Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/gilbertjasono/status/978667487536566273

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
self checkout is great except i always forget about the beer and 30% off food i picked up 2 minutes ago and then i have to stand there like an idiot waiting for the attendant to okay the purchases

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
in college, i would trade stolen goods for weed since my dealer lived 2 rooms down the hall and really respected the barter system.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Wheany posted:

self checkout is great except i always forget about the beer and 30% off food i picked up 2 minutes ago and then i have to stand there like an idiot waiting for the attendant to okay the purchases

the liquor dept at the grocery store i go to is separate from the rest of the store and nobody is ever on the self checkouts, even when the manned lines are 10 deep. takes like 2 seconds to turn around and flash my id to the cashier on the manned register in the rare case they ask instead of just ok'ing it remotely, and i'm out in like 2 minutes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

self check out is gr8. i use it all the time

agreeing with shaggar

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the shoplifting subreddit got banned, lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

self check out is gr8. i use it all the time

finally proof shaggar is so much of a misanthrope that it doesn't matter what it costs him

my time is worth money so i prefer to leave checkout to the professionals

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/caseyjohnston/status/979376249771618305

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Nothing says private like a huge fuckoff door window displaying you to the world

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

UnfurledSails posted:

Nothing says private like a huge fuckoff door window displaying you to the world

well if harry potter's the face of your product then you need to show that poo poo off.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i love these stories that come up when yet another startup reinvents the shame cube

there's like 8 different brands of them already but nope this one came up with it and it's the future of private space!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway here's my crimes dot text:

when i was younger i shoplifted from a walgreens a few times and once this short fat balding parody of a middle manager caught me and got all fat guy mad and yelled something ridiculous like NEVER COME BACK TO THIS WALGREENS AGAIN YOU DIRTY SCOUNDREL

two months later that walgreens closed forever and was demolished to make way for a new building, which i'd like to think was entirely my doing :colbert:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

i love these stories that come up when yet another startup reinvents the shame cube

there's like 8 different brands of them already but nope this one came up with it and it's the future of private space!!

wake me up when they start building suicide booths like in the king in yellow.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

finally proof shaggar is so much of a misanthrope that it doesn't matter what it costs him

my time is worth money so i prefer to leave checkout to the professionals

:same:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

anyway here's my crimes dot text:

when i was younger i shoplifted from a walgreens a few times and once this short fat balding parody of a middle manager caught me and got all fat guy mad and yelled something ridiculous like NEVER COME BACK TO THIS WALGREENS AGAIN YOU DIRTY SCOUNDREL

two months later that walgreens closed forever and was demolished to make way for a new building, which i'd like to think was entirely my doing :colbert:

you stole the one thing they were hoping to sell to stay out of the red, you monster

maybe this is why javert was so mad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

haveblue posted:

you stole the one thing they were hoping to sell to stay out of the red, you monster

maybe this is why javert was so mad

fun fact: that loaf of bread jean valjean stole put javert's favorite pret a manger out of business

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

in highschool my friend bought his girlfriend a led zeppelin box set at best buy. when she opened the shrink wrap it was literally empty, like no disks at all. he tried to return it and of course best buy was like 'lol sure buddy'. anyway he decided he would get revenge on them, so that summer our entire group of friends would cycle through stealing playstation memory cards (which weren't locked up or tagged) and returning them for store credit. good times, he probably got them for $500 less the $40 or $50 he lost on the original gift.

anyway now he's dead, rip dave, you were a chill and righteous dude

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

One of my buddies in college was a full-blown klepto. He had a few thousand dollars worth of stuff that he'd stolen from campus. Ended up getting banned for life from the local Best Buy 'cause he got caught stealing video games one too many times

He was a good guy though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

it's a me, target canada!

rip infernal machines

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

can i pay extra to trap the nerds inside

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

leftist heap posted:

can i pay extra to trap the nerds inside

There's a nonzero chance the tech will malfunction or get hacked and the door will remain locked with the person inside.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

in high school the skater kids with those enormous jnco jeans would stand next to the drink cooler in the cafeteria and drop bottle after bottle of iced tea and gatorade into their pockets. we aren't talking about one or two either, they would drop 7 or 8 bottles into those pockets and you couldn't tell, like the reverse of watching those clowns get out of the tiny car.

the secret service also staked out our school and busted some kid for passing inkjet $20 bills in the lunch line. he would have gotten away with it if he only did it once or twice (or at least spaced it out), but when counterfeit currency showed up in the bank deposit for two days in a row they knew something was up, called the secret service and started discretely hitting anything larger than $5 with one of those pens.

i also had a friend who used to steal cds from walmart. the joke was on him though because at that time walmart would commission special censored versions of music and games, so all the gangster rap cds he stole had half of the lyrics missing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lonely/horny people is serious business

quote:

Bumble alleges Match Group stole trade secrets through “fraudulent” behavior and hurt Bumble’s chances of selling an equity investment, or the company altogether, by filing its own patent infringement lawsuit against Bumble earlier this month. Bumble’s suit described Match’s legal action as “chilling the market for an investment in Bumble.”

