Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My house fire story is that I walked away from the stove when heating a pan of oil on high.

Well at least I have a well seasoned cast iron pan(yeah!) and one data point of "oh poo poo, poo poo is going down, go grab and use the fire extinguisher."(lol that's only one time and like someone mentioned above about people becoming stupic NPCs, I could easiler be more stupid "next time.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Gorilla Salad posted:

Many of those alarms are either useless or so distracting and overwhelming they make things more dangerous. As you found out, loud screaming noises diminish our ability to function well. Add in a fire and it can be life threatening.

They work great as burglar alarms because, in that instance, you want them to be all confused and poo poo.

The problem comes when people decided to take the "louder is better" and apply it to situations where people need to be able to think clearly or they die.

Speaking of alarms, there was a study done more than a decade ago on why children and teens overrepresented in the data for house fire deaths, specifically in those homes with fire alarms. Turns out, the horrible annoying high pitch alarms do not reliably wake children up when they're in deep sleep.

You need a low pitch, bass sound or they won't even stir. A recorded voice clip is even better, preferably a mature woman.

It's been well over ten years since that finding, with dozens more experiments confirming the findings, but the vast majority of smoke detectors still don't have a low pitch alarm capable of waking a child.
I've got a sensory processing disorder and fire alarms actually freeze me in place because the sound and strobe lights (when in a school building) are so overstimulating and overwhelming. I can eventually manage to get a grip enough to move if I cover my ears, but it takes significant effort to do stuff like get shoes on or open doors because that involves moving my hands away.

In an actual fire situation with the additional level of people panicking or shoving, I would absolutely die horribly.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gorilla Salad posted:

Many of those alarms are either useless or so distracting and overwhelming they make things more dangerous. As you found out, loud screaming noises diminish our ability to function well. Add in a fire and it can be life threatening.

They work great as burglar alarms because, in that instance, you want them to be all confused and poo poo.

The problem comes when people decided to take the "louder is better" and apply it to situations where people need to be able to think clearly or they die.

Speaking of alarms, there was a study done more than a decade ago on why children and teens overrepresented in the data for house fire deaths, specifically in those homes with fire alarms. Turns out, the horrible annoying high pitch alarms do not reliably wake children up when they're in deep sleep.

You need a low pitch, bass sound or they won't even stir. A recorded voice clip is even better, preferably a mature woman.

It's been well over ten years since that finding, with dozens more experiments confirming the findings, but the vast majority of smoke detectors still don't have a low pitch alarm capable of waking a child.

oh so that's why the smoke detectors in this apartment are capable of yelling at me when their batteries get low

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:siren: :tif: :siren: :tif: :siren: :tif: :siren:

SHAMELESS FIRE SAFETY PLUG

The American Red Cross partners with local fire departments, agencies, and community volunteers to install smoke detectors in peoples houses. The program is called "Sound the Alarm", and it's a key part of the "Home Fire Campaign".

We hold the event all over the United States, several times a year. We're always looking for people willing to help out: people who aren't comfortable installing the alarms can still help with event preparation, canvassing, or educating children about fire safety.

If a person needs alarms in their house but requires specialized alarms we should be able to make accommodations. You may schedule an installation on an alternative date and time at the discretion of your local chapter.

Unfortunately, these installations are limited to homes: landlords are expected to pay for and install smoke detectors for their apartments.

"Sound The Alarm" has saved nearly 400 lives over the past four years, and over 1 million smoke alarms have been installed.

For more information, please check out https://www.redcross.org/sound-the-alarm

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Now that I’m afraid of club fires, water park fires, and invisible fires, I think I’ll accept your advice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

our autonomous robot cars have a taste for flesh and can't be stopped

https://twitter.com/dannoyes/status/979165525912690688

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FCKGW posted:

our autonomous robot cars have a taste for flesh and can't be stopped

https://twitter.com/dannoyes/status/979165525912690688

Why would he continue to use autopilot in the area? :psyduck:

If your car repeatedly tried to murder you, why continue to let it try?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Because he can't go back to driving a mundane Audi, dammit!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cause heavenly Pete is an unreliable creepy little poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Last time I was in the smoke alarm aisle I saw some voice alert models and thought “I don’t want a goddamn computer voice yelling at me when I burn toast”.
I need a smoke alarm that I can shout "I'm only cooking!" at to disable it for 20 minutes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Collateral Damage posted:

I need a smoke alarm that I can shout "I'm only cooking!" at to disable it for 20 minutes.

Mine should shout "Ohshitfuckshitfuck" when enabled.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Mine should shout "Ohshitfuckshitfuck" when enabled.

