Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Roobanguy posted:

the one that got merchandise got picked for the next season, color me shocked. :geno:
you realize they probably made the merch because they had already decided on Amnesty, right....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

"stories should be about things", says crazy man, "and not just be fart fart joke and/or world-ending melodramas, especially if the author has already spent 69 episodes on a fundamentally themeless fart fart melodrama"

"stories should be about things," says crazy man, who loves a tv show where a woman is turned into a paving stone and her boyfriend facefucks her for the rest of her life

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

DoctorWhat posted:

"stories should be about things", says crazy man, "and not just be fart fart joke and/or world-ending melodramas, especially if the author has already spent 69 episodes on a fundamentally themeless fart fart melodrama"

Sounds like you just don’t like TAZ at all, which begs the question why you’re posting about it

I’m hyped for Amnesty. I’m confident it will be better than the mini-arc.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I actually like the one-on-ones, since I think it helps build up the relationships between the players and the NPCs (otherwise it's too easy when the party is together to just hang out with each other) and also lets the players stay in-character for an extended period which helps shape their character's voice. I agree though that overuse of it detracts from the core "family of jokesters makes jokes together" appeal and can lead to too much railroading, but some happy medium would be good.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I still think one of the biggest issues with the mini arcs is the shift away from a rule & number heavy system of d&d to the more abstract styles of the new system. I feel like the boys need some hard crunch to work around so they can actually get good goofs. And the new system has managed so suck all the fun out of combat encounters too, since it feels like no one has any actual set abilities.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean

TAZ was about things, just not real world sociopolitical issues?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ALFbrot posted:

"stories should be about things," says crazy man, who loves a tv show where a woman is turned into a paving stone and her boyfriend facefucks her for the rest of her life

there's also many, many episodes like Gridlock or Oxygen where they explicitly overthrow capitalism so I'll give a few lovely stories over a 55-year history a pass.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Sounds like you just don’t like TAZ at all, which begs the question why you’re posting about it

I’m hyped for Amnesty. I’m confident it will be better than the mini-arc.

I cried in front of dozens of people at the end of Balance and loved listening to it. But I don't want the same kind of story again.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'll give Amnesty 2-3 episodes and if it isn't better than the pilot version of it I'll just unsubscribe until they do something else. I don't really like the characters (besides Justin's obviously) and did not care for the way it was running

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A Very Special Episode of the Adventure Zone is the worst sounding thing I've ever heard and is reassurance that as bad as TAZ could become, it couldn't be any worse than a goon edition

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I cried in front of dozens of people at the end of Balance and loved listening to it. But I don't want the same kind of story again.

You said stories should be about things and not fart fart melodramas, then called Balance a fart fart melodrama. It is literally what you are criticizing. Either you don’t actually know what you want from a story or you didn’t actually like Balance.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Griffin, doing his sincere narration voice: "today I want to talk to you guys about a very real problem in West Virginia, and that's drugs"

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

This thread has convinced me that no one likes anything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stroop There It Is posted:

same but "this whole forum"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

it's much easier for people to complain about things, and goons are notoriously bad at dealing with other people saying they like things

anyway, here's some tweets
https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/979355513250107392
https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/979356051584765952
https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/979356521330020352
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/979370425099735042

Serf
May 5, 2011

west virginia ranks 49th in terms of the human development index of american states

but them not talking about that is not interesting or remarkable in the slightest. most people don't want to hear about real-world issues in their elfgame podcast

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
writing mysteries really is the hardest

like any form of creative writing is already like giving yourself open heart surgery but then mystery writing is giving that scalpel to a stranger and going "I know what's wrong with me but I want you to figure it out"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I feel bad for Griffin that he doesn’t get to play and has to do all the hard work again but at the same time he’s better suited to that than playing imo.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Man, this thread is going to now be several months of people saying they'll give Amnesty "one more episode" before they quit, and others popping in every time an episode drops to say how they haven't bothered listening to any of it, huh? Along with the same copy and pasted posts about "railroading" and "why's it not funny anymore?!" that have comprised the last 20 pages of the thread.

Cool.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Man, this thread is going to now be several months of people saying they'll give Amnesty "one more episode" before they quit, and others popping in every time an episode drops to say how they haven't bothered listening to any of it, huh? Along with the same copy and pasted posts about "railroading" and "why's it not funny anymore?!" that have comprised the last 20 pages of the thread.

Cool.

Also your post every two pages

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

DoctorWhat posted:

Amnesty is gonna run for another 64 episodes and none of them will be about anything real. It's WEST VIRGINIA - talk about addiction, incarceration, economic death, make the drat show ABOUT something, PLEASE! Because the pilot was about approximately nothing.

But if Dust's refusal to even touch on Old West racism and sexism is any indication, Actual Politics beyond (well-intentioned and valuable) representation are apparently a no-go.