Bumble’s suit also claims that Match Group used its position as a potential acquirer to gather Bumble’s private business information during due diligence for competitive reasons. The lawsuit claims Match Group offered to buy Bumble for $450 million last June, what Bumble referred to as a “lowball” offer, then failed to make a serious offer even after looking under the hood at Bumble’s business.

The two sides were still talking about a potential acquisition earlier this year, according to multiple sources, but then Match filed its patent infringement lawsuit this month, taking Bumble by surprise.

“Unwilling to pay fair value for Bumble, Match tried to poison Bumble in the investment market by filing bogus intellectual property claims to wrongfully disparage the Bumble platform,” the lawsuit reads.

Now Bumble wants $400 million.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
is american money really that easy to fake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume this would have been back in the 90s ish and yes, at that point it was basically just linen paper with green and black ink on it

They've added a few security features since then but it still doesn't compare to e.g. Canadian plastic money with holograms and cutouts and poo poo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Not really but the cashier who handles dozens to hundred of bills a day probably goes on autopilot and isn't, like checking the paperfeel of each bill

Besides which they are not paid close to enough to confront someone about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm sure fishmech will show up in a few minutes to explain to me all of the security features in the 1988-1996 series bills

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Not a Children posted:

Not really but the cashier who handles dozens to hundred of bills a day probably goes on autopilot and isn't, like checking the paperfeel of each bill

Besides which they are not paid close to enough to confront someone about it

true

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sagebrush posted:

I'm sure fishmech will show up in a few minutes to explain to me all of the security features in the 1988-1996 series bills

the most important one is the curse.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The_Franz posted:

i also had a friend who used to steal cds from walmart. the joke was on him though because at that time walmart would commission special censored versions of music and games, so all the gangster rap cds he stole had half of the lyrics missing.

i dont think wal mart "commissioned" those. iirc they just played hardball and said "release edited versions of your albums or we dont sell them at all"

i guess thats the same thing sorta tho

e: and they didnt do it for games

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 29, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
one time at the lcbo i took an american $100 bill without thinking and didn't even use the pen. it was genuine, which was a big surprise

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

one of those by steelcase was demoed to me recently and imho its a cool concept for the worst possible solution to open space office garbage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

one of those by steelcase was demoed to me recently and imho its a cool concept for the worst possible solution to open space office garbage

what if we made them bigger and gave one to everybody???

reminder the peon bureaucrat in "brazil" had a nicer office than 99% of six figgie computer touchers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

what if we made them bigger and gave one to everybody???

yeah lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We have a few of those in our SF office. theyre lol. I've used one tho just for the novelty, its fine.

here in the new denver office w have uhh 15 meeting rooms and average 10-12 people that actually come into work on any given day, so its super cush. sometimes i book two rooms for one meeting on opposite sites of the building in case the climate control in one of them is being weird

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

one time at the lcbo i took an american $100 bill without thinking and didn't even use the pen. it was genuine, which was a big surprise

It's endlessly amusing to me when Canadian places near the border accept American money. Imagine a Canadian going to the US and trying the same thing :allears:

e: though it's also endlessly entertaining when an American comes into a Canadian store and gets indignant that they won't take US money because "everyone else around here does it!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

It's endlessly amusing to me when Canadian places near the border accept American money. Imagine a Canadian going to the US and trying the same thing :allears:

e: though it's also endlessly entertaining when an American comes into a Canadian store and gets indignant that they won't take US money because "everyone else around here does it!"

it was in gravenhurst, where a lot of american tourists pass through for a vacation

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I assume this would have been back in the 90s ish and yes, at that point it was basically just linen paper with green and black ink on it

They've added a few security features since then but it still doesn't compare to e.g. Canadian plastic money with holograms and cutouts and poo poo

yeah, this was in the late 90s when photo-quality inkjet printers became cheap and ubiquitous. $20 bills had a security thread, microprint and all that stuff at the time, but the middle-aged lunch ladies weren't exactly taking the time to inspect every bill when they had a long line of people waiting, especially when things like this never really happened before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Improbable Lobster posted:

is american money really that easy to fake

No, that's why he got caught.