industry standard if you've got unlimited cash, an employer who'll fund it, or :filez:

Ah, Autodesk Inventor is what he's been using then. Honestly, since I never use that line of products, I've never learned to differentiate between them.

I use Solidworks literally every day for work and it is absolutely fantastic.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
Don't suppose anyone has a copy of the STL's for this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2078743
I was planning on using it to make a birthday present for someone.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

KillaZilla posted:

Don't suppose anyone has a copy of the STL's for this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2078743

Looks like someone is selling them on eBay.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Pi-Score-table-top-arcade-stl-files-for-3d-print-/282800190950

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I finally got around to finishing my standalone mode for my cr-10

I need to replace belts and some other things , but I have a sequence of upgrades planned

She is looking a dream

And here is the upskirt

About as clean as it gets really

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
God drat I wanted one of those mini arcade machines so loving bad as a kid

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's insane that those STLs got a dmca takedown. You can't copyright physical dimensions - patent yes, trademark yes.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

real weird that all they have is a screenshot of the thingiverse render and the actual thingiverse page is mysteriously down for dmca...

mewse posted:

It's insane that those STLs got a dmca takedown. You can't copyright physical dimensions - patent yes, trademark yes.

uhhhhh how is this different than literally any other digital creation. Thats like saying you can't copyright a 2d design because you saved it as an vector

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 30, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

moron izzard posted:

uhhhhh how is this different than literally any other digital creation.

If you take the time to model the foot for a HP keyboard, HP can't come by and say "whoa you used our measurements, we own the copyright on your model". It's your work and you are the copyright holder. It could have identical measurements to the HP product and they can't do poo poo.

Copyright doesn't apply to physical objects - that's why tractor companies are trying to lock their machines down with software so that they're the only people that can repair them. People can make an aftermarket fender for a tractor with exact measurements, copyright doesn't apply.

If we start talking about patents and trademarks it's a different story, it's part of the whole intellectual property industry. This tabletop arcade thing is from the 80s and any patents would have expired. I seriously doubt they have a registered trademark, but it was taken down with DMCA which is a copyright tool.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The brilliance of the DMCA is if you (the host site) get a takedown notice you have to immediately suspend access while it gets worked out. Which consists of the alleged infringer proving it's not piracy to get it lifted :dealwithit:

In theory sending takedown notices for something that's ok (fair use, expired patent, whatever) has a penalty but it's gotta be pushed by someone legally to happen. The penalty for not acting on a takedown notice is pretty hefty in comparison though I don't remember it.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 30, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

The brilliance of the DMCA is if you (the host site) get a takedown notice you have to immediately suspend access while it gets worked out. Which consists of the alleged infringer proving it's not piracy to get it lifted :dealwithit:

In theory sending takedown notices for something that's ok (fair use, expired patent, whatever) has a penalty but it's gotta be pushed by someone legally to happen. The penalty for not acting on a takedown notice is pretty hefty in comparison though I don't remember it.

Yeah this is clear abuse of the DMCA which is why they should file a counter-notice and have the model restored, but they might be intimidated into not doing anything because of these shitheads

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
EDIT: on better thought, I put up the sale in a SAMart thread. Getting rid of 3D printing stuff, including Simplify3D.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you haven't been following there's a huge trade show happening in euro land and this interview between Tom and E3D is hardcore nerdography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfopGYO0r-M

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

mewse posted:

If you haven't been following there's a huge trade show happening in euro land and this interview between Tom and E3D is hardcore nerdography

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfopGYO0r-M

I watched this morning and it's a pretty hardcore nerdgasm between them

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Huh, so hotter temperatures for lower layer heights.

Weird

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I don’t know what’s happening exactly, but I’m having a lot of problems with some Solutech PLA. Massive under extrusion issue. Hatchbox stuff works perfectly, but this just won’t work right. If I manually push it through the extruded (Bowen setup) it will flow properly, but left on its own it’s just not extruding. I cranked the temp way up and tried changing the tension on the extruded, and nothing seems to help. It would be nice to not have to rely on only Hatchbox, since it’s hard to get some colors.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jestery posted:

Huh, so hotter temperatures for lower layer heights.

Weird

Is that because the smaller amount of extruded plastic retains much less heat overall & loses it much faster? That would make sense.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

KillaZilla posted:

You still want this? I managed to snag a copy from someone.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I’d like it even if he doesn’t

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mattfl posted:

You still want this? I managed to snag a copy from someone.

Yeah, PM a link broseph and I'll be appreciative (for something else)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

duffmensch posted:

I’d like it even if he doesn’t

Ok gimme a few and I’ll throw it up on a fileshare.

edit: Here you go guys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mjiw9eff1saltj/Requested%20STL%20Files.zip?dl=0

Lemme know if it doesn't work

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 31, 2018

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Funzo posted:

I don’t know what’s happening exactly, but I’m having a lot of problems with some Solutech PLA. Massive under extrusion issue. Hatchbox stuff works perfectly, but this just won’t work right. If I manually push it through the extruded (Bowen setup) it will flow properly, but left on its own it’s just not extruding. I cranked the temp way up and tried changing the tension on the extruded, and nothing seems to help. It would be nice to not have to rely on only Hatchbox, since it’s hard to get some colors.
1) Is the extruder motor actually turning when you try to extrude? mark the shaft with a marker on a side if that helps indicate
2) Is the filament drive set screw tight?
3) Is the filament drive teeth full of chewed up plastic?
4) Is filament idler/tensioner working properly?

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

mattfl posted:

Ok gimme a few and I’ll throw it up on a fileshare.

edit: Here you go guys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mjiw9eff1saltj/Requested%20STL%20Files.zip?dl=0

Lemme know if it doesn't work

Awesome! Thank you heaps. The constant copyright malarkey around non commercial/profit 3d printing is annoying.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

KillaZilla posted:

Awesome! Thank you heaps. The constant copyright malarkey around non commercial/profit 3d printing is annoying.

No problem! Post up if you print one. I’ll print one eventually but I’ve got a few other projects to finish first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

peepsalot posted:

1) Is the extruder motor actually turning when you try to extrude? mark the shaft with a marker on a side if that helps indicate
2) Is the filament drive set screw tight?
3) Is the filament drive teeth full of chewed up plastic?
4) Is filament idler/tensioner working properly?

Yes, yes, no and yes. It works perfectly with Hatchbox stuff, just not Solutech. The Hatchbox PLA seems less slippery, for lack of a better word. It's more matte, where the Solutech is shiny. I'm wondering if the drive just has trouble grabbing it unless I crank the tension screw way up.
It does get better if I drop speeds way down, but still not very good. Perimeters are think and flexible where they shouldn't be, and there's a thin gap between the wall perimeters.

I'm thinking it may just be time for a new extruder drive gear. What do people like for a Bowden setup?

Funzo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 31, 2018