Mine should play :piss:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This "redneck contraptions and fails" compilation has a whole bunch of OSHA moments but the giraffo-car deserves a special mention. The bowling ball cannon is also something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kd86-wBtig&t=28s

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

PhazonLink posted:

My house fire story is that I walked away from the stove when heating a pan of oil on high.

I did this in high school while attempting to fry tater tots

I had a girl over and was trying to impress her and got distracted

I learned recently that my mom turned the story into I burned Mac and cheese to a flame and was like geez mom gimme more credit, my negligence took way less time than that

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

There was a fire in my block of flats last year while I was asleep (Saturday morning, 8am, demented old man who lives in the flat below had fallen asleep with a cigarette in his hand and set fire to his bed.) Fire alarms going off in the corridor? Didn't wake me up. Neighbour banging on the door? Didn't wake me up. Cat screaming and biting my hands because he could smell smoke? Woke me the gently caress up.

Solution: replace fire alarms with a system to release distressed cats into the rooms of sleeping people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Werong Bustope posted:

Cat screaming and biting my hands because he could smell smoke? Woke me the gently caress up.

Did you know that when you're asleep your sense of smell turns off?

A whole lot of dead people out there who thought, "Oh, I don't need an alarm, I'd smell the smoke and wake up."

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Did you know that when you're asleep your sense of smell turns off?

A whole lot of dead people out there who thought, "Oh, I don't need an alarm, I'd smell the smoke and wake up."

:smith:

Yeah, people are real dumb about fire. I'm lucky in that my dad is ultra paranoid about fire and has trained me from a young age to always have an evac plan in place before anything happens, so once I was up instinct kicked in and it was grab cat by the scruff > grab jumper/shoes/keys that I always keep by the door > get out without having to think about it. Probably 15-20 seconds from waking up to being out of the building

The scary thing is that all the shouting and alarms etc. just got translated into part of my dream. If it hadn't been for the enervating effect of having the poo poo bitten out of me, it would have taken minutes or more to wake up enough to realise I needed to get out. The flats have individual alarms, so it's possible that if it had been my alarm going off instead of the corridor system I'd have woken up sooner, but it was definitely an unnerving realisation that the alarm didn't register as DANGER straight away.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Werong Bustope posted:

Solution: replace fire alarms with a system to release distressed cats into the rooms of sleeping people.

My cat woke me up one night when I had accidentally left the stove on after the flame had burned out. House was full of gas (and of course the house was all sealed up for winter too). I don’t know if it was the gas or because it was three AM but I remember feeling really stupid and it took me a while to figure out what was going on because I think I had become acclimated to the smell. But I just had that feeling “something isn’t right here”, and the cat keep being weird, so I stumbled around until I figured it out.

My cat also wakes me up for food, attention, and spite - so there’d be a lot of false positives on that system.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Good news on this front. UL is actually changing their listing requirements so that all new smokes after 2020 will have to pass a battery of false fire tests. They will be required to distinguish between cooking fires and other common false alarm sources.

I know I'll be buying new ones as soon as the listing changes.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Knockknees posted:

My cat woke me up one night when I had accidentally left the stove on after the flame had burned out. House was full of gas (and of course the house was all sealed up for winter too). I don’t know if it was the gas or because it was three AM but I remember feeling really stupid and it took me a while to figure out what was going on because I think I had become acclimated to the smell. But I just had that feeling “something isn’t right here”, and the cat keep being weird, so I stumbled around until I figured it out.

My cat also wakes me up for food, attention, and spite - so there’d be a lot of false positives on that system.

The same guy who almost set the whole building on fire also almost gassed us all to death by not noticing that his boiler was leaking. I had to very gently coax him and most of my neighbours out of the building while we waited for NatGrid to turn up and it's both terrifying and astonishing to realise a significant number of people actually can't smell gas that well, especially if they're older.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Good news on this front. UL is actually changing their listing requirements so that all new smokes after 2020 will have to pass a battery of false fire tests. They will be required to distinguish between cooking fires and other common false alarm sources.

I know I'll be buying new ones as soon as the listing changes.