Wait a minute are you trying to tell me this isn't pasted from somewhere else

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Serf posted:

west virginia ranks 49th in terms of the human development index of american states

but them not talking about that is not interesting or remarkable in the slightest. most people don't want to hear about real-world issues in their elfgame podcast

Going back to Friends at the Table that's a show that is About Stuff kind of in the way Doctor What is talking about. Counter//Weight is very much about labor and capitalism and how to affect social change, the halflings in Hieron are basically gentrificaiton personified, etc

but also that's a podcast done by people equipped to have those discussions and not four middle class white straight dudes who pretty much stumbled onto their livelihood. Maybe even bigger than that is there's no way to maintain the tone of TAZ and tackle those issues unless they're used as glorified window dressing. So we're going to get "big picture" morals and stories like Balance being about life and bonds and found family and stuff and not political takes.

Which is itself a political take but whatever! It's not what this show wants or needs to be.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 29, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't want the show to get real-world serious and tackle WV's drug problem, it's boring enough when it gets fantasy-serious.

The entire strength of everything the McElroys do is off-the-cuff humour-- whether it's applied to video games or tabletop or random Yahoo Answers prompts. What made the Amnesty pilot dull as dishwater was the lack thereof, and it's not helped by the fact that it's caught in the shadow of existing media that's not only more polished but also already funnier.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
What a revoltin' development.

Not trying to be a dick, but Dust was the first time in a while I got back to downloading episodes day-of, even with Travis' heinous voice acting. Ah well, this was ultimately inevitable.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also your post every two pages

Funny how it keeps being relevant.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I HATE TAZ, I HATE THE MCELROYS AND I HATE THIS THREAD

I'll give Amnesty a shot, but if I'm seriously looking forward to anything it's that Justin one shot. Christ that phrase alone gets me excited.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yes, Amnesty should definitely get away from fantasy bigfoots and goatmans and instead focus on Ned's crippling meth addiction and Aubrey burning down the lodge for the insurance money. Then Duck can look at his sword and say 'oh, you!' and a laugh track will play. Fits the tone perfectly.

Realtalk, though, I don't go to my fun time RPG podcasts to dive deep into the cauldron of poo poo that is the real world. I go there to get away from that. And I'd hazard a guess that WV McElroy fans would generally be happier if the show reflected the good things about the state and didn't focus on the bad ones, which are generally all that is ever reported in the news anyway.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Imagine living a life where you think good fantasy/sci-fi stories are just literally about elves and androids

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea I'm not super happy Amnesty ended up getting the spot but I am pretty confident they'll be able to work out the issues I had, that people have mentioned already, and make something fun. Just gotta let the chars bounce off each other more is all I think.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

mbmbam is good. anyone remember that podcast?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Giving FatT a shot is what made me realize that story/characters are good but what Im really here for is goofs and Amnesty probably was the least fun. Not really looking forward to this but Ill still give it a few episodes.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Always Sunny Title Card:

Tres Horny Boys Solve The Opioid Crisis

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh thank god they made the right choice

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I was actually hoping they would have scrapped all of the mini-arcs and done something new for Season 2 to avoid the massive bullshit of "why was this picked over the others" and "oh i hated that one."

Give me the space-faring pseudo-Serenity adventure I so desperately crave

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

StalkofWheat posted:

I still think one of the biggest issues with the mini arcs is the shift away from a rule & number heavy system of d&d to the more abstract styles of the new system. I feel like the boys need some hard crunch to work around so they can actually get good goofs. And the new system has managed so suck all the fun out of combat encounters too, since it feels like no one has any actual set abilities.

This is my big concern with everything post-Balance. I really like that quantification that D&D brings and the newer systems feel more like "we're making stuff up and sometimes rolling dice" and less "we're playing a game and acting within the rules of the game", but as I listened to more of the mini-arcs I started to get the hang of them. I'd like for them to go back to D&D at some point though.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Did anyone ever fail at anything in the mini-arcs, save Griffin failing to drink a root beer, which was clearly intentional and probably not what he actually rolled

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Inzombiac posted:

The TAZ jizz cave is like episode 2.

Oh right, I remember now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ALFbrot posted:

Did anyone ever fail at anything in the mini-arcs, save Griffin failing to drink a root beer, which was clearly intentional and probably not what he actually rolled

A lot of times people rolled successes which Griffin basically treated as failures because that's how he imagined the story going. Most egregious example being Aubrey timing to do a simple card trick, successfully, and Griffin going "Oh well it worked uh, TOO well, the entire stage explodes"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Serf posted:

Yeesh, which poor state is 50th?

Not particularly excited about Amnesty, but I've been wrong about things before so we'll see how this plays out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeesh, which poor state is 50th?

Not particularly excited about Amnesty, but I've been wrong about things before so we'll see how this plays out.

It's actually 3rd from worst, because they include DC on the list and bring it to 51, and while I didn't guess #50, #51 was a very easy one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_American_Human_Development_Index

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Re-listening to Amnesty now and I'm looking forward to these three idiots trying to figure out how to kill a monster every arc