Well that gives me ideas. Tell me when cause Imma arson your poo poo rotisserie style. Imma sauté your couch and deep fry your playstation. Sizzle your shizzle with a twig of rosemary.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Speaking of horrible fires, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-43579108

Looks like we just need one more for the hat trick of horrible mass casualty fire incidents this week.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Speaking of sirens designed to be unsettling, when Chicagos tornado sirens overlap and echo off the high rises, you really know what the Apocalypse will sound like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_oX6SURRE

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Xpostin from the schad thread:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is normal and fine

https://i.imgur.com/Q0I8zap.gifv

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Knockknees posted:

I think you'll find that those are all emergencies to your cat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Heffer posted:

Speaking of sirens designed to be unsettling, when Chicagos tornado sirens overlap and echo off the high rises, you really know what the Apocalypse will sound like

One of my friends moved out here for work with his wife from NY. The first time one of the "9AM 1st Tuesday of the Month" alarm tests went off, his wife thought it was the end of the world not having any real context regarding these huge mechanical banshees.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://i.imgur.com/3kaQonO.mp4

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

NOPE NOPE NOPE

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Well thanks, thread, I've now learned the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms, and talked Mrs. Doctor into a set of 10 year battery alarms for the bedrooms.
E: My kitchen alarm is directly above my toaster and it sucks. :argh:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Werong Bustope posted:

There was a fire in my block of flats last year while I was asleep (Saturday morning, 8am, demented old man who lives in the flat below had fallen asleep with a cigarette in his hand and set fire to his bed.) Fire alarms going off in the corridor? Didn't wake me up. Neighbour banging on the door? Didn't wake me up. Cat screaming and biting my hands because he could smell smoke? Woke me the gently caress up.

The one sound that will make literally any cat owner come to full wakefulness and sobriety. Instantly

uck uck uck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Cp2aP1vwk

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

THE FOAMINATOR

Your posts are great, please keep it up!

Kibayasu posted:

I don't know how much it has to compare it to modern fire trucks but Regular Car Reviews drove a 1982 fire truck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4V8xWJyPw
This is one of my favourites. I absolutely love the last line

Mr Regular posted:

A firetruck is the best part of someone's worst day

Gorilla Salad posted:

A recorded voice clip is even better, preferably a mature woman.
I read something in an airplanes-are-cool magazine when I was a kid, maybe 11 years old or so, about how jet fighters had some of the most important alerts set up as the airplane telling the pilot what was wrong in the voice of his (at the time, all fighter pilots were men) wife, girlfriend, or mother. The Air Force had these women come in and record the warnings for their pilots, so the airplanes would say things like "Honey, your left engine is on fire".

Heffer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_oX6SURRE
This is really interesting. Also, it raised a question for me (probably a stupid question): What would happen if a tornado hit a high-rise? Like, a decent F2 or F3 makes direct contact with a 25-story apartment or office block.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

seems like a really great way to die

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Confirmed. My dad and all the other firefighters he worked with are all deaf as gently caress now.

Friend of mine is on permanent disability because some rear end in a top hat in his station thought it would be funny to blip the siren while his head was right next to it. Didn't just destroy the hearing in that ear, it ruined his vestibular sense.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Christ, it almost seems safer to wait for a wave to drop the side with the gangplank on it and jump from there.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

koshmar posted:

Was this in Columbus? There was a recycling plant on the south side off of Parsons that caught fire twice in 2016.

The first time was tires and the second time was pallets. Whats the deal with Columbus and recycling plant fires.

Edit: Not Columbus, but they did have a recycling plant fire on Sunday too.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/recycling-plant-fire-spreads-smoke-over-west-side-of-columbus

The metal scrapyard down the street from my office burns on the regular and always makes the town smell like welding. I had no idea scrap metal was so flammable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ExecuDork posted:

I read something in an airplanes-are-cool magazine when I was a kid, maybe 11 years old or so, about how jet fighters had some of the most important alerts set up as the airplane telling the pilot what was wrong in the voice of his (at the time, all fighter pilots were men) wife, girlfriend, or mother. The Air Force had these women come in and record the warnings for their pilots, so the airplanes would say things like "Honey, your left engine is on fire".

I remember that too.

If I recall, they would have the pilot's kids record warnings because fathers really paid attention to them.
I can't find any references to it becoming a reality.

Now I think about, plummeting to your death in a burning jet is bad enough, you really don't want it pleading 'Daddy, please pull up' as it happens

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spog posted:

Now I think about, plummeting to your death in a burning jet is bad enough, you really don't want it pleading 'Daddy, please pull up' as it happens

:stonk:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

This is really interesting. Also, it raised a question for me (probably a stupid question): What would happen if a tornado hit a high-rise? Like, a decent F2 or F3 makes direct contact with a 25-story apartment or office block.

A lot of high velocity glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The trick is to make all your tall buildings stone monoliths with tiny windows at the top.

Just don't ever have any earthquakes.